RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/02/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Acsuc99 says,

I let out some Woah Ho Ho's on Little Rock's performance! What a performance and what a SOUTHERN DOLL.

And thank God Christyn was on her game early because our experience players looked spooked early.

ONO gave some great minutes off the bench and held her own against ND's bigs.

Meg and Collier rock solid. Impressed we built the lead with Collier on bench.

We had an answer every time the crowd got into it.

Samuelson was good in 2nd half...terrible 1st half. Tries to do too much! And what was up with her acting all dramatic over the unintentional elbow 1st half? Boners would hammer an opposing player for doing that. But much better 2nd half.

Jackie Young and Jess Shepherd very good for ND. Arike hits some good shots too but seemed to forced some. Mabrey still working her way back. ND wore down as the game went on in 4th QTR. UConn seemed a little better conditioned this early in the season. The Muff will get them better by March.

Started to get chippy!

I must say, i am surprised by the result. Pleasantly!

Last edited by acsuc99 on 12/02/18 8:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Does this mean UCONN is bad for WCB again? Crying or Very sad

I hope you didn't get that from my post.

I thought UConn played exceptionally well, and their play was great for WCB. Sorry for sounding bitter. I hope ND learns from this game and uses the way they feel right now when they see UConn again in the NCAA's. The Irish have a lot of work to do, but UConn played great.

And Notre Dame played disappointingly poorly. They also seemed to quit in the fourth quarter, which was even more disappointing and was the first time I recall seeing that from a McGraw team.

I think they were really frustrated with their play.

UConn played the best game I've seen them play in a long while. Really strong and effective basketball.

Well last year ND got truly blown out by Louisville and did ok the rest of the season. So we need to see how they respond to this.

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/02/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that ND was able to hang with UConn for so long -- within five to ten points. I looked at their schedule and they have only Louisville and Tennessee to possible give them trouble. So they are a #1 seed come March.

Shocked that Ogunbowale was able to mug Dangerfield and not get called. Arike should try that rough stuff with Southern University. There are a couple of girls on that team that would've dropped her like a bad habit. You can ask Baylor.

Baylor is not ready for UConn yet (ESPN 1/3/19) -- superior guard play. Very impressed with the way the Huskies move without the ball. Christyn Williams - wow!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a disappointing game on many levels. The only statistical category that ND won was blocks and that was only by one.

Free throws? I've said before that they suck! It isn't just that they miss them, they miss them without even giving them much of a chance to go in. They clang them off of the rim (or air ball them). It's not like they roll/bounce around the rim and have a chance to fall in.

MM, WTH? Get over the attitude and play the game! You think that you're not getting any calls now? Just wait til this tape goes around to the officials.

And Arike? WTH were you thinking? Did you look at MM and say "here, hold my gatorade?"

Very disappointing.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/02/18 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

looked like the next Maya - except with more attitude...and perhaps better defensively from the get-go. Can she carry them thru the coming years where it looks like there will be a shortage of top talent on her team?

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/03/18 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. Impressions from a NON-UConn/ND fan:

Some fine basketball on display in today's game, along with some disappointment: I really hoped for a tighter, more exciting game.
Some remarkable Bitchiness, too: primarily from the UConn/ND fans here.
(Really, people?? Some of the things written here are pretty classless, unless your under 12)

Williams was phenomenal. But then, so was Arike. Twice, in ONE Final Four. Getting excited about a hot player is great, but that can also evaporate with the twist of an ankle. I mean, UConn played a whole 6 players. One fracture, one ACL and they're pretty diminished, so save yer braggin'/raggin' cuz Crow ain't delicious. Razz

I think my biggest disappointment (aside from not getting a more entertaining game) was in the LACK of either team putting on a better 3-pt shootout. That was pathetic, slightly moreso for ND (1 of 12??) than UConn. ND's sporadic lapses in defense were pretty odd, too--I think Muff, Geno, and Vic are the best at that, and didn't see the standard of quality I expected today.

Kudos to UConn, and....TO BE CONTINUED. Cool

PostPosted: 12/03/18 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
looked like the next Maya - except with more attitude...and perhaps better defensively from the get-go. Can she carry them thru the coming years where it looks like there will be a shortage of top talent on her team?

If Geno doesn't give Coombs and Gordon some playing time, I can see them leaving. Then next year, he'll have a solid top four in Dangerfield, Williams, Walker, and ONO, but he'll need to find a fifth starter from among Irwin, Bent, Camara or the incoming Aubrey Griffin. Camara is a redshirt junior. Between injuries and lack of playing time, I doubt Batouly comes back if she graduates. Griffin is HoopGurlz #33, which is lower than Gordon (#29) and much lower than Coombs (#13) or the departed Espinoza-Hunter (#16). Not that Griffin can't still be good -- Nurse was also #33. But the odds are certainly lower. Otherwise, Geno had better find himself a transfer with immediate eligibility or start being nice to Coombs and Gordon. Worst-case scenario, does he fill out his roster by giving scholarships to low-end talent or does he just add like five walk-ons? Laughing

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/03/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Anyone else remember Purcell Pavilion's 1st look at MM, in Jan of '08? She scored UConn's first 15 pts, going 5-5, including 4-4 from 3.

She didn't score another point. Smile

PostPosted: 12/03/18 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Okay. Impressions from a NON-UConn/ND fan:

Some fine basketball on display in today's game, along with some disappointment: I really hoped for a tighter, more exciting game.
Some remarkable Bitchiness, too: primarily from the UConn/ND fans here.
(Really, people?? Some of the things written here are pretty classless, unless your under 12)

Williams was phenomenal. But then, so was Arike. Twice, in ONE Final Four. Getting excited about a hot player is great, but that can also evaporate with the twist of an ankle. I mean, UConn played a whole 6 players. One fracture, one ACL and they're pretty diminished, so save yer braggin'/raggin' cuz Crow ain't delicious. Razz

I think my biggest disappointment (aside from not getting a more entertaining game) was in the LACK of either team putting on a better 3-pt shootout. That was pathetic, slightly moreso for ND (1 of 12??) than UConn. ND's sporadic lapses in defense were pretty odd, too--I think Muff, Geno, and Vic are the best at that, and didn't see the standard of quality I expected today.

Kudos to UConn, and....TO BE CONTINUED. Cool

So, UConn has a thin roster, you say. Thanks for that insight, otherwise I would think that an early Dec win guaranteed another NC in early April. Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: 12/03/18 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talking about NO CLASS. Bob Joyce was doing radio, really nice guy and sits close to press row so this was confirmed by a couple on twitter witnessed NDs old men yelling “fuck you” over and over while flipping off 2 of UCONN s players while they were being interviewed. Said it was an embarrassing display on top of being the worst sportsmanship he has ever seen from a crowd and a team during a game. I think some of those are on this board.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/03/18 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:

If Geno doesn't give Coombs and Gordon some playing time, I can see them leaving. Then next year, he'll have a solid top four in Dangerfield, Williams, Walker, and ONO, but he'll need to find a fifth starter from among Irwin, Bent, Camara or the incoming Aubrey Griffin. Camara is a redshirt junior. Between injuries and lack of playing time, I doubt Batouly comes back if she graduates. Griffin is HoopGurlz #33, which is lower than Gordon (#29) and much lower than Coombs (#13) or the departed Espinoza-Hunter (#16). Not that Griffin can't still be good -- Nurse was also #33. But the odds are certainly lower. Otherwise, Geno had better find himself a transfer with immediate eligibility or start being nice to Coombs and Gordon. Worst-case scenario, does he fill out his roster by giving scholarships to low-end talent or does he just add like five walk-ons? Laughing

ND played 3 bench players.

1 played 12 minutes
1 played 2 minutes
1 played 1 minute

Geno loves Coombs, he's said it several times this season. But she isn't ready for this game. And Gordon was in street clothes, injured.

Last edited by ucbart on 12/03/18 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/03/18 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh by the way a couple of GMs witnessed a sole Uconn fan who for some reason was placed with ND crowd all around, being harassed and pushed toward the end of the game and looked very afraid and was trying to leave.

They also said that Ogunner was a hothead and not a team player Laughing Laughing

Could be a great venue for a tRump rally.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/03/18 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were serious questions about the fan placement and safety and also the announcer being petty and inciting the crowd. Geno is used to being cussed and yelled at but the player and fan harassment was bad. One wonders where a couple of ND players get there bad attitudes from but clearly players like Shepard and Young are not cut from the same cloth as they were apologizing for their teammates behavior.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/03/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I should call my farmer nephews because there is a whole lotta bullshit being thrown.

I was at the game and sit near press row. I never saw anything close to what you're relaying. I heard a couple of fans talking about what an ass and what a punk Geno is. I don't think anyone, even Geno, would deny that.

I heard another fan congratulate some UConn fans. Very cordial conversation.

Were there UConn fans that were seated next to ND fans? Probably. You have to expect that when you're buying single game tickets.

The announcer has NEVER, in all of the games that I have attended done anything to negatively incite the crowd. Does he raise his voice when announcing an ND basket? Yes. Does he simply state that a basket was scored by the opponent? Yes. No different than any other arena I've been in. Trust me when I say that I've been in a lot of them. (I could start a list if you'd like. I'm guessing 50 would be a good # to start with. Go up from there.)

I've been attending ND games since 1988-1989. Thirty years. I have NEVER, EVER seen or heard any of the things that you're saying. I'm not saying that it didn't happen. I'm not that naive to think that when you put 9,000 people into a small space that everyone will behave like their mamas taught them. I've never seen it and I know that if I had, I would have said something to the offending fan. I'm pretty sure that anyone of the other 8,998 fans would have done the same.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Wow. I should call my farmer nephews because there is a whole lotta bullshit being thrown.

I was at the game and sit near press row. I never saw anything close to what you're relaying. I heard a couple of fans talking about what an ass and what a punk Geno is. I don't think anyone, even Geno, would deny that.

Were there UConn fans that were seated next to ND fans? Probably. You have to expect that when you're buying single game tickets.

The announcer has NEVER, in all of the games that I have attended done anything to negatively incite the crowd. Does he raise his voice when announcing an ND basket? Yes. Does he simply state that a basket was scored by the opponent? Yes. No different than any other arena I've been in. Trust me when I say that I've been in a lot of them. (I could start a list if you'd like. I'm guessing 50 would be a good # to start with. Go up from there.)

I've been attending ND games since 1988-1989. Thirty years. I have NEVER, EVER seen or heard any of the things that you're saying. I'm not saying that it didn't happen. I'm not that naive to think that when you put 9,000 people into a small space that everyone will behave like their mamas taught them. I've never seen it and I know that if I had, I would have said something to the offending fan. I'm pretty sure that anyone of the other 8,998 fans would have done the same.

Consider the source.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/03/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
If you can't win then get in a cheap shot. ..... right Arike?

Right. Dangerfield has obviously been taking acting lessons fttom Samuelson.

"Consider the source", as they.

It was the 2nd clothesline she perpetrated on Dangerfield.

Also, the foul on Shepard was clear- she shoved Williams out of the paint. Not hard for anyone not wearing a leprechaun outfit to see.

PostPosted: 12/03/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Talking about NO CLASS. Bob Joyce was doing radio, really nice guy and sits close to press row so this was confirmed by a couple on twitter witnessed NDs old men yelling “fuck you” over and over while flipping off 2 of UCONN s players while they were being interviewed. Said it was an embarrassing display on top of being the worst sportsmanship he has ever seen from a crowd and a team during a game. I think some of those are on this board.

While watching the game on TV, we thought it was strange there was a cop standing next to Geno with his service pistol on full display during both the halftime and postgame interviews on TV. Is the UConn derangement syndrome THAT BAD over there? Honestly I had no idea.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/03/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn executed with ease in their halfcourt offense even in the absence of their 3pt game. ND was surprisingly lacking in same, and resorted more than usual to individualism. ND was also weaker on defense than I expected.

CBiebel wrote:
While not prolific, UConn's 3 point shooting was better than ND and played a key role in the game, as did rebounding (which I didn't expect).

But this gives ND stuff to work on.

In the offseason, I expressed concerns about Shepard and Turner in the frontcourt together. Part of what made Notre Dame very successful last year was the ability of Kathryn Westbeld to go both inside and outside, being a threat from three (even if she did not have the best percentage, she had to be guarded).

Yesterday, Notre Dame went 1-12 from three, with all attempts from Mabrey and Ogunbowale.

The other thing Westbeld did very well was being a "mover" with the ball. She may have averaged 2.38 assists last year, but she was also, in the games that I saw, someone who facilitated the pass that led to an assist (in other words, the hockey assist).

Going forward, I would like to see Notre Dame make adjustments in these areas, demonstrating quicker ball movement and seeing if Shepard can show off three-point prowess (she made 28-89 -- 31.5 percent -- as a sophomore at Nebraska).

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/03/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear Muffet is on this board LOL. But the fact that bad attitudes, bad plays are being excused by some on here and those involved not holding themselves accountable and yet both Shepard and Young were apologizing for their teammates behaviors says a lot about why this has affected their team. Going forward one would hope that those 2 young ladies should be the role models this team needs.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/03/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Ex-Ref"]Wow. I should call my farmer nephews because there is a whole lotta bullshit being thrown.

I've been attending ND games since 1988-1989. Thirty years. I have NEVER, EVER seen or heard any of the things that you're saying. I'm not saying that it didn't happen. I'm not that naive to think that when you put 9,000 people into a small space that everyone will behave like their mamas taught them. I've never seen it and I know that if I had, I would have said something to the offending fan. I'm pretty sure that anyone of the other 8,998 fans would have done the same.[/quote]

Of course you were everywhere. It’s on Twitter by an unbiased press tweep and she along with Bob Joyce both pointed out the negative behavior, when you have grown ass men yelling fuck you over and over during an interview it’s pretty visible. And why was your announcer calling Uconn Kentucky?

Last edited by bballjunkie on 12/03/18 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/03/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5v-X8BqVt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zge5epgf0ddg

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/03/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa damn, not only did she take her down from up top she kicked her legs out from below and the ref does nothing.

Here's what I noticed and the GMs I spoke with concurred - She comes down jacks up a 3 with none of her team to rebound goes back down and plays no defense, Mabrey jacks up a 3 and she just stands and watches while the little CD gal pushes the ball up the court making no attempt to get back on D. Shocked

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 12/03/18 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A major key to the game has to be the face guarding of No 24 by Dangerfield. She must have really gotten into her head because I never saw Arike lose her cool like that. Looking past the two assaults on Dangerfield late in the game, there were plays where she just stopped playing. I saw her stop at the sideline near halfcourt and just stand there watching her team try and play defense. While she isn't the first to quit on herself and her team mates during a game it certainlty didn't enhance any shot she had at POY. You can pull stunts like that when playing at one of the weak sisters of the ACC with 200 people in the stands and limited video like BC but when you do it on national TV as the No 1 team in the country it gets magnified.

I wonder if, after being on Ellen and dancing on TV, she lost touch with her ego.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: