RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/26/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Brian Neal is in his 6th season at Xavier and they are awful - by far the worst team in the Big East. They have only 2 league wins and the next worse team has 6 wins. Their program is in need of an upgrade. I have no idea if his job is on the line or not.

+1

Longtime Xavier fan here. I know that Neal was given a dumpster fire to deal with in Amy Waugh's mysterious, ill-timed departure, and fans continue to lament that the Musketeers are young. But this is Neal's SIXTH season. I'm all for giving coaches time to get their own personnel in, but we're way past that point. Enough is enough. And if your team is young in your sixth season, that's kind of your own fault.

It does not seem that the current athletic director cares much at all about anything other than men's basketball (despite his daughter being on the roster at one point), but I think Neal's contract is up after this year, so certainly it won't be renewed. That will be an interesting coaching search to watch.

Off topic, but the Musketeers are 2-0 against Seton Hall and 0-14 against the rest of the Big East. Weird stat.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/26/19 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
I think Michigan treated WBB like a castoff for a long time. I don’t think that it’s that way at all now. U-M’s AD, Warde Manuel, is a Former Michigan FB player who worked his way through the ranks, left to become Buffalo’s AD and then UCONN’s before returning to his alma mater. He’s been around the best.

In July 2018, Manuel extended Barnes Arico until 2023. She is not on the hot seat, and yes, I would say Jim Harbaugh has been given some of the same latitude. He’s expected to beat OSU and MSU and win B1G championships but hasn’t.

At this moment Kim’s got the longest winning streak in the B1G and is poised for her 7th 20-win season. Consistency and stability go a long way when you look at the overall history of Michigan’s program.

I think a lot of B!G schools have treated WBB as a second-class sport....Maryland and Rutgers of course do not, but they are recent immigrants to the B1G. Purdue didn't for a long time, but it seems that recently they've slipped. Iowa has improved a lot, partially I think because of competition with Iowa State for players, and partly because of girls' basketball being such a big deal in the state. Minnesota's improved a lot. But some of the other schools....looking at YOU, Wisconsin!....really need to pick things up a LOT.

I heard a little part of a Wisconsin sports report on the radio last night and the commentator said UW's 13 wins this season are the most since the 2010-11 season. That shocked me if that stat is correct. I'd really like to see that program get going again.

I would too...it's my alma mater. Jane Albright left it in pretty decent shape but then-AD Pat Richter broke it, and don't get me started on that arrogant fool. It looks like maybe the hiring of Jonathan Tsipis might be the key to starting it on the road back, if they'll just give him the support he deserves and not yank the rug out from under him.

He's in his third season now though, right? I'm not saying he should necessarily be fired yet - just not sure how much time they'll give him.

I think they'll give him some more time. They'd be dumb if they don't, since he's done more for the team than any coach *since* Albright!! However, I'm not sure how to gauge this AD and whether he's a mostly football guy or not. It mostly depends on that.

Are you referring to the AD or the person overseeing Women's Basketball? Because I see Barry Alvarez is still the AD there and I"m guessing all he cares about is football.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/26/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Brian Neal is in his 6th season at Xavier and they are awful - by far the worst team in the Big East. They have only 2 league wins and the next worse team has 6 wins. Their program is in need of an upgrade. I have no idea if his job is on the line or not.

+1

Longtime Xavier fan here. I know that Neal was given a dumpster fire to deal with in Amy Waugh's mysterious, ill-timed departure, and fans continue to lament that the Musketeers are young. But this is Neal's SIXTH season. I'm all for giving coaches time to get their own personnel in, but we're way past that point. Enough is enough. And if your team is young in your sixth season, that's kind of your own fault.

It does not seem that the current athletic director cares much at all about anything other than men's basketball (despite his daughter being on the roster at one point), but I think Neal's contract is up after this year, so certainly it won't be renewed. That will be an interesting coaching search to watch.

Off topic, but the Musketeers are 2-0 against Seton Hall and 0-14 against the rest of the Big East. Weird stat.

Yeah a fellow Marquette fan mentioned that XU was a young team and I made the comment that the coach was in his 6th year already.

My random note about Xavier - I saw a player went to my high school - it made me a tad sad because my high school just closed Sad. (Sarah Leyendeker - transfer from Akron who went to Mother of Mercy). Another random fact - the long time high school coach at Mother of Mercy Mary Jo Huisman was the first Women's basketball coach at University of Cincinnati - she coached there and at Mercy at the same time for a few years.

Yeah I also found it odd that Xavier swept Seton Hall but hasn't beaten anyone else in the Big East yet. They did take DePaul to overtime I know before losing them.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/27/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, this isn't meant to be an instigating post, but I do have a question.

Obviously, we all know that Holly Warlick simply needs to be fired. The worst job for a coach in sports is to follow a legend. She was handled a really tragic situation and it was a no win for her. The reality though, is that she took the program way further down than anyone could've imagined. She has recruited well, but the team is a dumpster fire this year

My question is this:

If Tennessee pulls the trigger and gets rid of her, what kind of WCBB dominoes will ensue? Who will Tennessee go after? I think the short list will be Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, Jeff Walz, and Kelly Graves.

I don't think another SEC coach will take it, but ya never know....it's Tennessee.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 02/27/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many schools count on big donor alumni to help buy out a coach...the women's program dos not have as many big money donors, so schools just let contracts run out... until the final year (each year a coach is let go early from her contracting ending, it cost a school more and more $$$)...

Or they do not extend a contract and if recruits paid attention they would know not to sign with a school who is not extending a coach's contract...then the cycle begins for a program going down hill...recruits don't sign because coach will be gone before their careers end so the program falls further and further behind...

UW - Madison is a classic case...Jane Albright had her moments but she was let go after winning seasons and the program, has never recovered and doubt every will. Their won loss record is better this year but their non conference schedule was a complete joke...needed to pad their wins to build morale among players and further recruits.

Everything is about money and most AD's could care less about women's sports...to keep their job they only care about men's basketball and football as that is what their BIG donors care about...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/27/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Machelle Joseph's seat at Georgia Tech just spontaneously combusted.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/27/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Shocked

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/27/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

MaChelle Joseph, Georgia Tech's women's basketball head coach for 16 years, has been placed on administrative leave for what the school says is a "pending personnel matter."

Georgia Tech spokesman Mike Flynn says the school will not say if the leave is the result of a team-related matter. And Georgia Tech officials has stated they will have no further comment at this time, while the investigation is pending.

Links (from which the information in my post was extracted):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2019/02/27/georgia-tech-coach-machelle-joseph-placed-on-leave/39122093/

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/machelle-joseph-georgia-techs-womens-basketball-coach-of-16-years-placed-on-administrative-leave/85-6f236285-738a-4239-9b87-c72d1150ab3c

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26093684/georgia-tech-machelle-joseph-placed-leave

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/27/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Obviously, we all know that Holly Warlick simply needs to be fired. The worst job for a coach in sports is to follow a legend. She was handled a really tragic situation and it was a no win for her. The reality though, is that she took the program way further down than anyone could've imagined. She has recruited well, but the team is a dumpster fire this year

My question is this:

If Tennessee pulls the trigger and gets rid of her, what kind of WCBB dominoes will ensue? Who will Tennessee go after? I think the short list will be Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, Jeff Walz, and Kelly Graves.

I don't think another SEC coach will take it, but ya never know....it's Tennessee.

All I can say is that you don't understand Tennessee very well if you are positing that as a shortlist. Although I would not be surprised to see Holly retire when her current contract runs out, I don't think your list is anywhere near realistic for Tennessee or Tennessee fans......although I'm not sure who's on a real one just yet. I'm pretty sure Phil has one secreted away in his desk somewhere though.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

MaChelle Joseph, Georgia Tech's women's basketball head coach for 16 years, has been placed on administrative leave for what the school says is a "pending personnel matter."

Georgia Tech spokesman Mike Flynn says the school will not say if the leave is the result of a team-related matter. And Georgia Tech officials has stated they will have no further comment at this time, while the investigation is pending.

Links (from which the information in my post was extracted):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2019/02/27/georgia-tech-coach-machelle-joseph-placed-on-leave/39122093/

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/machelle-joseph-georgia-techs-womens-basketball-coach-of-16-years-placed-on-administrative-leave/85-6f236285-738a-4239-9b87-c72d1150ab3c

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26093684/georgia-tech-machelle-joseph-placed-leave

Something is going to emerge. Good (decent) coach with a lot of baggage and rumors of crazy behavior over the years. Wonder if we will get the full story. Seems like the current team has some elite freshmen and a chance to get back to the NCAAs
...but now this....

FYI: Mark Simons is the former husband to Gail Goestenkors. They were married for much of her Duke career.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/28/19 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:

My question is this:

All I can say is that you don't understand Tennessee very well if you are positing that as a shortlist. Although I would not be surprised to see Holly retire when her current contract runs out, I don't think your list is anywhere near realistic for Tennessee or Tennessee fans......although I'm not sure who's on a real one just yet. I'm pretty sure Phil has one secreted away in his desk somewhere though.

How are these coaches not on the short list? They have to hire away from the Tennessee family at this point and this is too big of a job for a first time HC.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And why would those coaches want the job? With the exception of Graves, the others are making 2-3x what Holly is, and most of them have good facilities, good fan bases, good recruiting, and a good thing going where they are. I can't see Tenn coughing up so much additional cash as to entice them away from their current gigs into a massive headache with some of the most unreasonable fans in the game.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why on earth would Walz leave Louisville? For anywhere? He has built that program into one of the top 5 or so in the nation, drawing top recruits and sell out crowds. He is paid very well and they have tremendous facilities. Plus, isn't he from the area? In addition, he has a young family and they are ingrained in the local community with school, groups, etc.

Personally, I cannot see him leaving for any other job in the country unless he was going to get an ungodly amount of money with a lifetime contract.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/28/19 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:

My question is this:

How are these coaches not on the short list? They have to hire away from the Tennessee family at this point and this is too big of a job for a first time HC.

They do NOT. That's just your thinking, and of course you're welcome to it, but where are you sitting, and how familiar are you with Tennessee REALLY?? Hmmmmm? And why would ANY of those people you named even think about leaving the places where they are sitting right now? No way, José...or bart. Rein in your imagination.

It's far more likely that UT will hire a distinguished AC from somewhere, or an up-and-coming HC. They won't make the mistake Vandy did with a Melanie Balcomb from a small mid, but they might well consider Kellie Harper, and your comment about hiring away from the Tennessee family is so much bull pucky. I believe Kellie has the brains and above all the connections to hire good assistants at Tennessee which would make her an excellent choice. Another good hire out of the mids, and a large mid, would be Felisha Leggette-Jack from Buffalo, though she probably doesn't have the connections that Harper does. And there are undoubtedly some excellent assistant/associate HCs just looking for a chance to move up. Phil has his fingers on the pulse of Tennessee, unlike Heartless Dave, and he knows that it IS Tennessee.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Why on earth would Walz leave Louisville? For anywhere? He has built that program into one of the top 5 or so in the nation, drawing top recruits and sell out crowds. He is paid very well and they have tremendous facilities. Plus, isn't he from the area? In addition, he has a young family and they are ingrained in the local community with school, groups, etc.

Personally, I cannot see him leaving for any other job in the country unless he was going to get an ungodly amount of money with a lifetime contract.

Funny, but Walz was the only one on the list I would bother calling if I was AD and I would consider it a very long shot. But he strikes me as having enough ego to perhaps outweigh the good reasons you list for saying no. Maybe he would want to be the one to restore the Lady Vols to their glory and become a true legend, something he'll likely never achieve at Louisville. The others strike me as non-starters for a variety of reasons.

Mulkey? Might as well put Auriemma, McGraw and Vanderveer on the list too. Laughing

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Funny, but Walz was the only one on the list I would bother calling if I was AD and I would consider it a very long shot. But he strikes me as having enough ego to perhaps outweigh the good reasons you list for saying no. Maybe he would want to be the one to restore the Lady Vols to their glory and become a true legend, something he'll likely never achieve at Louisville. The others strike me as non-starters for a variety of reasons.

Mulkey? Might as well put Auriemma, McGraw and Vanderveer on the list too. Laughing

And I agree with all that. Still doesn't change anything I wrote.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

It's far more likely that UT will hire a distinguished AC from somewhere, or an up-and-coming HC. They won't make the mistake Vandy did with a Melanie Balcomb from a small mid, but they might well consider Kellie Harper, and your comment about hiring away from the Tennessee family is so much bull pucky. I believe Kellie has the brains and above all the connections to hire good assistants at Tennessee which would make her an excellent choice. Another good hire out of the mids, and a large mid, would be Felisha Leggette-Jack from Buffalo, though she probably doesn't have the connections that Harper does. And there are undoubtedly some excellent assistant/associate HCs just looking for a chance to move up. Phil has his fingers on the pulse of Tennessee, unlike Heartless Dave, and he knows that it IS Tennessee.

I'll just point out in his first big hire so far - Jeremy Pruitt - Fulmer went after one of the biggest names available, someone who had no ties whatsoever to the U of Tennessee. Indeed, soneone who played and coached at Tennessee's biggest, most hated rival. He also sees the great success of Rick Barnes, another big name hire (by his predecessor) with zero U of Tenn ties.

I expect he will aim a lot higher than you would and won't tie his own hands with this "must be a former player or assistant" silliness. I expect his driving concern will be winning and he won't want to repeat the last mistake.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'll just point out in his first big hire so far - Jeremy Pruitt - Fulmer went after one of the biggest names available, someone who had no ties whatsoever to the U of Tennessee. Indeed, soneone who played and coached at Tennessee's biggest, most hated rival. He also sees the great success of Rick Barnes, another big name hire (by his predecessor) with zero U of Tenn ties.

I expect he will aim a lot higher than you would and won't tie his own hands with this "must be a former player or assistant" silliness. I expect his driving concern will be winning and he won't want to repeat the last mistake.

Fortunately he also doesn't listen to you. And I never said he would necessarily hire someone who had played/coached at Tennessee. You just like to twist my words, and because I mentioned Kellie Harper and her connections, you ASSume I said that.

Jeremy Pruitt was not a HC. And I said, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T READ IT, which it appears you did not, that I thought it was more likely that Tennessee might hire a distinguished assistant or associate coach looking to move up. I haven't changed my opinion. There are good ones out there.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody think Vic Schaefer or Wes Moore is a viable candidate?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/28/19 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

No. I don't think you'd be able to yank either one of them away from their current homes. Especially Vic. Wes, maybe, but it's a real weak maybe. I also don't know how much NC State is paying him.....

And it would be about as weird to have a male coach at Tennessee as it would be at Stanford...or Notre Dame...

PostPosted: 02/28/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well after reading that brief letter, I don't see any way Machelle Joseph coaches another game at GA Tech.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Fortunately he also doesn't listen to you.

I'm sure he has you on speed dial and doesn't blow his nose without checking with you first. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

summertime blues wrote:
And I never said he would necessarily hire someone who had played/coached at Tennessee.

Riiiight. And you didn't characterise UCBart's comment about going outside the Tenn family as "so much bull pucky"."

Oh wait. You did! Shocked

summertime blues wrote:
Jeremy Pruitt was not a HC.

That's true, and I never said he was. But he was probably the most sought after head coaching candidate in the country and could have had his choice of HC positions in 2018 or the year or two previously. Which was the only point. That Fullmer aimed HIGH, for someone all the big time programs wanted, with championship program experience, and didn't settle for some unproven mid major coach.There is no equivalent assistant in WBB. But you, as usual, ignored the points I actually made. Easier to knock down straw men.

I`m still waiting for you to provide a coherent answer to FrozenLVFan's quite reasonable question in the Games forum.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/28/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She wasn't talking specifically to me. I had said what I had to say earlier in that thread and bowed out because YOU were being ugly. You continue to be ugly, as is your usual forte. And since you seem determined to have the last word on this subject too, go ahead and have it. I hope it chokes you. I've tried to be reasonably nice to you but I'm over it.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Moore is a Tenn Alum and coached for many years at UTChatanooga. A big question would be why he would want to start over at age 61 when he is enjoying great success and support in the best conference with nice new facilities. I'd think It's unlikely unless it's just an itch he's always wanted to scratch.

For Schaefer, on the other hand, I would think he's basically maxed out and will have trouble sustaining his current success at Miss St. He might see this as his big opportunity. Far more visibility, support and easier recruiting. I don't know how tied he is to his current job.

I'm curious. Do you think there will be a lot of flack if Fulmer considers hiring a male coach for "Pat's job"?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 02/28/19 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: