RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/13/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Injuries are a fact of athletic life at this level, and you can never have too many good players. If they're all healthy, then maybe you have a problem, but as noted in another thread, only one top team stayed healthy all year ...

Or, think about it this way: How much better off would the Mystics have been if they had Emma when EDD got hurt?

With that argument they still wouldn't have been in the final as The Dream and Angel would have been Wink Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Krystal Thomas clearly isn't returning. Hawkins, I believe, is a FA. This should automatically make them keep Meesseman. And hopefully Hines-Allen. Pick up a FA center to back up Sanders.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Krystal Thomas clearly isn't returning.

Eh. There are worse players to keep around in the 11th/12th spot if she's willing to stay for the vet minimum.

toad455 wrote:
Hawkins, I believe, is a FA.

Nope.

PostPosted: 09/13/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
More important than that - when are they going to start getting some refs on the payroll? Razz

Tried...…….Failed Smile

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 09/24/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://georgetowner.com/articles/2018/09/24/d-c-gets-another-new-sports-venue/

tfan

PostPosted: 09/25/18 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they reuse those shiny scissors.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/25/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver getting a good look at the Mystics' new home

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/25/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this is like a high school gym for a small school -- bleachers only on one side?

That is not a good look when there are no fans behind the benches.

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible this is only a practice gym?

this is supposedly what it looks like:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/photos-from-the-opening-of-the-new-home-for-the-wnbas-washington-mystics/2018/09/22/ba50fa8a-be9e-11e8-8792-78719177250f_gallery.html?utm_term=.7f09140fc1a7
it's the 10th photo in this gallery

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 09/25/18 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is it possible this is only a practice gym?

It is a practice gym.... for the Wizards.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any pictures of the "seats"? Haven't found any.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to wade through all the pictures to get to it, but the seats looks fine to me. As I understand the area surrounding the arena is concern for Mystics fans, because it has a reputation for being unsafe.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/25/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 09/25/18 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 09/25/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Home of the NBA G League Capital City Go-Go.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So this is like a high school gym for a small school -- bleachers only on one side?

That is not a good look when there are no fans behind the benches.

That’s the practice part of the building. The arena is a separate part of the same building.

The whole facility looks pretty nice. The arena part is just “intimate” as they like to say.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/25/18 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Approx eight rows of seats on one side of the court.

Single level at ends.

Two levels on the other side.

4,200 total capacity.

That's fewer than the forty year old Smith Center at GW or the thirty year old Bender Arena at American U.

It's a pretty glaring statement about the insignificance of the Mystics. What a shame.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hopefully with their recent Finals appearance, Mystics' fans will fill that 4,200 seat arena. Maybe playoff games will go to the Capital One Arena?

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely better, but still -- eight rows behind the team benches? Not a great look.

That said, if the Mystics pack this place every night, it could be really fun and a tremendous home court advantage.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Definitely better, but still -- eight rows behind the team benches? Not a great look.

That said, if the Mystics pack this place every night, it could be really fun and a tremendous home court advantage.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

agree. just wish the capacity was more. Like around 7k.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/26/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

They show the team benches on the side opposite the eight rows. But if they can’t get a TV camera up high enough on the eight row side and had to use the other side for it, the eight rows would end up being shown.

Last edited by tfan on 09/26/18 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we have learned anything from the Dream going to GA Tech, and the Liberty's moves to WCC (and NJ before that), and other teams moving around it seems that what really matters is Location, Location, Location. The places that are hard to get to or lack parking generally suck when it comes to attendance. If, the new arena is located with convenient transportation in a safe area it should do well. From what ArtBest23 and others have posted that is not the case, so the numbers may be sparse.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/26/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
hopefully with their recent Finals appearance, Mystics' fans will fill that 4,200 seat arena. Maybe playoff games will go to the Capital One Arena?

One would think that since the whole point of the deal was to try to draw people to an economically depressed and isolated part of the city (in exchange for spending $70M on a free practice facility for the Wizards), the deal wouldn't allow the Mystics to cherry pick the most popular games and move them downtown.

On the other hand, DC politics being what they are, it's possible the politicians are happy just being able to point to the shiny new building and proclaim "See, we care about Ward 8, look what we did for you!" and don't really care what happens afterwards or if anyone shows up. Once they get their pictures taken at the Mary J Blige concert next month, they may consider their job done and go right back to ignoring Ward 8.

Whatever the details of the deal are, though, Ted Leonsis and Shiela Johnson knew what they could and couldn't do when they signed up. I'm not convinced the good of the Mystics or their fans was even a minor consideration in Ted getting for free his long-desired practice facility.

BTW, with respect to new concert venues, The Anthem, recently opened at the big time, expensive, office/condo/hotel/entertainment complex at The Wharf on the waterfront in SW DC, holds 6,000. It opened with a concert by the Foo Fighters. Unlike the St. E's site of the Mystics arena, The Wharf has attracted lots of new restaurants, bars and retail, and a shiny expensive new InterContinental Hotel. Now if they had built the Mystics arena at the Wharf, it would have been a huge success, but then it would have cost a lot more money and the city wouldn't have picked up the tab.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/26/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If we have learned anything from the Dream going to GA Tech, and the Liberty's moves to WCC (and NJ before that), and other teams moving around it seems that what really matters is Location, Location, Location. The places that are hard to get to or lack parking generally suck when it comes to attendance. If, the new arena is located with convenient transportation in a safe area it should do well. From what ArtBest23 and others have posted that is not the case, so the numbers may be sparse.

It's in an area with a bad reputation, especially among suburbanites considering a trip downtown. Key is parking. It's not a difficult drive, and people went to RFK and the Armory because the parking was easy, close to the venue, and relatively isolated from the surroundings. I don't know the parking situation or plans yet at the new arena. But good parking and a confidence in the safety (both for car and subway travelers) are key to attracting families and kids. I'll be interested to see how that develops.

There's also nothing else there. I had Nationals season tickets when they played at RFK several years, but it was a drive in, go to the game, and get out and get home thing. It's not like going to the Capital One or the new Nationals park where you can go get food and a beer next door with friends before and/or after a game.

There's not likely to be anything of significant interest around the Mystics arena for a long time, if ever.

But, the place is so small that the crowd is probably going to look pretty good. After all, it's just not that hard to draw, say, 3,000, and that will look like a pretty full house in that little shoe box. I expect they will fill up frequently, at least in the beginning.

They really need to focus on security, though. Given the pre-existing doubts, one bad incident could really be a setback.

On the other hand, if the word after a couple months of WNBA play is that people feel safe and comment that there is lots of security and no problems, it will really boost things.

(BTW, I'm not really equating this site to the RFK/Armory site. They're similar in some ways, but crossing the Anacostia river is in the DC mentality like crossing into another land. This site is harder to get to, less well known, and has a worse reputation. People were familiar with going to RFK and the Armory for decades. I'm not sure yet that families who for years didn't hesitate to to take their kids to a Sunday afternoon Ringling Brothers show at the Armory will be willing,at least at first, to take their kids to the St E's arena for a Mystics game.)

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/26/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Toliver getting a good look at the Mystics' new home

Pathetic. First the Liberty’s shithole and now this. Just fold the entire league now. It’s becoming a complete joke. Why not just play in a school yard.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/27/18 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Approx eight rows of seats on one side of the court.

Single level at ends.

Two levels on the other side.

4,200 total capacity.

That's fewer than the forty year old Smith Center at GW or the thirty year old Bender Arena at American U.

It's a pretty glaring statement about the insignificance of the Mystics. What a shame.

Yup. It's my understanding that there was an option to build the "arena" in a way that it could seat 5,000-plus (the first number would not have been a 4), but that the City would not pay for it. I have mixed feelings about all that, as I don't believe cities should be footing the bill for new arenas and stadiums for the zillionaire owners of sports teams. (Abe Pollin spent his own $$$ to build the MCI Center.)

BTW, season ticketholders have been invited to a come-see-the-new-digs event Friday night in conjunction with a Wizards practice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: