RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TotalCardinalMove



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 1163



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They re-signed Lyttle this offseason, though. That suggests to me that they're expecting her to be healthy enough to be on the roster, and contribute at some point this season. I don't know why you'd re-sign her otherwise. Also they actively made a move to get B.Turner, which usually gives you a leg up towards making the roster. GMs don't want to look like they gave something away for nothing.


Perhaps, but it was Gulich they gave up. A player that didn’t do much for them at all last season. So they essentially gave nothing away. If they are expecting Lyttle, that makes Turner even more expendable considering Bonner can play PF, and I think Talbot played some at that spot as well. I just don’t see why Cunningham wouldn’t make this roster, but if she doesn’t she’d be quickly snatched up by someone else.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8553
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And halfway through the season when Brondello hasn't played Cunningham and the Mercury give up and trade her for a bag of balls, maybe we'll find out just how good she can be. Wink

Although I do kinda see 13 players on the roster who might have a shot, so assuming they all show up, someone's getting cut (maybe two someones, considering there's a lot of vets):
Mitchell/January
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner


If this is the roster, B.Turner is the cut. Seems easy enough to me. But, I’m finding it hard to believe Lyttle will be available to play at all this season.


cut your only other center in favor of having 3 possibly 4 PF's when you move Bonner over seems a bit suspect.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
TotalCardinalMove



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 1163



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And halfway through the season when Brondello hasn't played Cunningham and the Mercury give up and trade her for a bag of balls, maybe we'll find out just how good she can be. Wink

Although I do kinda see 13 players on the roster who might have a shot, so assuming they all show up, someone's getting cut (maybe two someones, considering there's a lot of vets):
Mitchell/January
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner


If this is the roster, B.Turner is the cut. Seems easy enough to me. But, I’m finding it hard to believe Lyttle will be available to play at all this season.


cut your only other center in favor of having 3 possibly 4 PF's when you move Bonner over seems a bit suspect.


Believing Brianna Turner is a WNBA center seems even more suspect. They had their most success when Bonner was at the PF, why go away from that when you were a game away from the WNBA Finals?


sportsfan48



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 1187



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is going to be interesting to see what direction Phoenix goes. I would like to see them keep Cunningham, Smith, and Turner. I disagree that Sandy doesn't like to develop or play younger players. She just hasn't had many of them. But both V Young and Talbot are young (at least in WNBA experience and they have seen playing time at critical times). Emma Cannon was given a chance to prove herself as well. There are many teams out there who do play their youth over vets unless the youth is really, really good or there aren't much vets. There are only so many minutes.

Camille did do some things for us last year but not very consistently. She is still a better defender than people give her credit for. She held Stewie to next to nothing for a half when she ran out of gas and Stewie decided to play.

I was baffled about Lyttle's signing too. And I was pleasantly surprised at Bonner as our PF. She played some of the best basketball she has played for Phoenix. It will be interesting to see if that holds up once teams have a chance to figure out how to defend her at that position.

All of this gives Phoenix some flexibility.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6746
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 9:12 am    ::: Q & A with Cunningham Reply Reply with quote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2019/04/15/mercury-draft-pick-cunningham-has-attitudinal-edge-like-taurasi/3478253002/



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
potd41



Joined: 27 Nov 2004
Posts: 2683
Location: Mesa,AZ


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cunningham is no "cream puff". Like her a lot.



_________________
"The beast with the bun".
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15669
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury signed dutchie Emese Hof Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy super happy for her that she gets this experience and hopefully it helps her to geton a good overseas team Smile



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19867



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hof has the potential to make the final roster. The Mercury should try and dump Little (not easy).

PostPosted: 04/15/19 11:12 am :::
And halfway through the season when Brondello hasn't played Cunningham and the Mercury give up and trade her for a bag of balls, maybe we'll find out just how good she can be. Wink

Mitchell/January
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Turner/Smith
Griner/Hof

Last spot between Talbot and Cunningham.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21365
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hof has the potential to make the final roster.

Only in the same way that everyone around here always talks themselves into all these random training camp signings this time of year.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17863
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hof has the potential to make the final roster. The Mercury should try and dump Little (not easy).

Mitchell/January
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Turner/Smith
Griner/Hof

Last spot between Talbot and Cunningham.


This proposed roster already has 13 players, one more than the maximum.

Below is my proposed roster, assuming one of the Little/Lyttle contracts is not guaranteed:

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
W: Bonner/Carson/Talbot
PF: Lyttle/Smith
C: Griner/Turner


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25251



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I 've always liked Essence, but when you look at their roster, I'm wondering why they signed her. Looks like it will just prevent a younger up and coming player from making the team. I guess she provides a bit of comfort level for the coaches, knowing exactly what she can/can't do coming off the bench.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
sportsfan48



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 1187



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I received my season ticket packet today along with the requisite letter that explains how wonderful the Mercury will be this year. The letter summarized our season end playoff experience with Seattle and reaffirmed that feeling that the Mercury are right on the cusp of winning their 4 championship.

After a reminder of how wonderful our "Big Three" are and were last year, BG, DT, and DB, Pitman (Executive Vice President) discussed January, Lyttle, Carson, and Vonnie Turner. He stated that January had off season surgery on her shoulder that apparently nagged her all last season. He said she is fully healed now. He stated that Sancho "worked her way back to health". So we can expect her to be on the court.

They added Carson due to her ability to play multiple positions, her versatile defense, and her ability to shoot 3 pointers. They like the contributions of Vonnie in the playoffs and there was the unsaid message that they expect more of the same.

Last but not least he stated they expected to a add at least one impactful draft pick.

His comments on Lyttle definitely answered some questions. When Lyttle and Little were brought in together, I could see them being an effective "tag team" at the four and being able to spell each other off so they would not have to play lots of minutes. It worked pretty well as we were in first place when Lyttle went down. However, the rest of our season was, IMO, an example of how ineffective Little was overall.

This is my wish, currently, for our final roster:

January/Mitchell
DT/V.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Smith
Griner/Turner


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59296
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
I received my season ticket packet today along with the requisite letter that explains how wonderful the Mercury will be this year. The letter summarized our season end playoff experience with Seattle and reaffirmed that feeling that the Mercury are right on the cusp of winning their 4 championship.


With the injuries to Stewart and McCoughtry, the Merc are probably the favorites



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3415
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
I received my season ticket packet today along with the requisite letter that explains how wonderful the Mercury will be this year. The letter summarized our season end playoff experience with Seattle and reaffirmed that feeling that the Mercury are right on the cusp of winning their 4 championship.


With the injuries to Stewart and McCoughtry, the Merc are probably the favorites

True.



_________________
Sky Nation! We are in this together!
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5101
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington made it to the finals last year. They add back Meesseman, have Powers for the whole season, and Atkins can be expected to improve. I like what Phoenix did in the draft, but I would still make Washington the favorite. And with Dan Hughes winning a championship last year, it just feels like Mike Thibault is due.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21365
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Taurasi's about to turn 37. She had a bounce-back year last season after a couple of years where it looked like she was sliding down towards the end of her career, but can she be that good again? And if so, for how long? Griner's obviously a star but this team hasn't looked like any kind of title threat without Taurasi playing dominant basketball. If she drops off they're probably a playoff team but not much more.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9020



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree DC is also a contender and don't forget LA either. Unless they pay a Queen's ransom for Lizilla.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19867



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have Washington, Phoenix and Atlanta as the top favorites. Los Angeles could be the dark horse.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59296
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Washington made it to the finals last year. They add back Meesseman, have Powers for the whole season, and Atkins can be expected to improve. I like what Phoenix did in the draft, but I would still make Washington the favorite. And with Dan Hughes winning a championship last year, it just feels like Mike Thibault is due.


Yeah, but they're the Mystics. The one constant in the WNBA universe is that Washington will find a way to screw things up.



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1382
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Mystics are the favorites to take the #1 seed in the regular season but the Mercury are the favorites for the title.

I'm not so sure about LA. Connecticut might finally make waves.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5101
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Washington made it to the finals last year. They add back Meesseman, have Powers for the whole season, and Atkins can be expected to improve. I like what Phoenix did in the draft, but I would still make Washington the favorite. And with Dan Hughes winning a championship last year, it just feels like Mike Thibault is due.


Yeah, but they're the Mystics. The one constant in the WNBA universe is that Washington will find a way to screw things up.


Laughing To this day, I still get a chuckle every time I see them referred to as the Mystakes.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3415
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Agree DC is also a contender and don't forget LA either. Unless they pay a Queen's ransom for Lizilla.

True.



_________________
Sky Nation! We are in this together!
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1203



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/19 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what’s the status of Dupree and Bonner saying last season was the last summer they’d spend on different teams, even if it meant doing something drastic, because their family is more important to them than basketball?




Last edited by miller40 on 04/24/19 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18523



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also, Taurasi's about to turn 37. She had a bounce-back year last season after a couple of years where it looked like she was sliding down towards the end of her career, but can she be that good again? And if so, for how long? Griner's obviously a star but this team hasn't looked like any kind of title threat without Taurasi playing dominant basketball. If she drops off they're probably a playoff team but not much more.


I think not playing overseas last year did a lot for her, and it’s likely to be beneficial again. Bird had a similar trajectory.

Obviously Father Time will get them both eventually, but they are now playing on well rested and bodies - that have been taken care of.

Griner takes pressure off of her too.

So if there is a dip, I don’t think it will be a big one.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8553
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/highposthoops.com/2019/04/24/phoenix-mercury-gm-jim-pitman-on-why-his-team-can-win-the-2019-wnba-championship/amp/




Quote:
Are the Mercury planning to make any additions to the coaching staff for this season to replace Todd Troxel (who was dismissed in January following assault charges stemming from a domestic dispute with fiancee) or supplement what you have in place?

“We are and we’re very close to announcing that, we’re just not quite there yet, we’re just hammering out some final details and there will be an announcement on that in the coming days
.”



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin