RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Basketball needs to RETIRE Bird & Taurasi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/29/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem now is that the future replacements (Diggins, Gray) at guard didnt bother to show up for this tournament. With Whalen retiring they knew that was a PG spot up for grabs for years to come and they turned it down. Havent heard anything about injuries so what was their excuse?
The compressed schedule? That is bullshit because the oldest player in the league is playing and with a facking broken nose. That is loyalty.

So if in 2 years Bird is still playing similar to these last few years or close to it then yes she should be on the team. Same for Taurasi

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
... That is bullshit because the oldest player in the league is playing and with a facking broken nose. That is loyalty...

Is the oldest player in the league heading overseas next week, or nah?

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how Candace Parker was "disloyal" to USAB?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/29/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
... That is bullshit because the oldest player in the league is playing and with a facking broken nose. That is loyalty...

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how Candace Parker was "disloyal" to USAB?

Is Diggins Laughing Sue played overseas for probably 10 straight years when she was young and still playing in the wnba and for the USA. How many years has Gray?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

This is what disloyalty looks like >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOFIajQEIA

As for Candace, most people point at the Grand JERK of UCONN.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/29/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

#1 pick in WNBA draft you have a very good shot (Wilson, Plum, Stewart, Loyd, Moore, Griner, Charles, Parker, Augustus, DT, Bird, McCoughtry, N. Ogwumike).

#2 pick maybe but only if the #1 pick is a generational player or really only when there are two legit #1 picks Fowles, EDD and Pondexter are #2 picks but would be #1 many other draft than the one they were in.

#3 pick or higher very doubtful except in off years mostly in the Worlds or when the coach is accused of massive favoritism (Lawson, Tuck, A. Jones, Cash, Clarendon, Sims, Dupree) or you are the 2nd best PG of the last 15 years Whalen or you should have been a #1 pick but were very injured Catchings.

Once again, points to the need for No. 1 picks to be distributed across this league. They are head and shoulders above other players.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Is Diggins

Eh, I guess.

Quote:
Sue played overseas for probably 10 straight years when she was young and still playing in the wnba and for the USA. How many years has Gray?

This is moving the goalposts, though. She can't have played for ten straight years if she hasn't been in the league for ten straight years. And your mileage obviously varies, but implying that Gray isn't old enough to not have to play through injuries is some bullshit, IMO.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If C. Gray missed due to injury than she is definitely still in the running for 2020 and beyond.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know whether she is or not. I'm just saying, with her still being at the point of her career where she has to go overseas to make any real money, if she was even a little banged up at the end of the WNBA season, she should have taken the WC off, rather than try to play, and risk her bread.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/29/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't know whether she is or not. I'm just saying, with her still being at the point of her career where she has to go overseas to make any real money, if she was even a little banged up at the end of the WNBA season, she should have taken the WC off, rather than try to play, and risk her bread.

But I think the point is, Bird and Taurasi did it. That’s why they get the loyalty.

And if it was important to Diggins and Gray, they would do it too.

Now, it’s totally fine that it isn’t that important to them. I can think of some very good reasons to not want to play with USA across the chest, honestly. But fans should stop bitching about Bird and Taurasi’s “guaranteed” spots..they’re still amongst the best players at their position - and they have always made USA basketball a priority.

Candace is another matter all together. But at the end of they day, who did people want to take off the team for her? Catch? Stewie? Angel? All of them deserved to be there just as much. The problem was USA is deep at the 3/4.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

But I think the point is, Bird and Taurasi did it. That’s why they get the loyalty...

... Candace is another matter all together. But at the end of they day, who did people want to take off the team for her? Catch? Stewie? Angel? All of them deserved to be there just as much. The problem was USA is deep at the 3/4.

I have maintained, and continue to maintain, that "deserve" don't have shit to do with shit. What I'm not here for is to hear this lip service about "loyalty," and then come back around on some, "But who would you leave off the team, though? X, Y and Z deserve their spot, too!" Fuck deserve. Either loyalty counts, or it don't. Don't make exceptions. Taurasi and the Compiler ain't never getting left off the team because there are other "deserving" players. Maya Moore ain't at World's: if she wants to play in Tokyo, ain't nobody going to say boo about other "deserving" players. Or even "loyalty," for that matter. So miss me with all that.

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because, if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in, first one out. Problem solved.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

But I think the point is, Bird and Taurasi did it. That’s why they get the loyalty...

... Candace is another matter all together. But at the end of they day, who did people want to take off the team for her? Catch? Stewie? Angel? All of them deserved to be there just as much. The problem was USA is deep at the 3/4.

I have maintained, and continue to maintain, that "deserve" don't have shit to do with shit. What I'm not here for is to hear this lip service about "loyalty," and then come back around on some, "But who would you leave off the team, though? X, Y and Z deserve their spot, too!" Fuck deserve. Either loyalty counts, or it don't. Don't make exceptions. Taurasi and the Compiler ain't never getting left off the team because there are other "deserving" players. Maya Moore ain't at World's: if she wants to play in Tokyo, ain't nobody going to say boo about other "deserving" players. Or even "loyalty," for that matter. So miss me with all that.

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because, if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in, first one out. Problem solved.

"Silky Johnson" stated:

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because,
if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the
team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in,
first one out. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------

Lets take it a step further. Who do you leave off the team to bring her

[Candace Parker] back?" Simple, USAB should have left Morgan Tuck

& Nneka Ogwumike @ home and taken Candace Parker & Elizabeth

Williams in their place. And I defy ANYONE to show me how that is not

a significant upgrade. Morgan Tuck has been a WASTE of a roster spot.

Nneka Ogwumike has played way BELOW her capabilities.

Elizabeth Williams could be used as a sacrificial lamb to defend and

BEAT up on Liz. Candace, you just turn her loose.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/29/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disregarding team chemistry, leadership and all that intangible stuff, I think Bird and Taurasi should be on the USA team simply based on the way I saw them play in the 2018 WNBA season.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/30/18 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Not necessary.

I was trying to be cordial Shocked

I know, and respect the sentiment. But welcomes to the board need only be extended to . . . authentic . . . newcomers.
canadaball

PostPosted: 09/30/18 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Hungarian, huh? Must have gotten sick of waiting for the Compiler to retire.

The term "compiler" is used in sports (mainly baseball) to describe a decent, not great player, someone who lasts a long time. The player was never considered at the top of peers, but those many years allowed an accumulation of stats. This kind of player never has won a championship, and usually lacks dramatic performances in big time situations. In the NBA, Tracy McGrady, and Vince Carter come to mind. There is a continuing debate whether "compilers" deserve the Hall of Fame. You have me scratching my head applying the term to the ancient Bird. This first chance Hall of Famer sure has the years, but the titles won, and big plays ("die bitches") ruin that description. One has to go to
the NBA to find any performances equal to those last few minutes in game 5 vs Phx. I cannot think of any similar performance, in such a big spot, in the history of the WNBA.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/30/18 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

With Maya its more difficult because she is playing the sf position and usa now doesnt really have a real sf on this team because she chose to stay home and Angel is hurt.
If in 2020 the choice is between Stewart, EDD and Maya and they all played the same position then i think they go with Stewart and EDD

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/30/18 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Angel, Catch, and Stewie were all loyal too.

Personally, I think Candace was left off the team FOR loyalty reasons. If we are honest here, it should have been Catch, talent wise, that was left off. USA basketball wasn’t going to do that to her.

Maya is playing a dangerous game, IMO. SF is typically a stacked position, and USA is gonna want to take some guards to the Olympics.

PostPosted: 09/30/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Personally, I think Candace was left off the team FOR loyalty reasons. If we are honest here, it should have been Catch, talent wise, that was left off. USA basketball wasn’t going to do that to her.

Meh.

Catchings, even off her peak, was the best defender in the pool.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Hungarian, huh? Must have gotten sick of waiting for the Compiler to retire.

The term "compiler" is used in sports (mainly baseball) to describe a decent, not great player, someone who lasts a long time. The player was never considered at the top of peers, but those many years allowed an accumulation of stats. This kind of player never has won a championship, and usually lacks dramatic performances in big time situations. In the NBA, Tracy McGrady, and Vince Carter come to mind. There is a continuing debate whether "compilers" deserve the Hall of Fame. You have me scratching my head applying the term to the ancient Bird. This first chance Hall of Famer sure has the years, but the titles won, and big plays ("die bitches") ruin that description. One has to go to
the NBA to find any performances equal to those last few minutes in game 5 vs Phx. I cannot think of any similar performance, in such a big spot, in the history of the WNBA.

I said what I said. She's a compiler, and ain't nobody gonna tell me otherwise. #HateHard #MFFL

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Angel, Catch, and Stewie were all loyal too.

So? Who was there first? Last one in, first one out. If loyalty matters, that is.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/30/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel, from the outside with no inside knowledge, that Parker, among many others, was mistreated by USA Basketball.

But given the depth of talent available, USA Basketball can pretty much act with impunity, as the only way the team can lose is with very inferior coaching. Parker, Becky Hammon, Courtney Vandersloot and many others could have been on the national team -- but at the same time, those who have been on those teams have gotten the job done.

So in a result-oriented world, USA Basketball is doing an excellent job in player selection by looking at the number of gold medals. Conceivably they could have done better, but it's hard to argue with the outcomes.

PostPosted: 09/30/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You look at this roster and think who'll be out if everyone makes themselves available. Easily we'd have Diggins over Clarendon, Moore over Loyd, Fowles over Tuck, Gray over Plum.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/30/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I feel, from the outside with no inside knowledge, that Parker, among many others, was mistreated by USA Basketball.

Not to keep beating a dead horse but x_______

USA basketball is notorious for playing politics when it comes to selecting players. Tweety Nolan and Katie Douglas were two of the best guards for years and never received a serious look at USA basketball despite playing great on both sides of the ball. Becky Hammon and Courtney Vandersloot saw the writing on the wall and I suspect Diggins, Gray, Thomas etc saw the same thing.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/30/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not to keep beating a dead horse but x_______

USA basketball is notorious for playing politics when it comes to selecting players. Tweety Nolan and Katie Douglas were two of the best guards for years and never received a serious look at USA basketball despite playing great on both sides of the ball. Becky Hammon and Courtney Vandersloot saw the writing on the wall and I suspect Diggins, Gray, Thomas etc saw the same thing.

How is this mistreatment of women possible???

I am sure that the VAST majority of Team USA Basketball

players are LIBERALS [Men & Women]. USAB is a BASTION

of Liberalism. And Liberals NEVER mistreat women, ever!

Liberals are ALWAYS fair. They NEVER play favorites. Why,

liberals are perfection itself, or so they keep telling us.

You see, this is the problem. Team USA Basketball should

not be a Fraternity or a Sorority.

A'ja Wilson did not play well for two games. That's on her.

Coach Staley cannot be accused of playing favorites. Al-

though I would like to know why Dawn Staley did not play

A'ja more than she did.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/30/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

"Silky Johnson" stated:

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because,
if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the
team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in,
first one out. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------

Lets take it a step further. Who do you leave off the team to bring her

[Candace Parker] back?" Simple, USAB should have left Morgan Tuck

& Nneka Ogwumike @ home and taken Candace Parker & Elizabeth

Williams in their place. And I defy ANYONE to show me how that is not

a significant upgrade. Morgan Tuck has been a WASTE of a roster spot.

Nneka Ogwumike has played way BELOW her capabilities.

Elizabeth Williams could be used as a sacrificial lamb to defend and

BEAT up on Liz. Candace, you just turn her loose.

Mr Cam, you are aware that Candance was asked to play on this team but she declined. She said she was done with USA Basketball. Seems like some folks are more upset about her not being on the team than she is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: