RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/01/18 11:13 pm    ::: UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18 Reply Reply with quote

I really don't like player matchup analyses because hoops is a team game, but what the heck.

Turner vs. Collier: UConn. Collier is more experienced, has a greater variety of offensive and shot making skills.

Shepard vs. Walker: ND. Shepard is more experienced, has greater production during career so far.

Young vs. Samuelson: UConn. What a difference in player types! KLS gets the nod because she's a two time first team All-American and Young isn't.

Ogunbowale vs. Williams: ND. Freshman Williams may be as good or better than O!gunner someday, but not now.

Mabrey vs. Dangerfield: UConn. Another big difference in player sizes and types. Dangerfield is an elite point guard and Mabrey isn't.

Bench: ND. Not sure what they have or how the ND frosh are doing, but it's got to be deeper than UConn's bench: freshman Nelson-Ododa.

Experience: ND

Coaching: Even

Venue/atmosphere: Home court and lunatic hordes probably give the Irish 3-5 points.

Overall: ND. For UConn to win, their as-yet-developed defense has to stop ND's surgical drives, and they have to be hot from the arc while the Irish are cold.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/01/18 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND 86
UCONN 74

PostPosted: 12/02/18 12:44 am    ::: Re: UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Mabrey vs. Dangerfield: UConn. Another big difference in player sizes and types. Dangerfield is an elite point guard and Mabrey isn't.

Mabrey averaged significantly more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and higher shooting percentage than Dangerfield over the season last year. That's actual performance. Dangerfield is overrated because of the quality of players she has been surrounded with and the name on her uniform. Mabrey's not a true point guard, but she's a more productive college basketball player.

And seriously, those are the best arguments you can come up with for claiming superiority for Collier and Samuelson? Seriously? That's the best case you can make? It sounds like for Samuelson your argument is that she gets the nod because she's more hyped, not that she's better.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/02/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised to find out today that UConn hasn't had a true road game yet. First real road game at ND? That's like throwing the freshmen into the deep end without warning. Wink

Last year ND got road experience for the game at UConn by playing at Western Kentucky, Oregon State, and Michigan before heading to Hartford.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/02/18 12:59 am    ::: Re: UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Young vs. Samuelson: UConn. What a difference in player types! KLS gets the nod because she's a two time first team All-American and Young isn't.

One of them scored over 30 points in a Final Four game... Wink

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/02/18 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND fans are the LA Sparks fan of Rebkell.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Yeah UConn has a better chance of losing than winning..but I just hope somebody, ANYBODY, knocks out them overconfident Irish. Fluke city 2018

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time to go to the game!!!!!!

Smile

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
ND fans are the LA Sparks fan of Rebkell.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Yeah UConn has a better chance of losing than winning..but I just hope somebody, ANYBODY, knocks out them overconfident Irish. Fluke city 2018

Interesting, but I don't recall seeing a single ND fan here predicting the outcome - confident, nervous, optimistic, pessimistic, or otherwise. I must have missed it.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am interested to see if UConn is able to get anyone from ND in foul trouble. ND gets to the line a lot and UConn first half foul trouble could be a big issue.

I do expect ND to win this game and don’t think it would be the worst thing for UConn. Excited to see how Williams and Walker perform on the big stage.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
I am interested to see if UConn is able to get anyone from ND in foul trouble. ND gets to the line a lot and UConn first half foul trouble could be a big issue.

I do expect ND to win this game and don’t think it would be the worst thing for UConn. Excited to see how Williams and Walker perform on the big stage.

Yes, especially CW

Last edited by cthskzfn on 12/02/18 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/02/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come AB23 and W09 haven't been banned? Wasn't it discovered that they are one in the same? Rolling Eyes On another note, go UConn!~

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I'm nothing but a fan, but a die hard fan none the less. So, with that being said, here is my expert analysis.

UCONN keys(in order of importance)
1. Stopping dribble penetration
2. Hit 3's
3. Stay out of foul trouble
4. Don't get beat too bad on the glass
5. Get going in the open court

ND keys(in order of importance)
1. Don't turn the ball over
2 Turner/Shepard not getting in foul trouble trying to guard Walker/Collier outside the paint
3. Composure
4. Hit 3's
5. Get to the FT line

***And the best thing for everyone. There isn't a game on before ours that will go to 3 OT or be a 5 point lead with a minute to go where one team stops the clock to foul constantly.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/02/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Well, I'm nothing but a fan, but a die hard fan none the less. So, with that being said, here is my expert analysis.

UCONN keys(in order of importance)
1. Stopping dribble penetration
2. Hit 3's
3. Stay out of foul trouble
4. Don't get beat too bad on the glass
5. Get going in the open court

ND keys(in order of importance)
1. Don't turn the ball over
2 Turner/Shepard not getting in foul trouble trying to guard Walker/Collier outside the paint
3. Composure
4. Hit 3's
5. Get to the FT line

***And the best thing for everyone. There isn't a game on before ours that will go to 3 OT or be a 5 point lead with a minute to go where one team stops the clock to foul constantly.

I'd agree on these generally, but I would add ND actually making FTs. They've had a few games (OSU) where Ogunbowale was seriously subpar from the line. Last year she was around 79.6%. Against OSU she was 5-10 and against Drake she was 6-10. Shepard was 67.9% last year but was just 3-7 against OSU.

Last edited by CBiebel on 12/02/18 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
How come AB23 and W09 haven't been banned? Wasn't it discovered that they are one in the same? Rolling Eyes On another note, go UConn!~

You should lay off the halluciogins.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/02/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:

Considering that so many people have suggested that the way for UConn to win is raining 3s, getting ND into foul trouble doesn't seem likely, at least with that strategy.

In the games where ND has had a FT advantage (and no, it's not all of them), it was generally the case that ND was driving a lot more inside to draw fouls while UConn was working the ball more outside, which gets fewer fouls (and when you do get fouls, they often aren't shooting fouls).

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm seeing pictures from the Joyce Center on twitter and UCONN is wearing gray shooting shirts and the players have one gray sneakers. With pro teams not wearing a lot of white at home anymore, I'm betting ND is in some sort of special green uniform from Under Armor and UCONN is in something new and gray from Nike.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

Considering that so many people have suggested that the way for UConn to win is raining 3s, getting ND into foul trouble doesn't seem likely, at least with that strategy.

In the games where ND has had a FT advantage (and no, it's not all of them), it was generally the case that ND was driving a lot more inside to draw fouls while UConn was working the ball more outside, which gets fewer fouls (and when you do get fouls, they often aren't shooting fouls).

Totally agree. That’s why I am interested to see if UConn is able to draw any fouls down low.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm seeing pictures from the Joyce Center on twitter and UCONN is wearing gray shooting shirts and the players have one gray sneakers. With pro teams not wearing a lot of white at home anymore, I'm betting ND is in some sort of special green uniform from Under Armor and UCONN is in something new and gray from Nike.

UConn is wearing blue per their Twitter.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well then, my investigative skills from years of watching every Dateline episode....need a tune-up.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well then, my investigative skills from years of watching every Dateline episode....need a tune-up.

It actually looks more like black so who knows lol

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ND has on white.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An early arriving crowd today.

Hugs and kisses for the broadcast from Digger.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They showed a clip of champ. shot and that crowd didn't react.

Showed a 30 second clip on football going to the Cotton Bowl and there was scattered applause.

I guess one they've seen before,

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It actually looks more like black so who knows lol

They don't really look black or blue. Maybe a dark steel gray?

Maybe ND has weird lights.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/02/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dee's one of the refs. Not sure on the other two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: