RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hayes Dismissed from Tennessee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 08/31/18 2:49 pm    ::: Hayes Dismissed from Tennessee Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24533108/tennessee-lady-volunteers-dismiss-anastasia-hayes-violation-team-rules

What on Earth happened? Team rules seems too general.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/31/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll come out sooner or later.

PostPosted: 08/31/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/jdnumba3/status/1035564349849563139?s=21

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/31/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
https://twitter.com/jdnumba3/status/1035564349849563139?s=21

Link says page doesnt exist. But 1 thing does come to mind when i think "Hayes and dismissed" i will not speculate though i will wait to hear officially. What did the link say ?

PostPosted: 08/31/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why post links when they never work?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/31/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mom of dismissed Anastasia Hayes: Her 3 sisters won't be playing for Lady Vols

Quote:
Anastasia Hayes' talented three sisters will no longer be considering Tennessee after she was dismissed from the Lady Vols for "a violation of team rules."

Hayes' mother, Sherry, told the USA Today Network - Tennessee that her younger daughters Aislynn, Alasia and Acacia would no longer be considering the Lady Vols basketball program.

Quote:
Two years ago, the four Hayes sisters made headlines when all had offers from Tennessee.
LitePal

PostPosted: 08/31/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that he modified his tweet and completely deleted the one I posted. He said Hayes was already on a half year suspension and when the next violation occurred, there was little choice but to dismiss her.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/31/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The link to that tweet was definitely working earlier but given its nature I would have to await confirmation before repeating.

Hayes' parents, particularly the father, were vocal critics of CHW starting Westbrook last year when clearly Hayes was a better player and deserved the PT, according to them. The scuttlebutt on VN was that the situation was disruptive to the whole team. I think Hayes' dismissal is going to be addition by subtraction.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/01/18 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea of the facts, but this will be interesting to watch. She will be a huge get as a transfer with her sisters possibly in tow, but I wonder if this might be a Lavar Ball situation. Shame that she won't be able to play close to home (unless she wants to play at Middle Tennessee.)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/01/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn hitting speed dial repeatedly as we speak.

Hayes sisters, come on down. Razz

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/01/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the next Hayes kid just went on an official to Memphis. Would be cool to see them all end up at Memphis or Middle Tennessee. Curious if another SEC program will go after them...

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 09/02/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Dawn hitting speed dial repeatedly as we speak.

Hayes sisters, come on down. Razz

Very Happy Posted basically the same thing on the attrition thread. Everyone knows Dawn.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The link to that tweet was definitely working earlier but given its nature I would have to await confirmation before repeating.

Hayes' parents, particularly the father, were vocal critics of CHW starting Westbrook last year when clearly Hayes was a better player and deserved the PT, according to them. The scuttlebutt on VN was that the situation was disruptive to the whole team. I think Hayes' dismissal is going to be addition by subtraction.

That wouldn't surprise me. Parents these days can be extremely disruptive. Better they should keep their mouths shut and their fingers off the Tweet button.

IMO Hayes is a good player but lacks discipline. She has the potential to be a great player but has to be willing to submit herself to the coach. So long as Mom and Dad are on the scene making noises that's not likely to happen. Said coach needs to be strong enough to tell them to butt out. That rarely happens these days.

Also IMO Westbrook is the better player.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Hayes sisters would be a tremendous asset to ... Tina Thompson and Virginia Cavaliers!!

R-

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA conducts random tests which require student athletes to pee in a cup. There are clearly defined punishments for student athletes who fail these tests. After a certain number of failures, a student athlete becomes ineligible for NCAA competition.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
The NCAA conducts random tests which require student athletes to pee in a cup. There are clearly defined punishments for student athletes who fail these tests. After a certain number of failures, a student athlete becomes ineligible for NCAA competition.

Great.

Is this what happened with Hayes?

Source/link?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That since-deleted tweet mentioned earlier, and other tweets and the scuttlebutt on VN, mention that marijuana use was involved in "multiple violations" of team rules, so quite possibly it wasn't the only reason.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/04/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That since-deleted tweet mentioned earlier, and other tweets and the scuttlebutt on VN, mention that marijuana use was involved in "multiple violations" of team rules, so quite possibly it wasn't the only reason.

+1

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here's a question: What if a player smokes marijuana in a state where it's legal and then is tested in a state where it's not? How is that different than having a beer?

OK, you can say it's in whatever form the players sign, but why is marijuana worth being kicked off a team and alcohol not? Do Colorado and California schools have marijuana testing?

Marijuana apparently can be detected up to six months after smoking, so if a player transfers from a state where marijuana is legal and is not prohibited from enjoying it to a state where it is illegal and on the athlete form, does she get a drug-testing pass for six months (or however long it takes)?

Of course, to me banning marijuana is like banning alcohol -- either you ban both or neither.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So here's a question: What if a player smokes marijuana in a state where it's legal and then is tested in a state where it's not? How is that different than having a beer?

OK, you can say it's in whatever form the players sign, but why is marijuana worth being kicked off a team and alcohol not? Do Colorado and California schools have marijuana testing?

Marijuana apparently can be detected up to six months after smoking, so if a player transfers from a state where marijuana is legal and is not prohibited from enjoying it to a state where it is illegal and on the athlete form, does she get a drug-testing pass for six months (or however long it takes)?

Of course, to me banning marijuana is like banning alcohol -- either you ban both or neither.

But in this instance (and in most) it's about university athletic department and specific team rules...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are interesting differences between NCAA year-round tests, NCAA championship tests and a school-administered test.

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/topics/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

NCAA championships:

Quote:
The penalty for a positive test for a substance in the street drug class is withholding from competition for 50% of the season in all sports in which the student-athlete participates. A second positive test for a street drug results in the loss of a year of eligibility and withholding from participation for 365 days from the test.
(Marijuana is in their street drug class)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/05/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In any case, it's rarely if ever a one-time violation of the rules. It's almost always multiple.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler to not smoke pot in the first place, regardless of where you live or happen to attend school?
pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler to not smoke pot in the first place, regardless of where you live or happen to attend school?

Addiction isn't that simple

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If alcohol and marijuana are banned by the athletic dept or the specific team, and the student chooses to partake, then I would expect some punishment to be forthcoming regardless of state laws. Reportedly Hayes was already facing a 6 month suspension when another rule violation occurred, and that led to her dismissal from the team, although I have not seen any information as to which, if either, of those specific episodes were related to marijuana use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: