RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke's Coach P is Back, Excited for 2018-19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/06/18 12:19 pm    ::: Duke's Coach P is Back, Excited for 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

Coach P is Back, Excited for 2018-19
Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
Release: 09/06/2018

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211770684&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Great article about Duke Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie, health and recovery from kidney complications, her time off, and her rejuvenation!

Quote:
Let’s go back to last November. McCallie is a melanoma survivor and as such closely monitors her health.

Tests showed what McCallie calls “kidney complications, based on my numbers. I had tests run and it was an ‘uh oh’ moment. These don’t look right. I got scared.”

The kidney dysfunction is not cancer and is not believed to be related to her melanoma. Neither dialysis nor surgery is on the horizon and McCallie aims to keep it that way.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/06/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a result of her medical condition, Coach P took two months (May and June) off, relinquishing control to her staff and trusting them to not only do their jobs but also her job for this period of time.

Quote:
Coach P emphasizes that letters and calls from friends and fans helped in that renewal.

“The community of Durham, including Duke, was wonderful. To see all these wonderful people who wrote me letters. I could never have guessed the outpouring of support I received. Sometimes, you think you’re on an island, all alone. But you’re not. The community was incredible.”

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/06/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And while the kidney issues loom in the background, Coach P stated, "The numbers have gotten better. I’m not concerned now.”

Quote:
Reducing stress has to be a priority, developing and trusting coping mechanisms.

“There’s always a way to do things better,” McCallie acknowledges. “This has been coming on a couple of years. I think I’ve got a grip on that. It’s a definite priority to be more faithful in trusting the process and worry less about things you can’t control. I know it’s a hard concept, one that people try to do every day. But it has to be done.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: