RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/22/19 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That would be 12 for SEA. Oddly constructed roster.

Canada/(Bird)
Loyd/Whitcomb/Zellous
Clark/KLM
Langhorne/AHoward
NHoward/Russell/Paris

Get Paris in that trade portal. Eh, nobody’s gonna touch her.
Has Clark been in camp?

Can Whitcomb play some point?

Clark and Whitcomb were in the french finals. And yes Sami can play some minutes at point but thats not ideal

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/22/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyd can pretend to be a pg 10 minutes a night if need be.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/24/19 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@DougFeinberg wrote:
AP Source: @WNBA to pay @breannastewart as an ambassador for the league since @seattlestorm suspended her to free up roster spot. League will pay Stewart in excess of her $65,000 base salary she would have earned this year

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1131794711356723200

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/24/19 2:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
@DougFeinberg wrote:
AP Source: @WNBA to pay @breannastewart as an ambassador for the league since @seattlestorm suspended her to free up roster spot. League will pay Stewart in excess of her $65,000 base salary she would have earned this year

Very good move.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm won't have Clark or Whitcomb for their opener tomorrow. Looks like they'll just have 9 to start.

Canada
Loyd/Zellous
KLM?/AHoward
Langhorne
NHoward/Russell/Paris

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
@DougFeinberg wrote:

Seems like the league bent a little under the public outcry over Stewart getting hurt while “needing to play overseas”. Are they going to take care of everybody who gets hurt playing overseas or just Stewart? Players could take issue with that. Teams could take issue with SEA getting favorable treatment. SEA could have made the choice to pay Stewart on their own, kinda like when CON paid Chiney when she was out the whole season in 2015 when they didn’t have to.

Maybe the league should just have an insurance policy for all the players that get hurt playing overseas. Such a policy shouldn’t cost all that much given the level of salaries. But I suppose such a policy would encourage more players to go overseas?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/24/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would assume Stewart has to do something to earn her money -- probably promotional appearances. It reminds me of when the WNBA got started and the league had separate contracts with three players: Leslie, Swoopes, and Lobo. Their job was to promote the league above and beyond their responsibilities as players. It also looked like a ruse to avoid the salary cap, but I suppose it's OK at the league level. In theory, it's for the benefit of everybody.

PostPosted: 05/24/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
@DougFeinberg wrote:

Bizarre.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/24/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice that Seattle can suspend her while she still gets paid

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1131900053038219264

Quote:
Just an example: @angel_35 is working to return from ACL last August, but it's not a certainty she'll make it back. She's longtime face of @AtlantaDream franchise and an Olympian; was there a thought she could be paid ambassador, too, during rehab?

PostPosted: 05/24/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Key difference that Stewart got injured overseas while playing for someone else, whereas McCoughtry got hurt while playing for her WNBA team under her WNBA contract. Stewart is therefore unable to provide the services required under her WNBA contract and gets suspended. McCoughtry, on the other hand, is still Atlanta's problem because it happened while she was playing for them - so cut her or keep her.

The 'ambassador' thing is a strange move, but a separate issue. And an odd precedent to set going into CBA negotiations.

PostPosted: 05/24/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Key difference that Stewart got injured overseas while playing for someone else, whereas McCoughtry got hurt while playing for her WNBA team under her WNBA contract. Stewart is therefore unable to provide the services required under her WNBA contract and gets suspended. McCoughtry, on the other hand, is still Atlanta's problem because it happened while she was playing for them - so cut her or keep her.

The 'ambassador' thing is a strange move, but a separate issue. And an odd precedent to set going into CBA negotiations.

Isn't it also that if you get her playing for your WNBA team and you can't play they still have to pay you?

While if you get hurt overseas and can't play they do not have to pay you.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chong was in seattle, i thought maybe she at least signed a 10day or something, but i have seen no mention of it.

craigmont

PostPosted: 05/24/19 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Storm won't have Clark or Whitcomb for their opener tomorrow. Looks like they'll just have 9 to start.

Canada
Loyd/Zellous
KLM?/AHoward
Langhorne
NHoward/Russell/Paris

Holy crap. Getting pretty tired of this second-fiddle league.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/24/19 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
@DougFeinberg wrote:

Seems like the league bent a little under the public outcry over Stewart getting hurt while “needing to play overseas”. Are they going to take care of everybody who gets hurt playing overseas or just Stewart? Players could take issue with that. Teams could take issue with SEA getting favorable treatment. SEA could have made the choice to pay Stewart on their own, kinda like when CON paid Chiney when she was out the whole season in 2015 when they didn’t have to.

Maybe the league should just have an insurance policy for all the players that get hurt playing overseas. Such a policy shouldn’t cost all that much given the level of salaries. But I suppose such a policy would encourage more players to go overseas?

I'm happy Stewie will get some funds...however, I was just about to ask..
Has the league now set a precedent for the next high profile player who gets injured, and is out of the season, or this because Stewie's situation was being splattered all over in the media?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/24/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Has the league now set a precedent for the next high profile player who gets injured, and is out of the season, or this because Stewie's situation was being splattered all over in the media?

Well this'll be the last time it happens under the current CBA. They may well address the concept specifically in the next one, removing whatever ambiguity this has created.

PostPosted: 05/29/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unlike her weak approach to Phoenix obviously tanking the season in 2012, Voepel is being a bulldog about this ambassadorship thing. She wants more answers. The league (still headed up by Mark Tatum in interim) seems to have acted on impulse and wasn’t prepared for the pushback on something they felt would be well-received.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/26842302/wnba-misses-mark-lack-answers-breanna-stewart-ambassador-role

Quote:
But both Tatum and Colas say that nothing had even been discussed about Stewart working for the league until after she already had been suspended by Seattle.

"The league has sworn Seattle knew nothing about it," Las Vegas Aces coach Bill Laimbeer said. "Because we, like the other teams, called up and tried to figure that out. No one told us in advance, so when it came out, it was like, 'What the heck is this?'

"With great players like Stewie in this situation, the question is do you pay her even though she's out, or do you suspend her with no money? If they knew it was coming, it made their decision easier to suspend her, because she'll get paid by the league and they could use that money on someone else. We all asked the same question. Because it's kind of unusual to make the decision to suspend your franchise player. Normally you pay them." (unless you’re Curt Miller, or to some degree, Cheryl Reeve)

Colas said the Storm were willing to pay Stewart for the season, even though they weren't mandated to since her injury occurred while working for another employer. Colas said it was Stewart's decision to tell the Storm they should suspend her without pay and use the money on another player to help the franchise.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/29/19 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Well this'll be the last time it happens under the current CBA. They may well address the concept specifically in the next one, removing whatever ambiguity this has created.

If I was the union, I wouldn't like a system where certain players arbitrarily get extra cash thrown at them outside of the CBA and others don't. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what collective bargaining is about.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Stewie herself doesn't know what her job entails, it's clearly obvious that the league screwed up with this one.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

If I was the union, I wouldn't like a system where certain players arbitrarily get extra cash thrown at them outside of the CBA and others don't. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what collective bargaining is about.

But assuming that everything happened in the order that they're claiming - Seattle made all their decisions first without any knowledge of this 'ambassador' role - I kinda get it. You want the WNBA to hire whoever they can who will most benefit the league. Whether that's the best accountant, best lawyer, best president or best tea-lady, bring in the people you can find who'll help your performance and growth the most. So if your MVP is sat there earning $0 and you think you'll benefit from employing her to make public appearances or coach in schools or whatever the hell else this ends up entailing, then why not? If there's a side-benefit of limiting her feelings of "I get hurt halfway across the world and these guys stop paying me after I won them a title!" then you don't say that, but it's ultimately good for the league as well.

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The news leaked the same day rosters were finalized. It's easy to see why people are skeptical that it was not even discussed until she'd already been suspended. That would mean it went from not even being an idea to a completed deal in just a couple of hours, at most. When has the W ever done anything that quickly?

PostPosted: 05/29/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NEW YORK, May 15, 2019 – Cathy Engelbert, current CEO of Deloitte and the first woman ever to lead a Big Four professional services firm in the U.S, has been appointed Commissioner of the WNBA, it was announced today by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

Just wondering if the new WNBA commissioner might have come up with the ambassadorship idea.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/29/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart said that she told the Storm to suspend her so thatthey could bring an extra player. I believe her 100%. Sounds completely like something she would do.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/19 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Stewart said that she told the Storm to suspend her so thatthey could bring an extra player. I believe her 100%. Sounds completely like something she would do.

Especially if she knew the league was going to pay her anyway

PostPosted: 05/29/19 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Especially if she knew the league was going to pay her anyway

Even if she didnt know..

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/30/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird had her surgery on tuesday. If she misses 12 weeks then she will return with 6 games left in the season and hopefully the playoffs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: