RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lisa Leslie 'seriously considering' opening for WNBA prez
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/28/18 11:38 am    ::: Lisa Leslie 'seriously considering' opening for WNBA prez Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/25399682/lisa-leslie-interested-being-president-wnba

Quote:
"I feel like I could continue to help guide us in the right direction," said Leslie, who was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2015. "I want for the league to be successful and have the best president possible, someone who wants to stay and help it to grow."

PostPosted: 11/28/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can certainly believe that she might think she was the best person for the job. Why would anyone else?

PostPosted: 11/28/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie has obviously never been short on confidence....but we do need someone who cares about the league, and I think a former player would be great.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Lisa Leslie has obviously never been short on confidence....but we do need someone who cares about the league, and I think a former player would be great.

Does she really care about the league or does she care about her own self promotion? After all, she went on Celebrity Apprentice that year Arnold Schwarzenegger headed the show. I suppose she has bills to pay.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jewelsongs

PostPosted: 11/28/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league needs a very serious candidate as the next commissioner. With the players wanting a new contract, and several teams moving to small arenas, I think the league needs a real star as the next commissioner. David Stern saved the NBA when the league was really struggling. I love the WNBA, and they need that type of person now. Not Lisa Leslie with no management experience.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/28/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

But assuming they hire someone before the deal gets done, the first thing the new leader would be required to do is negotiate the new CBA with the players - on behalf of the league and its owners. It doesn't seem likely that they'll hire a former player to do that. Not unless that person has been on the management side for a long time to distance them from the playing fraternity.

PostPosted: 11/28/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Ruth Riley? Another former player with some management experience.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if they’re entertaining the idea of letting the players have input on who the president should be, who do you think they would pick? Some suit?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Meh. Who’s that one who used to GM at Indianapolis and now does basketball commentary. Her name escapes me. Nel Fortner?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/28/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it was going to be a former player, it would be Bethany Donaphin

PostPosted: 11/28/18 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Meh. Who’s that one who used to GM at Indianapolis and now does basketball commentary. Her name escapes me. Nel Fortner?

You mean the former US Olympic coach Nell Fortner? Rolling Eyes

I doubt she would be interested in the job.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/28/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
And1 wrote:

Does she really care about the league or does she care about her own self promotion? After all, she went on Celebrity Apprentice that year Arnold Schwarzenegger headed the show. I suppose she has bills to pay.

Good catch. If she went on Celebrity Apprentice the year that Arnold Schwarzeger headed the show - that shows she doesn't care about the league, only herself.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/29/18 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa would wear her gold medals to work every day, just in case there was a photo op.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/29/18 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Lisa would wear her gold medals to work every day, just in case there was a photo op.

Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 11/29/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess the real question is whether the NBA is interested in her running the WNBA. I'd suggest that Silver look among the ranks of the NBA brass and spot a rising young star (male or female) and put him/her in charge of the WNBA.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/29/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides Lisa Leslie, does anyone know who else have applied, or shown any interest in the position?

PostPosted: 11/29/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I guess the real question is whether the NBA is interested in her running the WNBA. I'd suggest that Silver look among the ranks of the NBA brass and spot a rising young star (male or female) and put him/her in charge of the WNBA.

The reason pilight most likely brought up Bethany Donaphin is because she’s already the Head of Operations for the WNBA, unless she’s one of the people that recently resigned. That title suggests she could be in line for the job. I see that she has a Bachelor’s degree from Stanford and a MBA from somewhere else.

stever

PostPosted: 11/29/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Besides Lisa Leslie, does anyone know who else have applied, or shown any interest in the position?

Exclamation

Shades

PostPosted: 11/29/18 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I poured over Leslie’s history at Wiki. She has a bachelor’s degree in communications from USC and later earned a MBA from the University of Phoenix. Isn’t the University of Phoenix an online only college?

Even if you believe the University of Phoenix is credible, Leslie hasn’t exactly applied her education to work at jobs in the last 10 years since her retirement from WNBA to show she was aspiring to or worthy of such a position. She’s done a little basketball commentary, jumping from network to network and not really sticking to one place. Mostly she’s been working as an actress doing D-list bit parts, most frequently playing herself. She did up her acting game with her recent role as Betty Lou in the Uncle Drew movie.

So is Leslie going to act like a president? Might be her best gig yet.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/29/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is a WNBA president supposed to do? Seems like whatever the duties are, they are less than a typical league president does because the WNBA is owned by another league that has their own management. Somebody once pointed out how the background of the league head is often law school/ lawyer. Which suggests you don't need business training or experience. Owners may not want an ex-player running the league, although WNBA owners are not the same as NBA owners. Personally I'd rather see an ex-player with the mike promoting the league and league events and awards.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/29/18 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like none of the prior NBA Commissioners were players going back all the way to Maurice Podoloff. It seems like lawyer was the most common background for Commissioners. J. Walter Kennedy, however, was the publicity director for the Harlem Globetrotters. Doesn't mean the WNBA wouldn't get a player, but seems unlikely.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/29/18 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real question is what the responsibilities of the WNBA President would actually be. I can see a figurehead/ basketball operations position that might be appropriate for Leslie, or Tameka Catchings, or some other former player. Under that scenario there would also be a head of business operations that would be responsible for many aspects of the league's finances, appointed by Silver and the NBA.

Having a former player in that position could actually help in contract negotiations as a nod to addressing non-financial considerations.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/29/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going back to the end of her playing days, LL's thing was about making the league's image more "feminine", right?

Next candidate please.
I'd rather someone who is looking ahead to the 2050's rather than back to the 1950's.

PostPosted: 11/30/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey if she uses her connections to get some moola for the women, that would be great.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/30/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Brian Agler a reasonable/better candidate?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: