RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Oregon State 2018-2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/20/18 2:53 pm    ::: Oregon State 2018-2019 Reply Reply with quote

Point guard Destiny Slocum finds right fit at Oregon State

Quote:
"She's going to take our culture," Rueck said, "and add her own layer to it that's going to make us better."


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/20/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Introductions 2018-11-17 against St. Marys.

They have 6'8", 6'9" and 6'7" players on their roster, but none started (6'9" was not listed in the box score).

https://osubeavers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12920&path=wbball



linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3646



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/20/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This will be the third straight year in which OSU is predicted to regress due to lost players. The last 2 times Rueck surprised everyone. His teams never seem to be much on paper but they seem to stumble their way to a lot of wins.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 663
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
This will be the third straight year in which OSU is predicted to regress due to lost players. The last 2 times Rueck surprised everyone. His teams never seem to be much on paper but they seem to stumble their way to a lot of wins.


I think both Oregon teams should do very well this year and next as well.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3131
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
This will be the third straight year in which OSU is predicted to regress due to lost players. The last 2 times Rueck surprised everyone. His teams never seem to be much on paper but they seem to stumble their way to a lot of wins.



I'm not sure why you think they were predicted to regress. They were a top 10 team in preseason polls. They were picked a close third in the Pac 12 preseason polls, only 3 points behind Stanford. Last year they finished tied for third.


The win over South Carolina and the close loss to Notre Dame show that this team will once again compete I the Pac 12. Which is just what was expected.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't go too overboard with the "close loss."

They built a big first half lead by shooting out of their minds in the first quarter ( over 70%). You knew that wasn't going to continue, and it didn't. They lost each of the three remaining quarters by a score of 74-52. The talent gap was particularly evident in the 4th quarter.

I think they will badly miss Gulich. Surprisingly, Drake's 6'2" Sarah Rhine was far more effective at the rim against S.Car. than any of Ore. St's bigs were.




Last edited by ArtBest23 on 11/25/18 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'9" Andrea Aquino was rated #21 overall and #4 at her position. Has to be the highest recruit Rueck has ever had. But she has not been with the team this regular season and the local sportswriter tweeted that all he was told is that she is "out indefinitely". They also have a 6'7" freshman on the bench and a 6'8 senior who is in the rotation, but not starting most games.



ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
hey also have a 6'7" freshman on the bench and a 6'8 senior who is in the rotation, but not starting most games.



Have you watched them play at all?

The senior is Joanna Grymek, a JC transfer, from Poland. She played a lot in Vancouver. She is big, that's for sure. But she is also slow, immobile, and klutzy with bad hands to boot. SCar players in particular were effective at swatting or simply taking the ball away from her.

Let's just say nobody is ever going to compare her favorably to Teaira McCowan.

I think they are going to seriously miss Marie Gulich in the paint this year.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, I think the 3rd place in the PAC projections for OreSt are probably about right, probably fighting with ASU for 3rd. It looks to me like they are, personnel-wise, a step behind Oregon and Stanford. But unless someone like Cal or USC or Colorado surprises, OSU and ASU are probably next in line would be my guess.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 535
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/25/18 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
They also have a 6'7" freshman on the bench and a 6'8 senior who is in the rotation, but not starting most games.



Have you watched them play at all?


What did you read that makes you think I haven't watched them play?

I was pointing out they have three of the tallest players in the country [ 6'7", 6'8" and 6'9" ] but none start. I wasn't implying that a mistake was being made not having one of them starting. "You can't teach height" is the saying, but "You can't teach really tall players to be quick and coordinated" also can apply.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.


Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1369



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.


Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


They are nothing alike, AA is a skilled shooting tall forward.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.


Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


They are nothing alike, AA is a skilled shooting tall forward.


You think she is ever going to play forward? Seriously? And who exactly is she ever going to defend on the perimeter that isn't going to blow right by her?

More unrealistic hype.

Maybe they can match her up against Haley Jones when they play Stanford next year. Rolling Eyes


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was in the same article but never addressed by Rueck:

Quote:
A few days before the season opener, Rueck said Aquino was out and there was no timetable for her return after not playing in the exhibition game against Northwest Nazarene.


Found this article which says she wasn't playing due to an undisclosed medical condition:

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/412843-313547-next-step-set-for-mlb-to-portland

Quote:
"She is practicing," Rueck said. "She is able to do a lot of things. She is just not cleared to play in games."


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.


Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


I can't remember if it was this board or somewhere else where I said Aquino is a project and won't get significant minutes this year and I got blasted for saying that. Her High School coach didn't play her a lot for a reason.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1369



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The key for them is the development of Aquino and Morris. Aquino is a scoring threat and would require attention by the defense which would help the offense not focus on the parameter. Morris was on a weak high school team in a weak division. She, unlike other basketball players did not focus on basketball but also swam and played tennis. She started really way behind in her development. But has both size and potential .

Aquino is farther along and more game ready, but they first need to just get her on the court. From what i have seen of her she has a huge upside. She has only been playing basketball since the age of 15, but from what I have observed, has good court vision and a better feel for the game than most of the players in her class. She sees the floor, makes good decisions and just seems to know to pass to the right people. I could see her as eventually operating as a Valde Divak type of high post distributor. With a traditional post and shooters on the parameter, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Barring injury and minimal development from the frosh posts, they could make a nice run in the NCAA's. But next year they should really be tough. They only lose McWilliams, get the rest of their shooters back and with the development of Aquino and Morris, plus the addition of the new frosh they should have all the pieces in place.


Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


They are nothing alike, AA is a skilled shooting tall forward.


You think she is ever going to play forward? Seriously? And who exactly is she ever going to defend on the perimeter that isn't going to blow right by her?

More unrealistic hype.

Maybe they can match her up against Haley Jones when they play Stanford next year. Rolling Eyes

You must see her as a 3? I see her as a 4, I think she would be able to hang with players like Turner or Shepard, and would match up well vs a player like Brunelle.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she has no possibility of playing the 3 or 4. I think some Oregon St fans have greatly exaggerated expectations for her.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3887
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/28/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think she has no possibility of playing the 3 or 4. I think some Oregon St fans have greatly exaggerated expectations for her.


Kennedy Brown really wanted to play the three supposedly. I don't know if Rueck is one to promise a kid a set position but there is the possibility that the 6'6" brown wouldn't Get stuck in the post on next years Beaver team



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23351



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/29/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.



I think he's been starting both Grymek and Thropay together but Thropay is really a disaster. Definitely the weak link for them.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/29/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.



I think he's been starting both Grymek and Thropay together but Thropay is really a disaster. Definitely the weak link for them.


Interesting. Watching the Vancouver Festival, my impression was the team was better with Thropay. Grymek was just awful.

SCar was most effective against Grymek. Typical of their agressive defensive style, when she got the ball they just start swinging and swatting at the ball ( and her arms and hands) and repeatedly were succesful in taking the ball away. She seemed lost as to how to protect the ball or get rid of it.

Both were ineffective against ND. They combined for 6 pts and 6 rebounds while Shepard and Turner went off for a combined 38 pts and 19 rebounds.

But you've watched them more than I have. Fair to say they really miss Gülich and don't have a good replacement.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23351



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/29/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:


But you've watched them more than I have. Fair to say they really miss Gülich and don't have a good replacement.


yes, I think they miss her more than was expected. It's too bad since they have really decent guards. Grymek is a bit of a gentle giant. In that regard she reminds me a bit of Dydek - like always afraid she might hurt someone. And yeah, she has a problem hanging on to the ball. There was also a reason Thropay sat on the bench for two years. She is a mistake waiting to happen. Corosdale is probably their best post but she is a face up four and tends to get into foul trouble. I also thought Washington (think that's her name) used to be able to give them a few good minutes off the bench, but the couple of times I've seen her this year, she looked hopeless. I've only seen their Freshman Morris a couple of times for a few minutes. She's looked a bit lost on the court but I think has a lot of upside. She appears to be mobile and have some talent but is a bit timid and needs to get experience.

Their guard play will get them quite a ways, but the post problems will probably prevent them from getting too far in the NCAAs. Still, I'm not looking forward to Stanford playing them as I think OrSU might well win that game. And since most teams in the country have pretty big question marks, they may be able to go farther in the ncaas than I expect.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2151



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/30/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rueck has a knack of getting the most out of players and I expect some marked improvement.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 535
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
.

Well, you can forget Aquino as the answer this year. She's redshirting.
https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-women-s-basketball-freshman-post-andrea-aquino-will-redshirt/article_d39b9afb-470d-54c5-9b6d-98d287a02cab.html

So you can play big and slow with Grymek, or play small ball with Thropay. I'll be very surprised if we see much of Morris.

The hype about Aquino reminds me of the similar things said about the even taller Felicia Aiyeotan, now at UVA - another foreign student who had played a limited amount of basketball. It's really not a game you can pick up and play for three or four years and expect to play at an elite level. Looking good at the high school level when you're a foot taller than everyone else is one thing. Playing against the McCowans and Anigwes and Gustafsons and Shepards and Browns is an entirely different thing.


Well one thing is certain, we will never know how quickly she could have developed this season.

In respect to your saying she will never play the three or four, presumably because she could not match up and play defense on the parameter. ---Well as a stretch 4 she would never have to match up with a parameter player except to defend the corner. With her height she could play off the offensive player and still defend against the shot. How far off would depend on her foot speed. Basketball is all about foot speed equated with length.

She is more suited to playing a stretch 4 because she plays better with her face to the basket. She would do well in the corners or at the high post. As I stated before she appears to have an excellent court vision and comprehension of spacing which would make her an excellent passer. That is not something that can be taught.

You are correct that basketball is not something you can pick up in a few years and play at an elite level. Generally that is true. But it would be better said that a player will not reach their potential in a few years. Hakkeem Olajuwon began to play basketball at the age of 17, yet in a shorter amount of time he was playing well enough for his college team. He just had such a high ceiling that his starting point was higher than most players ceiling. While the exception, Hakeem is also an example of someone with a huge upside having a high enough bottom end to contribute well before that upside is reached. If Hakeem had been 6'5 his skill level and experience would not have been enough to get him into college. But his height allowed him the advantage to be able to fulfill the rest of his potential while still contributing to his college team.

As to Morris and Grymek -- I believe that it is Morris who will eventually have to replace Thropay in respect to the role she now plays. Morris is also a project. Her high school program was lacking in respect to her development as a player. She also has a big upside. With Grymek and Morris they have players they can match up against different post players. Grymek would do better against tall physical players who use their strength to dominate the O boards - like McCowan. She certainly could use her body to keep them off the boards. Morris would be more suited to play against more active and quicker post players. Though she still does not challenge shooters as well as she should. She still seems to be stuck into something she was told to do early in her development. That being to just hold position and raise her arms. She played tennis so her lateral movement is good, but she still needs to move out and challenge shooters.

How well the do will depend on how quickly Morris gets up to speed. That will increase their match up options.



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 535
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:


I can't remember if it was this board or somewhere else where I said Aquino is a project and won't get significant minutes this year and I got blasted for saying that. Her High School coach didn't play her a lot for a reason.


If her high school playing time is the only reason for your evaluation than it is surely flawed. I watched her play in two games in person and some others on video. From what I saw her reasons for not playing more were not related to her ability, but rather to other factors. We surely need to consider the circumstances she was playing under in respect to her playing time.

Her transfer to Ribet were under less than desirable circumstances. She basically had not choice because the conditions she was living under in Jersey were dire. She basically took what she could get and that really set her development back quite a bit.

She came in to play about half a season ( California eligibility rules) to a new school that already had two established Sr centers. While the best of the two had already committed to a D1program, the other one was still trying to get an offer. Aquino also had also committed. This scenario appeared to be very influential in respect to Aquino's playing time.

I will use the Ribets game against ( St Mary's Stockton ) probably the best team they faced all year as an example. Aquino got more playing time in that game basically because DeCosta quickly put the other two centers on the bench with foul trouble. DeCosta dominated the inside on both ends, until Aquino was in the paint on defense. Just her presence and length was an intimidating factor and DeCosta moved out towards the parameter. I suspect her playing time also depended on the match-ups Ribet faced, but against top competition Aquino was the best Center on their team without a doubt.

The Ribet coach did not play her that much in the playoffs either. My take is that he understandable had a greater loyalty to his established post players. Especially the one who was still trying to get a scholarship. During the playoffs is the best viewing time for that. The coaches loyalty and the fact that Aquino was new to the system certainly was a major influence. Basically Aquino's entire SR. season was a waste. That is why she dropped in the rankings.



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin