RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:00 pm    ::: Phoenix Mercury 2019 Reply Reply with quote

So close... Shocked

The Mercury Championship window is still wide open, so who should they add? Question

The world wonders.. Exclamation

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix's window is open, until Diana Taurasi decides she's done. "Wide" open is a stretch.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

January was more important to the Mercury than most thought she would be this year. It's also not clear how much longer she will play. Obviously a starting PF would be nice.

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's slightly open. I was so passionate about this series because I thought it was the last shot Diana had. Seattle is only going to get stronger. Phoenix needs a huge pickup in free agency and it NEEDS to be another scoring threat.

I also have a gut feeling we are going to get a surprise from either Griner or Diana taking the year off.

Phoenix has a chance if the big three are back and healthy, January is still in the picture and an impact pickup is made. Will all that happen? Stay tuned.

Also, I'm all in on Cunningham to Phoenix. I don't care if nobody agrees Wink

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
January was more important to the Mercury than most thought she would be this year. It's also not clear how much longer she will play. Obviously a starting PF would be nice.

Yes please. Really..really important.

A few more shooters too off the bench. (Although Talbot and Turner absolutely should be used more.)

Not sure how I feel about Sandy. She was wonderful in the playoffs, but ridiculous at times during the regular season. The playoffs soften my feelings a lot, but maybe our team is not as exhausted against Seattle if we straighten things out in the regular season.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Phoenix's window is open, until Diana Taurasi decides she's done. "Wide" open is a stretch.

Perhaps so... But in the off-season, Diana looked like she might be trending down due to age, and a 31-year old Bonner looked like she might not recover so quickly after giving birth... And in 2018, they put all that to rest. So that brings PHO back up to 3 superstars as the backbone to the team, which makes the Title chances look wide open for PHO to me, at least... Shocked

That said, just a few injuries had a strong effect, so adding to their depth or another starter should be a good move Idea

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I think it's slightly open. I was so passionate about this series because I thought it was the last shot Diana had. Seattle is only going to get stronger. Phoenix needs a huge pickup in free agency and it NEEDS to be another scoring threat.

I also have a gut feeling we are going to get a surprise from either Griner or Diana taking the year off.

Phoenix has a chance if the big three are back and healthy, January is still in the picture and an impact pickup is made. Will all that happen? Stay tuned.

I don’t think Taurasi or Brit will skip a year THIS season.

My gut says though, Brit does after Diana retires. She’s made it a point to say that “Diana retires when she does..” well...

I’m concerned about the Window for the Storm too, but at the same time..it’s obvious they need Bird..who is just as old as DT.

Would like to get a really good post pickup, a shooter (to go with Talbot and Turner).. it have to rely on DT SO much, and get a few byes, so we don’t have to win the single elimination game tournament. IMO, part of the reason we lost was Phoenix finally got tired.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I don’t think Taurasi or Brit will skip a year THIS season.

My gut says though, Brit does after Diana retires. She’s made it a point to say that “Diana retires when she does..” well...

I’m concerned about the Window for the Storm too, but at the same time..it’s obvious they need Bird..who is just as old as DT.

Would like to get a really good post pickup, a shooter (to go with Talbot and Turner).. it have to rely on DT SO much, and get a few byes, so we don’t have to win the single elimination game tournament. IMO, part of the reason we lost was Phoenix finally got tired.

What's your ideal draft for #8 and #13. In a perfect yet realistic world? Mine is probably Collier dropping to 8 and Cunningham dropping to 13. I didn't emphasis realistic when I thought that through though haha.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Find a starting PF
2. Deepen the bench.
3. Find a legit back-up for Griner.

Can they get a PF in the draft at #8? Magbegor?

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Turner
SF: Bonner/Talbot/Musina?
PF: Magbegor/Peters
C: Griner/???

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

What's your ideal draft for #8 and #13. In a perfect yet realistic world? Mine is probably Collier dropping to 8 and Cunningham dropping to 13. I didn't emphasis realistic when I thought that through though haha.

I want to give up the draft picks to get a vet. We aren’t in a rebuild, and Sandy doesn’t like younger players.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

DT retired from overseas play so i dont think she is going to sit out anymore wnba seasons. If i was the mercury i would go after Meesseman.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a full plan just some brain storming
Draft 1
#8 Magbegor #13 Laska

draft 2
#8 B. Turner #13 Mabrey

draft 3
#8 Cunningham #13 Gustafason if she can play PF

draft trades
#8 for Harrison
#8 for Copper (If Bonner is shifted to the starting PF spot)
#8 for Dupree (OK been there done that but could probably of helped this series)
#8 and C. Little (she used to play for Agler in Seattle) for Lavender
#8 for Hamby or Coffey
#8 maybe for S. Johnson if she plays over seas and proves to be healthy
#13 for Zahui B.

Maybe Sandy can entice O'Hea to sign on after the Worlds

Bring back Musina
or Cannon she probably could have contributed this series, why did they cut her in the first place?

Christmas might a good fit if she is an UFA

Ironically Glory Johnson would probably be the perfect fit.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anigwe might be a good fit for Phoenix, depending on her senior season at Cal. Not that it really matters, but she's from Phoenix ...

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They might have to do something about the Bonner/Dupree situation, given the noises those two were making earlier this season. I mean it could work out fine for Phoenix without doing anything - Bonner re-signs with them, Dupree skips the WNBA season to stay around her and the kids, Mercury don't lose a thing. But if both really want to play but only on the same team, or it's Bonner who looks like she might not play if they're not on the same squad, or whatever other awkward scenario, then Phoenix might have to do something. Whether that's trading Bonner, or accepting the need to reacquire Dupree, or whatever, it could mean a move.

Meanwhile, it amuses me how many people seem to think Magbegor is the answer to their problems, likely without ever having seen her play. At least wait until you see a couple of games at Worlds before anointing her as a top-8 pick.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Sancho Lytle not signed for next year?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Is Sancho Lytle not signed for next year?

Not according to the Megdal spreadsheet FWIW. However, ACL recovery and age suggest she may not play in the WNBA next year, if ever.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Is Sancho Lyttle not signed for next year?

Not according to the Megdal spreadsheet FWIW. However, ACL recovery and age suggest she may not play in the WNBA next year, if ever.

Okay, Dr Clay.... Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Meanwhile, it amuses me how many people seem to think Magbegor is the answer to their problems, likely without ever having seen her play. At least wait until you see a couple of games at Worlds before anointing her as a top-8 pick.

It's Musina all over again. Sure, it bodes well for their future that these players can beat-up kids their own age. However, it doesn't mean they can make a major impact against adults. Remember, Salvadores and Zandalasinii were youth tournament stars before them. Neither is yet an impact professional. These young players may very well turn out to be really good down the road, but if teams are looking for immediate help they're probably not the answer.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It's Musina all over again. Sure, it bodes well for their future that these players can beat-up kids their own age. However, it doesn't mean they can make a major impact against adults. Remember, Salvadores and Zandalasinii were youth tournament stars before them. Neither is yet an impact professional. These young players may very well turn out to be really good down the road, but if teams are looking for immediate help they're probably not the answer.

Zandalasini also tore up last year's EuroBasket. She's not just a youth wonder.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
We aren’t in a rebuild, and Sandy doesn’t like younger players.

She likes certain young players, you know, like from a strange far-off land... kinda like Talbot. Young players that Brondello can use her time coaching in the WNBA to polish into shiny Opals. Cool

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They might have to do something about the Bonner/Dupree situation, given the noises those two were making earlier this season.

are they both signed overseas? To different teams?
Anyway, you would think that Indy would trade her back for something like Gulich and their 1st round pick if Phoenix really wanted her back.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

These young players may very well turn out to be really good down the road, but if teams are looking for immediate help they're probably not the answer.

Well it’s the #8 pick and PHX has a decent squad. Which prospect that may be available at #8 are you anticipating would be immediately impactful to PHX?

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Zandalasini also tore up last year's EuroBasket. She's not just a youth wonder.

You're kind of making my point. Zandalisini did that at age 21, and only after that tournament did she get signed. Cecilia went undrafted at age 20. There's a big difference between being selected #8 and being undrafted. Magbegor is currently 19 years old. She just put up 6.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg in the Australian League (WNBL). Ezi has to improve a lot before she can be helpful to a WNBA team. And notice that I intentionally left out Vadeeva. She was actually playing significant minutes and making an impact against adults when she was only 18. So, the speculation about her WNBA prospects was legitimate.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
They might have to do something about the Bonner/Dupree situation, given the noises those two were making earlier this season.

are they both signed overseas? To different teams?
Anyway, you would think that Indy would trade her back for something like Gulich and their 1st round pick if Phoenix really wanted her back.

Who knows, maybe playing on different teams worked out better for them than they both anticipated. Sure seemed to work out great for Bonner. She had maybe her best season playing in Dupree’s position. She does DuPree better than DuPree.

Last edited by Shades on 09/05/18 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone confirmed that Dee is not going overseas? Last I heard was a half year contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: