RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Oh. Magbegor not reporting until 2020. I guess it makes sense, since she's only 19.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/seattle-storm-select-australian-forward-ezi-magbegor-with-no-12-pick-in-wnba-draft/

I wouldn't be against "Sucking for Sabrina" in 2019... Then go for it in 2020 Idea Twisted Evil

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/11/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Oh. Magbegor not reporting until 2020. I guess it makes sense, since she's only 19.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/seattle-storm-select-australian-forward-ezi-magbegor-with-no-12-pick-in-wnba-draft/

I wouldn't be against "Sucking for Sabrina" in 2019... Then go for it in 2020 Idea Twisted Evil

I think it would be extremely difficult to suck that badly with the 2-year lottery odds.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/11/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
They've signed Shavonte Zellous.

Pretty good move for the Storm.

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
craigmont wrote:

I think it would be extremely difficult to suck that badly with the 2-year lottery odds.

Storm could go 0-34 and still not make the lottery.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Storm could go 0-34 and still not make the lottery.

The lottery is for the teams that miss the playoffs, and it's the odds that are determined by 2-year record of the non-playoff teams.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/11/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As SpaceJunkie pointed out, we would be in the lottery, but even 0-34 likely wouldn't give us the best odds.

Ezi may be a pick for the future, but I think the Zellous signing is a good indication that the Storm have no intention of planning for a rebuild and playing for the 2020 draft. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind Ionescu in a Storm jersey. The odds of us getting to draft her, though, are so low at this point that I wouldn't get my hopes up...barring another fortuitous change to the lottery rules. Razz

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are we even talking about this?

The defending champs, returning the entire team, would consider tanking this season to play the lottery? On what planet?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:

I've always liked Zellous.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:

I've always liked Zellous.

Yeah she was the one vet in NY i wanted back.

Before I thought maybe it was us not wanting her but now it feels like it was her not wanting us. If I am Shavonte I definitely try to go play for a contender, Seattle seems like the perfect landing spot.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/12/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Magbegor is young and athletic, with a lot of potential and upside.

That being said, much like Fran Fraschilla said in 2014 about Bruno Caboclo, Ezi is "two years away from being two years away."

For a team that is contending now or that has an aging core trying to make a last run at the WNBA title (e.g., Phoenix), a player like Magbegor made no sense.

On the other hand, Seattle, as the defending WNBA champs with a young core, can afford to do a draft and stash while using free agency to upgrade parts of its roster for 2019.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/12/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm right now:

PG: Bird/Canada
SG: Loyd/Whitcomb/Miller
SF: Clark/Zellous/Mosqueda-Lewis/Howard/Muldrow
PF: Stewart/Langhorne
C: Howard/Paris/Russell

No word if Tokashiki is returning?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://cascadiasn.com/seattle-storm/qa-with-seattle-storm-ceo-alisha-valavanis/

Here’s a Q&A with the Storm GM. It’s a good one because he asks the kind of non-softball questions we fans like to know the answers to like:
Was Ezi deciding not to report until 2020 a mutual decision? I think we all know they talked her into waiting until Langhorne’s contract was up and she could no longer be cored, wanting to disrupt the “championship roster” as little as possible.
What is the latest with Ramu Tokashiki? I don’t believe they’re thinking much about her at all. She wasn’t part of the championship formula, but they still own her rights. It’s kinda like the Lynx not thinking about Anna Cruz very much.
What was the point of the Zellous acquisition? They see her as a perimeter defender.
Does the Zellous acquisition make it tough for Anriel Howard to make the team?Of course it does. KML is probably on a guaranteed contract because she signed for relatively cheap for a free agent.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/13/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Tokashiki wanted to play this season where Seattle could trade her? So Ezi will basically take Langhorne's spot next season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Cooper2009

PostPosted: 04/13/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://cascadiasn.com/seattle-storm/qa-with-seattle-storm-ceo-alisha-valavanis/

What was the point of the Zellous acquisition? They see her as a perimeter defender.
Does the Zellous acquisition make it tough for Anriel Howard to make the team?Of course it does. KML is probably on a guaranteed contract because she signed for relatively cheap for a free agent.

This is what I don’t like about that, KML is replaceable. Howard is a lot like Clark because she already plays good defense but primarily a post converting to the wing which I think she’ll be able to do as well as and better than Clark based off of just what she did this past season. And that isn’t to diminish clark’s role or presence at all. I think she’s the perfect mentor for a player like Howard. Someone who’s ability to play on the perimeter is ever growing.

I like Zellous on this team but at the detriment of a promising rookie... and as always KML needs to show improvement or I really hope this is it for her. 🙄

PostPosted: 04/14/19 5:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Here’s a Q&A with the Storm GM. It’s a good one because he asks the kind of non-softball questions we fans like to know the answers to like:
Was Ezi deciding not to report until 2020 a mutual decision? I think we all know they talked her into waiting until Langhorne’s contract was up and she could no longer be cored, wanting to disrupt the “championship roster” as little as possible.
What is the latest with Ramu Tokashiki? I don’t believe they’re thinking much about her at all. She wasn’t part of the championship formula, but they still own her rights. It’s kinda like the Lynx not thinking about Anna Cruz very much.

Unlike recent years, Langhorne was not cored by Seattle. Here is the list from the WNBA: https://www.wnba.com/2019-core-reserved-free-agents/
In doing the roster math, Seattle could not be paying Lang close to the required core max salary:
Bird $117500
Canada 49611
Clark 84100
Howard 115000
Lloyd 119500
KML 70000
Paris 111000
Sami 50000
Stew 64538
Russell 41965 (minimum)
Zellous no idea; made $100k in NY; vet minimum $56k

Even assuming Zell got the minimum (highly unlikely) the total is about $880k for these 11 players, so, with a cap of $976300, no way Lang gets near the max.
It is hard for me to believe that KML has a guaranteed contract, and Zell's addition pushes her further down the roster. Unless the Storm can unload Paris, my guess is Howard is competing with KML for the last spot.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The salary cap does go up from last year's number (the one you've quoted). And even with your numbers there's upwards of 100k left for Lang - who signed long before Zellous, meaning Zellous may have had to take whatever was left. I'd call that pretty close to the max.

The Storm don't have any big cash issues. Outside of the ridiculous contract they gave Paris, they've been pretty well managed. Stewart comes off her rookie deal next year but Paris's deal runs out and they can finally cut Langhorne loose if necessary (and Bird has to retire at some point).

PostPosted: 04/14/19 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One season is blending into the next for me, so you’re right. Longhorne was cored last year, not this year. That doesn’t change the point I was trying to make. They’d rather wait until next year, when either Paris’ most likely guaranteed multi year contract is expired (they give guaranteed contracts to help lure a player to a team) and Langhorne’s contract also expires. They keep the championship formula roster intact as much as possible and they don’t have to cut Russell to add Magbegor and risk losing her to another team.
Langhorne not being cored means they had some cap flexibility before they signed her. I’m guessing they signed her for the same amount as Paris ($111K), possibly less especially if it’s on a guaranteed contract.
A good guess for what Zellous is making would be what Quinn made last year, which was $70K, which also happens to be what KML is reportedly making.

I’m pretty sure Loyd’s salary was a clerical error. I’m seeing no reason that any player should be making more than $117.5K

My guesses for SEA guaranteed contracts
Bird (cherished vet)
Loyd (cherished vet)
Clark (combination of cherished vet and cheap)
Paris (lure)
Zellous (lure)
KML (cheap)

A team is limited to 6 guaranteed contracts so maybe I’m off on one of these players. I’m also guessing you have to be in the league at least three years before you can get a guaranteed contract. I could see Langhorne being given a guaranteed to keep her in SEA, but maybe she likes it there so much she didn’t need one.

After being panned so much as a terrible GM when she was new, the SEA GM has done a good job getting players to sign for low end salaries. In hindsight she overpaid for Paris, but nobody’s perfect.

canadaball

PostPosted: 04/14/19 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The salary cap does go up from last year's number (the one you've quoted). And even with your numbers there's upwards of 100k left for Lang - who signed long before Zellous, meaning Zellous may have had to take whatever was left. I'd call that pretty close to the max.

The Storm don't have any big cash issues. Outside of the ridiculous contract they gave Paris, they've been pretty well managed. Stewart comes off her rookie deal next year but Paris's deal runs out and they can finally cut Langhorne loose if necessary (and Bird has to retire at some point).

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/1/5/18168635/wnba-free-agency-salary-cap-situation-tina-charles-maya -moore

This is source of my 2019 cap #. Key quote:
"According to Megdal’s database, the WNBA has a hard salary cap of $976,300 for 2019."

All I have done is add the salaries, and, even giving Zellous a veteran minimum (as noted highly unlikely), there was less than $100k for Lang, meaning she took a sugnificant (at least 10%) pay cut.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CBA is HERE

The Salary Cap is dealt with in Article VII.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's last year's cap. And while your first mistake would typically be believing anything involving the words "according to Megdal", it's more just that that writer can't read a spreadsheet. The 976,300 figure is in the 2018 column on every page.

It's not like Seattle's situation has changed much from last year. Everyone's on the same stuff, plus the small increments, with Zellous replacing Quinn's 70k and Lang probably taking a little less.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's last year's cap. And while your first mistake would typically be believing anything involving the words "according to Megdal", it's more just that that writer can't read a spreadsheet. The 976,300 figure is in the 2018 column on every page.

It's not like Seattle's situation has changed much from last year. Everyone's on the same stuff, plus the small increments, with Zellous replacing Quinn's 70k and Lang probably taking a little less.

I am well aware that the salary cap changes year to year by adding $12000, and adjusting up or down using the complicated "growth factor". It is quite possible that the 2018 growth factor resulted in no change for 2019, thus I have no reason to doubt the stated info. If u are aware of different intelligence, please post.
Seattle's situation changed significantly from last year b/c Lloyd's salary increased by about $58k (hardly a "small increment"), thus the necessity to cut Lang's salary, and, if you assign $70k to Zell, Crystal took a large pay cut.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair point on Loyd, that's my own fault for glossing over the numbers in Megdal's sheet, which has her wrongly listed as on the max last year.

As for the rest of it, if you wanna trust a combination of SwishAppeal and Howard Megdal, you go right ahead.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He’s got Loyd making max in 2018, which is weird. If she can make max in her fourth year, why not Stewart? Maybe they can make max in their fourth year if they sign an early multi year extension. I think that’s what happened with Diggins. You’d think Stewart would do the same if this were the case.

Anyway, the way it looks in 2019 according to the mdb:
$779,249 for 9 players (took out $2K for the Loyd typo)
....70,000 Zellous (est)
.....42,000 Russell (est)
$891,249 Difference between cap and this number left over for Langhorne

I’m guessing actual team cap is around $990K.
They also have that no-overseas bonus to play around with.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/14/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I’m guessing actual team cap is around $990K.
They also have that no-overseas bonus to play around with.

Don 't you think that has been reserved for Bird anyway.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Storm right now:

PG: Bird/Canada
SG: Loyd/Whitcomb/Miller
SF: Clark/Zellous/Mosqueda-Lewis/Howard/Muldrow
PF: Stewart/Langhorne
C: Howard/Paris/Russell

No word if Tokashiki is returning?

If Stewie's injury is as bad as it looked, or even close, they would probably really like to have Tok back.
I'm kinda rooting for Muldrow to make the team, and I guess her chances went up a bit, but it's pretty unlikely. She's really an undersized 4 rather than a 3.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: