RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

College Sports Madness Top 44
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/07/18 9:01 am    ::: College Sports Madness Top 44 Reply Reply with quote

College Sports Madness started their 2018 ranking of the top 44 Women's teams this past week. Catching everyone up.

44. Indiana
43. Belmont
42. Kentucky
41. Oklahoma State
40. Dayton
39. Virginia
38. Gonzaga
37. Green Bay
36. Ohio State
35. Geo Tech
34. Nebraska
33. Cal
32. LSU
31. West Virginia

As usual, they have a little synopsis of each team; who left, who returned, who is. E.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/womens-basketball/top-44-previews

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/07/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State at 36? Laughing

Gonzaga without Jill Barta? Laughing

Uhh. Indiana lost Amanda Cahill AND Tyra Buss. I don't think so....

Are they throwing names against a wall and seeing if they stick?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/08/18 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Ohio State at 36? Laughing

Gonzaga without Jill Barta? Laughing

Uhh. Indiana lost Amanda Cahill AND Tyra Buss. I don't think so....

Are they throwing names against a wall and seeing if they stick?

Well, once you get out of Top 20, really it's a guessing game anyway. if anything, they tend to be "optimistic" regarding teams like OSU and McGuffs ability to mesh a bunch of newcomers together.

I imagine their top 20 list will look like the ones put out by everyone else.

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/12/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gophers enter the list at #26!

PostPosted: 10/12/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like the Big 10 will have 7 teams in their top 44, assuming Maryland and Iowa are in their top 25. That may a little high, but with no dominant team that would make for a very interesting conference race.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/12/18 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
It looks like the Big 10 will have 7 teams in their top 44, assuming Maryland and Iowa are in their top 25. That may a little high, but with no dominant team that would make for a very interesting conference race.

Might see Michigan State as well.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/13/18 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Michigan schools are always overrated. They have all these top 100 recruits and they don't maximize their potential at all.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/13/18 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

MAY
be?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/17/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Both Michigan schools are always overrated. They have all these top 100 recruits and they don't maximize their potential at all.

Huh?

In regards to this poll, Michigan State hasn't even been listed for the last two seasons and is doubtful to be this season.

Michigan's been listed three times in the history of this poll.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Huh?

In regards to this poll, Michigan State hasn't even been listed for the last two seasons and is doubtful to be this season.

Michigan's been listed three times in the history of this poll.

My apologies. Overrated was the wrong word. I should say they underachieve or are poorely coached. The amount of talent that comes to both of th9se schools, they should be regulars in not just the NCAA tournament, but should win a game or two in 5he tournament regualrly, but they don't.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn’t NoDakSt updating this thread?

#21 Duke Women's Basketball
#22 UCLA Women's Basketball
#23 Texas A&M Women's Basketball
#24 Arizona State Women's Basketball
#25 Florida State Women's Basketball
#26 Minnesota Women's Basketball
#27 Miami (FL) Women's Basketball
#28 Michigan Women's Basketball
#29 Oklahoma Women's Basketball
#30 Central Michigan Women's Basketball

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SocksTerp

PostPosted: 10/18/18 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Gophers enter the list at #26!

Gophers will be very good this year, they return a lot of firepower.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/27/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The next 10 as the countdown continues...

11. Miss St.
12. Missouri
13. South Carolina
14. Georgia
15. Iowa
16. NC St.
17. DePaul
18. South Florida
19. Marquette
20. Syracuse

Interesting that there are 4 SEC teams in a row and with Tennessee to come. Given that they are already probably over-ranked as a top 10 team, they might be listed as 10th, making it 5 SEC teams in a row. If this prediction is accurate, that will be quite a battle at the top with 5 teams equally matched. My money is on Miss. St. though.

So the most likely candidates for the top 10 are (in a rough order of ranking, as I don't want to think too hard right now):

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville
Oregon St.
Stanford
Maryland
Texas
Tennessee

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/27/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be pretty surprised if Tenn won the SEC. Not that they don't have enough talent, but just that they seem to underachieve year after year.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 10/27/18 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would be pretty surprised if Tenn won the SEC. Not that they don't have enough talent, but just that they seem to underachieve year after year.

Their preseason rankings have been way too high at least 8 of the last 10 years. Same for the SEC as a whole. But these publications are more interested in giving their readership something to look forward to than in astute analysis. The southeast is still a hotbed of women's basketball.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/28/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Interesting that there are 4 SEC teams in a row and with Tennessee to come. Given that they are already probably over-ranked as a top 10 team, they might be listed as 10th, making it 5 SEC teams in a row. If this prediction is accurate. . . .

What did they do, draw names from a hat? How many people who actually follow WCBB believe (1) Miss St belongs outside the top 10, and (2) Missouri, UGA and Iowa belong in the top 15?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/28/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Interesting that there are 4 SEC teams in a row and with Tennessee to come. Given that they are already probably over-ranked as a top 10 team, they might be listed as 10th, making it 5 SEC teams in a row. If this prediction is accurate. . . .

What did they do, draw names from a hat? How many people who actually follow WCBB believe (1) Miss St belongs outside the top 10, and (2) Missouri, UGA and Iowa belong in the top 15?

It's puzzling, for sure!

And on to the list:

10. Texas

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/28/18 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas could be a sleeper. I'd probably put them a little higher, but Atkins was clearly very, very important. The addition of Williams is interesting but she's not Atlkins. If either of the two highly rated posts contribute right away, that should make them a formidable post rotation. I find them quite interesting, along the lines of Oregon State, who I think will also surprise some people though obviously they're coming up here in the top nine.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/29/18 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Texas could be a sleeper. I'd probably put them a little higher, but Atkins was clearly very, very important. The addition of Williams is interesting but she's not Atlkins. If either of the two highly rated posts contribute right away, that should make them a formidable post rotation. I find them quite interesting, along the lines of Oregon State, who I think will also surprise some people though obviously they're coming up here in the top nine.

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by Texas in their exhibition today, except for Charli Collier, who was very impressive. I commented on it in the game discussion forum. You can see replays this week on the Longhorn Network. The box score is at https://texassports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12031&path=wbball

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/29/18 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

9. Oregon St.

Remaining teams for spots 1-8:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville
Stanford
Maryland
Tennessee

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by Texas in their exhibition today, except for Charli Collier, who was very impressive. I commented on it in the game discussion forum. You can see replays this week on the Longhorn Network. The box score is at https://texassports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12031&path=wbball

Texas always seems to have talent. They play harem scarem (not the music group), and always seem to be a bit bball 'dumb'...so I guess that's on the coach, or maybe the kind of athletes she recruits.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/30/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri seems to have a nice freshman in Akira Levy. Levy started in a recent exhibition and played much of the game alongside Missouri veterans Cunningham, Lauren Aldridge and Amber Smith. She tied with Troup for second on the team in minutes played and tallied 10 points, six assists, six rebounds and three steals. She then had reality check with 4 turnovers in the third quarter.... possibly trying to do too much?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jy5alEohzsg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/30/18 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Texas always seems to have talent. They play harem scarem (not the music group), and always seem to be a bit bball 'dumb'...so I guess that's on the coach, or maybe the kind of athletes she recruits.

A lot of those players were recruited by coaches who typically take smart disciplined players, so I place it 99% on the coach.

I think Aston has taken over from McCallie as the leader of the "gets the least from the most" gang. The starting 5 would probably include Aston, McCallie, Close, Warlick, and Gustafson.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think Aston has taken over from McCallie as the leader of the "gets the least from the most" gang. The starting 5 would probably include Aston, McCallie, Close, Warlick, and Gustafson.

??????

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/30/18 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8. Maryland

Remaining teams for spots 1-7:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville
Stanford
Tennessee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: