Storm
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Mercury
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 33

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/18 9:06 pm    ::: Storm⛈ @ Mercury💯 - 8/31/18 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Semifinals Game 3
Phoenix, AZ - 10:00 PM ET

TV: ESPNews, NBA TV simulcast

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watch

Game page:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20180831/SEAPHO/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://m.espn.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=401074461

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/29/18 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury will be rested a little and with the home court get a win here.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to see a Seattle sweep. I want this to go five games. I'm pretty sure all the pundits will be saying that this is the "true Finals".

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Semi should have been the Finals. Sad

Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I knew it would happen. Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I thought we didn't want a sweep in the finals

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

To some degree, yes. Having the Finals actually played in NBA arenas would look better on TV. I'm sure the league isn't thrilled two games will be played in college arenas with only 5k in attendance. But this series might be a sweep. I think a Storm-Mystics Finals (w/EDD) could go 5 games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

To some degree, yes. Having the Finals actually played in NBA arenas would look better on TV. I'm sure the league isn't thrilled two games will be played in college arenas with only 5k in attendance. But this series might be a sweep. I think a Storm-Mystics Finals (w/EDD) could go 5 games.

Ultimately I think it comes down to whether the games are close. It the de-facto WCF (Seattle v. Phoenix) is a sweep, but the ECF winner can pull off in win in Seattle they could see good crowds at home. The Mystics crowd actually looked pretty good on their earlier game because the arena was so small.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just playing along with Randy. I’m fine with whatever Final.

A part of me wishes to see the continued futility of Thibault. That’s like an old tradition that must continue, sorta like Thanksgiving. That, combined with not wanting to see Delle Donne rewarded so quickly for demanding out of CHI (after only 4 years service. Fowles did 7 excruciating years), makes WAS my least favorite remaining team. But it’s not a huge big deal for me on any outcome.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
A part of me wishes to see the continued futility of Thibault. That’s like an old tradition that must continue, sorta like Thanksgiving...

Hell yes, I'm here for that! The winningest coach in WNBA history, who has never won a championship, despite having spent much of his coaching career with great players (Charles, Delle Donne) or great collections of talent (Sales/Douglas/Whelan/McWilliams-Franklin). Let that tradition continue unto perpetuity!

Quote:
... That, combined with not wanting to see Delle Donne rewarded so quickly for demanding out of CHI (after only 4 years service. Fowles did 7 excruciating years), makes WAS my least favorite remaining team. But it’s not a huge big deal for me on any outcome.

You had me at "not wanting to see Delle Donne rewarded"

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
craigmont

PostPosted: 08/30/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm need to get one in Phoenix somehow. After games 1 & 2, I do not want to come back here for a Game 5.

canadaball

PostPosted: 08/30/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before going on to game 3, let's take a look at the wonderful game 2. Jordin Canada, defying my expectations based upon her body of W work, hit 5 for 5, including 2 three pointers. Watching her shots Tuesday, I still think she has a terrible release, and uses a cockeyed reverse rotation. It is no accident she is a sub 20% shooter. This kind of player can have a great game once in a while (remember even a broken clock is right twice a day), but if I'm Phx, I continue to go under screens and leave her open. Canada's greatest skill is her quickness, and no one on Phx can stay in front of her. Langhorne also amazed with 10 rebounds in just 14 minutes. Throughout her career, Lang has been a solid offensive player w/o much defense and rebounding. We have seen it before in many sports, where a star player on losing teams (prior to this year, Lang is 1-8 in playoff games, and had never won a series) finds herself, in the backside of her career, and gets in a backup position on a title contender. The coach's cliche is rebounding is all about effort and desire, so who knows; maybe Lang has seen the light. I had noted that Camille Little was buried at the bottom of the Phx bench. Coach Sandy tried everything possible in game 2, even using perpetual retread Dev Peters, before finally, in total desperation, going with Little, down 17 midway 4th q. Lo and behold, Little had a wonderful 10 minutes with hustle and defensive savvy/toughness. Camille has had a solid W career, including some great years in Seattle. I doubt it was conscious, but her appearance in game 2 represented probably the last chance she had to resurrect a pro career. Another game or two, or three like Tuesday and she just might be able to sign on somewhere for another year.
The core conundrum for Phx remains how to guard the Sea perimeter with just one quality defensive guard (January). In game 2, they switched assignments for Talbot and January. Loyd was held in check, but Bird's play sent Talbot to the bench. If we add Little to the mix, I still do not know what coach Sandy will do. DT must stay on Clark; she needs a defensive vacation, and can avoid foul trouble. Asking Bonner to guard Bird just is too much to ask. Check out the following clips to see what a Bird defender must do:
https://twitter.com/splitthepost/status/1034984871335145472 My best guess is that, at times, we will see Bonner on Loyd when Little enters game and takes Stew. One other point: Camille certainly earned her place in purgatory from a Phx braintrust that knows her well, and I will follow with interest to see if her game 2 showing was a one time thing.

Last edited by canadaball on 08/31/18 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was the Little the starter when they lost all those games a month or so ago?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Was the Little the starter when they lost all those games a month or so ago?

Yes. And we started playing well once we sat her.

PostPosted: 08/31/18 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its about matchups. Little is a better matchup defending Stewie then Bonner and Griner. Bonner cant defend her on the block and Griner cant defend her on the perimeter and off the dribble.

So play Little for 10-15 min and probably in the end of game 3 and move Bonner to the 3 spot and try to give her rest somewhere aswell.

Even if you put January on Bird. Pick& roll action between her and Stewart is impossible to guard without a good rotation or help defense. See example pick &pop 3pointers from stewie in game 1 and then the open layups against Talbot and at the end of the game against January. So we cant really blame Talbot for playing bad defense. Yes she made some mistakes ( going under a screen, and switching to Stewie instead of lock and trailing Bird) but everyone makes mistakes. Even Clark went under a Griner screen at the end of game and got a DT 3pointer in her face Laughing

Sue Bird s basketball IQ is unmatched

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/31/18 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Its about matchups. Little is a better matchup defending Stewie then Bonner and Griner. Bonner cant defend her on the block and Griner cant defend her on the perimeter and off the dribble.

So play Little for 10-15 min and probably in the end of game 3 and move Bonner to the 3 spot and try to give her rest somewhere aswell.

Even if you put January on Bird. Pick& roll action between her and Stewart is impossible to guard without a good rotation or help defense. See example pick &pop 3pointers from stewie in game 1 and then the open layups against Talbot and at the end of the game against January. So we cant really blame Talbot for playing bad defense. Yes she made some mistakes ( going under a screen, and switching to Stewie instead of lock and trailing Bird) but everyone makes mistakes. Even Clark went under a Griner screen at the end of game and got a DT 3pointer in her face Laughing

Sue Bird s basketball IQ is unmatched

Wouldn’t mind trying Talbot on Stewie, and Bonner on Bird too.

Little is a huge problem because she doesn’t spread the floor and she doesn’t rebound, something Talbot has been doing a lot of.

I think a major reason she came in and helped was because she was so much fresher than other players (poor Talbot and Bonner were clearly drained.) she also sets some great screens.

I’m not opposed to trying her for a few minutes, but it’s going to kill us offensively and on the glass. (In fact, we ended up losing the last game because we couldn’t rebound.)

PostPosted: 08/31/18 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Little is a huge problem because she doesn’t spread the floor and she doesn’t rebound, something Talbot has been doing a lot of.

Little used to spread the floor. She used to be Morgan Tuck before Morgan Tuck came around. I wonder what happened?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/31/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Little used to spread the floor. She used to be Morgan Tuck before Morgan Tuck came around. I wonder what happened?

I mean, she still takes threes. She just doesn’t make them so defenders don’t care.

The rebounding is a bigger issue. Talbot was fantastic on the boards until we got to Seattle. Now, I do think she slowed down from being tired (she wasn’t used to the extended minutes, so she more than anyone, would probably be exhausted), but she’s still much better than Little. I’m hoping the extra day off will return her to pre-Seattle form.

PostPosted: 08/31/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always felt that healthy teams win WNBA titles. The only team I remember breaking this rule was Indiana when they upset the Lynx w/o Katie Douglas. Detroit did manage to win w/o Cheryl Ford, but they added Taj. This year, it is amazing that the only healthy team in the league is Seattle. The Storm had the best regular season record; won as many road games as home; never lost 2 in a row; and have beaten Phx 4 of 5 (the only loss was first game of year when Howard was a bench player), yet watching Sea play the most important asset is that good health. Just imagine if the least heralded starter, Clark, got in foul trouble or banged her head. The next player up is KML, and it is frightening to imagine her trying to guard the players AC must defend (think 5 fouls in 10 minutes). On further thought, it is surprising that Clark is able to stay out of foul trouble while defending the likes of DT, Maya, Angel, Chelsea Gray and Tolliver. She cannot jump, and cannot shoot from beyond 5 feet, unless feet are set, but does show how intelligence (never takes bad shot; almost always makes good decisions) can mean much.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/31/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I have always felt that healthy teams win WNBA titles. The only team I remember breaking this rule was Indiana when they upset the Lynx w/o Katie Douglas. Detroit did manage to win w/o Cheryl Ford, but they added Taj. This year, it is amazing that the only healthy team in the league is Seattle. The Storm had the best regular season record; won as many road games as home; never lost 2 in a row; and have beaten Phx 4 of 5 (the only loss was first game of year when Howard was a bench player), yet watching Sea play the most important asset is that good health. Just imagine if the least heralded starter, Clark, got in foul trouble or banged her head. The next player up is KML, and it is frightening to imagine her trying to guard the players AC must defend (think 5 fouls in 10 minutes). On further thought, it is surprising that Clark is able to stay out of foul trouble while defending the likes of DT, Maya, Angel, Chelsea Gray and Tolliver. She cannot jump, and cannot shoot from beyond 5 feet, unless feet are set, but does show how intelligence (never takes bad shot; almost always makes good decisions) can mean much.

You are so right. Health is a factor often overlooked ...

Teams that have their five starters start 90% of the games, at whatever level, have a much better chance of fulfilling their potential than a team that misses a couple starters for a long time, and all starters for a short time.

It seems obvious, and it is, but for some reason, this simple fact gets passed over quite a bit.

PostPosted: 08/31/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie Talbot is out with a concussion

PostPosted: 08/31/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Ouch! Who gets the minutes, Little or Robinson?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/31/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That’s huge. And might be game, unless the big three are unstoppable and Seattle is subpar.

PostPosted: 08/31/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That'll do it. Seattle in four -- or maybe three.

Really a shame. Though Talbot isn't in the same category, that's the second starter lost by the Mercury, and no team is really deep enough to absorb that and win a title. And at the same time, EDD is likely well below par for the Mystics, and they needed her to be great.

Final Four:

Seattle: Healthy
Phoenix: Sancho Lyttle, Stephanie Talbot
Atlanta: Angel McCoughtry
Washington: EDD

Captain Obvious can speak now ...

PostPosted: 08/31/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Storm need to get one in Phoenix somehow. After games 1 & 2, I do not want to come back here for a Game 5.

Agreed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: