RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Basketball needs to RETIRE Bird & Taurasi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
You guys really want to retire Diana Taurasi after she almost single handedly won that game against Belgium in the second half for you?

ALL Professional Athletes have a sell by date!!!

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
You guys really want to retire Diana Taurasi after she almost single handedly won that game against Belgium in the second half for you?

No. I need DT to be the RBG of women’s basketball Laughing
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/29/18 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was not even excited about these Worlds. Paid little attention when read ing who they were taking along. So many good players have been screwed out of the chance to play. It doesn’t just affect them. You start to lose fans too. Wake up USA basketball. Stop being so fucking members only. I like a lot of teams and a lot of players, but they’ve all been systematically excluded. Then I saw on my ESPN page an article about Cambage. Decided since this isn’t the olympics, maybe i’ll Just cheer for the Aussies. Woot, lets go Cambage and your Opals!

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/29/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

No. I need DT to be the RBG of women’s basketball Laughing

If I could like this post, I would. Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Not necessary.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

No. I need DT to be the RBG of women’s basketball :lol:

Just hope that she doesn't become the Willie Mays of women's basketball.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It would seem to me that the best players should play, regardless of age. If Bird and Taurasi are two of the best 12 that make up a cohesive roster, then they deserve to play. If not, then they should be replaced by those who are better.

I don't understand why people perpetuate this nonsense? A cohesive roster doesn't require the "best 12." USAB has a tremendous pool of talent to choose from; their margin of error is way bigger than the rest of the world. There's an enormous talent gap between the fourth-best point guard in the United States, and the fourth-best point guard in, say, Spain.

The "cohesive roster" part is way more important than the "best 12" part. The Connecticut Sun's roster, sans Jonquel Jones, is entirely composed of players from the United States. If the United States sent the Connecticut Sun (less Jones) to Tokyo, in place of Team USA, the Connecticut Sun would win the gold medal, and do you know how many players on the Sun are among the "best 12"? Zero, that's how many.

Wide as the US margin for error is, point guard is still the most important position on the court, and the point guard needs to develop a relationship with the other players, moreso than anyone else. Let's say that the Compiler "deserves" to play for USAB until she's ready to retire. I don't think that "deserve" has shit to do with shit, but that's neither here nor there: let's just stipulate the point, for the sake of argument. At some point, she's going to have to retire: Father Time is undefeated. So, the Compiler has indicated that she wants to play in Tokyo? Fine, let's give her that: let's just stipulate, for argument's sake, that she's "earned" it. USAB needs to already be looking ahead to [????] in 2022, and Paris in 2024. The starting point guard in Paris should already be on the team right now, learning as much from the incumbent as she can: raise your hand if you think that's going to be either Layshia Clarendon or Kelsey Plum?

Bench Min Pts FG 2Pts 3Pts FT OREB DREB

Sue BIRD 22:01 0 0/3 0/0 0/3 0/0 0 0
0% 0% 0% 0%

REB AST PF TO STL BLK +/- EFF

0 7 1 1 0 0 12 3

These stats only CONFIRM "Silky Johnson"'s point.

The stats that really matter in the line 7 assists 0 TO

that is all the PG for team USA really needs to do. Bird took 3 shots wasn't hitting so she focused on setting up her teammates.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Not necessary.

I was trying to be cordial Shocked
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The starting point guard in Paris should already be on the team right now, learning as much from the incumbent as she can: raise your hand if you think that's going to be either Layshia Clarendon or Kelsey Plum?[/quote]

Actually I wouldn't be too shocked if it was Plum.

She is under studying Bird right now. And is the PG to Wilson in LV who I am sure will be featured in the next 2 Olympics. Those two things alone have probably at least put her in position to get that spot. She is also evolving her game to be more of a pass first PG who picks and choses when to drive and shoot a 3, but isn't forcing her scoring like she did her first year in the league which is very similar to the way Bird has functioned as the National team PG through the years.

If Diggins-Smith or C. Gray had committed to these Worlds they probably would have been putting themselves in the same position and still might be included in the 2020 Olympics but I think not playing in these Worlds probably hurt their chances.

It is possible that come2022/ 2024 someone like Bueckers or Fudd will be on the team as the new PG in town but a veteran is more likely to start.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/29/18 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Not necessary.

Maybe he meant not necessarily.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Not necessary.

Maybe he meant not necessarily.

Then I would say, in hindsight, I agree. Laughing

I was thinking maybe it was an insinuation that the new posters was just a new screen name for someone already on the board.
MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
MrCam wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It would seem to me that the best players should play, regardless of age. If Bird and Taurasi are two of the best 12 that make up a cohesive roster, then they deserve to play. If not, then they should be replaced by those who are better.

I don't understand why people perpetuate this nonsense? A cohesive roster doesn't require the "best 12." USAB has a tremendous pool of talent to choose from; their margin of error is way bigger than the rest of the world. There's an enormous talent gap between the fourth-best point guard in the United States, and the fourth-best point guard in, say, Spain.

The "cohesive roster" part is way more important than the "best 12" part. The Connecticut Sun's roster, sans Jonquel Jones, is entirely composed of players from the United States. If the United States sent the Connecticut Sun (less Jones) to Tokyo, in place of Team USA, the Connecticut Sun would win the gold medal, and do you know how many players on the Sun are among the "best 12"? Zero, that's how many.

Wide as the US margin for error is, point guard is still the most important position on the court, and the point guard needs to develop a relationship with the other players, moreso than anyone else. Let's say that the Compiler "deserves" to play for USAB until she's ready to retire. I don't think that "deserve" has shit to do with shit, but that's neither here nor there: let's just stipulate the point, for the sake of argument. At some point, she's going to have to retire: Father Time is undefeated. So, the Compiler has indicated that she wants to play in Tokyo? Fine, let's give her that: let's just stipulate, for argument's sake, that she's "earned" it. USAB needs to already be looking ahead to [????] in 2022, and Paris in 2024. The starting point guard in Paris should already be on the team right now, learning as much from the incumbent as she can: raise your hand if you think that's going to be either Layshia Clarendon or Kelsey Plum?

Bench Min Pts FG 2Pts 3Pts FT OREB DREB

Sue BIRD 22:01 0 0/3 0/0 0/3 0/0 0 0
0% 0% 0% 0%

REB AST PF TO STL BLK +/- EFF

0 7 1 1 0 0 12 3

These stats only CONFIRM "Silky Johnson"'s point.

The stats that really matter in the line 7 assists & 0 TO

that is all the PG for team USA really needs to do. Bird took 3 shots
wasn't hitting so she focused on setting up her teammates.

This is true. A smart player does what the TEAM needs within the

confines of their skillset. As opposed to the iso first, STUPID, SELF-

ISH, stat chasing guard who thinks its all about them and them alone.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just for fun

2020 (last of the old guard)

Bird/Plum
DT/Loyd/Deshields or McBride
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

2022 (here come the new kids)

Plum/Fudd
Loyd/Ionescu/Durr or Ogunbowale
Deshields/KLS
Stewart/Wilson/EDD
Griner/Brown or McCowan

2024 (just for fun)

Fudd/Bueckers/Plum
Ionescu/Durr
Deshields/KLS
Stewart/Joyner-Holmes/Ch. Collier
Wilson/Brown or McCowan

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea who "Fudd" is, unless we're talking about Looney Toons, but if we think that it's only going to take her two years to beat out Plum for the starting job, then Plum has no business even being on the team right now.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also a real easy measuring stick the last decade on whether or not you will be on the senior team in Worlds or Olympics

#1 pick in WNBA draft you have a very good shot (Wilson, Plum, Stewart, Loyd, Moore, Griner, Charles, Parker, Augustus, DT, Bird, McCoughtry, N. Ogwumike).

#2 pick maybe but only if the #1 pick is a generational player or really only when there are two legit #1 picks Fowles, EDD and Pondexter are #2 picks but would be #1 many other draft than the one they were in.

#3 pick or higher very doubtful except in off years mostly in the Worlds or when the coach is accused of massive favoritism (Lawson, Tuck, A. Jones, Cash, Clarendon, Sims, Dupree) or you are the 2nd best PG of the last 15 years Whalen or you should have been a #1 pick but were very injured Catchings.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
just for fun

Bird/Plum
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

Plum/Fudd is too YOUNG
Loyd - May not be good enough/Ionescu - Same /Durr & Ogunbowale
Deshields/KLS
Stewart/Wilson/EDD
Griner/Brown or McCowan

Collier?

2024 (just for fun)

Fudd/Bueckers/Plum
Ionescu/Durr
Deshields/KLS
Wilson/Brown or McCowan

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I have no idea who "Fudd" is, unless we're talking about Looney Toons, but if we think that it's only going to take her two years to beat out Plum for the starting job, then Plum has no business even being on the team right now.

Fudd is the young phenom guard (I believe she is a sophomore in HS right now) who I see people talking about in a way that has lead me to believe she is the next great thing, the next DT the next Bird the next generational guard.

I always over react so I thought I would just fast track her to starting like Bird did in her early 20s but leave a vet on the bench just incase.

Anyway 2024 os really too far out to predict so I was just goofing around, with an attempt to keep it realistic at the same time.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
just for fun

Bird/Plum
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

Plum/Fudd is too YOUNG
Loyd - May not be good enough/Ionescu - Same /Durr & Ogunbowale
Deshields/KLS
Stewart/Wilson/EDD
Griner/Brown or McCowan

Collier?

2024 (just for fun)

Fudd/Bueckers/Plum
Ionescu/Durr
Deshields/KLS
Wilson/Brown or McCowan

yeah Fudd would be a sophomore in college in 22, so maybe she is the young one in 24

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Fudd is the young phenom guard (I believe she is a sophomore in HS right now) who I see people talking about in a way that has lead me to believe she is the next great thing, the next DT the next Bird the next generational guard.

I always over react so I thought I would just fast track her to starting like Bird did in her early 20s but leave a vet on the bench just incase.

Anyway 2024 os really too far out to predict so I was just goofing around, with an attempt to keep it realistic at the same time.

How did the best point guard in the US right now get totally bypassed from this process?

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

https://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4939

If this young lady pans out; LOOKOUT!!!

And then there is Horston & Haley Jones

We have PLENTY of talent in the pipeline.

It just a matter of who comes out of the crucible.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

How did the best point guard in the US right now get totally bypassed from this process?

I'm not exactly sure who you are talking about. If it is Diggins-Smith or C. Gray I could see team USA choosing to not go with them based on their not playing in this Worlds. I don't agree with that decision but I could see it playing out that way. Also I am just a fan, so I could also simply be wrong.

If it is someone else I am curious who that player is.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Courtney Vandersloot drop off the face of the earth?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

I think she is off the table as she is now Hungarian in FIBA/Olympic world.

The way Hammon/Prince and Nolan are Russian

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hungarian, huh? Must have gotten sick of waiting for the Compiler to retire.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/Courtney-Vandersloot-now-a-part-of-Hungary-s-11729101.php

In the eyes of USAB she has done exactly that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: