RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/03/20 12:36 pm    ::: Texas Reply Reply with quote

A couple questions:

1) How committed is Texas to women's basketball? Do they care enough to invest enough to compete at a national level?

2) What kind of coach can succeed there? Is there anything special/different about that job? (For example, coaching at Northwestern or Duke is different than Florida State or Arizona.)

3) How hard will it be to succeed in the Big 12? Has Baylor taken over the state of Texas, for example, or is there room for more teams to succeed?

4) If Texas can return to top ten status, how long will it take? What can reasonably be expected of the new coach?

PostPosted: 04/03/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Texas has been really committed to WBB since Jody Conradt retired. They hired Gail Goestenkors but didn't really support her recruiting efforts and she didn't have Texas connections which are important. I don't feel like they've supported Karen as well as they could have either. Just my not so humble opinion.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 2:22 pm    ::: Re: Texas Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
A couple questions:

1) How committed is Texas to women's basketball? Do they care enough to invest enough to compete at a national level?

2) What kind of coach can succeed there? Is there anything special/different about that job? (For example, coaching at Northwestern or Duke is different than Florida State or Arizona.)

3) How hard will it be to succeed in the Big 12? Has Baylor taken over the state of Texas, for example, or is there room for more teams to succeed?

4) If Texas can return to top ten status, how long will it take? What can reasonably be expected of the new coach?

UT hasn't been known for supporting wbb that well, but they clearly want to win. They just fired a coach who was winning 70% of her games. How many places in wbb is that not good enough?

If you're going to beat Kim, you have to be able to coach as well as recruit. Now that Kim is consistently getting top level talent, you have to be able to win the development game. UT's culture is one where they expect to win -- and often don't seem to think they should have to work all that hard to do it. They need a coach that can recruit Texas well and can make players better.

2nd place in the B12 is there for the taking. Winning the B12 is a much taller order. What does success mean for UT?

It's not like UT is in the dumps. Reasonable expectation would be 2/3 in the conference. They have money and they are a prestigious place to be in the state. A good coach should be able to make them competitive with BU.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/03/20 5:57 pm    ::: Re: Texas Reply Reply with quote

Some Texas fans think they can hire just about any top ten coach away from her/his currently successful program (except Kim, of course) to come to Austin and restore their long ago glory. That 1985-86 undefeated season and NCAA championship still dazzles them. IMO, Karen Aston did a fine job. Very sorry to see her dumped like this. Charli Collier and Celeste Taylor will miss her, too.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Karen Aston will probably get another pretty decent coaching job somewhere else. She's a good coach and I don't think her record is awful; it just looks awful compared to Kim's, but very few don't.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the season, several Longhorn Fans thought Aston had lost the team. But according to social media, some of the players are pretty distraught regarding today's news. They could be some transfer portal news coming soon. Wonder if the AD and assistant AD Plonsky have reached out to the team.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/03/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel suggestie Vic Shaefer in the ESPN article. I think that would make a lot of sense.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crissakes...if Vic gets the Texas job, he might catch Geno.

PostPosted: 04/03/20 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel suggestie Vic Shaefer in the ESPN article. I think that would make a lot of sense.

why would he leave Miss State? Money? I think he's being paid a lot at State...and deservedly so.

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/20 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

why would he leave Miss State? Money? I think he's being paid a lot at State...and deservedly so.

Because it would be a lot better to recruit to Austin than to Starkville?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/20 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Because it would be a lot better to recruit to Austin than to Starkville?

And he's done Texas before. I don't think this is that far out of the realm of possibility. Mississippi state is small potatoes in the P5 landscape.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/20 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bit disappointed in the whole shebang. LOVED G.G., but could almost instantly see that her more cerebral style of coaching might not make it there--and she was an outsider. Karen? TX Golden Girl. Couldshoulda made it but....didn't. My biggest criticism of her was that, despite moments of brilliance, she couldn't pull it off 2 or 3 games in a row.

I think TX gets a fair amount of support from the powers that be. Vic? I could see that. I could see Jeff being tempted away, too. Whether or not TX DOES go for a top talent and spares no money will reveal the answer to just how much TX cares.

PostPosted: 04/04/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

I would think that if Vic were to leave Mississippi State it would be to take over at A&M when Gary Blair retires. To me, this is for a really high-caliber mid major coach that has Texas roots. And the first person I would call to have on staff, is Holly Warlick.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

I would think that if Vic were to leave Mississippi State it would be to take over at A&M when Gary Blair retires. To me, this is for a really high-caliber mid major coach that has Texas roots. And the first person I would call to have on staff, is Holly Warlick.

Vic is an A&M alum, still has a lot of ties to the area, and I believe he even owns a second home there. I don't see him taking the Texas job when Gary Blair is now 74 years old. Holly was a good AC and excellent recruiter even if she didn't cut it as an HC in the SEC. She could do well back as an AC in a P-5 school.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/05/20 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas players continue to say farewell to Coach Karen Aston and her staff.
https://twitter.com/palmerisabel11/status/1246586669517553665?s=20

osubeavers

PostPosted: 04/05/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed in the whole shebang. LOVED G.G., but could almost instantly see that her more cerebral style of coaching might not make it there--and she was an outsider. Karen? TX Golden Girl. Couldshoulda made it but....didn't. My biggest criticism of her was that, despite moments of brilliance, she couldn't pull it off 2 or 3 games in a row.

I think TX gets a fair amount of support from the powers that be. Vic? I could see that. I could see Jeff being tempted away, too. Whether or not TX DOES go for a top talent and spares no money will reveal the answer to just how much TX cares.

Texas spent BIG bucks on their softball program to hire Mike White away from Oregon where he won 5 Pac-12 championships in 6 years and made 5 WCWS trips while playing in a brand-new on-campus softball stadium.

They basically made him an offer that UO couldn't come close to matching.

If they can do that for their softball hire, they can probably do something similar for WBB. If they want to talk to Vic Schaefer, I'm sure Vic will listen. Vic is from Austin.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have heard it from a (VERY sturdy) grapevine source that TX has already put out feelers to candidates with the caveat that, essentially, money will not be a hurdle. That reflects well on the TX admin. Cool

PostPosted: 04/05/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Texas players continue to say farewell to Coach Karen Aston and her staff.
https://twitter.com/palmerisabel11/status/1246586669517553665?s=20

Expect transfers, no matter who they hire.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I have heard it from a (VERY sturdy) grapevine source that TX has already put out feelers to candidates with the caveat that, essentially, money will not be a hurdle. That reflects well on the TX admin. Cool

Sounds like Texas is hiring Vic Schaefer.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1246882591686496258

Quote:
#BREAKING: Texas is hiring Vic Schaefer as it's next #ncaaw coach, source tells
@theballoutmedia

PostPosted: 04/05/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm, Vic is currently making $1.6M/yr and is going into the 3rd year of a 4-yr contract. Texas must be forking over a lot of money for the buyout and to give him a raise.

https://sports.usatoday.com/2018/07/09/mississippi-states-vic-schaefer-becomes-one-of-highest-paid-womens-coaches/

Wonder if GG would like Starkville.
Nope.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/05/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! Very surprised by this move.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody likes Starkville. The question is whether she would find it preferable to sitting out.

PostPosted: 04/05/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miss state even offered to match the Texas offer and Vic still said no... geesh literally Hookem Horns!

PostPosted: 04/05/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

Looks like someone got some inside info.

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: