Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/23/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Carson to be out 6-8 weeks. Have to imagine if Taurasi is going to be out for a few more weeks, they'll ask for a hardship exemption. Maybe they bring back Arica Carter?

If that's their response then I might have to ask for a hardship exemption.

PostPosted: 07/23/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Carson to be out 6-8 weeks. Have to imagine if Taurasi is going to be out for a few more weeks, they'll ask for a hardship exemption. Maybe they bring back Arica Carter?

If that's their response then I might have to ask for a hardship exemption.

For the GM?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/23/19 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan. This has been an underwhelming year so far.

Also I'm just joking around. But I don't think Carter is an ideal Carson replacement.

PostPosted: 07/23/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, someone who vaguely resembles a wing would make more sense to me. They've already got two point guards (even if they do like to play them together), plus Turner as a ballhandler and Taurasi if she ever makes it back again.

Someone like Jo Leedham would actually be a great fit for Phoenix, but I'm not sure she's interested any more and would presumably require a new work visa and all that crap. But someone along those lines who's actually American.

PostPosted: 07/23/19 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anriel Howard?
Bridget Carleton?
Emma Cannon?
Teana Muldrow?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/23/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Also I'm just joking around. But I don't think Carter is an ideal Carson replacement.

Honestly was hoping they'd be around .500. No DT for half the season, that was what we were told. Didn't expect them to be any better.

PostPosted: 07/23/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Honestly was hoping they'd be around .500. No DT for half the season, that was what we were told. Didn't expect them to be any better.

Interesting. You really didn’t expect them to be any better? We’re constantly told Bonner and Griner are both MVP candidate caliber, and the team stockpiles vets.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/24/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

via the Mercury's Facebook page, the team will play at Veterans Memorial Coliseum for the 2020 season.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/24/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
via the Mercury's Facebook page, the team will play at Veterans Memorial Coliseum for the 2020 season.

As far as alternative arenas go, that seems pretty good

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/phoenix-mercury-announce-the-return-of-pro-basketball-to-veterans-memorial-coliseum-for-2020-season/

PostPosted: 07/25/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

In my opinion, there were better options than the Coliseum. This one will be a challenge to get to just based on the location and the way the streets intersect in the area.It is nuts during rush hour with all the people trying to get home from work in the area.Your only option is to park near there or catch the bus which can be two or more buses depending on where you will be coming from. will be a task as well. There might be quite a distance to walk if you park off site. It is not in the best area either. Unfortunately, ASU where they played in the playoffs is not available because it will be in the process of renovation.The other option was GCU. GCU is not in the best area either but the campus is gated which makes it secure. In Spite of what other people have stated on other platforms, GCU arena has plenty of seating for Mercury fans and would be much easier to get to transportation wise( I think they went away from this option due to the large amount of support of the LGBT community and GCU being a private Christian university as to not have any type of conflict). They also could have played at Gila River Arena which is in suburban Phoenix and easily accessible via the freeway.

I think them playing at the Coliseum was more Sarver being cheap!!! The State of Arizona who owns the fairgrounds and Coliseum let them use it for hardly nothing in exchange for them for funding fixing up the place. There is no way that Suns He knows good and well that he would not have the Suns play there. The fans would not tolerate going to 48 games there either!!!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/25/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Interesting. You really didn’t expect them to be any better? We’re constantly told Bonner and Griner are both MVP candidate caliber, and the team stockpiles vets.

Nope. Rebounding and passing was going to be an issue. Likewise, Griner hasn’t made the jump to dominant player, and I like Bonner but find her to be inconsistent.

Diana can make the team jump from “meh” to possible championship contender if she’s in top form, but without her they can just stay above water.

PostPosted: 07/25/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/phoenix-mercury-announce-the-return-of-pro-basketball-to-veterans-memorial-coliseum-for-2020-season/

shontay33 wrote:
In my opinion, there were better options than the Coliseum. This one will be a challenge to get to just based on the location and the way the streets intersect in the area.It is nuts during rush hour with all the people trying to get home from work in the area.Your only option is to park near there or catch the bus which can be two or more buses depending on where you will be coming from. will be a task as well. There might be quite a distance to walk if you park off site. It is not in the best area either. Unfortunately, ASU where they played in the playoffs is not available because it will be in the process of renovation.

As you noted, ASU is not available because of its own renovations.

shontay33 wrote:
The other option was GCU. GCU is not in the best area either but the campus is gated which makes it secure. In Spite of what other people have stated on other platforms, GCU arena has plenty of seating for Mercury fans and would be much easier to get to transportation wise( I think they went away from this option due to the large amount of support of the LGBT community and GCU being a private Christian university as to not have any type of conflict).

GCU is a private Christian university. While GCU now offers same-sex marriage employee benefits, its statement was very clear about why it was doing so and what the university believes:

For the reasons articulated in this statement, in this specific instance, GCU is making a conscious choice to maintain its religious beliefs, while respecting and honoring its neighbors, as well as the system of government and laws that exist today, by extending employee benefits to spouses of lawfully married same-sex couples. To be clear, though, the University’s decision in this instance, and the recent changes, or any future changes, in the government’s definition of marriage, do not, and will not, change GCU’s sincerely held religious belief that marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman.
https://news.gcu.edu/2015/11/same-sex-marriage-employee-benefits-2/

As a result, the optics would not have been great -- especially with the most high profile player in the league, Diana Taurasi, being in a same-sex marriage (to say nothing of DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner, who also are/were married to same-sex partners).

As for your statement that "GCU arena has plenty of seating for Mercury fans," this is not accurate.

GCU only holds 7,000 in its basketball venue. From 2014 and onward, the Mercury have averaged at least 9500 fans per game; from 2015 and onward, Phoenix has averaged over 9900 fans per contest.

The Suns played at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, beginning in 1968 (their inaugural season) and through 1992, until they moved into what is now known as Talking Stick Resort Arena. Veterans Memorial Coliseum's seating capacity for basketball was about 14,500 during the Suns' final season of play there -- double the capacity of GCU's arena.

And while the exact seating capacity for the Mercury's 17 regular-season home games at the Coliseum has not yet been established, it will be at least 10,000 per game.

shontay33 wrote:
They also could have played at Gila River Arena which is in suburban Phoenix and easily accessible via the freeway.

I cannot understand your argument about traffic for the Coliseum, but your statement about the ease of accessibility at Gila River. That arena is right off the 101. When attempting to get to Cardinals and Coyotes games, as well as concerts, the freeway is at a standstill, because there are basically only two exits that put you right there. Couple the fact that games will be starting in/around rush hour, not to mention how it is completely on the far West Side (as opposed to Talking Stick -- downtown -- and the Coliseum -- near West Side, still part of "Central" Phoenix), it is geographically undesirable to have games there. Travel time for any person living in the East Valley is doubled each way, as an example.

As Mercury COO Vincent Kozar stated:
"Part of the decision being fan-centric, in addition to not being in multiple places, they’re used to driving to central Phoenix," Kozar said. "We wanted from the very outset our fans to feel like we thought about them, and we did."

shontay33 wrote:
I think them playing at the Coliseum was more Sarver being cheap!!! The State of Arizona who owns the fairgrounds and Coliseum let them use it for hardly nothing in exchange for them for funding fixing up the place. There is no way that Suns He knows good and well that he would not have the Suns play there. The fans would not tolerate going to 48 games there either!!!

Sarver being cheap? Robert Sarver may be many things, but I fail to see how this is anything other than a smart business decision.

Talking Stick Resort Arena is undergoing renovations, while will cause the Mercury to relocate for 2020 and possibly 2021.

Below are facts/universal truths:
--- Each NBA team has 41 regular season home games per season.
--- The Phoenix Suns averaged approximately 17,00 fans per game for much of the last decade, until last season, when the team averaged 15,293 per game.
--- Phoenix Suns tickets are exponentially more expensive than Phoenix Mercury tickets -- whether per game, per season, etc.

Moving the Phoenix Suns there would have resulted in a significant drop in revenue, even if the Coliseum delivered on 14,500 fans per game. With the Phoenix Mercury at the Coliseum, there is a chance that attendance stays the same and the financial impact is not nearly as great (if at all).

As for Sarver, keep in mind that as part of the Suns' deal with the City of Phoenix to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena for $230 million, Robert Sarver agreed to privately finance a practice facility within the Phoenix city limits.

The $25-$50 million practice facility will be located in Arcadia (44th Street and Camelback) and will be used by both the Suns and the Mercury. It will include offices, private health and training amenities and basketball courts (two courts) for coaches, players, and trainers. Groundbreaking is set this summer.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/25/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"To have ownership and management say, 'Spend what you need to spend within reason to make this possible,' that made this a no-brainer." #Mercury COO Vince Kozar

https://twitter.com/jeffmetcalfe/status/1154397425622118402

shontay33

PostPosted: 07/26/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

shontay33 wrote:
In my opinion, there were better options than the Coliseum. This one will be a challenge to get to just based on the location and the way the streets intersect in the area.It is nuts during rush hour with all the people trying to get home from work in the area.Your only option is to park near there or catch the bus which can be two or more buses depending on where you will be coming from. will be a task as well. There might be quite a distance to walk if you park off site. It is not in the best area either. Unfortunately, ASU where they played in the playoffs is not available because it will be in the process of renovation.

As you noted, ASU is not available because of its own renovations.

shontay33 wrote:
The other option was GCU. GCU is not in the best area either but the campus is gated which makes it secure. In Spite of what other people have stated on other platforms, GCU arena has plenty of seating for Mercury fans and would be much easier to get to transportation wise( I think they went away from this option due to the large amount of support of the LGBT community and GCU being a private Christian university as to not have any type of conflict).

GCU is a private Christian university. While GCU now offers same-sex marriage employee benefits, its statement was very clear about why it was doing so and what the university believes:

For the reasons articulated in this statement, in this specific instance, GCU is making a conscious choice to maintain its religious beliefs, while respecting and honoring its neighbors, as well as the system of government and laws that exist today, by extending employee benefits to spouses of lawfully married same-sex couples. To be clear, though, the University’s decision in this instance, and the recent changes, or any future changes, in the government’s definition of marriage, do not, and will not, change GCU’s sincerely held religious belief that marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman.
https://news.gcu.edu/2015/11/same-sex-marriage-employee-benefits-2/

As a result, the optics would not have been great -- especially with the most high profile player in the league, Diana Taurasi, being in a same-sex marriage (to say nothing of DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner, who also are/were married to same-sex partners).

As for your statement that "GCU arena has plenty of seating for Mercury fans," this is not accurate.

GCU only holds 7,000 in its basketball venue. From 2014 and onward, the Mercury have averaged at least 9500 fans per game; from 2015 and onward, Phoenix has averaged over 9900 fans per contest.

The Suns played at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, beginning in 1968 (their inaugural season) and through 1992, until they moved into what is now known as Talking Stick Resort Arena. Veterans Memorial Coliseum's seating capacity for basketball was about 14,500 during the Suns' final season of play there -- double the capacity of GCU's arena.

And while the exact seating capacity for the Mercury's 17 regular-season home games at the Coliseum has not yet been established, it will be at least 10,000 per game.

shontay33 wrote:
They also could have played at Gila River Arena which is in suburban Phoenix and easily accessible via the freeway.

I cannot understand your argument about traffic for the Coliseum, but your statement about the ease of accessibility at Gila River. That arena is right off the 101. When attempting to get to Cardinals and Coyotes games, as well as concerts, the freeway is at a standstill, because there are basically only two exits that put you right there. Couple the fact that games will be starting in/around rush hour, not to mention how it is completely on the far West Side (as opposed to Talking Stick -- downtown -- and the Coliseum -- near West Side, still part of "Central" Phoenix), it is geographically undesirable to have games there. Travel time for any person living in the East Valley is doubled each way, as an example.

As Mercury COO Vincent Kozar stated:
"Part of the decision being fan-centric, in addition to not being in multiple places, they’re used to driving to central Phoenix," Kozar said. "We wanted from the very outset our fans to feel like we thought about them, and we did."

shontay33 wrote:

Sarver being cheap? Robert Sarver may be many things, but I fail to see how this is anything other than a smart business decision.

Talking Stick Resort Arena is undergoing renovations, while will cause the Mercury to relocate for 2020 and possibly 2021.

--- The Phoenix Suns averaged approximately 17,00 fans per game for much of the last decade, until last season, when the team averaged 15,293 per game.
--- Phoenix Suns tickets are exponentially more expensive than Phoenix Mercury tickets -- whether per game, per season, etc.

Moving the Phoenix Suns there would have resulted in a significant drop in revenue, even if the Coliseum delivered on 14,500 fans per game. With the Phoenix Mercury at the Coliseum, there is a chance that attendance stays the same and the financial impact is not nearly as great (if at all).

As for Sarver, keep in mind that as part of the Suns' deal with the City of Phoenix to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena for $230 million, Robert Sarver agreed to privately finance a practice facility within the Phoenix city limits.

The $25-$50 million practice facility will be located in Arcadia (44th Street and Camelback) and will be used by both the Suns and the Mercury. It will include offices, private health and training amenities and basketball courts (two courts) for coaches, players, and trainers. Groundbreaking is set this summer.

The Coliseum has cross streets of Grand Ave, 19th Ave, and McDowell road. If people are not familiar with the area, they are bound to get confused especially in rush hour traffic.

2. Gila River Arena is only bad when the Cardinals play due to 80,000 people trying to leave all at once. You have other options to get on Loop 101 in the area to get home if you live in Central Phoenix or the East Valley.

3. Since the West Valley does not have much of a sports scene in the summer that would have been another market for the Mercury organization to tap into. People would have definitely came out and supported.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 07/26/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The confusion of Grand, 19th Avenue, and McDowell Road can not be any more confusing than the one way streets downtown around TSRA. Plus, the Madhouse sits in the crook of the 17 and the 10 which gives people from all directions a better option. And it is not that far off the light rail. I wouldn't be opposed to using the light rail and taking Uber or Lyft (Mercury sponsor) from the rail to the arena.

I drive all over the valley as part of my job. I live on the east side and often work on the west. Going west at 5 pm to get to Glendale is not appealing at all and would get old very quickly with no other options. So I am very glad they are not going to be in Glendale and am obviously happy that the Madhouse was the decision.

I personally think it is going to be a really fun experience for most fans. Those who do not have fun will most likely be the ones with a pre-conceived idea that the Madhouse is awful.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/31/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

Phoenix Suns Owner Pays $10 Million For Land
Christina Estes (KJZZ)

When the Phoenix Suns made a deal with the city to renovate the Talking Stick Resort Arena, the team’s owner pledged to build a practice facility.

Suns’ owner Robert Sarver will pay more than $10 million in cash for the land, according to Vizzda commercial real estate database. Documents show the cash price paid by Suns Legacy Properties LLC to Camel Square, LLC was $10,327,100.00.

https://kjzz.org/content/1090011/phoenix-suns-owner-pays-10-million-land?fbclid=IwAR10phvc6svnYZ1DGiiJiwp8EVVLQbwL5bss7yT07JEZyaTOhozdkNaoiws

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury sign Asia Taylor to a 7-day contract. Alanna Smith is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/phoenix-mercury-signs-asia-taylor/

Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mercury sign Asia Taylor to a 7-day contract.

Booyah!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/06/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mercury sign Asia Taylor to a 7-day contract. Alanna Smith is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury.

I like Alanna so I won't estimate the probability of Taylor's 7 days providing 4-6 weeks worth of Smith production.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi has been activated

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-guard-diana-taurasi-medically-cleared-to-play/ Surprised
Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The part to remember.
Quote:
Taurasi will be activated and serve her one-game suspension on Tuesday, August 20 at Las Vegas and will be eligible to play in the Mercury’s next home game on Sunday, August 25.

And Arica Carter is released.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/26/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only thing the Mercury need to do is integrate Taurasi into the lineup before the playoffs -- but that will take some adjustment, both from her and the rest of the team.

She's going to struggle, the team's going to stutter, but getting back a great player -- even one past her prime -- can only make Phoenix better in the playoffs.

PostPosted: 08/26/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi has plenty of experience playing with Griner. It’ll be her main goal to get Griner more involved than she is already.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/30/19 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell now a lock for WNBA's Most Improved Player award?
Quote:
Mitchell has scored in double figures in 12 of the past 13 games and is averaging 13.8 points, up from 4.4 in 2018. Her assists are up from 2.3 pg to 4.1, rebounds from 1.4 to 3.3, field goal percentage from 35.1 to 45.7 and 3-point percentage from 34.1 to 45.0 (third-best in the league through Tuesday).

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Is Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell now a lock for WNBA's Most Improved Player award?
Quote:
Mitchell has scored in double figures in 12 of the past 13 games and is averaging 13.8 points, up from 4.4 in 2018. Her assists are up from 2.3 pg to 4.1, rebounds from 1.4 to 3.3, field goal percentage from 35.1 to 45.7 and 3-point percentage from 34.1 to 45.0 (third-best in the league through Tuesday).

It would be bizarre if she won the award, since she has already won it once before already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: