RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/08/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
I for one would like to point out that NC State is one of 4 Power 5 teams (Florida, Kansas and TCU being the others) that have yet to PLAY a ranked team.

Their schedule is so fluffy that it leads me to believe that their success up until now may prove to be a false-positive once the hammer of the ACC drops.

Do you see a lot of difference between NCSt playing no ranked teams and Louisville playing ONE - number 16? That difference seems pretty minuscule, but then nobody is voting for NCSt as the #1 team in the country.

It's popular to trash Maryland's schedule, but Louisville's is no better.

I fully expect ND to crush Louisville, then we won't need to discuss it...other than how far do they drop? Probably not far, since they will lose to such a highly ranked team.

- Amanda Gorman
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/09/19 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I think this week they moved up a lot not so much based on what they did but rather other teams falling quite a bit after losses.

I'd say beating DePaul by 33 could be something that could have really helped in their rankings.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/09/19 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
I think this week they moved up a lot not so much based on what they did but rather other teams falling quite a bit after losses.

I'd say beating DePaul by 33 could be something that could have really helped in their rankings.

Yeah but I wasn’t sure how much credit they would get for that win versus it appearing that DePaul isn’t as good as originally thought this season.

I hope they can keep this up - sure would be great if Marquette could host in the NCAA Tournament.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
I for one would like to point out that NC State is one of 4 Power 5 teams (Florida, Kansas and TCU being the others) that have yet to PLAY a ranked team.

Their schedule is so fluffy that it leads me to believe that their success up until now may prove to be a false-positive once the hammer of the ACC drops.

Do you see a lot of difference between NCSt playing no ranked teams and Louisville playing ONE - number 16? That difference seems pretty minuscule, but then nobody is voting for NCSt as the #1 team in the country.

It's popular to trash Maryland's schedule, but Louisville's is no better.

Louisville also beat Arizona State.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/09/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely. Louisville is as overrated as a Top 4 team as Asia Durr is as a lottery pick.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/09/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Oh, absolutely. Louisville is as overrated as a Top 4 team as Asia Durr is as a lottery pick.

I don't think Louisville is a Top 4 team, but Asia Durr is a possible lottery pick in my book.

Who are your lottery picks and potential lottery picks?

taropatch

PostPosted: 01/09/19 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

More nice things to say about Marquette. They crushed South Dakota State by 39 while Baylor could manage only a 6 point margin win. I did pick Marquette to upset the Irish with a jam packed home arena. Man, they let me down.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/09/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I don't think Louisville is a Top 4 team, but Asia Durr is a possible lottery pick in my book.

Who are your lottery picks and potential lottery picks?

She’s an elite shooter, but I’m not sure what else she is going to do on the next level. She’s not an elite passer, doesn’t rebound particularly well for an All-American and is a solid but not sensational defender. I think she’s definitely 5-7 material and a possible All-Star but I think Brown, McCowan, Samuelson, Ogunbowale and maybe Collier or Shepard have more potential as impact players, from what I’ve seen.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

More nice things to say about Marquette. They crushed South Dakota State by 39 while Baylor could manage only a 6 point margin win. I did pick Marquette to upset the Irish with a jam packed home arena. Man, they let me down.

Interesting on the Baylor-South Dakota State game.

I'd venture to say there were more fans cheering for ND than MU at that game. But that doesn't really matter - MU stunk up the joint in that game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Baylor at #2 Laughing with 6 first place votes. Laughing Laughing I guess based on the fact that they expect them to run thru the B12. But by that measure, why wouldn't they rank Miss St higher, who lost to a better team, and will be playing tougher competition on their run thru the SEC.

I do not 'get' Baylor at #2!

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/14/19 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor beat UConn. The last regular season game the Huskies lost was to Stanford a few years ago (perhaps you remember that game?). Quite a feather in the Bears cap.

Or did Miss St lose to a better team? I'll wait in that determination until after the PAC12 season! The Cardinal are GOOD!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/14/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised to see DePaul back in the top 25 - good to see two Big East teams in there and Butler is receiving votes also.

Marquette put out something on Facebook saying their #14 ranking in the AP poll set another new program best ranking. I'm confused by this as they reached 14 in last week's Coaches' poll. Are they maybe just counting the AP poll for rankings then? I'm not sure.

I'm feeling bummed about how little attention the team gets - I see all this buzz online about the MU men's team moving up to #15 in the latest AP poll. But yet we have this other great team in town no one wants to talk about or go see play Sad. Friday's home game will have a decent attendance # as it's a school kids game but Sunday afternoon they'll be lucky to get over 1500 fans. But the Men's game is pretty much sold out for Sunday morning of course (not much overlap between fans going to both men's and women's games so it doesn't really matter much for attendance if both teams play on the same day).

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frankly I don't think Miss. St should be #2 either but I used them as an example. Baylor beat UConn...and lost to the only other top team they played....and barely beat ASU. So they play in a B12 which is pretty weak this year. If they play UConn again, my bet would be on UConn. Miss. St lost to the only top team they played. Neither one deserves a #1 this year IMO. But one or both could well get it. I do think Miss St has a better chance at going further in the tourney.

ATM I think the best 3 teams are ND, Louis, and UConn. If I had to pick the 4th #1 it would be Oregon but not by a lot. It's pretty clear, unless they totally blow up, Oregon will either be a #1 or #2 in Portland so in a way it doesn't matter whether they are a #1 or #2. Either way they will have 'home' court advantage. It's pretty clear that any of the top'ish teams could beat up on one another on any particular night.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/19 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Frankly I don't think Miss. St should be #2 either but I used them as an example. Baylor beat UConn...and lost to the only other top team they played....and barely beat ASU. So they play in a B12 which is pretty weak this year.

UConn beat Notre Dame...and lost to the only other top team they played...and barely beat Oklahoma. They play in the American, which is a mid-major.

What makes the Hussies a more likely top seed than a Baylor team that beat them?

PostPosted: 01/14/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Frankly I don't think Miss. St should be #2 either but I used them as an example. Baylor beat UConn...and lost to the only other top team they played....and barely beat ASU. So they play in a B12 which is pretty weak this year.

UConn beat Notre Dame...and lost to the only other top team they played...and barely beat Oklahoma. They play in the American, which is a mid-major.

What makes the Hussies a more likely top seed than a Baylor team that beat them?

the eye test Laughing Maybe I'm biased against Baylor because I saw that game they lost. And I thought UConn beat themselves. We'll see what happens in the UConn-Louisville game. I'm guessing whichever one loses, they will drop to #2. How would you like to play in Albany against #2 UConn?

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/14/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most are convinced of the UCONN dominance over the years , but im starting to believe this UCONN team not being that good is no fluke. Barely getting by St.Johns , Cal , OU losing to Baylor then the performance versus USF yesterday cant all be blamed on UCONN beating themselves.

PostPosted: 01/15/19 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is the love fest for Minnesota going to end? I’m all about the B1G, but I thought they’d be out of the top-25 after starting B1G play 1-3. Rutgers had to start 5-0 just to get in.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/15/19 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I think most are convinced of the UCONN dominance over the years , but im starting to believe this UCONN team not being that good is no fluke. Barely getting by St.Johns , Cal , OU losing to Baylor then the performance versus USF yesterday cant all be blamed on UCONN beating themselves.

If they hadn't played their "A" game against ND (while ND didn't play that well), it might have been more apparent to this point for the pollsters. It's just that one game has defined them to date.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/15/19 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO of course you want to think that. Uconn definitely did not play their A game, the only player who did, was Williams in the first half, but then again your game plan was to leave her open and she burned you.

Uconn is playing a freshman and a player who is like a freshman and neither still know the plays or rotations. They of course will have their ups and downs. Just as in the Baylor game, we couldn’t get them out of their game plan of totally focusing on KLS as none of the players could hit the wide open shots that they were being given and Williams had a dear in the headlites moment. Add in very few calls by the refs and it was a shit show. Stanford at least got some calls deservedly so but when We just allowed Brown to just sit in the paint as her player didn’t want to shoot or missed, you deserve the result.

Both games have nothing to do with the other. The fact that Uconn has played all of its games in the road will hopefully help in the long run. The USF game involved a classic bench of the starters which he had decided before the game to see if he could get through to Williams and Walker. Unlike other teams who s coaches allow players to stand around when they don’t have the ball in their hands, Geno doesn’t allow that. The positive that came out was unexpected as a couple of our bench players did some really good things which could also help down the road.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/15/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

If they hadn't played their "A" game against ND (while ND didn't play that well), it might have been more apparent to this point for the pollsters. It's just that one game has defined them to date.

Is that the current excuse on your homer board for an 18 pt drubbing AT HOME? It was simply the result of UConn playing out of their asses while ND had an off game? Should we put an asterisk next to that UConn win? And since when is a victory a loss if the margin isn't wide enough? They beat USF by 17. Not enough for you?

UConn has played 4 ranked teams with an average MOV of +13 pts, and that includes the 11 pt loss to Baylor. UConn beat St Johns by 10, Okl by 9 and Cal by 10, the last 2 on the road. Hardly "barely got by". And UConn beat DePaul by 36 while the Irish only won by 24. Rolling Eyes

IMO the "one game" that the pollsters are seeing is the loss to Baylor while those same pollsters fail to see that 18 pt home loss by ND to a lower ranked team.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/15/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Is that the current excuse on your homer board for an 18 pt drubbing AT HOME? It was simply the result of UConn playing out of their asses while ND had an off game? Should we put an asterisk next to that UConn win? And since when is a victory a loss if the margin isn't wide enough? They beat USF by 17. Not enough for you?

UConn has played 4 ranked teams with an average MOV of +13 pts, and that includes the 11 pt loss to Baylor. UConn beat St Johns by 10, Okl by 9 and Cal by 10, the last 2 on the road. Hardly "barely got by". And UConn beat DePaul by 36 while the Irish only won by 24. Rolling Eyes

IMO the "one game" that the pollsters are seeing is the loss to Baylor while those same pollsters fail to see that 18 pt home loss by ND to a lower ranked team.

I guess that Massey has the same tunnel vision and blind spot as the voters. How else could Massey not value UConn's win over Notre Dame more than their loss to Baylor and the Huskies' other victories this season? How can Notre Dame possibly be ahead of UConn when the Irish lost at home to UConn by 18 points?

linkster

PostPosted: 01/15/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I guess that Massey has the same tunnel vision and blind spot as the voters. How else could Massey not value UConn's win over Notre Dame more than their loss to Baylor and the Huskies' other victories this season? How can Notre Dame possibly be ahead of UConn when the Irish lost at home to UConn by 18 points?

I am well aware of Massey's methodology. Let's keep it about the AP poll, which is the topic. Frankly I don't disagree with ND being ranked No 1. But that opinion is based on my subjective visuals. My point was meant to refer to Biebel's ridiculous excuse for N Dame getting trashed at home along with his comment about UConn's "tough games".

So like Irish fans to always have reasons for their defeats other than the fact that they weren't good enough. "We had injuries... We didn't play our A game." Yadda Yadda Yadda

I'll bet they beat Clemson and Alabama if only they had decided to play their A game. LOL

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/15/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Not just the "didn't play their 'A' game" reason (Even many UConn fans mentioned that ND lost their poise late in the game, and isn't that a common theme among many of those UConn fans? If UConn does lose, it was because they didn't play their "A" game?), but how about Mabrey just coming back from injury and various team injuries early in the season (ND had 4 different starting lineups in the first 7 games)? Did you see all those bunnies ND was missing? How little the team was passing the ball? I mean, ND only had 10 assists (for a team that averages 19.9 apg, and 16.6 apg against ranked teams. And that includes a few games where ND had it's first and second string PGs out with injury!) Does that sound like a typical ND game?

Want to go by "ranked teams and MOV?" Okay. ND has played SEVEN ranked teams with a MOV of 15.7, including the 18 point loss to UConn.

Sure, a healthy UConn beat DePaul at home by 36 points while a ND team without their starting PG only beat them by 24 on the road. Nice comparison there, too.

Basically, since the UConn game, ND has finally been able to get almost fully healthy (one freshman is out for the season with a shoulder injury) and get their butts in gear. The pollsters are looking at the overall body of work, not just one or two games.

It's a fun exercise in debating this stuff, but it really is irrelevant. I'm just pointing out the pollsters reasoning. As long as ND gets the #1 seed in Chicago, I'm fine.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/17/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nine ranked teams have lost this week

PostPosted: 01/18/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nine ranked teams have lost this week

yeah it will be fun to see what the pollsters do now. Hard to move them all down, which is the typical response.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: