Silky Johnson wrote:

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/30/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
MrCam wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't know whether she is or not. I'm just saying, with her still being at the point of her career where she has to go overseas to make any real money, if she was even a little banged up at the end of the WNBA season, she should have taken the WC off, rather than try to play, and risk her bread.

But I think the point is, Bird and Taurasi did it. That’s why they get the loyalty...

... Candace is another matter all together. But at the end of they day, who did people want to take off the team for her? Catch? Stewie? Angel? All of them deserved to be there just as much. The problem was USA is deep at the 3/4.

I have maintained, and continue to maintain, that "deserve" don't have shit to do with shit. What I'm not here for is to hear this lip service about "loyalty," and then come back around on some, "But who would you leave off the team, though? X, Y and Z deserve their spot, too!" Fuck deserve. Either loyalty counts, or it don't. Don't make exceptions. Taurasi and the Compiler ain't never getting left off the team because there are other "deserving" players. Maya Moore ain't at World's: if she wants to play in Tokyo, ain't nobody going to say boo about other "deserving" players. Or even "loyalty," for that matter. So miss me with all that.

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because, if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in, first one out. Problem solved.

"Silky Johnson" stated:

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because,
if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the
team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in,
first one out. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------

Lets take it a step further. Who do you leave off the team to bring her

[Candace Parker] back?" Simple, USAB should have left Morgan Tuck

& Nneka Ogwumike @ home and taken Candace Parker & Elizabeth

Williams in their place. And I defy ANYONE to show me how that is not

a significant upgrade. Morgan Tuck has been a WASTE of a roster spot.

Nneka Ogwumike has played way BELOW her capabilities.

Elizabeth Williams could be used as a sacrificial lamb to defend and

BEAT up on Liz. Candace, you just turn her loose.

Mr Cam, you are aware that Candance was asked to play on this team but she declined. She said she was done with USA Basketball. Seems like some folks are more upset about her not being on the team than she is.

Candace was not asked to play on the team, she was invited to try out, big difference. After the way she was treated in 2016 I don't blame her one bit for declining. I don't think anyone is upset about her not being on THIS team.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/30/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forget Parker. Y'all know who was by far the most overlooked by Team USA? Samantha Prahalis!

PostPosted: 09/30/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Forget Parker. Y'all know who was by far the most overlooked by Team USA? Samantha Prahalis!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Is this like Candyman where you say this three times and he appears? Laughing

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/30/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about I reword this thread a little?

Team USA needs to get serious about getting the next generation backcourt in and learning from two great guards in Bird and Taurasi.

I think loyalty has been great over the past several tournaments and there have been great experienced guards. But this should be an ever evolving roster so the team isn't going to experience a wholesale "changing of the guard" (forgive the pun). I think they have done a very good job in the frontcourt, but the backcourt hasn't had that same influx. We saw in this tournament how important it is to have a strong bench in the backcourt.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 09/30/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Hungarian, huh? Must have gotten sick of waiting for the Compiler to retire.

the Compiler Laughing
Can you tell how she got this name?

boogiezen

PostPosted: 09/30/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Is the oldest player in the league heading overseas next week, or nah?

Is Diggins

Eh, I guess.

Quote:
Sue played overseas for probably 10 straight years when she was young and still playing in the wnba and for the USA. How many years has Gray?

This is moving the goalposts, though. She can't have played for ten straight years if she hasn't been in the league for ten straight years. And your mileage obviously varies, but implying that Gray isn't old enough to not have to play through injuries is some bullshit, IMO.

I guess this is not about Bird or Taurasi at all, you're bitching because of Parker. LOL. Huhuhu. I'm crying. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

Team USA needs to get serious about getting the next generation backcourt in and learning from two great guards in Bird and Taurasi.

I think loyalty has been great over the past several tournaments and there have been great experienced guards. But this should be an ever evolving roster so the team isn't going to experience a wholesale "changing of the guard" (forgive the pun). I think they have done a very good job in the frontcourt, but the backcourt hasn't had that same influx. We saw in this tournament how important it is to have a strong bench in the backcourt.

That should have been what this tournament and the Olympics are..elite guards should have jumped at the chance to learn from these two.

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead Plum and Clarendon jumped at the chance. They clearly made the most of the opportunity.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
MrCam wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't know whether she is or not. I'm just saying, with her still being at the point of her career where she has to go overseas to make any real money, if she was even a little banged up at the end of the WNBA season, she should have taken the WC off, rather than try to play, and risk her bread.

But I think the point is, Bird and Taurasi did it. That’s why they get the loyalty...

... Candace is another matter all together. But at the end of they day, who did people want to take off the team for her? Catch? Stewie? Angel? All of them deserved to be there just as much. The problem was USA is deep at the 3/4.

I have maintained, and continue to maintain, that "deserve" don't have shit to do with shit. What I'm not here for is to hear this lip service about "loyalty," and then come back around on some, "But who would you leave off the team, though? X, Y and Z deserve their spot, too!" Fuck deserve. Either loyalty counts, or it don't. Don't make exceptions. Taurasi and the Compiler ain't never getting left off the team because there are other "deserving" players. Maya Moore ain't at World's: if she wants to play in Tokyo, ain't nobody going to say boo about other "deserving" players. Or even "loyalty," for that matter. So miss me with all that.

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because, if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in, first one out. Problem solved.

"Silky Johnson" stated:

Can you demonstrate how Parker was "disloyal" to USAB? Because,
if "loyalty" counts, then the answer to the "Who do you leave off the
team to bring her back?" question is ridiculously simple: last one in,
first one out. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------

Lets take it a step further. Who do you leave off the team to bring her

[Candace Parker] back?" Simple, USAB should have left Morgan Tuck

& Nneka Ogwumike @ home and taken Candace Parker & Elizabeth

Williams in their place. And I defy ANYONE to show me how that is not

a significant upgrade. Morgan Tuck has been a WASTE of a roster spot.

Nneka Ogwumike has played way BELOW her capabilities.

Elizabeth Williams could be used as a sacrificial lamb to defend and

BEAT up on Liz. Candace, you just turn her loose.

Mr Cam, you are aware that Candance was asked to play on this team but she declined. She said she was done with USA Basketball. Seems like some folks are more upset about her not being on the team than she is.

Do you know WHY she declined???

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/30/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

Team USA needs to get serious about getting the next generation
backcourt in and learning from two great guards in Bird and Taurasi.

I think loyalty has been great over the past several tournaments and
there have been great experienced guards. But this should be an ever evolving roster so the team isn't going to experience a wholesale
"changing of the guard" (forgive the pun). I think they have done a
very good job in the frontcourt, but the backcourt hasn't had that same influx. We saw in this tournament how important it is to have a strong
bench in the backcourt.

I REFUSE to believe that the USA basketball system, the best BASKET-

BALL DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM on the planet. Cannot at a MINIMUM, pro-

duce two solid backup GUARDS for Team USA.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/18 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:

I guess this is not about Bird or Taurasi at all, you're bitching because of Parker.

You've clearly decided not to believe me, but I'm really not. Parker just happens to be the one example which refutes this whole notion of "Gray/Diggins/et. al aren't on the team because they weren't loyal enough" for whom no one can provide an effective counter-rebuttal. Parker turned down an opportunity to "try out" for Tenerife (as well she should have, IMO) because she was still offended over getting taken off the team in Rio, after everything that she's given to USAB.

I don't Stan for Parker like that, but the simple fact is, if you can't come up with a justifiable reason why Parker was left off the team in Rio, then you can't hide behind "loyalty" as the reason why other good players are being similarly snubbed/passed over, which is what other Rebkellians have been doing.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
MrCam

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

I guess this is not about Bird or Taurasi at all, you're bitching because of Parker.

You've clearly decided not to believe me, but I'm really not. Parker just happens to be the one example which refutes this whole notion of "Gray/Diggins/et. al aren't on the team because they weren't loyal enough" for whom no one can provide an effective counter-rebuttal. Parker turned down an opportunity to "try out" for Tenerife (as well she should have, IMO) because she was still offended over getting taken off the team in Rio, after everything that she's given to USAB.

I don't Stan for Parker like that, but the simple fact is, if you can't come up with a justifiable reason why Parker was left off the team in Rio, then you can't hide behind "loyalty" as the reason why other good players are being similarly snubbed/passed over, which is what other Rebkellians have been doing.

And to make Silky Johnson's point even more emphatic, in the
2012 Olympic Gold Medal Final, Candace Parker went into BEAST
mode, took over the game, and beat France by herself. It was the
single most dominant game by a woman on a ladies USA Basket-
ball Team.

And if ANYONE can show me a better game by a lady Team USA
player, show me the evidence.

And here is the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOFIajQEIA

And here are the stats for the game:

http://www.fiba.basketball/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/49633/sid/6233/tid/379/_/2012_Olympic_Women/index.html

Last edited by MrCam on 10/01/18 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suddenly feel like I need to re-think my entire platform.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I don't think Washington would have gotten past Atlanta if they had McCoughtry.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any doubt that If Diggins and Gray would have made themself available they would have been on this team? But they didn't and as such should (unless they were injured) not be on the Olympic team for 2020! DT and Bird if they continue to play in the next 2 seasons as they did this last season, should and will be!

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And I don't think Washington would have gotten past Atlanta if they had McCoughtry.

Yep, they stumbled into the Finals and got swept, eerily similar to when Delle Donne went to the Finals in 2014.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:
Is there any doubt that If Diggins and Gray would have made themself available they would have been on this team? But they didn't and as such should (unless they were injured) not be on the Olympic team for 2020! DT and Bird if they continue to play in the next 2 seasons as they did this last season, should and will be!

The thing is, if they were hurt, shouldn't they and their agents have been shouting that from the rooftops? I'd be posting pictures from the operating room on instagram, or rehab session clips on facebook, or whatever. Instead, the silence has been deafening.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any reason to think that in 2020 any of the competitors will be any better than they were in WC 2018? Questionable as this Team USA was (or wasn't) - why wouldn't they still be favorites to win? (Assuming Bird and Taurasi don't go the way of Whalen.)

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They’ll be the overwhelming favorites to win in 2020. 2018 had a lot of B-team members.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They’ll be the overwhelming favorites to win in 2020. 2018 had a lot of B-team members.

Right - but what I'm asking is why can't the same players (even the B-teamsters) win again?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

Right - but what I'm asking is why can't the same players (even the B-teamsters) win again?

Are you suggesting Maya, Fowles, McCoughtry, and whatever guards needn’t try out for the 2020? That’s up to them.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
ball Team.

Lisa Leslie, 1996 quarterfinals against Japan. She accounted for 35 points (16 made field goals, out of 21 attempts) in the 108-93 win.

In the 1996 semis against Australia, a 93-71 win for the U.S., Leslie put up 22 points and 13 rebounds. She shot 10-16 from the floor.

And in the gold medal game against Brazil, Leslie put up 29 points in the 111-87 win, shooting 12-14 from the floor and 5-5 from three free throw line.

For the tournament, Leslie averaged 19.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg in eight games, shooting over 66 percent from the floor. But in the medal round games (the teams who advanced to the quarterfinals and beyond), she averaged 28.67 points per game while shooting 74.51 percent from the floor.

https://www.usab.com/history/national-team-womens/games-of-the-xxvith-olympiad-1996.aspx

https://www.usab.com/history/national-team-womens/us-womens-olympic-team-records.aspx

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/6713/pid2//sid/2951/tid/379/tid2//_/1996_Olympic_Games_Tournament_for_Women/index.html

Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

Are you suggesting Maya, Fowles, McCoughtry, and whatever guards needn’t try out for the 2020? That’s up to them.

Your making my simple question complicated.

Not saying those 3 don't need to try out- I'm just trying understand all the angst/anger over various players not being on the team* - it appears they aren't really needed. Why the angst/anger or whatever it is? Had USA lost maybe the selection committee might change things, but as I see they may figure they don't need to change a thing and if players don't like it - well tough luck.

*eg Diggins, Smith, Parker whoever.

MrCam

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
MrCam wrote:
ball Team.

Lisa Leslie, 1996 quarterfinals against Japan. She accounted for 35 points (16 made field goals, out of 21 attempts) in the 108-93 win.

In the 1996 semis against Australia, a 93-71 win for the U.S., Leslie put up 22 points and 13 rebounds. She shot 10-16 from the floor.

And in the gold medal game against Brazil, Leslie put up 29 points in the 111-87 win, shooting 12-14 from the floor and 5-5 from three free throw line.

For the tournament, Leslie averaged 19.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg in eight games, shooting over 66 percent from the floor. But in the medal round games (the teams who advanced to the quarterfinals and beyond), she averaged 28.67 points per game while shooting 74.51 percent from the floor.

https://www.usab.com/history/national-team-womens/games-of-the-xxvith-olympiad-1996.aspx

https://www.usab.com/history/national-team-womens/us-womens-olympic-team-records.aspx

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/6713/pid2//sid/2951/tid/379/tid2//_/1996_Olympic_Games_Tournament_for_Women/index.html

Well done and I thank you for the information. However,
even with Parker's game against France downgraded to say
5th best game all-time. It STILL makes Silky Johnson's point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: