RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CBA Opt-out Deadline is Looming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those figures - like the 500k+ one for 'top players' - are a lot higher than the numbers I was hearing very recently. Expect that to be a total including all sorts of in- and off-season bonuses, not the actual listed max salary (which may well be less than half of that).

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-and-wnbpa-reach-tentative-agreement-on-groundbreaking-eight-year-collective-bargaining-agreement/

The following are the key elements in the new 2020 WNBA-WNBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Additional cash compensation elements:

Minimum of $1.6 million in off-season league and team marketing agreements, that both recognize top performance and highlight the diversity of the league, and would create up to $300,000 in additional annual cash compensation for select players.

Minimum of $750,000 in prize money for special competitions beginning with the 2021 season.

New 50-50 revenue sharing beginning with the 2021 season, based on the league achieving revenue growth targets from broadcast agreements, marketing partnerships and licensing deals.

Increases in cash bonuses for performance awards (such as for WNBA MVP and Rookie of the Year), and newly created cash bonuses (such as for each player named to the WNBA All-Defensive First Team).

Quality of travel elements:

Premium Economy class status (such as Comfort/Economy Plus) for all players for regular-season air travel.

Individual hotel room accommodations for every player.

A collaborative effort to address travel concerns through the Player Advisory Panel.

Motherhood and family planning elements:

Players to receive full salary while on maternity leave.

A new annual childcare stipend of $5,000.

Two-bedroom apartments for players with children.

Workplace accommodations that provide a comfortable, safe and private place for nursing mothers.

New, progressive family planning benefits of up to a $60,000 reimbursement for veteran players for costs directly related to adoption, surrogacy, oocyte cryopreservation or fertility/infertility treatment.

Free agency elements

Unrestricted free agency available to players one year earlier than under the prior agreement beginning with the free agency period leading up to the 2021 season. Specifically, players who complete the playing services called for in their contract and have five or more years of service will become unrestricted free agents (if they are not designated as a “Core” player).

Reduction in the number of times a player can receive the “Core” designation – from four to three beginning with the 2020 season, dropping to two beginning with the 2022 season.

Career development and other quality of life elements:

The WNBA will work with its affiliated leagues, teams and sponsors to provide off-season job opportunities designed to prepare players for their post-playing careers and will advance diversity in coaching initiatives for veteran players interested in coaching careers.

Enhanced mental health benefits and resources.

An augmented and holistic domestic/intimate partner violence program that includes education and counseling.

A joint Nutrition Council committed to identifying resources and address proper nutrition to optimize athletic performance.

Access to experts in women’s health and representation on league policy committees.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any ideas on what the "special competitions" might be. Sounds like they might have some kind of tournament.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Any ideas on what the "special competitions" might be. Sounds like they might have some kind of tournament.

Water balloon toss and three-legged race.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Diggins left a way bigger mark on CBA negotiations than I imagined.

Will pregnancies soar? Cambage talked about wanting to be a mother in one of her articles. This could be opportunistic for her.

Last edited by Shades on 01/14/20 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Based on?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

As Feinberg mentioned, they're talking about a 'Commissioner's Cup' midseason, similar to what the NBA's been suggesting lately. It'll give the teams something else to potentially win, and the players an extra pool to make more cash.

Whether anyone will care much about it - whether teams, players or fans - remains to be seen.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the all of the players (present and future).

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=28481973&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

Last edited by Genero36 on 01/14/20 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Max base going from $117,500 to $215,000
Salary cap going from $996K to $1.3 million... must not include those hefty bonuses.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Well, traditionally there's a talent competition, interviews, evening gowns, the on stage question, and the always popular swimsuit competition.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition to the high maximum salary, sources also confirmed to ESPN that the 2020 salary cap will be $1.3 million, up from $996,100 in 2019. The finalized agreement will have salary and salary-cap figures for the eight-year period.

The league said there will be a 53% increase in total cash compensation, separate from insurance benefits, housing, per diems, etc. Cash compensation consists of base salary, additional performance bonuses, prize pools for newly created in-season competitions, and league and team marketing deals.

That means the league's top players could earn cash compensation in excess of $500,000, which would more than triple the prior maximum compensation. Other top players have the chance to earn between $200,000 and $300,000. The average cash compensation will be nearly $130,000.

Quote:
As for revenue sharing, starting in 2021, there will be a chance for a 50/50 split between players and the league, based on the achievement of revenue growth targets from broadcast agreements, marketing partnerships and licensing deals. Past revenue sharing was tied to ticket sales and provided only about a 20% option for the players -- but according to the union, it wasn't triggered because the specified goals weren't met. This revenue-sharing plan, the union believes, has a more realistic chance of benefiting the players.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28480768/new-wnba-cba-include-salary-bump-other-cash-compensation-increases

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure about some of the math. They talk about raising the cap by only $300k while increasing max compensation by $400k. With one star player that already looks like a shortfall. What happens if you have more than one star? I guess some bonuses are excluded from the cap. Even so, it looks to me like teams will have to squeeze their non-star players in order to pay the stars.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I'm not sure about some of the math. They talk about raising the cap by only $300k while increasing max compensation by $400k. With one star player that already looks like a shortfall. What happens if you have more than one star? I guess some bonuses are excluded from the cap. Even so, it looks to me like teams will have to squeeze their non-star players in order to pay the stars.

Maximum base salary is 215k, which is what I assume counts against the cap. It's a big increase but max contracts will be a lot less prevalent now. Only actual stars will get them, not every decent starter.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the team salary cap only increasing by $300K, that doesn’t leave a lot of room for these new higher base salaries. How many will actually be allowed to make $215K?

Will existing contracts be adjusted accordingly?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
With the team salary cap only increasing by $300K, that doesn’t leave a lot of room for these new higher base salaries. How many will actually be allowed to make $215K?

I'd assume only one. Whoever the team's MVP type player is.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

In terms of 'adjustments' - i.e. contracts that are already signed and running - I'd assume none. It's never been done before in this league or the NBA, as far as I'm aware, so no reason to assume it'll happen now. You get to join in on the bumped figures when you sign a new deal. Won't be that long for anyone, given the length of WNBA contracts.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I think a lot of teams will have two, and some even three (Phoenix with their current roster definitely would)

Randy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Will pregnancies soar? Cambage talked about wanting to be a mother in one of her articles. This could be opportunistic for her.

I read something in the WNBA press release that sounded like the medical name for egg freezing. Who knows maybe some new sponsorship opportunity as well.

Quote:
New, progressive family planning benefits of up to a $60,000 reimbursement for veteran players for costs directly related to adoption, surrogacy, oocyte cryopreservation or fertility/infertility treatment.

Last edited by Randy on 01/14/20 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New WNBA CBA to include salary bump, other cash compensation increases
Mechelle Voepel (espnW.com)

Highlights of WNBA CBA

Code:
• Annual base pay for league's highest paid player jumps from $117,500 to $215,000.
• With other benefits, the league's top players could earn cash compensation in excess of $500,000.
• The agreement is for eight years, from the 2020 through 2027 seasons with a mutual opt-out provision after six years.
• 2020 salary cap will be $1.3 million, up from $996,100 in 2019, sources tell ESPN.
• Players who complete their contracts and have five or more years of service can become unrestricted free agents, unless they are tagged as a "core" player.
• The number of times a player can be tagged as "core" goes from four to three beginning this season, and drops to two beginning with the 2022 season.
• Players will receive full salary while on maternity leave, an annual childcare stipend of $5,000, and guarantee of two-bedroom apartments for players with children.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28480768/undefined
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28480768/new-wnba-cba-include-salary-bump-other-cash-compensation-increases

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the new CBA means for the WNBA and its players
Mechelle Voepel (espnW.com)

Quote:
The WNBA and the Women's National Basketball Players Association had been negotiating since the players in 2018 opted out early from the previous agreement, which then ended after the 2019 season.

Here are some of the main things the new agreement will address.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28482619/what-new-cba-means-wnba-players

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Maximum base salary is 215k, which is what I assume counts against the cap. It's a big increase but max contracts will be a lot less prevalent now. Only actual stars will get them, not every decent starter.

All I can say, as someone who spent much of his career doing corporate budgeting and planning, is that this looks like a huge bump in overall compensation cost. Whether it hits the cap or not, teams have to shell out real money. And don't forget the upgrades in travel, housing, and even pregnancy leave. I don't know how they're going to pay for it. Either the league has really optimistic projections for future revenue or the owners have been holding out on the players bigtime. This is no gradual or incremental change like you normally see in a new union contract. Something is off -- I feel it in my bones.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
root_thing wrote:

All I can say, as someone who spent much of his career doing corporate budgeting and planning, is that this looks like a huge bump in overall compensation cost. Whether it hits the cap or not, teams have to shell out real money. And don't forget the upgrades in travel, housing, and even pregnancy leave. I don't know how they're going to pay for it. Either the league has really optimistic projections for future revenue or the owners have been holding out on the players bigtime. This is no gradual or incremental change like you normally see in a new union contract. Something is off -- I feel it in my bones.

For what it's worth, I was raising similar questions and had a brief exchange with Feinberg about it: https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1217103766312431616?s=20 and https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1217110510472253445?s=20

It does feel like there's a pretty significant jump here. Hopefully it's more that we're not really being given the details about how they're going to cover that gap, rather than that they don't know. Or potentially that line about the revenue spread hitting 50/50 'based on the league achieving revenue growth targets from broadcast agreements, marketing partnerships and licensing deals' could also limit things more than is being talked about amongst all the euphoria. If they don't hit those targets, then maybe the amount they have to cough up is brought down under greater control.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cMp7Gxqdkzo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/cMp7Gxqdkzo

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been confused why nobody dug up how much CBS Sports pays for their broadcasting rights of 40 games, which is a little more games than ESPN pays $25 million. Seemed like nobody thought it was relevant.

I think NBA has to step up its negotiation power in behalf of the WNBA. If you want NBA broadcasting rights, you have to pay more for WNBA rights.

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: