RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other games - November 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/07/18 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Cal 80 Houston 79 Final

Last 5 minutes Cal was pitiful. Houston closed the gap with a 3pt basket plus a technical foul on Coach Gottlieb. They only tried to get the ball into Anigwe once (she looked gassed). Then Cal committed a foul on a 3 point shot to close within 2. Houston had a 3 pointer to tie in the final seconds but missed. The Cougars got the rebound and scored as the buzzer sounded so Cal escaped.

Houston played well and looks like a team that could finish third in the AAC behind UConn and South Florida.

calbearman76 wrote:

First Half Cal will not make the NCAA tournament, but second half Cal is deserving of its top 25 ranking.

Beating Houston by 1 at home does not make Cal "deserving" of a top 25 ranking.

And UCLA loses to LMU.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/07/18 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA closed to within 2 in the final minute but lost 69-63 to Loyal Marymount.

LMU was led by 25 points from Gabby Green who transferred from Cal after two seasons with the Bears.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/07/18 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
OR up on Alaska by over 70 pts and Ionescu still in the game with 3 mins to go Shocked

She had to rack up another triple double.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 11/07/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
pilight wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Vanderbilt trails North Alabama 39-34 at the half.

Lions get the 74-71 win in their first game as D1. Shocked

It's possible that Steph White is not a very good coach

Well for one thing, she cannot keep her players in town. That wasn't a problem when she was coach of the Fever.

Unless you count Howard, Zellous, Larkins, Clarendon, etc. She drove off good players in Indiana too.

PostPosted: 11/07/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Close quotes after UCLA lost to LMU (these are from the Daily Bruin so the selection is probably kind to her):

“They were the aggressors,” said coach Cori Close. “We were not aggressive in a team-like fashion.”

“We played one-on-one and didn’t do things together and didn’t execute our game plan,” Close said.

“I don’t think the outcome does (affect their mentality),” Close said. “We have a saying that ‘E plus R equals O.’ Meaning, events plus response equals outcomes. So we’ll have to see our response.”

Huh? Not really sure how to translate that. But it sounds like she's saying they weren't prepared.

I also loved the quote from Senior Japreece Dean:

“We knew it was the fourth quarter and had to pick up our pressure,” Dean said. “And we thrive off that pressure.”

If that's "thriving" I'd hate to see them if they withered.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/07/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
OR up on Alaska by over 70 pts and Ionescu still in the game with 3 mins to go Shocked

This is true and thats what has been going on. Their weak OOC was no fluke it is obviously all about the stat padding. Wonder why those players left hmmmmm.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/07/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I also loved the quote from Senior Japreece Dean:

“We knew it was the fourth quarter and had to pick up our pressure,” Dean said. “And we thrive off that pressure.”

If that's "thriving" I'd hate to see them if they withered.

I agree with you on Close's comments, but I have no problem with Dean. UCLA cut a 13 point lead to 2 during the 4th quarter, and had a few chances to tie. We don't know what the question was to which she was responding, but I suspect it was why they played so much better at the end of the game. There is little question that if UCLA had played the whole game the way they played the 4th quarter they would have won.

This game is certainly a wake up call for the Bruins. How they respond, particularly against Georgia a week from today, will inform whether this team can compete at a tournament level this season.

One last note; UCLA played at LMU, a school that is maybe 5 miles down the 405. LMU has talent (Gabby Green was a top 15 national recruit). This is a bad loss no doubt, but I am certainly not writing them off.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/07/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Shades wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

This is true and thats what has been going on. Their weak OOC was no fluke it is obviously all about the stat padding. Wonder why those players left hmmmmm.

I expect you're right. They're going to do whatever they can to help her break every record and win every individual award.

In part you can't blame Graves. She's his showpiece. Publicity for her is publicity for Oregon WBB as he tries to build a long term program. But it's still a bit unseemly.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 11/07/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC beat Elon 100-69. Most of the players that Elon had when they made the NCAAs back to back are gone and UNC has former ACC ROY Stephanie Watts back from her season ending injury.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/08/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Savannah State opens season playing DIII Wesleyan College, beating them, 155-26 http://j.mp/2RFCbg7 #ncaaw

Where's basketball's mercy rule? What coach lets her players do this to an opponent? "Scoring record"? 🤥

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/08/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Savannah State opens season playing DIII Wesleyan College, beating them, 155-26 http://j.mp/2RFCbg7 #ncaaw

Where's basketball's mercy rule? What coach lets her players do this to an opponent? "Scoring record"? 🤥

+1

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/08/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

+1

I agree. That doesn't happen by accident. You have to TRY to score 155 points. That has to be intentional.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the point of participating if you're not trying though?
Surely the blame is with whoever scheduled a lopsided contest, not the coach or players.

PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
What's the point of participating if you're not trying though?
Surely the blame is with whoever scheduled a lopsided contest, not the coach or players.

I`m sure you don't have to work on your full court press and your fast break for the full four quarters, which is almost essential in order to score that much ( I haven't seen the game). Maybe they could have had some reserves work on their half court offense.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hope that the bench got plenty of minutes, but other than that there's not likely to be much I would have a problem with.
Savannah shouldn't have to compromise their own preparation to avoid someone else's feelings being hurt. And I'm guessing that Wesleyan's feelings aren't hurt anyway. I'd like to hear their take on it before I pull a Kyrie and get upset about someone trying to score in a basketball game. If they've got complaints with what went down then I am all ears.
Competitive games are desirable but I'd want to make sure the blame is correctly aimed.

PostPosted: 11/09/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you break down the minutes and possessions sure you can score that many points if you literally press the crap out of a team and don't back off into a zone or slow down offensive possession to work on running sets, BUT how does that help you as a team against such an inferior opponent Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: