RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 04/26/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spouse coaching a spouse is an interesting dynamic for an organization. Sets a precedent for league. I wonder which team will be up to using spousal hiring to work out some pay issues and entice a player to stick around.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
R Williams would be a good pick up. It will give them another scoring option. Or the Mercury can wait to see if any teams release any vets during training camp.

I don't have all the numbers, but this is a vet-laden squad. I doubt you can afford a pick-up like that under the cap.

They may be able to make it happen especially since it is only for the first half of the season. I would think that DT will be on the suspended list since she won't be back until after all star break. Who knows, since Williams is not signed by any teams, she may at this point decide to take the veterans minimum considering that the Mercury are considered a contender.

None of that (bar Williams potentially signing for below market value) helps. Temporary suspensions - the kind that let you bring the player back that same season - keep the salary figure on the cap (and you can't do it just because someone's injured, anyway). And you have to have room for Player X's salary for the remainder of the season from when they sign, you can't just say "oh, we're going to cut her in a couple of weeks anyway".

And for what it's worth, I still think Williams is heading back to LA once they sort out their own cap situation.

PostPosted: 04/26/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Spouse coaching a spouse is an interesting dynamic for an organization. Sets a precedent for league. I wonder which team will be up to using spousal hiring to work out some pay issues and entice a player to stick around.

I've mentioned how potentially questionable this is in the past. If Taylor didn't have her own obvious credentials then the other teams and the League would be screaming about it. I don't think you'll see a rash of similar hirings because the League just wouldn't let teams get away with it. You better have a spouse/sibling/parent/whatever with significant basketball qualifications to try to pull it off.

PostPosted: 04/26/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:

I've mentioned how potentially questionable this is in the past. If Taylor didn't have her own obvious credentials then the other teams and the League would be screaming about it. I don't think you'll see a rash of similar hirings because the League just wouldn't let teams get away with it. You better have a spouse/sibling/parent/whatever with significant basketball qualifications to try to pull it off.

Not necessarily basketball credentials needed, though, for say, a front office job. What’s keeping Washington from giving EDD’s wife a nice, easy, well-paid FO position in something media relations or marketing or whatever related.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Not necessarily basketball credentials needed, though, for say, a front office job. What’s keeping Washington from giving EDD’s wife a nice, easy, well-paid FO position in something media relations or marketing or whatever related.

Nothing, as long as they could prove that she's qualified for the position, and being paid the standard going rate for whatever that position is. There's a bunch of stuff about circumvention in the CBA, most of which boils down to "don't try to cheat, because if we decide you have, you're screwed". And sometimes they push it a little beyond what might be fair - like Toliver being underpaid as an NBA assistant - in order to make it stay as far away from cheating as possible.

If Taurasi had signed a recent contract with the Mercury at below the max, and/or Taylor was being wildly overpaid for an inexperienced WNBA assistant, the League (and other teams) would be all over this very quickly.

PostPosted: 04/26/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're not allowed any "compensation or consideration of any kind or anything else of value to be paid, furnished or made available by, to, or for the benefit of the player, or any person or entity controlled by, related to, or acting with authority on behalf of the player."

PostPosted: 04/28/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PHX has some interesting things to highlight from the new updated salary database. They now include whether a contract is guaranteed or not.

As I suspected, Little’s contract is guaranteed and expires after this season.

The most shocking one I saw is January is signed to a 3 yr max guaranteed. Shocked Any chance they mixed her up with Bonner?

Speaking of Bonner, they have her down as taking a one year max deal guaranteed.

That sets up a possibly interesting dilemma next season with Griner and Bonner both being unrestricted. Bonner setting herself up with an escape hatch if she should want one?

Of course with the new CBA coming, I guess you shouldn’t worry about things you may no longer be able to control.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mb1

PostPosted: 04/30/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jen Gillom was named Player Development coach.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/01/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior Spotlight: Alanna Smith
(Interview)

Shades

PostPosted: 05/04/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury open training camp Sunday

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/3659159002

Quote:
“It’ll put the ball in my hand more,” January said of Taurasi being out until midseason.

Quote:
Others in camp are returners Stephanie Talbot, Camille Little and Leilani Mitchell. And newcomers Essence Carson (signed as an unrestricted free agent), Alanna Smith (first round draft pick), Brianna Turner (obtained in a draft day trade), Sophie Cunningham (second round pick), Arica Carter (third round pick), Alexis Peterson and Emese Hof.

Quote:
“I want to be more aggressive going to the rim,” she said. “My shoulder kept slipping out of the socket (last season) whenever there was contact. That made me hesitate. It was tough to play that way, but we made it work.”

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 05/04/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait.
She shot 47% from 3 last year, the best season of her career. And a busted shoulder.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/07/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Truth B. Told: Poet buys out upper level for Phoenix Mercury season opener

Quote:
Every now and then a Phoenix Suns player buys a few hundred tickets to distribute to Phoenix Mercury fans for a WNBA playoff game.

It’s a wonderful gesture, but not quite big enough for Christopher Owens, aka spoken word artist Truth B. Told, who recently purchased the entire 7,000-seat upper level at Talking Stick Resort Arena for the Mercury season opener May 31.

He is selling the tickets at a discount for $2-$5 through his company Culture Phx with a goal of having a sold-out arena for a nationally televised game against Las Vegas.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2019/05/07/truth-b-told-buys-out-upper-level-phoenix-mercury-season-opener/1125789001/

toad455

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Truth B. Told: Poet buys out upper level for Phoenix Mercury season opener

Quote:
Every now and then a Phoenix Suns player buys a few hundred tickets to distribute to Phoenix Mercury fans for a WNBA playoff game.

It’s a wonderful gesture, but not quite big enough for Christopher Owens, aka spoken word artist Truth B. Told, who recently purchased the entire 7,000-seat upper level at Talking Stick Resort Arena for the Mercury season opener May 31.

He is selling the tickets at a discount for $2-$5 through his company Culture Phx with a goal of having a sold-out arena for a nationally televised game against Las Vegas.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2019/05/07/truth-b-told-buys-out-upper-level-phoenix-mercury-season-opener/1125789001/

Wonder what he paid for the tickets? Why is he trying to break even? Will all 7,000 tickets actually be purchased?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Training camp/minimum contracts do not count against the cap until season starts and they make team.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any guesses as to who the first cuts will be? Carter?
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/09/19 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Any guesses as to who the first cuts will be? Carter?

Carter, Hof, and Peterson. But they can have 15 in camp so likely not until next week.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/09/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The interesting thing is, if you do the maths, they can't keep 12 unless one of the cuts is Lyttle, Carson or Mitchell (or they find someone who'll take Little off their hands). So I have them looking something like this (with obvious fluidity in places and questionable orders):

January/Mitchell
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner

That's 13. You either cut Lyttle, cut Carson, cut Mitchell, or cut two of the cheap group (Talbot, Y.Turner, B.Turner, Cunningham, Smith).

(all assuming Megdal's data is correct)

PostPosted: 05/09/19 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It can't all be correct. Bonner at $127,500?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/09/19 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
...and (E) for a player (x) with six (6) or more Years of Service designated as a Core Player for the fourth (4th) time in such player’s career (or the fifth (5th) time in such player’s career with respect to the Salary Cap Year beginning on January 1, 2014), the Maximum Player Salary pursuant to
7Article V, Section 8(a) plus an additional ten thousand dollars ($10,000)

PostPosted: 05/12/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yvonne Turner will report to camp on Monday. Somebody should get cut by then.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/12/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury rookies come up big in fourth quarter of preseason debut
(AzCentral article)

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 05/14/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Phoenix Mercury rookies come up big in fourth quarter of preseason debut
(AzCentral article)

articles like that make me wish there were more teams in the W!!

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/19 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The interesting thing is, if you do the maths, they can't keep 12 unless one of the cuts is Lyttle, Carson or Mitchell (or they find someone who'll take Little off their hands). So I have them looking something like this (with obvious fluidity in places and questionable orders):

January/Mitchell
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner

That's 13. You either cut Lyttle, cut Carson, cut Mitchell, or cut two of the cheap group (Talbot, Y.Turner, B.Turner, Cunningham, Smith).

pretty interesting stuff here. They will need to make a tough decision. Too bad they can't unload Little as part of the solution. If you're thinking about the future at all you want to keep Y. Turner, Cunningham, Smith, and probably B. Turner...but hard to do it with the current configuration.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/19 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

January/Mitchell
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner

pretty interesting stuff here. They will need to make a tough decision. Too bad they can't unload Little as part of the solution. If you're thinking about the future at all you want to keep Y. Turner, Cunningham, Smith, and probably B. Turner...but hard to do it with the current configuration.

I'm honestly not sure what they're going to do, to the extent that I wonder if I'm missing something. I could imagine, say, Cunningham being cut - she's a second-round pick, after all - but someone else off that cheap list as well seems a bit much. B.Turner and Smith were both first round picks this year, and Y.Turner and Talbot have both been useful pieces at times. But you don't normally sign vet free agents like Carson and Lyttle with any intention of cutting them, and Mitchell's shooting has proven important in the past (plus Taurasi's injury makes her more necessary early in the year). Assuming I'm right, whoever gets cut here is immediately going to be on the lists of options for other teams.

The move Phoenix would probably like to make, given the ugly numbers last year, is getting rid of Little's guaranteed money. But while I still think she has her uses as a smart, savvy vet, I don't know if anyone would want her on that contract.

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix has too many guards and no true backup for Griner. Mercury should make a trade for Lavender. Cunningham for Lavender straight up?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: