Mercury
40%
 40%  [ 19 ]
Storm
59%
 59%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 47

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:17 pm    ::: Mercury💯 @ Storm⛈ - 9/04/18 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Semifinals Game 5
Seattle, WA - 10:00 PM ET

TV: ESPNews, NBA TV

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watch

Game page:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20180904/PHOSEA/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://m.espn.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=401074464

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll wait to vote until I know Bird is playing or not.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

What do you predict under both scenarios? I’m curious to get an outside perspective.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

She’s playing so vote NOW

RP

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In winner-take-all games...

Sue Bird with a mask: 2-0
Sue Bird without a mask: 0-8

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

What’s Taurasi’s record without a mask?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/02/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She’s playing so vote NOW

Bird plays, Seattle wins. I think if they had Bird for all of game 3, Seattle would have won. Hughes had to resort using Quinn by default. Canada is still to erratic at times, having the vet being able to close out the game would have made the difference.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/02/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don’t know.

I said way back against Dallas, that Diana looks like she thinks her team can win a championship. I don’t think she loses often in that scenario. Add too it that BG got her groove back, DB is playing like superwoman..and we’ve found some matchup advantages as the series has gone on (Turner on Bird, Little with the physical defense on Stewie. Plus, you would think we’d get Talbot back soon. AND Sandy has been much quicker to react and go with what’s working during the playoffs, than she was during the season.)

On the other side, Sue Bird, Stewie, and Loyd exist. The defense on Taurasi has been exceptional, and it’s on Seattle’s home court.

Hard to pick. A few “never” records are going to get broken though.

I would go, 70% Seattle likely win, 30% Phoenix.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least if we win we are already at home, the extra day of travel can slow a team down.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
RP wrote:

What’s Taurasi’s record without a mask?

Point made. Looks like I missed a masked Bird in 2005 and 2006, bringing the win-loss to 2-2 (0-6 without) and not as much fun. Real stat here is that Bird is 0-8 in this type of situation since 2004.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/03/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't have espn news... Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/03/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't watched either team much this season, but the Merc certainly looked to me like the much better team the last two games. Their Big 3 look unstoppable, they've dominated the fourth quarter in every game, they seem to have the momentum, and they may have broken the Storm's mojo psychologically.
mercfan

PostPosted: 09/03/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only edge I see with Seattle is them being at home. The Mercury have picked them apart this series and it could very easily be over right now with how games one and two ended.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/03/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
The only edge I see with Seattle is them being at home. The Mercury have picked them apart this series and it could very easily be over right now with how games one and two ended.

Yes you can mention the ending of the games and the picking apart in that quarter. But saying that the Mercury have picked them apart in this series is giving a lot of credit to the Mercury and not enough to the Storm.
You can also look at it from a different angle and that is that Storm went up big in almost every game (19 point lead, 17 point lead etc.)
The Storm have been ahead almost all the time and have been the better TEAM IMO. So can they finish a game this time? I think they can if Bird can plays her normal minutes and isnt bothered too much by the mask.

The Mercury 3 have been great but can Bonner be great in 5 games in a row or will she have an off night> We have to atleast contain 1 of their big 3. that's for sure.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/03/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
i don't have espn news... Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Tell me about it. I have been missing a chunk of the semi-finals because ESPN has decided to broadcast games on a channel that no one watches. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/03/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird to play in face mask after suffering broken nose

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24569401/storm-sue-bird-play-face-mask-suffering-broken-nose

Quote:
"I got all the tests done earlier today, like a CT scan, that showed nothing more than a broken nose, which is the good news," Bird said after practicing Monday wearing the mask. "Obviously there are other concerns they have to go down the list and check off. I didn't really feel concerned; I didn't have any other symptoms or pain from anything else. They just had to check that off, and once that was done, it's about wearing that mask and going from there."

PostPosted: 09/03/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Yes you can mention the ending of the games and the picking apart in that quarter. But saying that the Mercury have picked them apart in this series is giving a lot of credit to the Mercury and not enough to the Storm.
You can also look at it from a different angle and that is that Storm went up big in almost every game (19 point lead, 17 point lead etc.)
The Storm have been ahead almost all the time and have been the better TEAM IMO. So can they finish a game this time? I think they can if Bird can plays her normal minutes and isnt bothered too much by the mask.

The Mercury 3 have been great but can Bonner be great in 5 games in a row or will she have an off night> We have to atleast contain 1 of their big 3. that's for sure.

That’s all fair. The Storm have played great basketball. What I meant by picked apart is mostly that Seattle has completely crumbled every time they have had a big lead and the mercury have been resilient. There has been one game where one team has actually outplayed the other and it was game 3. Even when the storm have gone on a tear I have never felt that Phoenix was really out of it.

Now, everything changes if Loyd gets hers in game 5. I have always considered her the X factor and I will feel good about the Mercury chances if we can limit her. She’s the one matchup that the Storm can really take advantage of and haven’t since game 1. It was a great adjustment putting January on her but sometimes Jewel becomes unguardable.

Both of these teams have proven that they belong in the finals so it should be a great final matchup!

tfan

PostPosted: 09/03/18 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I haven't watched either team much this season, but the Merc certainly looked to me like the much better team the last two games. Their Big 3 look unstoppable, they've dominated the fourth quarter in every game, they seem to have the momentum, and they may have broken the Storm's mojo psychologically.

All 3 Phoenix stars have great size for their position that really comes in handy when the defense turns it up in the fourth quarter.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/04/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

My concern as well! Merc beat the Storm on the Merc's home floor and the same for the Storm. Keeping my hopes up for a Merc win but if the refs help it will be a Storm win.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
mercfan wrote:

My concern as well! Merc beat the Storm on the Merc's home floor and the same for the Storm. Keeping my hopes up for a Merc win but if the refs help it will be a Storm win.

Let’s hope for the sake of the league that the refs don’t have a major impact on either team. Is that too much to ask? Probably.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Let’s hope for the sake of the league that the refs don’t have a major impact on either team. Is that too much to ask? Probably.

Exactly . the refs always get the final say so . Been that way since 2016 now Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to decide but a win by Phoenix (which seems impossible to avoid anyway, as Taurasi simply can't lose in an elimination game) would give the winner of the ECF the home court advantage. So I might as well jump on the Mercury bandwagon for a day. (I'm already feeling sick.)

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Exactly . the refs always get the final say so . Been that way since 2016 now Rolling Eyes

Price should be reffing the Atlanta/Washington game. But that could mean we get Walker.

I’m still not sure which is worse.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tickets are being scalped on Ticketmaster for this game... I guess that's a good thing Shocked Twisted Evil

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Yep, it's all about the refs. The only team on the court that really matters ...

Coaching? Nah. Talent? Nope. Just refs. 40 minutes. All the time.

No need to comment on the game, just the refs.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: