RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New WNBA president?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18699



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 8:47 am    ::: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:04 am    ::: Re: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?


Looks like she bailed as well. Another Prez bites the dust. Wait now the tweet cannot be found did she really remove it or was the leak to soon?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 3698
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:14 am    ::: Re: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?


Looks like she bailed as well. Another Prez bites the dust. Wait now the tweet cannot be found did she really remove it or was the leak to soon?


Here is the official WNBA PR:
https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-president-lisa-borders-steps-down-president-ceo-times-up/


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8980



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1254



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1467
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


Scarab



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 3262
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


I was about to say the same thing! Lisa Borders MOST DEFINITELY was a fan of the league and the players looooong before she became WNBA President. And was a big part of the effort to bring a team to Atlanta. And she is well beloved, and has been for years, by those of us who live in Atlanta.



_________________
Dream Founding Fan/STH
Be afraid. Be very afraid. One Team. One Dream baby!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51047



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Good job as head cheerleader. Basically an extension of Laurel Richie. She had a tough stretch starting with the Black Lives Matter movement and ending with some players not being happy with the pay and conditions.

What are her landmarks?
The new playoff system, anti-tanking measures, and the doubling of ESPN payout to WNBA were initiated under Richie’s realm.
Twitter broadcasting.... but some people give Jewell Loyd the credit for the idea, but I guess Borders gets credit for implementing.
Overly compacted season.... probably should have found some other solution. Disappointed she didn’t implement games on sacred Monday. She could have been a hero.
There’s the switch from Adidas to Nike, but sure how huge that was or how much credit she gets.
Changing the draft format and getting it out of CT. Nice idea, not great execution, although the last draft wasn’t terrible. Second and third round coverage was worst than ever.

What else did she do?

She probably saw that she was headed down a difficult if not impossible road with the players possibly voting out the current CBA, and got out while the getting was good with this new venture. Hard to blame her, I guess. I’ll take resignation as a blessing in disguise.

The first name that pops into my head as a replacement: Tamika Catchings. She said she wanted to be a front office person instead of a coach. Now she can be the ultimate front office person. Not sure if she meets any stringent educational or business experience requirements for the job, but it’d be nice to have an ex-player in the position who most people seem to respect.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 2086
Location: ATL


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


I was about to say the same thing! Lisa Borders MOST DEFINITELY was a fan of the league and the players looooong before she became WNBA President. And was a big part of the effort to bring a team to Atlanta. And she is well beloved, and has been for years, by those of us who live in Atlanta.


Yep. ALWAYS in the stands (well court seats) for Dream before her tenure...totally engaged... and I'm sure a big part of the Grady sponsorship given her prior position is with them.

Must have never seen her interact with players (from all teams) on court before the games...nothing fake about her 1:1 interaction or the reaction from the players. That said I didn't love the overly up for the cameras persona that came out sometimes...because it didn't show how genuine she was/is.



_________________
"Never put an age limit on your dreams" - Dara Torres 2008
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Good job as head cheerleader. Basically an extension of Laurel Richie. She had a tough stretch starting with the Black Lives Matter movement and ending with some players not being happy with the pay and conditions.

What are her landmarks?
The new playoff system, anti-tanking measures, and the doubling of ESPN payout to WNBA were initiated under Richie’s realm.
Twitter broadcasting.... but some people give Jewell Loyd the credit for the idea, but I guess Borders gets credit for implementing.
Overly compacted season.... probably should have found some other solution. Disappointed she didn’t implement games on sacred Monday. She could have been a hero.
There’s the switch from Adidas to Nike, but sure how huge that was or how much credit she gets.
Changing the draft format and getting it out of CT. Nice idea, not great execution, although the last draft wasn’t terrible. Second and third round coverage was worst than ever.

What else did she do?

She probably saw that she was headed down a difficult if not impossible road with the players possibly voting out the current CBA, and got out while the getting was good with this new venture. Hard to blame her, I guess. I’ll take resignation as a blessing in disguise.

The first name that pops into my head as a replacement: Tamika Catchings. She said she wanted to be a front office person instead of a coach. Now she can be the ultimate front office person. Not sure if she meets any stringent educational or business experience requirements for the job, but it’d be nice to have an ex-player in the position who most people seem to respect.



This ______ X



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8316
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's ESPN's release
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24869946/wnba-president-lisa-borders-stepping-down

This part makes me nervous a bit , 3rd in 6 months ?
Quote:

WNBA president Lisa Borders stepped down as WNBA president Tuesday, the third executive to leave the league in six months.
Shocked



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8980



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades - Catching was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.

Like most situations you could take 2 opposing views of the Borders tenure. On the plus side - the twitter deal, new sponsors, the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one, the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season. Sale of the Stars to LV. Allegedly ratings were up. New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.

Then there is the arena is half empty side of things - attendance down for almost every team. Even the WNBA champs scrapped along with only a small attendance gain. Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater. NY and DC are important if only because they get a lot of coverage in the NY Times and Washington post. A game forfeited (was this the first time in WNBA history?). Player unrest. In all likelihood, in about 3 and half weeks the Players will opt out of the CBA to start a year long negotiation process. Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales. In fact, as noted already the numbers were down a lot in almost every city.

So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship? Idk. I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10393
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades - Catching was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.

Like most situations you could take 2 opposing views of the Borders tenure. On the plus side - the twitter deal, new sponsors, the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one, the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season. Sale of the Stars to LV. Allegedly ratings were up. New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.

Then there is the arena is half empty side of things - attendance down for almost every team. Even the WNBA champs scrapped along with only a small attendance gain. Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater. NY and DC are important if only because they get a lot of coverage in the NY Times and Washington post. A game forfeited (was this the first time in WNBA history?). Player unrest. In all likelihood, in about 3 and half weeks the Players will opt out of the CBA to start a year long negotiation process. Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales. In fact, as noted already the numbers were down a lot in almost every city.

So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship? Idk. I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw


Last edited by StevenHW on 10/02/18 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scarab



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 3262
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she just got an even better offer that continues to coincide with who she is around supporting women. Shonda Rhimes herself, lead the search that selected Borders as the first CEO for Time's Up:

Vanity Fair - EXCLUSIVE: Lisa Borders, Time’s Up’s First President and C.E.O., Knows This Isn’t Going to Be Easy



_________________
Dream Founding Fan/STH
Be afraid. Be very afraid. One Team. One Dream baby!
lethalweapon3



Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 137
Location: ATL ITP, GA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm being Atlanta-biased, I suppose, but might Sara Blakely be interested?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51047



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades - Catchings was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.


How come, because of her lack of business experience? One year of owning a tea shop doesn’t cut it?

Randy wrote:
new sponsors


What’s the list of new sponsors other than the somewhat lateral move from Adidas to Nike?

Randy wrote:
the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one,


Umm, this must be from the Atlanta fan perspective. Wasn’t so great for the Lynx fans. Ask SpaceJunkie what he thought of the season. He hasn’t reminded us in a while. It was the greatest All Star game in a while, but Borders gets little creds for that.

Randy wrote:
the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season.


She doesn’t get credit for the new playoff format, as stipulated above. I suppose she can take credit for sticking with it, if she has a choice. Sometimes, the WNBA acts as an experimental lab rat for the NBA, who is thinking about changing their playoff format.

Randy wrote:
Sale of the Stars to LV.


That was pretty easy and may have been in the works for a while. MGM is buying up teams. They want to be a sports mecca.

Randy wrote:
New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.


I’m not even sure what that is. Razz

Randy wrote:
Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater.


I blanked that one out. I didn’t like how she painted it as such a rosy situation for the Liberty and WNBA. I understand the Liberty owner wanting to get the team out of MSG, but didn’t like how they were delegated to the G league’s arena, although that arena is a dump for the G league level too. The Wolves G league arena is nice! There would be no complaints about the Lynx moving to a similar quality arena as their own G league. I think we have to come to the conclusion that Dolan is not a great sports team owner. He should have worked out a deal on a new construction site like the Mystics owner did. Leonsis is clearly the better businessman.

I’m not as down on the Mystics situation. At least they got a nice new arena and practice facility. I think Leonsis recognizes the future of sports is broadcasting over attendance. If the WNBA suddenly explodes in popularity, they can always make other arrangements to handle the new crowd sizes.

Randy wrote:
Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales.


So why do you say it garnered attention? I’d have to google it to find out what it is but I’m really not inspired to even do that.

Randy wrote:
So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship?


WNBA success? She got her new gig exactly how she got her last one.... through connections. She was on the Duke board of regents with Adam Silver. Now it turns out she’s friends with the person who started this new venture.

Borders exemplifies “It’s not what you know but who you know.”

Randy wrote:
I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


I think somebody should be able to do a lot better job if they have no constraints from the NBA.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2538



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if this has anything to do with players talking about going on strike?


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18699



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Borders knew after the 2019, the players were going to opt out of the CBA. They want to more and Borders runs the other way.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8980



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Shades - you know I don't have all day. I don't even know how to do multiple quotes. I just gave two possible narratives. I never said which one is right because I don't pretend to know. Looks like you are in the arena is half empty crowd. I'll address only your first and last points. Catchings was the former head of the WNBAPA so that might help in the negotiations to come, but she doesn't seem to have enough experience to do that job otherwise. I'd love to see her try and succeed.

As for your last point - it seems there always constraints from the NBA. Why would those constraints go away?

I will say you are pushing me more into the pessimist side - which is never difficult.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51047



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m hardly a pessimist. Who’s the one who had to coddle the ATL fan who didn’t think it was their year and was thinking about the tanking route?

I’m just saying I didn’t think Borders was all that. But maybe she had constraints. Hard to say. It’s probably not an easy job but, unlike the pessimist, I think somebody will eventually have success as the WNBA president.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9563



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the president can really do much ... the economic constraints are way out of her control, and the WNBA's level of fan interest has been pretty well established. I don't think there are any brilliant new strategies that can result in fundamental changes for the league ...

As the saying goes, it is what it is ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17570
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1467
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.



Cam for President!

#cam2018


snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 784



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

michelle obama


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8980



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
michelle obama


Maybe Sasha or Malia.... Laughing


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin