RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Video of WCBB in 1904

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:36 pm    ::: Video of WCBB in 1904 Reply Reply with quote

https://www.loc.gov/item/00563635/

Stever posted this video on March 13, 2005, and it prompted my 10th post on this board, but the Library of Congress URL address has changed. I relocated it, and post it again for a new generation. We had a discussion about what the backboards were made of, if anything. I now think I know the answer.
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching this, it reminds me of the Iowa-style girls basketball, where some girls were always on offense and some girls were always on defense. It also appears that the referee put the ball up for a jump after every point.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/12/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also was curious about back boards some time ago so I did some research. They were originally make out of chicken wire. The purpose was not to create a back board who's purpose is what we know it as today, but to stop fan interference.

Games were often played in doors where the hoop was attached to a second story balcony where the fans sat. The fans would often try to interfere so that was the reason for the chicken wire. For safety reason in 1904 wood became manditory since fans would still try to hit the chicken wire to effect the ball and often got their fingers caught. I would suppose playing out doors as they did in this film it wouldn't matter. Interestingly enough it was as early as 1909 that Glass backboards came into being.

In most of the early movies of games the chicken wire does not show up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks. I didn't realize they had videos of my time playing.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

refs have sucked for a long time.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I believe in the early history of sports they used to just pull fans out of the stands to ref. That legacy still impacts sports. While the sports have advanced exponentially the r officiating has always lagged behind. For example in the NFL they still use part time officials. Good officiating is very important to sport. However it is still seen as secondary. Officials should not be ex players or just the best of a mediocre lot. They should be targeted at an early level for the necessary skills. It should be a vocation that is strived for not just some secondary choice. They should be paid as much as the players in the sport the officiate.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/30/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I believe in the early history of sports they used to just pull fans out of the stands to ref. That legacy still impacts sports. While the sports have advanced exponentially the r officiating has always lagged behind. For example in the NFL they still use part time officials. Good officiating is very important to sport. However it is still seen as secondary. Officials should not be ex players or just the best of a mediocre lot. They should be targeted at an early level for the necessary skills. It should be a vocation that is strived for not just some secondary choice. They should be paid as much as the players in the sport the officiate.

Great points, but the problem is the pool of available officials is much smaller than that of available athletes, in part because of the unwarranted abuse officials take from people who've never read a rule book or blown a whistle.

I would venture to say that at least 75% of the people who demand or want better officiating have never done so themselves -- but that's where it starts. We need more candidates to choose from, plain and simple. (And as I've said too many times, if you've haven't officiated, if you haven't tried to make the sport better, then don't complain about the refs. Put up or shut up, in more direct terms.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: