RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be THE standout freshman on your team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/05/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
FSU brought in 5 freshman. The highest ranked newbie Nicoletti will miss this season due to ACL. FSU has 10 players so all freshman will get quality minutes.

After listening to ACC media, Kourtney Weber out of Lousiana will make her presence felt and could be the "stand out" freshman on the team.

Oh no. I loved her at the McDonald's game. That sucks for her....and for FSU.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rae Burrell for Tennessee

PostPosted: 10/05/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate, sorry.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/05/18 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would be tough for a freshman to stand out on ND this year, what with returning 4 starters from the national champs and getting an All American back from injury for the 5th spot.

But of the four freshmen, I suspect Katlyn Gilbert is most likely to be a standout over four years, but will have the least opportunity to display her skill set as a freshman. She's a scorer at heart but probably will have a pretty short leash this year. So my guess is that Jordan Nixon and Abby Prohaska may have a greater impact this year because I think their games may be more suited to what is desired from freshmen backup guards. Barring an injury, I just don't see a lot of minutes available for Cosgrove this year that would allow her to stand out.

But this is entirely a guess and may turn out turn to be completely wrong.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/18 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SocksTerp wrote:
Shakira Austin for Maryland

Black Hole

PostPosted: 10/05/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO for Uconn. Being the biggest big on the team, she should see some good minutes from the start.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/05/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
ONO for Uconn. Being the biggest big on the team, she should see some good minutes from the start.

If that's the case, UCONNs in trouble.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/05/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

Oklahoma: With 6 incoming freshmen (that's gotta be a first!) Madison Williams is the leading contender for Most Likely To Be The Most Relevant Freshman. She's a 5-star recruit, the others all 3-star. I don't know much about any of them, so....who knows? Any positive surprises are welcome! I'd be willing to bet money on Aspen Williston being an impact kinda freshman, especially cuz Sherri has so little in the post department.

Edit: Oops....I just discovered Oklahoma now has 7 freshmen. Shocked Along with 3 sophomores on a roster of 12, I think we can declare them a Young Team.

Oregon: Easy! Taylor Chavez is the only one of 2 freshmen that can see any playing time. Razz (Sabally is injured) Shocked

Last edited by Howee on 10/06/18 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
willtalk

PostPosted: 10/06/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I follow quite few teams. But most of the one's I follow have already been covered, so I' comment on Oregon St.

They have three incoming frosh. Andrea Aquino, Patricia Morris and Jasmine Simmons. Based on the level of competition they could be evaluated against Simmons seems to be the most D1 ready. But based on team needs she might be the least probable to have an impact.

Jasmine Simmons- 5'11" guard. Was captain of Australian U-16 team that beat the USA in the Worlds a few years back and made all tournament team. She is a hustle do everything guard. Oregon is strong at that position so that the best prediction for her is to get into the rotation. Still Rueck has in the past even started Frosh over veterans if he felt the added what the team needed. Seems unlikely though in this case.

Patricia Morris 6'7" forward. She is a really under the radar player. Good athlete. She played mulit high school sports and it is obvious she did not concentrate on basketball. She played tennis and was on the swim team. Good athlete and from what I saw has quick feet. she moves laterally like a tennis player and that should help her on defense.. She, however, not only needs to adapt to a much higher level of competition, but also refine the basketball skills reflective of her potential. She has mostly upside, but I see her as least likely of the three to impact this season. However the team has needs in the front court so the opportunity for some playing time is there.

Andrea Aquino--- 6'9" forward. The best known of the incoming frosh. Has only been playing basketball since she was 15. Was more highly rated but dropped down due to the program she transferred too. She did not fit their system and they were showcasing some other posts who did not as yet have scholarships. Saw her play a few time in person and also on video. She runs the floor well, has good floor vision-- hits open players on passes. Good BB IQ especially for someone with her lack of experience. Rueck describes her as having guard skills. Can hit from 3pt range. Thats sort of what I saw as well. Think of a much taller Azura Stevens with a good attitude..

A lot of Oregon St fans are not to high on their 6'8" Senior center, and believe she needs to be replaced quickly for them to be successful. I think, personally, she is better than they believe. Irregardless of her ability, she is their only real post. Therefore, at least one, if not both the incoming frosh might see significant playing time. Of the two I believe Aquino is the most D1 ready, so i would pick her as potentially the most impactful incoming frosh.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/07/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska has a solid starting 5 in jR pg Hannah Whitish, JR g Nivea Ellely, JR f Maddie Simon, So wing Taylor Kissinger, and So P Kate Cain. They brought in a grad transfer from Florida Int, to fill out backcourt but any other depth will have to come from the 4 frosh.

Kayla Merahon, 6-3 F Minnetonka, MN
Ashtyn erbeek, 6-2 F Hull, IA
Leigh Brown, 6-1 G. Auburn, IN
Sam Haiby, 5-8 G. Moorhead, MN

I could see the posts getting more time initially as backups to Cain who really has no one do relieve her outside of the frosh. Haiby was a do everything kid at her school in Moorhead.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/09/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I notice no one has done Baylor yet. I'll give someone else a shot at it. If no one does it I take a shot later. This one should be hard to pick with the incoming class they have.

PostPosted: 10/17/18 4:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 5 Aussie Freshmen as chosen by The Pick and Roll:

http://pickandroll.com.au/ncaa-women-2018-19-top-5-freshmen/

PostPosted: 10/17/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I notice no one has done Baylor yet. I'll give someone else a shot at it. If no one does it I take a shot later. This one should be hard to pick with the incoming class they have.

I have a feeling it will be DeCosta or Bickle. Whoever can get minutes at the Wing.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/17/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

I have a feeling it will be DeCosta or Bickle. Whoever can get minutes at the Wing.

If Bickle beats out DeCosta ... well, I was about to say something ridiculous like "I'll walk to Waco" or something. But let's just I see that as very highly improbable.

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

If Bickle beats out DeCosta ... well, I was about to say something ridiculous like "I'll walk to Waco" or something. But let's just I see that as very highly improbable.

+1 and every Sic'em fan down south .

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Agreed; although, Bickle did play really well on their overseas trip. I think it will be depend on team needs. DeCosta is incredibly athletic and a solid ball handler, but from the limited times I've seen her play, she doesn't have much of an outside shot. If Baylor needs a shooter, Bickle might take that role. I don't see Egbo, Smith or Grayson-Scott getting a ton of playing time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think DeCosta might be the most outstanding freshman in the country; I'd be shocked if she wasn't the most outstanding FR on her own team.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

+1 and every Sic'em fan down south .

Baylor is going to need some 3pt scoring. Brown and Cox are going to get double and triple teamed. The only real 3pt shooter of the freshmen is actually Bickle. Morris is out. Who else on the team is a capable 3 PT shooter? Not Chloe Jackson. Juicy and Grayson-Scott maybe.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think DeCosta might be the most outstanding freshman in the country; I'd be shocked if she wasn't the most outstanding FR on her own team.

I agree; however, based on team needs maybe not. DeCosta is a slasher. The paint will be clogged with Cox and Brown. I think Baylors biggest need this year will be someone who can stretch the D.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

DeCosta Was pretty tho center on her high school team, I’m not sure her skill set will fit on the wing, she’s more of an undersized four to me.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeCosta can't shoot. Don't know anything about Bickle.
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:

DeCosta Was pretty tho center on her high school team, I’m not sure her skill set will fit on the wing, she’s more of an undersized four to me.

I agree. That's why I think based on Team needs, Bickle might surprise people. I also heard she had a knee injury in high school, so she wasn't really evaluated her senior year. Her ranking dropped.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

In their overseas play I think she shot over 50% from the field, 40% from 3. She played the most of the freshmen I think. DeCosta wasn't their. I think she had meniscus surgery.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

She sure has been draining 3's since she stepped on campus . So either your judgement is of her past or you have not watched the Lady bear's practice so far this year ?

PostPosted: 10/17/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

She sure has been draining 3's since she stepped on campus . So either your judgement is of her past or you have not watched the Lady bear's practice so far this year ?

Gabby Williams could also knock down the long ball in practice, so we’ll see if DeCosta can shoot in a game. The best part of her game is rebounding, I think she could be near the top of the nation and lead the big 12 in rebounding one day, I’m sure you will want her playing close to the basket to take advantage of her rebounding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: