RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:14 pm    ::: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Now what? Is Emma coming back?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More important than that - when are they going to start getting some refs on the payroll? Razz

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:16 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Now what? Is Emma coming back?

You get Emma back. Try to get EDD healthy and try again. Nobody expected them in the finals this year. I cant see them getting worse next season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:20 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

I'm still not sure how you play Emma and EDD together. If Emma is willing to play elsewhere, I would at least test those waters. Can you get a better center if you are willing to part with her, for example?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah let's start the find a new home for Emma game. Problem with trading her for a center is most teams have one good center or less. Don't know anyone with 2.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:28 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I'm still not sure how you play Emma and EDD together. If Emma is willing to play elsewhere, I would at least test those waters. Can you get a better center if you are willing to part with her, for example?

Trading Emma for a center is not a worthwhile pursuit. We're not getting a top one for her and the ones below that top tier are not as valuable as her.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:33 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Sanders did pretty good at center so you dont really need that. If EDD and Hawkins can play together then EDD and Meesseman can do that aswell. You need a solid 3rd option( Atkins and Emma as your 3rd and 4th option is pretty solid)so let Emma come off the bench for 25 minutes or so and keep on starting Sanders. I would trade Hawkins

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sanders is a starter but she can't really play 30+ minutes consistently because of her condition. There should be plenty minutes for Emma+MHA off the bench.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:42 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Sanders did pretty good at center so you dont really need that. If EDD and Hawkins can play together then EDD and Meesseman can do that aswell. You need a solid 3rd option( Atkins and Emma as your 3rd and 4th option is pretty solid)so let Emma come off the bench for 25 minutes or so and keep on starting Sanders. I would trade Hawkins

Why would you want Messeman to play like Hawkins. She is much better and much more valuable. A team where your two best players (certainly not Hawkins) play the same position is a real problem. Seems to me that Messeman is more valuable on the market that she is on the team. They did well without her, and it seems to me they can improve more by adding a piece that plays a different position than they can adding an All-Star who doubles up their best player.

Looks like a similar issue that CT has to me.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:45 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Why would you want Messeman to play like Hawkins. She is much better and much more valuable. A team where your two best players (certainly not Hawkins) play the same position is a real problem. Seems to me that Messeman is more valuable on the market that she is on the team. They did well without her, and it seems to me they can improve more by adding a piece that plays a different position than they can adding an All-Star who doubles up their best player.

Please suggest an Emma trade that does this. Because I'm still drawing a blank after talking about this all season.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And honestly? If you don't have Griner/Fowles/Cambage I don't think it really matters who's playing the 5 for you as long as they're at least 6 foot 3, good, and can rebound the ball. Against most teams it doesn't matter and you're not stopping the aforementioned 3 with single coverage anyways (unless you have one of them specifically).

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/12/18 10:04 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2019 Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Im not saying that she has to play like Hawkins. Im saying both are powerforwards so if EDD can play with Hawkins without the team giving up leads etc then with Emma will not be that much of a problem. Emma has more of a postgame then Hawkins and is a better 3pointshooter. Also you dont want EDD to play 30+ minutes.
Have her play around 27-28 max Give those 12-13 min to Emma and then have Sanders play around 25 min. Also you can go big for 5-10 min per game when the defensive matchups allow that or when the opposing bench unit is in.

Trade Emma to the Mercury or Sky and you wont get the return that she is worth

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A genuine 3 who can shoot would be an alternative to trade Meesseman for - Atkins is really a 2, and will probably be the successor to Toliver in the not-too-distant future - but those aren't easy to find either. Most likely they just bring Mees back, add her into the mix and make themselves deeper. It'd give them more cover for the inevitable times Delle Donne gets hurt.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also can we be sure Meesseman does come back? And even if she would come back to Washington would she come back for another team? She has National team commitments, makes more money over-seas and isn't an American does she risk injury and possible messing up her National team and bigger contract? This isn't meant as a slight but it is a legit question and it does lower her trade value.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Also can we be sure Meesseman does come back? And even if she would come back to Washington would she come back for another team? She has National team commitments, makes more money over-seas and isn't an American does she risk injury and possible messing up her National team and bigger contract? This isn't meant as a slight but it is a legit question and it does lower her trade value.

You can't be certain of anything, and obviously EuroBasket might impinge on the WNBA occasionally, but Meesseman's shown pretty impressive dedication to the WNBA. She'd missed 11 games total prior to this season, for any reason, in five years since being drafted. That's better than a bunch of the Americans, frankly.

I expect her to show up in Washington. Whether she would be as dedicated somewhere else is certainly open to question. Personal relationships can always turn these decisions, and she and Thibault seem to understand each other well. But she may also be one of those basketball junkies driven to improve and to test herself on the highest level - who would therefore continue to show up elsewhere in the US. That's something you'd talk to her and her agent about before making any moves.

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching the Toliver/Langhorne story I think it would interesting if UFA Langhorne went back to Washington to finish out her career (they don't really need her if Emma is back, but she would be a good fit, and give them scoring and experience in the post).

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You can't be certain of anything, and obviously EuroBasket might impinge on the WNBA occasionally, but Meesseman's shown pretty impressive dedication to the WNBA. She'd missed 11 games total prior to this season, for any reason, in five years since being drafted. That's better than a bunch of the Americans, frankly.

I expect her to show up in Washington. Whether she would be as dedicated somewhere else is certainly open to question. Personal relationships can always turn these decisions, and she and Thibault seem to understand each other well. But she may also be one of those basketball junkies driven to improve and to test herself on the highest level - who would therefore continue to show up elsewhere in the US. That's something you'd talk to her and her agent about before making any moves.

I hope she does come back.

My only counter to that is she is in her late twenties instead of her early twenties and as we get older we tend to make more conservative decisions. And in year round basketball land she might choose rest, preperation for the Olympics and protection of assets over great competition.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#10 draft possibilities

who knows with Mike T no one had Atkins that high and everyone was wrong.

Guards/wing
Cunningham, Laska, Calhoun (just thought I throw in a Mike T curve ball) Matin, Kea, Bell, Higgs (or a bunch)

Anigwe, Sheppard, Gustafason, Turner, Jenning

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I would do

sign Langhorne
draft Cunningham
Start EDD at the 3 but quickly sub in a SF for one of Emma or EDD for better balance

Toliver/Cloud
Atkins/Powers/SWK
EDD/Hines-Allen/Cunningham
Meesseman/Hawkins
Sanders/Langhorne

keep K. Thomas if one of Meesseman or Sanders doesn't play in 19

Maybe keep SWK instead of TRP, and play Hines-Allen at the 3 and the 4

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/13/18 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She only turned 25 in May. These Euros start young, don't forget. And there's every chance Belgium won't qualify for the Olympics (even a pretty decent chance they don't qualify for the World Olympic Qualifying groups) which would reduce those commitments.

I agree that nothing is certain, but I just think it's unfair at this point to tar her as one of these unreliable foreigners. She took one season off when her country qualified for the biggest tournament in their history (and she's struggling to be fit for it anyway, by the way). At this point she's skipped a similar amount of time to people like Taurasi and McCoughtry.

PostPosted: 09/13/18 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TBH I am just putting myself in her shoes not trying to paint her as unreliable.

Risk of injury is a real thing and if you make $500,000 at one job, want to bring your country to a new level in your sport, playing in a third league when you could rest and spend time with your family and not get hurt doesn't seem unreasonable.

I view as only slightly different for the American's in the W, but can understand why even they choose to rest or end their career here and continue to play over-seas.

It is nothing against Emma, this is her first year not playing in the W, but it is exactly that which might make her realize she is OK without it.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/18 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics should draft a PG at #10. I hope Thibault keeps Hines-Allen around and develops her. She's had some very nice bright spots this season. I believe Hawkins is a FA and will likely go elsewhere.

PG: Cloud/#10 pick
SG: Toliver/Powers/Walker-Kimbrough
SF: Atkins/Ruffin-Pratt
PF: Delle Donne/Meesseman
C: Sanders/Hines-Allen/free agent

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I hope she does come back.

My only counter to that is she is in her late twenties instead of her early twenties and as we get older we tend to make more conservative decisions. And in year round basketball land she might choose rest, preperation for the Olympics and protection of assets over great competition.

She was only 25 in May. As I recall she wanted to come back this season, but couldn't be available for the playoffs due to her NT duties. Had they brought her back, they might easily have won another game and gotten the 2 seed, and perhaps the 1 seed. With Delle Donne's injury history it seem to be me they keep her and just figure out how to best use her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/13/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Injuries are a fact of athletic life at this level, and you can never have too many good players. If they're all healthy, then maybe you have a problem, but as noted in another thread, only one top team stayed healthy all year ...

Or, think about it this way: How much better off would the Mystics have been if they had Emma when EDD got hurt?

PostPosted: 09/13/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
And honestly? If you don't have Griner/Fowles/Cambage I don't think it really matters who's playing the 5 for you as long as they're at least 6 foot 3, good, and can rebound the ball. Against most teams it doesn't matter and you're not stopping the aforementioned 3 with single coverage anyways (unless you have one of them specifically).

Meesseman does not rebound very well for her natural position, which makes her at the 5 a little different. I expect her to still see close to her usual minutes, but the least of that to come at the 5.

Outside of adding her, next season should mostly just be a continuation. No longer will the Mystics start the season searching for the right starting lineup. If an Atkins jump comes, Toliver may not see the opponent's best perimeter defender for the first time in career. The Storm just set a league record for ORtg, but the Mystics have the potential to shatter it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: