RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 01/02/19 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It potentially makes a difference in cases where a free agent wants to get into coaching because NBA-owned teams can say, "We can offer you X dollars a year - and - one of our six NBA assistant coach positions is also open (or will likely be opening up)". Half the league can say that, while half the league can't. In years past it would have been a non-issue, but it seems that NBA teams increasingly want to have a woman as one of their six assistants. If the free agent doesn't want to go into coaching they could offer them a position on the business side of their NBA team, like the one Sue Bird has.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/02/19 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And my response is so what? Magic Johnson can offer Sparks players a chance to work in the movie theater industry. Herb Simon can offer Fever players a chance to work in real estate. Kelly Loeffler can offer Dream players a chance to work in "a regulated, global ecosystem for digital assets." There are all kinds of inequities outside of basketball that might affect the decision-making of players. As I mentioned before, big cities offer more media and endorsement opportunities. However, small markets usually have lower taxes and a lower cost of living. If we're aiming for a level playing field, then shouldn't high cost of living locations get a higher salary cap? And if we want to be really wonky and technical, do players in right-to-work states have to join the union? Can they opt out? In which case, are they still covered by the CBA and does the max salary still apply? We can play this game all day. At some point, there really is no substitute for exercising common sense and making a fair judgment.

PostPosted: 01/02/19 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
At some point, there really is no substitute for exercising common sense and making a fair judgment.

If there isn't a blanket unconditional yes/no given regarding it, it should be spelled out who exercises common sense and makes a fair judgement when WNBA owner(s) offer players employment for other owned-entities. That is, separate WNBA-owner employment would be approved by the WNBA president or vote of the league owners.

Quote:
big cities offer more media and endorsement opportunities.

I wonder how this has gone in practice - do players in more populated WNBA cities get more endorsements and other outside money than those in less populated cities? Or, what kind of local endorsements do WNBA players get?

Quote:
small markets usually have lower taxes and a lower cost of living.

I believe that WNBA players have their housing expenses paid so I don't think that is a factor. But it would make sense to have all the salary rules adjusted for state tax rates. Although, I think the WNBA players may have a complicated tax situation. At least the NBA players have to pay state taxes in every state in which they play a game.

Last edited by tfan on 01/02/19 4:28 am; edited 7 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 01/02/19 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
And my response is so what? Magic Johnson can offer Sparks players a chance to work in the movie theater industry. Herb Simon can offer Fever players a chance to work in real estate. Kelly Loeffler can offer Dream players a chance to work in "a regulated, global ecosystem for digital assets." There are all kinds of inequities outside of basketball that might affect the decision-making of players. As I mentioned before, big cities offer more media and endorsement opportunities. However, small markets usually have lower taxes and a lower cost of living. If we're aiming for a level playing field, then shouldn't high cost of living locations get a higher salary cap? And if we want to be really wonky and technical, do players in right-to-work states have to join the union? Can they opt out? In which case, are they still covered by the CBA and does the max salary still apply? We can play this game all day. At some point, there really is no substitute for exercising common sense and making a fair judgment.

There is one difference - WNBA players do have qualifications that may make them uniquely qualified to be a basketball coach or scout by virtue of playing for many years. I'm not aware that playing basketball provides any background useful for work in a regulated global ecosystem of digital assets (but then I may just be assuming they are as clueless as I am and don't even know what the hell that is.) And, if they want to work in one of Magic's movie theatres in the off-season the pay and hours aren't high enough to get excited about.

That being said, this is exactly the kind of thing the WNBA should be encouraging to keep players home in the off-season and help prepare them for life after basketball. I believe the next CBA should expand the $50k stay home bonus a lot if coupled with real off-season jobs. The CBA should codify the requirements and rules for this situation.

Last edited by Randy on 01/02/19 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/02/19 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
pilight wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
I think it is so detrimental to the interests of these young women (and to the WNBA) to put such major obstacles in the way of their professional opportunities in the name of protecting a salary cap.

It's about keeping the teams on even footing. A team not affiliated with an NBA team can't make this offer, giving affiliated teams an advantage.

But you are assuming an improper offer has been made -- an offer intended to circumvent the salary cap. That's the very thing at issue, and it can't be assumed.

I'm assuming one could be made, which it can

PostPosted: 01/02/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

There is one difference - WNBA players do have qualifications that may make them uniquely qualified to be a basketball coach or scout by virtue of playing for many years. I'm not aware that playing basketball provides any background useful for work in a regulated global ecosystem of digital assets (but then I may just be assuming they are as clueless as I am and don't even know what the hell that is.)

You haven't lived until you've experienced regulating a global ecosystem of digital assets.

Randy wrote:
And, if they want to work in one of Magic's movie theatres in the off-season the pay and hours aren't high enough to get excited about.

I was alluding to management opportunities -- not manning the ticket booth or candy counter.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics looking like:

PG: Cloud/#34 pick?
SG: Toliver/Walker-Kimbrough
SF: Atkins/Powers/Mestdagh
F: Delle Donne/Messeeman/Hines-Allen
C: Sanders/#10 pick

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/04/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meeseman at Belgium camp?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/04/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Meeseman at Belgium camp?

Dont worry. Meesseman will play. Mystics also gave a training camp invite to another belgium player Kim Mestdagh. She is the daughter of the coach of the Belgium national team. So he will support their players to play in the wnba

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 02/04/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mestdagh went to Colorado State, and ended up the 4th all time CSU career scorer. She went undrafted in 2012.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One player to leave off your projected training camp roster is Greenwell, who announced a setback in her recovery from injury:
http://beccagreenwell.blogspot.com/2019/04/worth-wait.html
toad455

PostPosted: 04/12/19 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics right now:

PG: Cloud
SG: Toliver/Walker-Kimbrough/Leslie/Peddy
SF: Atkins/Powers/Mestdagh
F: Delle Donne/Messeeman/Hines-Allen
C: Sanders/Hawkins/Fuehring

Good luck to Fuehring in making this final roster.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/19 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck to his first round pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UK1996

PostPosted: 04/18/19 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maci Morris is going to the Mystics training camp according to UK.

PostPosted: 04/18/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Maci Morris is going to the Mystics training camp according to UK.

Just what they need, another guard.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/01/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emma Is Back

https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2019/5/1/18524842/washington-mystics-training-camp-roster-emma-meesseman-kiara-leslie-elena-delle-donne

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/06/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Thibault, Emma is unlikely to be in the starting lineup to start the season. So there's that mystery solved for now.

stever

PostPosted: 05/06/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mystics have their core and Emma Meesseman back, and they are aiming for a WNBA Finals return

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/06/mystics-have-their-core-emma-meesseman-back-are-aiming-wnba-finals-return/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6315e417640e

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious to see what kind of line-up Thibault goes with at the beginning of the season? Does Emma start? Delle Donne at SF?

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Training camp/minimum contracts do not count against the cap until season starts and they make team.

PostPosted: 05/08/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So when Emma goes off to Eurobasket for a month, is her salary pro-rated?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/08/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So when Emma goes off to Eurobasket for a month, is her salary pro-rated?

You can temporarily suspend her. The number still counts on the cap, but she doesn't get the actual cash for the time she's gone.

PostPosted: 05/10/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was mention before the Mystics training camp started that Kiara Leslie was getting a medical opinion, there was no mention to the public of what was ailing her until today. It appears Kira Leslie will be out for most of the 2019 WNBA regular season unless she's a quick healer. I wonder if Kiara Leslie's meniscus issue happen before or after her WNBA Pre-Draft Rookie Medical Examination and when did the Mystics find out Kiara Leslie had an issue with her knee.

https://mystics.wnba.com/news/mystics-injury-update/

I guess this from Washington Post Mystics Beat Reporter Ava Wallace answers my question about when the Mystics found out Kiara Leslie had a medical issue.

Per Ava Wallace Wash Post

Talked to Mike Thibault this evening, who said WNBA teams aren’t allowed to bring in players to work out before they’re drafted like teams do in other pro leagues. Leslie told trainers about hamstring soreness when she practiced in DC last week & they sent her for an MRI.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
It was mention before the Mystics training camp started that Kiara Leslie was getting a medical opinion, there was no mention to the public of what was ailing her until today. It appears Kira Leslie will be out for most of the 2019 WNBA regular season unless she's a quick healer. I wonder if Kiara Leslie's meniscus issue happen before or after her WNBA Pre-Draft Rookie Medical Examination and when did the Mystics find out Kiara Leslie had an issue with her knee.

I guess this from Washington Post Mystics Beat Reporter Ava Wallace answers my question about when the Mystics found out Kiara Leslie had a medical issue.

Per Ava Wallace Wash Post

Talked to Mike Thibault this evening, who said WNBA teams aren’t allowed to bring in players to work out before they’re drafted like teams do in other pro leagues. Leslie told trainers about hamstring soreness when she practiced in DC last week & they sent her for an MRI.

Oh wow! I was looking forward to seeing her play! She looked good during the NCAA season.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Reading between the lines of the WP article, I think Mike T was annoyed that his salary cap is taking a hit for a non-playing rookie; particularly one who wasn’t 100% guaranteed to make the roster. And not at all happy knowing this medical issue almost certainly was present before the draft, without it being disclosed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: