RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Interesting early games discussion

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12725



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 11:34 am    ::: Interesting early games discussion Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed a number of really interesting opening or first week games.

One of my favorite will be Miss St traveling to UVA on Nov 9. For me, this should be a good preview of two teams seemingly coming from opposite directions. Has Miss St slipped at all from their loss of four starters? Is UVA with a veteran team and new coach finally ready to really step up? With Felicia Aiyeotan, UVA is one of the few teams that can at least match McCowan's height, even if not her strength. UVA's 2nd game at KY will be interesting to me because I have no idea what KY is this year.

UConn-OHST will of course be one of the biggest openers and it will be interesting to see where both teams stand, although I don't expect it to be close.

What other first week games should I be eagerly anticipating?

Other than DePaul, Notre Dame's schedule doesn't really get interesting until the Vancouver Showcase starting Nov 22 where it will face Gonzaga and likely Rutgers and Oregon St. (or SCar).


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 228



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon vs Syracuse
Drake vs Nebraska
Stanford vs UC Davis
Rice vs Texas A&M


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12725



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 228



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Well there’s several reasons that this could be a notable game. Rice was a solid team last year and that was with one of the Ogwumike sisters injured for quite a bit of the season. They return a senior who didn’t play last year but was a big contributor the years she was healthy. Another thing that interests me is to see if Nancy Mulkey has developed any.

On the Texas A&M side, how will the team due with two major contributors transferring. Has Carter changed any. Another thing to note is This game was a battle last year.

It may not interest you, but this could be an upset for sure with lots of answers to questions I’ve had.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12725



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Well there’s several reasons that this could be a notable game. Rice was a solid team last year and that was with one of the Ogwumike sisters injured for quite a bit of the season. They return a senior who didn’t play last year but was a big contributor the years she was healthy. Another thing that interests me is to see if Nancy Mulkey has developed any.

On the Texas A&M side, how will the team due with two major contributors transferring. Has Carter changed any. Another thing to note is This game was a battle last year.

It may not interest you, but this could be an upset for sure with lots of answers to questions I’ve had.


Thank you for the info. With your explanation this now sounds interesting. Which was sort of my point in starting this thread.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 228



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Well there’s several reasons that this could be a notable game. Rice was a solid team last year and that was with one of the Ogwumike sisters injured for quite a bit of the season. They return a senior who didn’t play last year but was a big contributor the years she was healthy. Another thing that interests me is to see if Nancy Mulkey has developed any.

On the Texas A&M side, how will the team due with two major contributors transferring. Has Carter changed any. Another thing to note is This game was a battle last year.

It may not interest you, but this could be an upset for sure with lots of answers to questions I’ve had.


Thank you for the info. With your explanation this now sounds interesting. Which was sort of my point in starting this thread.


You're welcome.

I’ll also throw in Marquette vs SDSU. Macy Miller is a stud.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4848
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU plays George Washington at home the first week. Unfortunately I won't be able to see that one as I'll be traveling (business). I almost always miss the first game, dangit!. However, the Dukes have Some other interesting early games lined up, including Georgetown and Dayton, which I will get to see.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2244



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Well there’s several reasons that this could be a notable game. Rice was a solid team last year and that was with one of the Ogwumike sisters injured for quite a bit of the season. They return a senior who didn’t play last year but was a big contributor the years she was healthy. Another thing that interests me is to see if Nancy Mulkey has developed any.

On the Texas A&M side, how will the team due with two major contributors transferring. Has Carter changed any. Another thing to note is This game was a battle last year.

It may not interest you, but this could be an upset for sure with lots of answers to questions I’ve had.


Thank you for the info. With your explanation this now sounds interesting. Which was sort of my point in starting this thread.


You're welcome.

I’ll also throw in Marquette vs SDSU. Macy Miller is a stud.


That one is interesting to me as it's the first Marquette game of the season - can't wait Smile. It's also a scream game where they host school kids. I like those games because my kids are in school and I get to concentrate on the actual game more when I'm there solo - well worth the 1/2 day of vacation Smile.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23135



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Oregon vs Syracuse


yeah, this one is interesting. The short bench Oregon team vs a totally experienced (all starters back?) 'Cuse.

also Vandy at Middle Tenn. - can White beat a good mid?
Gulf Coast at SDSU - two usually good mids
Florida at FSU?
Baylor v ASU though expect that to be a crush as well.




Last edited by myrtle on 10/19/18 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 228



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice vs Texas A&M


Is it the debut of the Ogwumike sisters that makes this notable? Because honestly when I first saw your list I was wondering why I would go out of my way to watch this game.


Well there’s several reasons that this could be a notable game. Rice was a solid team last year and that was with one of the Ogwumike sisters injured for quite a bit of the season. They return a senior who didn’t play last year but was a big contributor the years she was healthy. Another thing that interests me is to see if Nancy Mulkey has developed any.

On the Texas A&M side, how will the team due with two major contributors transferring. Has Carter changed any. Another thing to note is This game was a battle last year.

It may not interest you, but this could be an upset for sure with lots of answers to questions I’ve had.


Thank you for the info. With your explanation this now sounds interesting. Which was sort of my point in starting this thread.


You're welcome.

I’ll also throw in Marquette vs SDSU. Macy Miller is a stud.


That one is interesting to me as it's the first Marquette game of the season - can't wait Smile. It's also a scream game where they host school kids. I like those games because my kids are in school and I get to concentrate on the actual game more when I'm there solo - well worth the 1/2 day of vacation Smile.


Any update on Tori McCoy? I really hope the best for her. Great person and great talent.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5082
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn vs. Ohio State on November 11.

The game outcome may not be much in doubt, but there will be interesting questions to be answered.

Will UConn still be a powerhouse on offense and defense after losing three WNBA top 10 draftees (two of them national DPOY's) to graduation, and necessarily having to rely heavily on two freshman, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa?

What in Odin's name will TOSU look like with all the departures and a team that features the bizarre roster configuration of an unprecedented six graduate students (five of them transfers!!!!!), along with one senior, one junior, one sophomore, and three freshman?
Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 252



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/18 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a few that pop out.

North Carolina-Elon
Northern Colorado-Colorado (How do the Bears do without their coach from last season in the battle for Colorado supremacy....sorry Northern Colorado and Denver.)
Northern Colorado-LSU (Litmus test for Fargas against a team that beat them last season.)

South Dakota-Creighton
Drake-Nebraska (I have a soft spot for Drake, okay? Lizzy Wendell burned a hole in my heart with her scoring.)

Vanderbilt-Middle Tennessee (A preview into the train wreck that may be Vandy this season -- I'll echo Myrtle that this is a big test for White.)

Florida Gulf Coast - South Dakota State (Macy Miller versus live or die by the three)

SDSU-Central Michigan

Western Kentucky - Oklahoma (Can Collins continue the Hilltoppers tradition of being tough with majors following the departure of Michelle Clark-Heard?)

Green Bay vs. DePaul


BallState1984



Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 1876
Location: Halfway between Muncie and West Lafayette


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/21/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ball State and Purdue open against each other. Ball State lost Carmen Grande to Ohio State and if Purdue loses this game, the Boiler fans will be on the warpath.



_________________
Terminally afffected with Our Girl Syndrome and proud of it!
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2244



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/21/18 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:


Any update on Tori McCoy? I really hope the best for her. Great person and great talent.


I haven't really heard anything since this summer when there was a letter publicly released about her need for a kidney transplant. I'm hoping for the best for her also.


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 252



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/23/18 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m hearing that Minnesota sold out for Whalen’s first game against New Hampshire. Quite the feat!


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin