RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 12/03/18 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5v-X8BqVt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zge5epgf0ddg

I dunno. I think Arike just models herself after Taurasi. Shocked NOT good, not excusable, yes....but certainly NOT new to the game.

PostPosted: 12/03/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5v-X8BqVt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zge5epgf0ddg

I dunno. I think Arike just models herself after Taurasi. Shocked NOT good, not excusable, yes....but certainly NOT new to the game.

Taurasi was a huge trash talker in college but the F bombs didn't start until she went pro. And in any case she never stooped to taking cheap shots (tripping, clothslining) like No 24 did Sunday.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/03/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Wow. I should call my farmer nephews because there is a whole lotta bullshit being thrown.

I was at the game and sit near press row. I never saw anything close to what you're relaying. I heard a couple of fans talking about what an ass and what a punk Geno is. I don't think anyone, even Geno, would deny that.

I heard another fan congratulate some UConn fans. Very cordial conversation.

Were there UConn fans that were seated next to ND fans? Probably. You have to expect that when you're buying single game tickets.

The announcer has NEVER, in all of the games that I have attended done anything to negatively incite the crowd. Does he raise his voice when announcing an ND basket? Yes. Does he simply state that a basket was scored by the opponent? Yes. No different than any other arena I've been in. Trust me when I say that I've been in a lot of them. (I could start a list if you'd like. I'm guessing 50 would be a good # to start with. Go up from there.)

I've been attending ND games since 1988-1989. Thirty years. I have NEVER, EVER seen or heard any of the things that you're saying. I'm not saying that it didn't happen. I'm not that naive to think that when you put 9,000 people into a small space that everyone will behave like their mamas taught them. I've never seen it and I know that if I had, I would have said something to the offending fan. I'm pretty sure that anyone of the other 8,998 fans would have done the same.

Consider the source.

Oh, I do. That was for any non-regulars that don't know what goes on around here.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Taurasi was a huge trash talker in college but the F bombs didn't start until she went pro. And in any case she never stooped to taking cheap shots (tripping, clothslining) like No 24 did Sunday.

I don't remember her actions in college, but as a pro, DT stoops to a lot of cheap shots. [Doesn't excuse anyone else.] But it's always made it hard for me to 'like' her even though she's an amazing bball player.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/03/18 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
A major key to the game has to be the face guarding of No 24 by Dangerfield. She must have really gotten into her head because I never saw Arike lose her cool like that. Looking past the two assaults on Dangerfield late in the game, there were plays where she just stopped playing. I saw her stop at the sideline near halfcourt and just stand there watching her team try and play defense. While she isn't the first to quit on herself and her team mates during a game it certainlty didn't enhance any shot she had at POY. You can pull stunts like that when playing at one of the weak sisters of the ACC with 200 people in the stands and limited video like BC but when you do it on national TV as the No 1 team in the country it gets magnified.

I wonder if, after being on Ellen and dancing on TV, she lost touch with her ego.

Did you miss the 1st bs Ogunner pulled, just a couple mins in? It starts at 6:24 of the 1st.

She also undercut Williams on one of CW's drives- the and one when she landed on her butt. 7:40 in the 4th.

She and Mabrey. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/04/18 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
A major key to the game has to be the face guarding of No 24 by Dangerfield. She must have really gotten into her head because I never saw Arike lose her cool like that. Looking past the two assaults on Dangerfield late in the game, there were plays where she just stopped playing. I saw her stop at the sideline near halfcourt and just stand there watching her team try and play defense. While she isn't the first to quit on herself and her team mates during a game it certainlty didn't enhance any shot she had at POY. You can pull stunts like that when playing at one of the weak sisters of the ACC with 200 people in the stands and limited video like BC but when you do it on national TV as the No 1 team in the country it gets magnified.

I wonder if, after being on Ellen and dancing on TV, she lost touch with her ego.

Did you miss the 1st bs Ogunner pulled, just a couple mins in? It starts at 6:24 of the 1st.

She also undercut Williams on one of CW's drives- the and one when she landed on her butt. 7:40 in the 4th.

She and Mabrey. Rolling Eyes

I'll watch it tomorrow. At MM's presser she said they were supposed to be feeding it inside all game. Even I thought that. But I wonder if Arike saw an ESPN2 nationwide game as a rare stage for her talents and was playing a different game from her team mates.
Oh, to be a fly on the wall of the postgame Irish locker room.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn executed with ease in their halfcourt offense even in the absence of their 3pt game. ND was surprisingly lacking in same, and resorted more than usual to individualism. ND was also weaker on defense than I expected.

CBiebel wrote:
While not prolific, UConn's 3 point shooting was better than ND and played a key role in the game, as did rebounding (which I didn't expect).

But this gives ND stuff to work on.

In the offseason, I expressed concerns about Shepard and Turner in the frontcourt together. Part of what made Notre Dame very successful last year was the ability of Kathryn Westbeld to go both inside and outside, being a threat from three (even if she did not have the best percentage, she had to be guarded).

Yesterday, Notre Dame went 1-12 from three, with all attempts from Mabrey and Ogunbowale.

The other thing Westbeld did very well was being a "mover" with the ball. She may have averaged 2.38 assists last year, but she was also, in the games that I saw, someone who facilitated the pass that led to an assist (in other words, the hockey assist).

Going forward, I would like to see Notre Dame make adjustments in these areas, demonstrating quicker ball movement and seeing if Shepard can show off three-point prowess (she made 28-89 -- 31.5 percent -- as a sophomore at Nebraska).

ND has had a weird early season. Mabrey was out until the OSU game with a quadriceps injury. Her backup at PG (Freshman Jordan Nixon) was put on concussion protocol after the DePaul game (3 games into the season). She's still on it and hasn't played since. Shepard had some foot issues (or ankle or something like that) which was likely why McGraw held her out of the Drake game. Freshman guard Katlyn Gilbert is supposed to be out for a while with a shoulder injury that she suffered in the Iowa game.

Basically, it's like they haven't had the opportunity to try to come together as a unit (Yes, I know 4 returning starters, but apparently McGraw went back to the "Let's mainly feed Turner" offense) because of all this stuff.

It's only 8 games in and previous strong ND teams often took longer to really click. Last year it wasn't really until the 2nd half of the Tennessee game. In 2015 it was right after the loss to Miami.

The worst part of this is that we have to wait until Saturday for the next game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: