RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Adidas new ad campaign 2018 tackling women's sports issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/13/18 9:05 am    ::: Adidas new ad campaign 2018 tackling women's sports issues Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts?
https://news.adidas.com/running/adidas-kicks-off-initiative-to-break-down-barriers-faced-by-women-and-girls-in-sport/s/87fa878d-dbe4-4619-826d-f4b71e1b33cc
tfan

PostPosted: 12/13/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
By age 14, girls are dropping out of sport 1.5x faster than boys[1] and by age 17, 51% of girls who participated in sport have quit[2] because they do not have a sense that they belong, and they don’t see a future in sport. 73% of U.S. adults believe that high schools and colleges provide better support for boys’ sports programs than girls sports programs[3].

There are no pro football leagues on the girl's side, and pro softball and basketball leagues are much smaller, but there are lots of college scholarships waiting for the girl's sports (I think they are supposed to equal the boy's per Title IX), so I don't think it's true that there is no future in the sport for them when they are in high school. Unless that refers to the players who aren't good enough for a college scholarship, which would be something that exists on the boy's side as well.

They say "they do not have a sense that they belong". That may be peer pressure or societal values suggesting them not to play sports, but they wrote it like their teammates are not accepting them.

Luuuc

PostPosted: 12/13/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comments under the YouTube video demonstrate just how far there still is to go. So while I'm pretty sure these marketing campaigns are largely motivated by profit-oriented factors, I think they're still important right now.
(Hopefully we're not too far from the time that sports don't need to make a special point of being inclusive but I'm not holding my breath on that one)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: