RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New WNBA president?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 8:47 am    ::: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7565
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:04 am    ::: Re: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?


Looks like she bailed as well. Another Prez bites the dust. Wait now the tweet cannot be found did she really remove it or was the leak to soon?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 3517
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:14 am    ::: Re: New WNBA president? Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1047108954327781377?s=19

Unless this is an error, or is Borders holding two jobs now?


Looks like she bailed as well. Another Prez bites the dust. Wait now the tweet cannot be found did she really remove it or was the leak to soon?


Here is the official WNBA PR:
https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-president-lisa-borders-steps-down-president-ceo-times-up/


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8608



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1153



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1327
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


Scarab



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 3262
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


I was about to say the same thing! Lisa Borders MOST DEFINITELY was a fan of the league and the players looooong before she became WNBA President. And was a big part of the effort to bring a team to Atlanta. And she is well beloved, and has been for years, by those of us who live in Atlanta.



_________________
Dream Founding Fan/STH
Be afraid. Be very afraid. One Team. One Dream baby!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49320



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Good job as head cheerleader. Basically an extension of Laurel Richie. She had a tough stretch starting with the Black Lives Matter movement and ending with some players not being happy with the pay and conditions.

What are her landmarks?
The new playoff system, anti-tanking measures, and the doubling of ESPN payout to WNBA were initiated under Richie’s realm.
Twitter broadcasting.... but some people give Jewell Loyd the credit for the idea, but I guess Borders gets credit for implementing.
Overly compacted season.... probably should have found some other solution. Disappointed she didn’t implement games on sacred Monday. She could have been a hero.
There’s the switch from Adidas to Nike, but sure how huge that was or how much credit she gets.
Changing the draft format and getting it out of CT. Nice idea, not great execution, although the last draft wasn’t terrible. Second and third round coverage was worst than ever.

What else did she do?

She probably saw that she was headed down a difficult if not impossible road with the players possibly voting out the current CBA, and got out while the getting was good with this new venture. Hard to blame her, I guess. I’ll take resignation as a blessing in disguise.

The first name that pops into my head as a replacement: Tamika Catchings. She said she wanted to be a front office person instead of a coach. Now she can be the ultimate front office person. Not sure if she meets any stringent educational or business experience requirements for the job, but it’d be nice to have an ex-player in the position who most people seem to respect.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 2066
Location: ATL


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I felt she never cared about the league or it’s players because she wasn’t a fan of the WNBA before she was president anyways. That said, she did a pretty decent job in her time with the league. Couldn’t stand her personality though. Fake and phoney.

The only person that I can think of that would be an outstanding President would be Amber Cox. In fact, she’d be the best WNBA President we’ve ever had no doubt in my mind.


I think you may want to do some research on this statement.


I was about to say the same thing! Lisa Borders MOST DEFINITELY was a fan of the league and the players looooong before she became WNBA President. And was a big part of the effort to bring a team to Atlanta. And she is well beloved, and has been for years, by those of us who live in Atlanta.


Yep. ALWAYS in the stands (well court seats) for Dream before her tenure...totally engaged... and I'm sure a big part of the Grady sponsorship given her prior position is with them.

Must have never seen her interact with players (from all teams) on court before the games...nothing fake about her 1:1 interaction or the reaction from the players. That said I didn't love the overly up for the cameras persona that came out sometimes...because it didn't show how genuine she was/is.



_________________
"Never put an age limit on your dreams" - Dara Torres 2008
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7565
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
I think she did a good job in her tenure. She doesn't seem to stay long anywhere. New prez?


Good job as head cheerleader. Basically an extension of Laurel Richie. She had a tough stretch starting with the Black Lives Matter movement and ending with some players not being happy with the pay and conditions.

What are her landmarks?
The new playoff system, anti-tanking measures, and the doubling of ESPN payout to WNBA were initiated under Richie’s realm.
Twitter broadcasting.... but some people give Jewell Loyd the credit for the idea, but I guess Borders gets credit for implementing.
Overly compacted season.... probably should have found some other solution. Disappointed she didn’t implement games on sacred Monday. She could have been a hero.
There’s the switch from Adidas to Nike, but sure how huge that was or how much credit she gets.
Changing the draft format and getting it out of CT. Nice idea, not great execution, although the last draft wasn’t terrible. Second and third round coverage was worst than ever.

What else did she do?

She probably saw that she was headed down a difficult if not impossible road with the players possibly voting out the current CBA, and got out while the getting was good with this new venture. Hard to blame her, I guess. I’ll take resignation as a blessing in disguise.

The first name that pops into my head as a replacement: Tamika Catchings. She said she wanted to be a front office person instead of a coach. Now she can be the ultimate front office person. Not sure if she meets any stringent educational or business experience requirements for the job, but it’d be nice to have an ex-player in the position who most people seem to respect.



This ______ X



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7565
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's ESPN's release
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24869946/wnba-president-lisa-borders-stepping-down

This part makes me nervous a bit , 3rd in 6 months ?
Quote:

WNBA president Lisa Borders stepped down as WNBA president Tuesday, the third executive to leave the league in six months.
Shocked



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8608



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades - Catching was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.

Like most situations you could take 2 opposing views of the Borders tenure. On the plus side - the twitter deal, new sponsors, the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one, the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season. Sale of the Stars to LV. Allegedly ratings were up. New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.

Then there is the arena is half empty side of things - attendance down for almost every team. Even the WNBA champs scrapped along with only a small attendance gain. Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater. NY and DC are important if only because they get a lot of coverage in the NY Times and Washington post. A game forfeited (was this the first time in WNBA history?). Player unrest. In all likelihood, in about 3 and half weeks the Players will opt out of the CBA to start a year long negotiation process. Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales. In fact, as noted already the numbers were down a lot in almost every city.

So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship? Idk. I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10294
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades - Catching was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.

Like most situations you could take 2 opposing views of the Borders tenure. On the plus side - the twitter deal, new sponsors, the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one, the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season. Sale of the Stars to LV. Allegedly ratings were up. New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.

Then there is the arena is half empty side of things - attendance down for almost every team. Even the WNBA champs scrapped along with only a small attendance gain. Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater. NY and DC are important if only because they get a lot of coverage in the NY Times and Washington post. A game forfeited (was this the first time in WNBA history?). Player unrest. In all likelihood, in about 3 and half weeks the Players will opt out of the CBA to start a year long negotiation process. Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales. In fact, as noted already the numbers were down a lot in almost every city.

So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship? Idk. I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw


Last edited by StevenHW on 10/02/18 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scarab



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 3262
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she just got an even better offer that continues to coincide with who she is around supporting women. Shonda Rhimes herself, lead the search that selected Borders as the first CEO for Time's Up:

Vanity Fair - EXCLUSIVE: Lisa Borders, Time’s Up’s First President and C.E.O., Knows This Isn’t Going to Be Easy



_________________
Dream Founding Fan/STH
Be afraid. Be very afraid. One Team. One Dream baby!
lethalweapon3



Joined: 17 May 2018
Posts: 114
Location: ATL ITP, GA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm being Atlanta-biased, I suppose, but might Sara Blakely be interested?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49320



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades - Catchings was the first name to come to my mind as well, but I doubt it would happen.


How come, because of her lack of business experience? One year of owning a tea shop doesn’t cut it?

Randy wrote:
new sponsors


What’s the list of new sponsors other than the somewhat lateral move from Adidas to Nike?

Randy wrote:
the product on the floor best ever, 2018 season was certainly great one,


Umm, this must be from the Atlanta fan perspective. Wasn’t so great for the Lynx fans. Ask SpaceJunkie what he thought of the season. He hasn’t reminded us in a while. It was the greatest All Star game in a while, but Borders gets little creds for that.

Randy wrote:
the new playoff format made the regular season meaningful up to the last day of the season.


She doesn’t get credit for the new playoff format, as stipulated above. I suppose she can take credit for sticking with it, if she has a choice. Sometimes, the WNBA acts as an experimental lab rat for the NBA, who is thinking about changing their playoff format.

Randy wrote:
Sale of the Stars to LV.


That was pretty easy and may have been in the works for a while. MGM is buying up teams. They want to be a sports mecca.

Randy wrote:
New ad campaign "Take a Seat/Stand" generated attention.


I’m not even sure what that is. Razz

Randy wrote:
Two critically important franchises moving to smaller arenas. The NY move in particular was a big blow to the WNBA's prestige - moving from the worlds best known venue to a minor league backwater.


I blanked that one out. I didn’t like how she painted it as such a rosy situation for the Liberty and WNBA. I understand the Liberty owner wanting to get the team out of MSG, but didn’t like how they were delegated to the G league’s arena, although that arena is a dump for the G league level too. The Wolves G league arena is nice! There would be no complaints about the Lynx moving to a similar quality arena as their own G league. I think we have to come to the conclusion that Dolan is not a great sports team owner. He should have worked out a deal on a new construction site like the Mystics owner did. Leonsis is clearly the better businessman.

I’m not as down on the Mystics situation. At least they got a nice new arena and practice facility. I think Leonsis recognizes the future of sports is broadcasting over attendance. If the WNBA suddenly explodes in popularity, they can always make other arrangements to handle the new crowd sizes.

Randy wrote:
Even though the Take a Seat Campaign got some attention there is no evidence it it actually resulted in increased ticket sales.


So why do you say it garnered attention? I’d have to google it to find out what it is but I’m really not inspired to even do that.

Randy wrote:
So - is Borders moving on to bigger and better things due to her WNBA success - or leaving a sinking ship?


WNBA success? She got her new gig exactly how she got her last one.... through connections. She was on the Duke board of regents with Adam Silver. Now it turns out she’s friends with the person who started this new venture.

Borders exemplifies “It’s not what you know but who you know.”

Randy wrote:
I'm inclined to give her a break because I don't think anyone else would have done any better. The WNBA President always seems destined to fail.


I think somebody should be able to do a lot better job if they have no constraints from the NBA.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2107



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if this has anything to do with players talking about going on strike?


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Borders knew after the 2019, the players were going to opt out of the CBA. They want to more and Borders runs the other way.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8608



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Shades - you know I don't have all day. I don't even know how to do multiple quotes. I just gave two possible narratives. I never said which one is right because I don't pretend to know. Looks like you are in the arena is half empty crowd. I'll address only your first and last points. Catchings was the former head of the WNBAPA so that might help in the negotiations to come, but she doesn't seem to have enough experience to do that job otherwise. I'd love to see her try and succeed.

As for your last point - it seems there always constraints from the NBA. Why would those constraints go away?

I will say you are pushing me more into the pessimist side - which is never difficult.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49320



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m hardly a pessimist. Who’s the one who had to coddle the ATL fan who didn’t think it was their year and was thinking about the tanking route?

I’m just saying I didn’t think Borders was all that. But maybe she had constraints. Hard to say. It’s probably not an easy job but, unlike the pessimist, I think somebody will eventually have success as the WNBA president.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9294



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the president can really do much ... the economic constraints are way out of her control, and the WNBA's level of fan interest has been pretty well established. I don't think there are any brilliant new strategies that can result in fundamental changes for the league ...

As the saying goes, it is what it is ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17159
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1327
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.



Cam for President!

#cam2018


snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 754
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

michelle obama


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8608



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
michelle obama


Maybe Sasha or Malia.... Laughing


Hawkeye



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 554
Location: Houston, TX


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next president needs to scrap the gimmicky playoff format. Go back to top 4 in each conference make the playoffs.

Make every series a best of seven.

Add more teams. Over the next 10 years, the league should grow to 18.

Extend the season. 34 games is just stupid short for a pro league. I get the international schedule...salary cap needs to increase.


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10294
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.


The WNBA's first president, Val Ackerman, has a law degree from UCLA, and later worked in a New York law firm before joining the NBA as a staff attorney. But I'm not sure if her successors has a law degree.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6808



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What does a law degree bring to the table for the head of a sports league? David Stern started as a lawyer employee for the NBA, so they do have lawyers employed that aren't the president.


MrCam



Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 164



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
To my knowledge, in all the major team sports leagues in the U.S., there has never been a commissioner/president of the league that was a former player. MLB never had a an ex-player for its commissioner. The same thing goes for the NBA, NHL, and the NFL.

I would be surprised if Tamika Catchings or any other former player was named the WNBA President.


The WNBA Commissioner should have significant executive experience with professional sports and should be an attorney.


-- Adam Silver has his BA (Duke) and JD (University of Chicago).
-- David Stern (former NBA Commissioner) has his BA and JD.
-- Rob Manfred (MLB Commissioner) has his BS from Cornell and his JD from Harvard.
-- Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner) has a BS in labor relations from Cornell and a JD from NYU.
-- While the MLS commissioner does not have a law degree, both the President/Deputy Commissioner (#2) and the Chief Administrative and Social Responsibility Officer (#4) do. That's #2 and #4 of MLS executives.
And #3 (President/ Managing Director of Business Ventures) is a Duke grad (BA), who has an MBA from George Washington.

Only Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner) does not have a law degree, among the four major professional sports.


And yet the GREATEST Commissioner EVER, did not have a law or business degree.


MrCam



Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 164



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
salary cap needs to increase.


And the money well come from where, exactly?


Admiral_Needa



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 9632
Location: Tiburon, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone from Cornell has my vote... Twisted Evil Razz







_________________
2002 WNBA Virtual GM Overall Winner
2006 WNBA Triple Threat Overall Winner
2007 NBA ESPN Fast Break Overall Winner
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57515
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The W needs a president with a sports background



_________________
Don't take no rhythm,
Don't take no style
Gotta thirst for killin',
Grab your vial
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20694
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The W needs a president with a sports background

They'll also want a woman, though (ideally a black woman). And then the person has to want the job. We're starting to get down to a pretty small pool of qualified candidates at that point.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
The W needs a president with a sports background

They'll also want a woman, though (ideally a black woman). And then the person has to want the job. We're starting to get down to a pretty small pool of qualified candidates at that point.



Anyone have SOnja Henning's number?



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3951
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have a lot to say here...indeed if you see me back on rebs
..expect a deep dive beyond what i can effeciently tweet.

A few comments about the past events

1 having 3 top officials leave within 6 months is not good any way you slice it...it is clear and has been clear for about a year the players dont trust the owners...will more than likely opt out and that this opt out will cause the w business model to change and change drastically....it is also seemingly clear that the nba owners have less interest in the league despite improvements. Whoever takes over will have to first navigate the biggest crossroads the league has hit since the end of the single entity era in 2003...the way things are structured for 2020 onward will have a huge impact...this is not hyperbole...it is this important...players want a way to get paid...w needs to find a fairer and yet cost effective way to pay them...there are many answers but no clear cut solution im afraid tho i dont trust the owners numbers one iota...its to their benefit to look as poor as possible going into this cba and there are already numbers being throwb out that fail the eye test.

2. Was Borders good or bad for the league. Good question. Time will tell. Certainly the new playoff format has been mostly good except for the second one and done round which is too punitive to teams with very good records but this is fixable and the jist of the format has helped with ratings and interest. Fanduel has been a boon to exposure and the tweet games have not been mentioned enough in increasing the leagues footprint

MGM was a great find i agree tho gate hasnt quite matched mgms spend yet but ill give it time...best independent owner since force 10 that i can think of.

Another thing Borders gets little credit for is setting up a new framework for the hiring and retention of officials...tho it will take time to bear fruit it was a huge step in the right direction.

However there was a lot of bad and ugly...the BLM fines was an avoidable embarassment that caused a lot of tension...she liked to shill...which can work in the right places but makes you look foolish ignorant and incompetent if done too long or for the wrong thing...her handling of WCC was sickening and knocked her down a few notches on many scales...also her replies to calls for more pay crossed into talking down and showed a lack of candor...for someone touted as a friend of the players...not a good look...the draft was a disaster in year 1...nike hq was better but still need it at LEAST open to home sth...cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Espn outlay gave them too much control to show fewer games each year...i don't put that in the win column honestly...when they perfer cornhole to the w...thats not a win

The political marketing is a push to me...yes it got exposure and maybe more women to show than men which apparently is an issue to silver so its an issue to the w...but how long will it last and marketing the w as a cause not a sport is a big slipperly slope...one that laurel richie correctly identified as an issue before she left

So Regans law of work evaluation: are you better off now than you were 4 years ago? Hard one...is interest up...yes...but there are a lot of issues that are massive that need to be addressed

Libs sale

Cba

Travel

Espn scaling back every year

Arena size (i agree with her 7-10 is right its just getting there with correct creature comforts to get the fans in)

Demographics (only cuz silver brings it up)

Thats a lot left to do and while time caused many...we cant let borders leave without noting these left behind

SO who to replace

Given the timing of the cba we need someone soon who knows the w and has ties to the players...no more outsiders...i dont care about demographics tho i perfer a woman 99% of the time.

I think it was a mistake not to approach former and current gms and owners last time and this time with the league as unstable as it was in 09...it would be a GRAVE mistake

For those yelling catchings...no in a cba year the league is gonna hire someone who was in charge of the union recently...nope not gonna happen...it just wont...too much at stake hell it may even be a conflict of interest depending how the leagues papers are written.

Bringing back someone like parry also likely wont happen so ill set that aside

As great it will be dont think your getting karen Bryant out of retirement although shed be perfect for the role

So an attainable short list in no order to me

KRISTEN BERNERT

AMBER COX

CHRIS SIENKO

KELLY KUSPAROF

PENNY TOLER (just to get a woc in but again former player in a cba year...good luck)

All wnba lifers or close to it all with success marketing and growing their clubs all up yo speed on the realities looming over the league

If you must go outside at least stick to sports like a kim ng or former w exec Amy Scheer who's running RBNY.

We need someone who lives eats and breathes the w and can lead in the w

I dont think you find that at coke or the girl scouts.



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odds are we won't hear anything about hiring a new President until the Spring. Why hire someone now when the NBA can hold off on paying someone until April?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9294



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with happycappie that the new CBA might be the single most important event for the future of the WNBA. And the players will opt out, no question ...

But that said, I'm not sure what the president, or anyone really, can do to solve the primary dilemma: There's not enough fan interest to generate enough income for the owners to break even and the players to get paid more.

Of course I don't believe the owners -- the books will be cooked as they always are in these negotiations. But the bottom line issue is that franchises have no value, and even the most optimistic booster would be hard-pressed to argue that a WNBA team could consistently make $1 million profit on ticket sales, sponsorships and media money. It seems much more likely, really, that breaking even is a good year, and losing money is more common than making money.

But let's say that every team makes $250,000 profit each year (which from my understanding is not at all realistic). So if you take all of that profit and give it to the players (none to coaches, staff or administrators), you raise the average salary about $25,000. Now that's a nice chunk, but I don't think that moves the needle in terms of players not going overseas.

If the non-players get any money, and the owners are allowed to keep some profit, the average boost in salary drops below $20,000, and again, that's nice, but is far from a fundamental change.

Now lower that $250,000 to $100,000 (which may still be high), and there's not a lot of impact for anyone.

And again, what can the president, or anyone, do about these numbers? The WNBA's economic situation is pretty clearly established, and a lot of people claim the ESPN deal is a loser for the network and won't be renewed at the same rate.

If the arenas were packed, and TV ratings were good enough that NBA-TV would run WNBA games instead of Bad Boys' reruns, then there would be a pot of money to split. But even though the owners are lying, that doesn't mean they're making enough money to pay players enough to keep them out of Europe ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
MrCam



Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 164



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

But that said, I'm not sure what the president, or anyone really, can do to solve the primary dilemma: There's not enough fan interest to generate enough income for the owners to break even and the players to get paid more.



1. Many posters KNOW by now that I think highly of A'ja Wilson as a
PLAYER. With that said, She uttered one of the STUPIDEST state-
ments to ever come out of the mouth of a basketball player when
she pondered why WNBA players do not make LeBron money. A'ja
is Dyslexic, however, that does not explain nor excuse the stupidity
of her statement. Therefore, I have to hang extreme business eco-
nomic IGNORANCE around her neck.

2. As "ClayK" states, the players have said: show me the money. The
owners respond with; we do not have the money. What the players
have failed to ponder or show, where is the "money" going to come
from?

3. The majority of you I am sure are quite familiar with the finances
of the WNBA. From my YEARS of reading at a soccer website the
WNBA's revenue streams are similar in nature but not scale to
MLS. MLS has a decent but nothing to brag about t.v. contract.
MLS also has a substantial Adidas clothing contract. The digital
revolution has caused cord cutting. For Gen-Xers & Millennials
their phone and their computers have become THEIR t.v.

4. Take the Seattle Sounders, they have exactly ONE MLS Title. Now
Seattle is the hipster capital of North America. Why have the WHITE
male & female HIPSTERS of Seattle failed to embrace the Seattle
Storm and give them anywhere near the same level of intensity &
support that they give to the Sounders? Is it because "SOCCER" &
and not basketball is the hipster sport of choice? The Storm now
have THREE WNBA Titles and the Sounders have exactly one MLS
Cup Title. Do Seattle's white male hipsters hate liberal Black & White
lesbian women? Do Seattle's white female hipsters hate Black & White
liberal lesbian women? The Sounders average 40,000 per game and
the The Storm average 8,000 per game.

The attendance disparity therefore places a PREMIUM on the game-
day experience & revenues. Ticket sales, parking, concessions, mer-
chandise & LOCAL t.v. deals. MLS & the WNBA both began operations
in 1996. Both leagues have failed to achieve Major League status. Can
anyone present a plausible scenario that can/will catapult the WNBA to
at least MLS revenue levels?

FYI - In my years of reading, more than a few MLS fans have verbally
POOPED on the WNBA. I do not have the data, but I am very confident
that the FAN demographics of MLS and the WNBA are very similar if not
EXACTLY the same. LIBERAL & WHITE. The only question is; which lea-
gue attracts more hipsters?


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7565
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
ClayK wrote:

But that said, I'm not sure what the president, or anyone really, can do to solve the primary dilemma: There's not enough fan interest to generate enough income for the owners to break even and the players to get paid more.



1. Many posters KNOW by now that I think highly of A'ja Wilson as a
PLAYER. With that said, She uttered one of the STUPIDEST state-
ments to ever come out of the mouth of a basketball player when
she pondered why WNBA players do not make LeBron money. A'ja
is Dyslexic, however, that does not explain nor excuse the stupidity
of her statement. Therefore, I have to hang extreme business eco-
nomic IGNORANCE around her neck.

2. As "ClayK" states, the players have said: show me the money. The
owners respond with; we do not have the money. What the players
have failed to ponder or show, where is the "money" going to come
from?

3. The majority of you I am sure are quite familiar with the finances
of the WNBA. From my YEARS of reading at a soccer website the
WNBA's revenue streams are similar in nature but not scale to
MLS. MLS has a decent but nothing to brag about t.v. contract.
MLS also has a substantial Adidas clothing contract. The digital
revolution has caused cord cutting. For Gen-Xers & Millennials
their phone and their computers have become THEIR t.v.

4. Take the Seattle Sounders, they have exactly ONE MLS Title. Now
Seattle is the hipster capital of North America. Why have the WHITE
male & female HIPSTERS of Seattle failed to embrace the Seattle
Storm and give them anywhere near the same level of intensity &
support that they give to the Sounders? Is it because "SOCCER" &
and not basketball is the hipster sport of choice? The Storm now
have THREE WNBA Titles and the Sounders have exactly one MLS
Cup Title. Do Seattle's white male hipsters hate liberal Black & White
lesbian women? Do Seattle's white female hipsters hate Black & White
liberal lesbian women? The Sounders average 40,000 per game and
the The Storm average 8,000 per game.

The attendance disparity therefore places a PREMIUM on the game-
day experience & revenues. Ticket sales, parking, concessions, mer-
chandise & LOCAL t.v. deals. MLS & the WNBA both began operations
in 1996. Both leagues have failed to achieve Major League status. Can
anyone present a plausible scenario that can/will catapult the WNBA to
at least MLS revenue levels?

FYI - In my years of reading, more than a few MLS fans have verbally
POOPED on the WNBA. I do not have the data, but I am very confident
that the FAN demographics of MLS and the WNBA are very similar if not
EXACTLY the same. LIBERAL & WHITE.
The only question is; which lea-
gue attracts more hipsters?


You should come to a Dallas wings game next summer.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2107



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing YEP YEP


rykhala



Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 271
Location: Saint Louis, MO


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is that "mute" button?


mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4675
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prior to the last WNBA Presidential hire, I advocated for the hire of Jay Parry or Amber Cox, and will renew the call. Michelle Obama, what've you got going these days?


Now, I will toss up to names and advocate for the second:

Dawn Hudson
Pamela El.



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 24
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 is correct, that may be the case in most WNBA markets, but it is certainly NOT the case here in Dallas/Ft. Worth!!! In fact, the only team in this market that would fit that stigma would be the Stars of the NHL, that's about it.


wbj



Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 8



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those of us on the inside knew what a disaster she would be from day one, all while taking public credit for anything positive and blaming others for anything negative....sadly this has been her story for decades....and she has a knack for jumping to the next opportunity after 2-3 years to avoid accountability....only took the NBA senior staff about six months or less to figure out there was nothing behind the image.....let’s hope they hire Jay or Amber or Kristen or Sienko.....


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6808



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lack of growth in league "success" could be why both Richie and Borders are no longer WNBA president, as much as any alleged personal shortcomings. Silver said something a few years ago when Richie was the president that went something like "we're not where we thought we would be at this point". And since then 2017 was a new ESPN ratings low for viewership (can't find anything for 2018 besides the ESPN ratings starting out strong compared to record low 2017) and announced attendance is not increasing. That is partly driven by smaller arenas, but even if you exclude the Liberty, announced attendance was down 6% in 2018. Although sponsorship money and ESPN money has probably risen.

Or, if it was Borders choice to get out - it's easy to see why. The players are on twitter and giving interviews talking about how they should be making more money while the league is not growing in popularity and no one wants to buy a team in the largest market in the country that the owner wants to get rid of.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23110



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we need a hard drinking privileged white frat boy from Yale.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3376



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well here we go again with needing another new president. Everyone talks about viewership being low. Thanks to ESPN tv viewership is low because not many games are being shown on tv. If more games were shown viewership would be higher. League Pass is another option but not everyone can afford that. Not to mention that this year it was more expensive than last year. The league could make more money if there were more than 12 teams in 52 states. I am an avid fan but no longer have a team in my city(Cleveland, Ohio). I am a senior and can not afford to hop all around the states to see a game even tho I'd love to.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6808



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/18 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The W needs a president with a sports background


Anne Meyers-Drysdale
Nancy Lieberman
Cynthia Cooper-Dyke
Fred Williams
Carol Ross
Sue Wicks
Kym Hampton
Taj McWilliams-Franklin
Jennifer Gillom


bcdawg04



Joined: 12 Apr 2016
Posts: 316
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/18 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rykhala wrote:
Where is that "mute" button?


Yes, please. He's begging for a response with every post and showing off his ignorance.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8608



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/18 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“The WNBA has lost a significant amount of money in each of its prior 21 years of existence,” a WNBA spokesperson told SB Nation. A person familiar with the situation elaborated, expecting the league to lose $12 million in the 2018 season alone.


https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/10/3/17928876/wnba-president-search-lisa-borders-leaving


If true - this means the WNBA would only break even if they paid the players nothing. Of course, some teams probably make money while others lose it and the veracity of the number is unknown. Still with franchises having little or no value, teams moving to smaller arenas, and in the case of the Dream - the home for next season is still up in he air, there are a lot of concerns the new prez will have to deal with. It may be that Borders felt her seat getting warm and decided to move on.

I think the league needs more than anything a promoter who can figure out how to get more fans in the stands (if that is even possible.)


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin