RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breakthrough player
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/08/18 11:37 am    ::: Breakthrough player Reply Reply with quote

Which player has a chance to make the most surprising impact this year?

Stanford fans, I wanna hear from you. Tara always seems to have someone that she coaches up as the years go on.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/10/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiana could have been break through last year but it's hard to tell yet. I will let you know after a couple Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since all 5 starters for ND are proven, I'd have to go to the bench for a "breakthrough" and I'll go with one of the two sophomores (just not sure which one yet):

Vaughn was playing very well prior to her ACL injury last year, so if she gets healthy, look for her to be a force off the bench.

Patterson had a bit of "deer in headlights" syndrome last year as a freshman, but judging by how she reportedly played on the European trip, she's over that (as the saying goes "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores). She should get some more playing time coming off the bench. Last year you could see her athleticism. She just wasn't ready mentally for the college game yet.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Since all 5 starters for ND are proven, I'd have to go to the bench for a "breakthrough" and I'll go with one of the two sophomores (just not sure which one yet):

Vaughn was playing very well prior to her ACL injury last year, so if she gets healthy, look for her to be a force off the bench.

Patterson had a bit of "deer in headlights" syndrome last year as a freshman, but judging by how she reportedly played on the European trip, she's over that (as the saying goes "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores). She should get some more playing time coming off the bench. Last year you could see her athleticism. She just wasn't ready mentally for the college game yet.

Of course Biebel, you use ND....HA. I was thinking more of a breakthrough player on the national scene, who could be an AA at the end of the season. Sort of like Napheesa Collier in 2017 and Marie Gulich last year.

However, I guess I'm the same way, because I think Meghan Walker could have a breakout year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At JMU, we're hoping that redshirt sophomore and transfer Jackie Benitez, who shot the lights out for Siena her freshman year (and had knee surgery during her mandatory sit-out year) will do good things for us. We're also hoping that RS junior (senior?) center Debra Ferguson will finally be fit to play and will make a big impact under the basket.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how our young posts do now that Johnson has graduated. Dodson and Fingall will both see time and I expect one of them to take over the starters role. They're both a bit undersized, but that's the way it is. [and I hope Tara has had them working on their FT shooting! Actually the whole team was pretty pathetic from the line last year.]. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the highly touted Jenna Brown fits in since Williams and Sniezak would appear to be our backcourt starters. Oh, yes, with McPhee also gone, Carrington will be getting a bigger role. She has IMO showed a lot of promise so maybe she is the one who will make a big step forward.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/11/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I look for Sabally at Oregon to be such a player. With Hebert at the post and Ionescu at the wing. I think Sabally is that third weapon.

In Corvallis, I think BearKiller KMac could be a player who transcends her game: she'll compliment the Beaver perimeter attack but at 6"2 she can do so much more.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kennedy Burke

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I look for Sabally at Oregon to be such a player. With Hebert at the post and Ionescu at the wing. I think Sabally is that third weapon.

In Corvallis, I think BearKiller KMac could be a player who transcends her game: she'll compliment the Beaver perimeter attack but at 6"2 she can do so much more.

Since little Sabally is supposedly 'better' than big sis, maybe will see a lineup with both Saballys at Ore.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buffalo's Cierra Dillard will be occasionally mistaken for Arike Ogunbowale and will compete for third team AA.
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/12/18 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Buffalo's Cierra Dillard will be occasionally mistaken for Arike Ogunbowale and will compete for third team AA.

I watched her play in Albany last year in the S16. Good player. Little help. Will put up huge numbers this year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Since little Sabally is supposedly 'better' than big sis, maybe will see a lineup with both Saballys at Ore.

I heard the younger Sabally tore her ACL -- and that Oregon is now down to seven players.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I heard the younger Sabally tore her ACL -- and that Oregon is now down to seven players.

oops. who else is gone? I assume their starters would be Hebard, Boley, Sabally, Ionescu, and Cazorla, with Gildon the first post off the bench. McGwire's defection is really going to hurt them. I don't know what, if anything they have benchwise in the backcourt.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

oops. who else is gone? I assume their starters would be Hebard, Boley, Sabally, Ionescu, and Cazorla, with Gildon the first post off the bench. McGwire's defection is really going to hurt them. I don't know what, if anything they have benchwise in the backcourt.

Apparently a couple players on the roster are medically unable to play, though I don't know many details. And I could be wrong ...

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

You can't win a NC with only 7 players!

Oh yeah. But Notre Dame started out with MORE than 7 scholarship players and just suffered attrition as the season progressed. Starting with only 7 would be much crazier.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/12/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always like what Lydia Giomi brought to the team defensively for the Ducks. Of course Greaves does not value defense as much as offense. Where they will have a problem is at the guard position. They only have 4 listed on their roster. Of course perhaps they can still arrange for a ND type immediate transfer eligibility waiver. Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/12/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I always like what Lydia Giomi brought to the team defensively for the Ducks. Of course Greaves does not value defense as much as offense. Where they will have a problem is at the guard position. They only have 4 listed on their roster. Of course perhaps they can still arrange for a ND type immediate transfer eligibility waiver. Very Happy

Giomi is still young. She'll see more time this year, especially with McGwire gone. They better hope their Freshman guard is as good as or better than advertised. Still curious who is out and if it's going to be for the whole year or a few weeks.

I looked for anything on the younger Sabally. She got injured early in the U18 tournament in August but then came back and played and was named MVP. So if its an ACL it happened after that.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I looked for anything on the younger Sabally. She got injured early in the U18 tournament in August but then came back and played and was named MVP. So if its an ACL it happened after that.

That seems probable, but you can play with a torn ACL. Rosalind Ross played her entire Oklahoma career with one. Tragically, she was murdered by her girlfriend in 2010. Jessica Moore of UConn tore her ACL in the second half of the 2004 NC game but continued playing until the end.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping Evina Westbrook has a breakout year for Tenn. She was fairly poised as a freshman, and should be even better with a year's experience under her belt.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/13/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am going with Duke's Leaonna Odom.

Odom averaged 9.6 ppg and 6.3 rpg last year, while shooting 53 percent from the floor, as the default power forward (though she also played some three). She still needs to improve her free throw shooting (59.7 percent) and overall range.

But if you watched the NCAA Tournament, you saw Odom's potential. She averaged 20.5 points and 6.5 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field in wins over Belmont and Georgia.

And in the Sweet 16 against UConn, she was able to create from the high post, use some mid-range jumpers or just getting to the basket, to score with a good amount of eases. Against the Huskies, she scored 22 points (9-of-17 from the floor), led the team with eight rebounds, and also added four assists and one steal.

These games (the three NCAAT games) have been the only games where Odom has scored 20 or more points.

With Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell gone, Odom now becomes the focal point of the offense.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/13/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think that Alanna Smith from Stanford has really broken through yet. Yeah, she's been an important piece for the Cardinal, but given that she's on the Australian National Team, you would think that she'd find a way to elevate her game at the college level. It will be interesting to see how she does when she's paired with more of an offensive threat in the post this year instead of Kaylee Johnson (I love Kaylee). Kaylee was huge for Stanford on defense, so this year is going to be interesting on a few levels.

For Denver, I'm not sure about eligibility but the arrival of Courtney Smith could be huge from UNC -- but Denver plays a much more balanced style than the Bears.

For South Dakota? Ciara Duffy will return to lead this squad alongside Allison Arens -- but as Madison McKeever goes, so will the Yotes. This is an extremely young team that will probably struggle somewhat.

For the Buffaloes? Yes, we all know about Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson -- but Mya Hollingshead is the future of the Buffaloes and she will need to step up if they want to make any noise.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/13/18 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

With Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell gone, Odom now becomes the focal point of the offense.

...and the defense. But I agree she looks like a very nice player. Hopefully there's enough around her to help out.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 09/13/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtlicious, do you EVER check your PM box?? Laughing

PostPosted: 09/13/18 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(dup)

PostPosted: 09/14/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I am going with Duke's Leaonna Odom.

Odom averaged 9.6 ppg and 6.3 rpg last year, while shooting 53 percent from the floor, as the default power forward (though she also played some three). She still needs to improve her free throw shooting (59.7 percent) and overall range.

But if you watched the NCAA Tournament, you saw Odom's potential. She averaged 20.5 points and 6.5 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field in wins over Belmont and Georgia.

And in the Sweet 16 against UConn, she was able to create from the high post, use some mid-range jumpers or just getting to the basket, to score with a good amount of eases. Against the Huskies, she scored 22 points (9-of-17 from the floor), led the team with eight rebounds, and also added four assists and one steal.

These games (the three NCAAT games) have been the only games where Odom has scored 20 or more points.

Cam, while I was watching that game I thought, how is this kid not averaging 20ppg? She's good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: