RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC media poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/16/18 10:10 pm    ::: SEC media poll Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi St is picked to win the SEC in the media poll ahead of South Carolina and Tennessee. Teaira McCowan is the preseason player of the year pick. The complete order of finish is:

Order of Finish

1. Mississippi State
2. South Carolina
3. Tennessee
4. Georgia
5. Missouri
6. Texas A&M
7. Kentucky
8. Auburn
9. LSU
10. Alabama
11. Arkansas
12. Florida
13. Vanderbilt
14. Ole Miss

Player of the Year

Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State

Preseason All-SEC

Caliya Robinson, Georgia
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State
Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Alexis Jennings, South Carolina
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/16/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like South Carolina because of their gaurd depth. Experienced guards trump experienced posts

Also like Georgia.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/17/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I like South Carolina because of their gaurd depth. Experienced guards trump experienced posts

Also like Georgia.

I too, like South Carolina. While they'll obviously miss Wilson, Alexis Jennings isn't chopped liver. She is more than capable, IMO, of being All-SEC and getting some AA mentions. What South Carolina really needs is some 3 point shooting. I think they might be waaaaay more dangerous this year than people expect because they won't be so one dimensional.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

I too, like South Carolina. While they'll obviously miss Wilson, Alexis Jennings isn't chopped liver. She is more than capable, IMO, of being All-SEC and getting some AA mentions. What South Carolina really needs is some 3 point shooting. I think they might be waaaaay more dangerous this year than people expect because they won't be so one dimensional.

Remember last season when AJA missed a game or 2 ? Imagine that for a full season . SC is highly overrated , but im not sure they can be in a weak SEC this year. Pretty much will be a battle for who's worse .

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

Remember last season when AJA missed a game or 2 ? Imagine that for a full season . SC is highly overrated , but im not sure they can be in a weak SEC this year. Pretty much will be a battle for who's worse .

Guards have been their weakness all along. Does anyone really expect guard play to save them this year?

I'm expecting a huge drop off. Maybe 3rd in the SEC but that's only because other usual contenders like KY and aTm and LSU look thoroughly underwhelming, and I'm not sold on UGA or Mizzoo.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/17/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wouldn't it be something if SC won the SEC again. They still have good players on the team. MS has lost a few of their best players. It is way 2 early to guess.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
It is way 2 early to guess.

Isn't that the entire point of this media poll and of this forum.

Guess we'll see you next April since you don't think there's anything worth discussing until then. Rolling Eyes

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll guess MSSt first and UTK second, although I'm wobbly on the Vols now that my fave, Anastasia Hayes, is mysteriously in the wind.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/17/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'll guess MSSt first and UTK second, although I'm wobbly on the Vols now that my fave, Anastasia Hayes, is mysteriously in the wind.

Tenn certainly has the talent. My hesitation is in trying to predict how much the Holly factor will restrain their sucess.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

Totally agree. They were so bad without Aja. I don’t see them being the second best team in the SEC. I can see Georgia take the second spot. They get Staiti at Center this season. Robinson has so much potential and their guards are feisty.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/18/18 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

Totally agree. They were so bad without Aja. I don’t see them being the second best team in the SEC. I can see Georgia take the second spot. They get Staiti at Center this season. Robinson has so much potential and their guards are feisty.

To me, that is completely different. They had their best player out for 2 games. They had no idea how to play without her because they didn't have to. This team, from day 1 won't have her and they'll create an entire new identity. If you sat Stewie, Tuck, and Moriah during the 2016 season and put the 2017 starters on the floor(who were all on that team), they too, would've looked like garbage and lost games. I don't think you can compare.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/18/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

How many games did Wilson miss last season? How many were losses?

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/18/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

2 or 3 games. They lost to Tennessee and it wasn’t pretty.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/18/18 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

2 or 3 games. They lost to Tennessee and it wasn’t pretty.

Thanks. I was too lazy to look it up.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/19/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

To me, that is completely different. They had their best player out for 2 games. They had no idea how to play without her because they didn't have to. This team, from day 1 won't have her and they'll create an entire new identity. If you sat Stewie, Tuck, and Moriah during the 2016 season and put the 2017 starters on the floor(who were all on that team), they too, would've looked like garbage and lost games. I don't think you can compare.

Bart makes a good point. I remember Skylar's last year at Notre Dame. Whenever she sat, the team looked terrible. But the following year the team was excellent with freshman Lindsay Allen running the point. In fact the team had an undefeated season going into the national championship game. But alas, the loss of Natalie Achonwa in the Elite 8 game vs. Baylor was too much to overcome in the finals against an excellent (also undefeated) UConn team (Stewie's sophomore season).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/19/18 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

Bart makes a good point. I remember Skylar's last year at Notre Dame. Whenever she sat, the team looked terrible. But the following year the team was excellent with freshman Lindsay Allen running the point. In fact the team had an undefeated season going into the national championship game. But alas, the loss of Natalie Achonwa in the Elite 8 game vs. Baylor was too much to overcome in the finals against an excellent (also undefeated) UConn team (Stewie's sophomore season).

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison at all. With McBride and Achonwa along with Diggins, ND was not remotely a one-trick pony like SCar was with Wilson last year. Also, the next year, in addition to adding Allen, ND also returned Achonwa and McBride and Ariel Braker and Jewell Lloyd, and Michaela Mabrey and Madison Cable and added Reimer as a freshman also. There are four current WNBA players (two all-stars) and three college coaches on that roster. Who are the future WNBA all stars an the SCar roster? It's not at all a good comparison for this year's Gamecocks because they don't have nearly the talent of the '13-'14 ND team that went 38-1. It's what you lose AND what you add/return. SCar lost a much bigger part if its teams in Wilson and returns a lot less. Expecting a similar result seems far-fetched to me.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/19/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Also like Georgia.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison at all. With McBride and Achonwa along with Diggins, ND was not remotely a one-trick pony like SCar was with Wilson last year. Also, the next year, in addition to adding Allen, ND also returned Achonwa and McBride and Ariel Braker and Jewell Lloyd, and Michaela Mabrey and Madison Cable and added Reimer as a freshman also. There are four current WNBA players (two all-stars) and three college coaches on that roster. Who are the future WNBA all stars an the SCar roster? It's not at all a good comparison for this year's Gamecocks because they don't have nearly the talent of the '13-'14 ND team that went 38-1. It's what you lose AND what you add/return. SCar lost a much bigger part if its teams in Wilson and returns a lot less. Expecting a similar result seems far-fetched to me.

Notre Dame comparison aside, just look at the rest of the SEC teams of the possible front runners To South Carolina. Mississippi State lost her entire starting back court. They may have some fantastic guards coming in but are they going to offset the loss of the players that graduated? Tennessee lost their starting front court. They also lost the key reserve coming off the bench. I think it remains to be seen whether the new candidates coming in I could be able to replace that loss. Texas A&M may very well be a one person team. And Missouri is implementing a whole new style of offense and defense because the last entire post game. They're trying to do that over the course of the summer. I'm curious and interested to see how that whole process will take place. I honestly think the best team in the league could very well be Georgia who returned the most experience of any other team in the conference.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/19/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
It is way 2 early to guess.

Isn't that the entire point of this media poll and of this forum.

Guess we'll see you next April since you don't think there's anything worth discussing until then. Rolling Eyes

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say there was nothing to discussing until then. If that were the case I wouldn't even be on this forum. The W is over til next year so now it is time to get back with the college teams. The season hasn't started yet and I like to see teams play before I make a statement!!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/20/18 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
...Tennessee lost their starting front court. They also lost the key reserve coming off the bench. I think it remains to be seen whether the new candidates coming in I could be able to replace that loss...

I think replacing lost pieces is the wrong mindset and a route to disaster. This is going to be a completely different team without Russell. The last 3 years were spent waiting for her to get set up offensively and trying to play an inside-out game, then relying on mediocre 3 point shooting when that plan went to ****. This year the team will be much faster, and Westbrook's ability to move the ball in a running offense is going to be the key to Tenn's success. Green and KK are more physical players which is going to change the inside play considerably, although the loss of Brown may hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: