RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CBA Opt-out Deadline is Looming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
The number of games broadcast in the two TV contracts (WNBA, MLS) is significantly different. The $75 million MLS gets from ESPN and Fox is for a minimum of 68 regular season games plus 15 playoff games (17 done this year??). The WNBA and ESPN negotiated their $12 million March 2013 (coming off worst WNBA ESPN ratings ever in 2012) deal for up to 30 games a year, including the finals. A year later (I think both WNBA negotiations were due to the NBA/ESPN negotiations) it was re-negotiated to be $25 million. I don't know what the new contract had as far as games televised. For 2018 they were scheduled to show 13 regular season games (maybe changed) plus were ready to show 19 playoff games. Four of the playoff games were to be on ESPNNews. Disregarding that difference gets 32 possible games televised. So the price per game ends up being a lot closer than $25 million versus $75 million. $25 million/32 is $781,250 per game for ESPN to broadcast a WNBA game this year if they maximized playoff games. The highest average price ESPN/Fox could pay for an MLS game is ($75 million / 85 ) $882,352 per game . All of the regular season and over half of the MLS playoff games are also shown on a "Deportes" Spanish version of ESPN and Fox Sports 1.

Great analysis ... these are complex business decisions that are negotiated by people who understand the large numbers of competing agendas. Of course it's possible the WNBA got screwed; it's also possible they got the best deal they could.

I can't force myself to watch more than about 10 minutes of MLS and men's college basketball is just boring to me (unless I'm watching a one-and-done kid who will be in the draft). But I'll watch badminton and table tennis on the Olympic channel, and pretty much any MLB or NBA game.

The point is that it's a large, fragmented audience and no one strategy is going to work for ESPN or the networks. In an ideal world, all games of all leagues would be televised at a professional level, and we would be able to pick and choose.

I think the question everyone wonders about, in every niche sport, is if the playing field were truly level, which sports would rise and which ones would fall.

PostPosted: 11/08/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Comment about a former player is interesting. Anybody have any ideas on a former player for Pres? (Aside from Catchings who has been discussed already.)

Sonja Henning

PostPosted: 01/21/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SOLVING THE WNBA'S LABOR DISPUTE STARTS WITH RESPECT

https://www.ozy.com/opinion/solving-the-wnbas-labor-dispute-starts-with-respect/91818#.XEYt_0iQAzg.twitter

Quote:
The NBA grew into a multibillion-dollar behemoth via marketable superstars like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, leading to today’s social-media-heavy, personality-driven coverage. The WNBA has no such exposure, in part because its players disappear during the league’s winter offseason to play overseas and make money.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The NBA grew into a multibillion-dollar behemoth via marketable superstars like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, leading to today’s social-media-heavy, personality-driven coverage. The WNBA has no such exposure, in part because its players disappear during the league’s winter offseason to play overseas and make money.

Except that a bunch of them are sticking around these days, including several of the bigger names, and outside of the occasional article about their offseason jobs, no one really gives a crap. When you're anything other than the NFL, it's hard to keep people interested when your offseason lasts two-thirds of the year.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Except that a bunch of them are sticking around these days, including several of the bigger names, and outside of the occasional article about their offseason jobs, no one really gives a crap. When you're anything other than the NFL, it's hard to keep people interested when your offseason lasts two-thirds of the year.

It seems like every time you turn around, another one pops up doing WBB broadcast work. They can't all be game announcers, can they?

Wink

tfan

PostPosted: 01/22/19 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Isn't that statement actually calling for "marketable superstars" in the WNBA?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/22/19 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me what are the major issues the players want to address with a new CBA? Are there specific numbers they want to achieve with the salaries for rookies and veterans?

PostPosted: 01/22/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Can anyone explain to me what are the major issues the players want to address with a new CBA? Are there specific numbers they want to achieve with the salaries for rookies and veterans?

Great questions ... the discussions about fairness, etc., are theoretical, for the most part. The details are eminently practical, and they will drive the CBA negotiations.

After all, even if the WNBA did hand over more financial info, it would still be coming from the teams, and could only be trusted to a certain extent. Accountants can make the numbers sing opera or country and western, depending on what they're told to do.

PostPosted: 01/22/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Great questions ... the discussions about fairness, etc., are theoretical, for the most part. The details are eminently practical, and they will drive the CBA negotiations.

After all, even if the WNBA did hand over more financial info, it would still be coming from the teams, and could only be trusted to a certain extent. Accountants can make the numbers sing opera or country and western, depending on what they're told to do.

I think in this case, they will be singing the blues.....

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me it sounded like Nneka was conceding early on that doing something about the travel situation is what they are seeking at the minimum. Seems to be the universal qualm among players. I’d also go for getting the core frequency reduced or eliminated. Up the overseas bonus and stipulate that it gets used as an actual bonus instead of a way to circumvent the salary cap as certain teams appear to do now.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/19 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA's Labor Market Is A Sports Owner's Dream

https://www.wnbainsidr.com/insidr/the-wnbas-labor-market-is-a-sports-owners-dream

Quote:
no professional sports league has been able to achieve the number of restrictions adopted by the WNBA

PostPosted: 02/15/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no, not this David Berri guy again. All he’s going to accomplish if the players listen to him is incite the players to strike, which would likely mean the end to the league.

This guy’s activism belongs in the corporate world, where gender bias actually can exist in the form of pay differences for the same job. The sports world is driven by consumer demand. If there’s a gender bias, it’s from the consumer, not the WNBA team owners.

He doesn’t adequately prove to me how “investing” in the players by having the league run much deeper in the red will suddenly make the league popular to the point that arena seats get filled and ESPN pays much more for broadcasting rights.

Last edited by Shades on 02/15/19 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/15/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Oh no, not this David Berri guy again. All he’s going to accomplish if the players listen to him is incite the players to strike, which would likely mean the end to the league.

This guy’s activism belongs in the corporate world, when gender bias actually exists in the form of pay differences. The sports world is driven by consumer demand. If there’s a gender bias, it’s from the consumer, not the WNBA team owners.

He doesn’t adequately prove to me how “investing” in the players by having the league run much deeper in the red will suddenly make the league popular to the point that arena seats get filled and ESPN pays much more for broadcasting rights.

X_______

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more stuff I read like this - the less sympathetic I am to the players. I wonder if this guy has ever been to a WNBA game?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The more stuff I read like this - the less sympathetic I am to the players. I wonder if this guy has ever been to a WNBA game?

Didn’t I post that one tweet of his? He characterized Zandalasini as a WNBA player that needed to seek extra revenue overseas. Oops! It’s the other way around. He’d probably would know that if he was really familiar with the league.

Here’s where I posted his tweet.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=95243&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=56

Last edited by Shades on 02/15/19 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I remember it. Yeah - he even thinks the attendance numbers are for real......

Shades

PostPosted: 05/09/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Mystics president Sheila Johnson says WNBA players need to be paid a lot more

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/sports-business-leadership/summit/article/26702077/washington-mystics-president-sheila-johnson-says-wnba-players-need-paid-lot-more

Quote:
Washington Mystics president and managing partner Sheila Johnson on Wednesday called for better pay for WNBA players, saying "our players need to be paid."

"We need money," Johnson said to applause at espnW Summit, NYC. "This is something that we are constantly fighting for. ... I really think my biggest role is going out to corporations and literally trying to sell my team for corporate sponsorship."

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/19 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew they had to do something. Can’t just go on without a CBA, even in the offseason.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/28/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do we think a new deal gets done by the end of the year?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The way I see it, either they get a new CBA done, stick with the old one like they’re doing for up to the next 60 days, or not have a WNBA season. Take your pick.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27950137/wnba-players-union-extend-cba-60-days-amid-talks

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/28/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The way I see it, either they get a new CBA done, stick with the old one like they’re doing for up to the next 60 days, or not have a WNBA season. Take your pick.

Those are literally the only options.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/28/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Those are literally the only options.

The NFL played a couple of seasons in the 80's with no CBA

PostPosted: 10/28/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBA and Brexit negotiations both get extensions, both liable to be affected by people involved not wanting to miss out on their holidays.

WNBA probably pushed theirs specifically to Dec 31 because that's the last date they can go to without having to make changes to the standard offseason schedule. It's usually January 1-14 for handing out qualifying offers, January 15-31 for negotiations, and then February onwards for actual signings. But they've shunted those dates around in the past when necessary. There's no real reason you couldn't do it in March, and/or compress the time periods for each stage. People will start to stress about the schedule and things like that, though.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So - almost half way into the 2 month extension and no news.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: