RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND band recreates Ogunbowale shot at halftime show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/30/18 1:53 am    ::: ND band recreates Ogunbowale shot at halftime show Reply Reply with quote

I've got to say, as a ND Band Alumnus, I was really impressed with this. On the video, it starts around the 7:00 mark.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/30/watch-notre-dame-band-recreates-winning-shot-from-womens-basketball-national-title-game/

And yes, it's a bit ironic that they did it for the ND-Stanford Football game, given ND's two previous NCAA Tournament losses.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/30/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty nice. As an alum of one school with an amazing marching band (University of Wisconsin) and a fan of two others with also amazing marching bands, Tennessee's Pride of the Southland and JMU's Marching Royal Dukes, I'd say they are up there. Wink I gave up band in high school because my high school required you to be in marching band if you wanted to be in symphonic band, and I can't walk and chew gum, let alone march and play music.

I do have one question though....what's the point of those kilted persons, since they don't do anything BUT march? No flags, no batons, no nothing. That seems kind of dumb.

PostPosted: 09/30/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clever and clinquant. That stadium and marching band must be great recruiting tools. Paige and Azzi, hide your eyes!
CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/30/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I do have one question though....what's the point of those kilted persons, since they don't do anything BUT march? No flags, no batons, no nothing. That seems kind of dumb.

They act as security clearing the way for the band.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/01/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Rolling Eyes

It's not a "beat the crap out of people" role. It's more of a clearing it out in front of the band. They're rather large, so their size pretty much on its own gets people out of the way. When they were first formed in 1949, they actually played bagpipes, but they dropped that after a few years.

They used to have a height requirement (6'2") but the current band director decided to trash tradition and dropped the height requirement and instead of having open tryouts decided to make it so that band members who have been in the band at least a year. A lot of band alumni (and particularly Irish Guard alumni) are not pleased with the changes.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/01/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Rolling Eyes

It's not a "beat the crap out of people" role. It's more of a clearing it out in front of the band. They're rather large, so their size pretty much on its own gets people out of the way. When they were first formed in 1949, they actually played bagpipes, but they dropped that after a few years.

They used to have a height requirement (6'2") but the current band director decided to trash tradition and dropped the height requirement and instead of having open tryouts decided to make it so that band members who have been in the band at least a year. A lot of band alumni (and particularly Irish Guard alumni) are not pleased with the changes.

I've not heard of any other band that "needs" that.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: The Kilt People, it certainly seems plausible that they're just there for The Decoration of it all. I also noticed at least one female amongst their ranks--very egalitarian to allow a bit o' drag there. Wink Overall, quite impressive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: