Atlanta Dream 2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/26/18 4:06 pm    ::: Atlanta Dream 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Randy

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little early aren't you? Watch this if your bored Captain.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHwVBirqD2s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, a little overreaction to the loss today... Sorry about that Razz

Basically, this reaction Part Deux:
Twisted Evil Arrow

"I'm taking the Warriors in 3"
    <iframe width="320" height="240" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3aonfyav3fI?start=42" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Charles Barkley doesn't like the Rockets chances after Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Premature ejaculation. That's what this thread is one game into a five game series.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G5eVz0RBTys?start=32" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least he didn't title it California Dream 2019 like the Vultures in the game thread.

Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Philips Arena has a new name

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/breaking-hawks-reach-arena-naming-rights-agreement-with-state-farm/ugmOWmhYSF8C0k1igJLmON/

Quote:
The Hawks and State Farm have reached an agreement on new naming rights for Philips Arena.

The deal will be for 20 years for the facility, which will be named State Farm Arena.

Grab your vial
toad455

PostPosted: 08/30/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Philips Arena has a new name

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/breaking-hawks-reach-arena-naming-rights-agreement-with-state-farm/ugmOWmhYSF8C0k1igJLmON/

Quote:
The Hawks and State Farm have reached an agreement on new naming rights for Philips Arena.

The deal will be for 20 years for the facility, which will be named State Farm Arena.

So will their new colors be khaki and red?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/30/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking forward to the team officially announcing their return to the Khakis Koliseum in 2019!

((finds some wood to knock on))

Randy

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would rather have GEICO (Gecko Arena) or Allstate (Mayhem Arena).

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I would rather have GEICO (Gecko Arena) or Allstate (Mayhem Arena).

One particular Georgia firm would've probably preferred Aflacarena, but there's no ducking the decision now.

Last edited by lethalweapon3 on 09/04/18 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 08/30/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/04/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yeah, a little overreaction to the loss today... Sorry about that Razz

Basically, this reaction Part Deux:
Twisted Evil Arrow

"I'm taking the Warriors in 3"
    <iframe width="320" height="240" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3aonfyav3fI?start=42" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Charles Barkley doesn't like the Rockets chances after Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals Laughing

Looks like my 'overreaction' wasn't such an overreaction at all... Confused

I was right! Shocked Idea

Well, it would be easy to say ATL would have won with Angel McCoughtry, but even without her, they still almost pulled it out! Exclamation

So what now? Who to add? In this era of the superteams, you can never have enough talent... Idea

Randy

PostPosted: 09/04/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First problem I see is that Angel may well not be present for much, if not all of next season. She has an ACL and MCL tear and as far as I know has not had surgery yet. Seems like an ACL is a year long deal after surgery by itself. Even if it is not that dire, chances are she misses a lot of games and isn't automatically the Angel of 2018.

So I think we need a 3. Sykes is too small to play 3 full time. Perhaps they could move Hayes there, though she is undersized to play that position full time as well. So first order of business would be to get a time machine, and never do the IMS trade, and draft DD with the lottery pick we used to have. Of course, now that I think of it, why not just go back in time to the Aces game and tell Angel not to dive for that loose ball.

Last edited by Randy on 09/04/18 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/04/18 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or even just keep Bria Holmes. Might be smoother coming back from pregnancy than blowing up a knee.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or even just keep Bria Holmes. Might be smoother coming back from pregnancy than blowing up a knee.

Pretty sure she is in Connecticut now

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Pretty sure she is in Connecticut now

Yeah, I was adding on to Randy's post, suggesting that going back and not making that trade might be useful at this point. Atlanta once again needs a wing with some size that they're actually willing to play.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, by the time the Dream pick, there will probably be some SFs available that would be reasonable to pick there.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

some possible SF draft options at #11 or in the 2nd round

Cunningham
M. Moore
Laska

Calhoun
Martin
Howard

some SF-ish free agents

Zellous
Christmas
Thorton
Currie

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thornton is reserved. I’m sure Dallas views her as a keeper.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Cunningham
M. Moore
Laska

Calhoun
Martin
Howard

some SF-ish free agents

Zellous
Christmas
Thorton
Currie

Thanks for coming up with some prospects for me to watch. Unless they get really lucky with a draft pick, I suspect a rookie would be more of a bench player than a starter. I think Zellous would be no more useful at the 3 than Hayes or Sykes. Isn't Christmas also be coming off an ACL? Leaves Currie - who has pretty much disappeared into the Mystics bench. Age her problem?

I'm thinking trade the 11 for Copper, Coffey or try to work a deal maybe for Gabby Williams (which probably takes a bit more than the 11).

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you guys are concerned that McCoughtry is either not going to return, or will return as a shadow of what she was, then you're not really in 'win now' mode, and shouldn't be trying to trade any draft picks, unless you can get back a 'can't-miss' type player. Maybe I didn't watch enough Sky games, but I don't really see Gabby Williams as fitting that description.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Generally, an ACL is a 12-month injury, though obviously younger athletes can recover more quickly than older ones.

With McCoughtry, I would think it's 12 months, and maybe longer until she's 100% -- but of course you never know. Still, it seems to me the Dream have to approach 2019 as though McCoughtry won't be available, and if she is, it's a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If McCoughtry misses most or all of 2019, y'all are definitely not in 'win now' mode.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
If you guys are concerned that McCoughtry is either not going to return, or will return as a shadow of what she was, then you're not really in 'win now' mode, and shouldn't be trying to trade any draft picks, unless you can get back a 'can't-miss' type player. Maybe I didn't watch enough Sky games, but I don't really see Gabby Williams as fitting that description.

Whether you or I think the Dream should not be in win now mode, the owners have always seemed like win-now types. Next year will be the first year back in Phillips Arena so I think they will want to win as much as possible. So draft picks may be seen as expendable.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Napheesa Collier should be gone by the time the dream pick, but I think she would be a good fit, could be used as a combo forward off the bench.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Works for me - can we trade up?

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feel bad for Angel, the year off seemed to rejuvenate her and then it sucks to get injured when you are so close to making the finals.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Feel bad for Angel, the year off seemed to rejuvenate her and then it sucks to get injured when you are so close to making the finals.

I feel bad for McCoughtry because this was the Dream's window: Seattle looks like they could be on the precipice of a dynasty, Connecticut and Washington are going to be around the top of the league for a while, and Las Vegas is going to be a monster in a few years. There was a one, maybe two-year window between when the old dynasties fell, and the new dynasties ascend. And, at full strength, Atlanta was good enough to win, but a rolling tackle sent those hopes up in smoke.

If the Dream ever win a championship (spoiler: they probably won't), it's probably not going to be until years after McCoughtry's tenure with them has ended, which hurts me in the soul that I don't even believe in.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

I feel bad for McCoughtry because this was the Dream's window: Seattle looks like they could be on the precipice of a dynasty, Connecticut and Washington are going to be around the top of the league for a while, and Las Vegas is going to be a monster in a few years. There was a one, maybe two-year window between when the old dynasties fell, and the new dynasties ascend. And, at full strength, Atlanta was good enough to win, but a rolling tackle sent those hopes up in smoke.

If the Dream ever win a championship (spoiler: they probably won't), it's probably not going to be until years after McCoughtry's tenure with them has ended, which hurts me in the soul that I don't even believe in.

I don't see it as bleak as you do. Bird won't play forever and who knows how the team does without her. Connecticut still doesn't have a franchise player. Everyone always assumes young players will keep improving but they often don't.

Washington's starting center is 32 and has a chronic condition. EDD has her own share of health issues. Toliver is also past 30 and Meesseman has international commitments. Mystics might be a volatile team over the next few years, I certainly wouldn't bet on them being around the top of the league consistently.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry may miss most or all of the 2019 season. In 2020, she'll be 33 (34 before the likely start of the semis, presuming the Dream even make it that far), and Breland will be 32. Atlanta's best hope rests in the fact that they will, "thanks" to McCoughtry's injury, likely be the best team in the league with zero Olympians, and therefore get the benefit of the full Olympic break.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ill go out on a limb and say Lori Ann will be ready by All star break if not before hand next season .

PostPosted: 09/07/18 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On that note, a Shondaland interview from a couple weeks ago. Among other reasons the interview is noteworthy, it's notable that Angel didn't appear to correct the (late February- late April 2019) prognosis mentioned by the interviewer.

https://www.shondaland.com/live/a22777069/angel-mccoughtry-interview/

Quote:
(posted 8/22/2018)
SL: You can’t play basketball for the next six to eight months. What will you do until you can get back on the court?

AM: I’m going to work on me. This is a good challenge. I want to do some basketball camps. I want to do some hosting, maybe some broadcasting and a little bit of acting. I’m in the process now of diving into [acting]. I think that I’m funny. I just think I want to have another hobby to express myself. I’ve always thought if [basketball] stopped right now, what am I going to do? I could never figure it out — now I have no choice but to.

(Don't) break a leg, Angel! Very Happy

Last edited by lethalweapon3 on 09/09/18 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/07/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly hope that true. LaChina said recently Angel had both ACL and MCL tears but no mention of how severe they are. I guess we will wait and see. Teams and players haven't been very forthcoming about the severity of injuries and how long they might be out and to a large extent you don't know that sort of thing anyway - every person and injury is different.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 09/07/18 9:27 pm    ::: Angel says that she is coming back and not retiring Reply Reply with quote

I have a family member that recently had knee surgery and is rehabing at the same facility as Angel. She says that she isn't retiring and will come back and play with the Dream.

So those of you worried that she is retiring. The words straight from her mouth is that she is not going anywhere.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/07/18 9:28 pm    ::: Re: Angel says that she is coming back and not retiring Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
I have a family member that recently had knee surgery and is rehabing at the same facility as Angel. She says that she isn't retiring and will come back and play with the Dream.

So those of you worried that she is retiring. The words straight from her mouth is that she is not going anywhere.

That's good news. Thanks for posting it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/08/18 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Cunningham
M. Moore
Laska

Calhoun
Martin
Howard

some SF-ish free agents

Zellous
Christmas
Thorton
Currie

Thanks for coming up with some prospects for me to watch. Unless they get really lucky with a draft pick, I suspect a rookie would be more of a bench player than a starter. I think Zellous would be no more useful at the 3 than Hayes or Sykes. Isn't Christmas also be coming off an ACL? Leaves Currie - who has pretty much disappeared into the Mystics bench. Age her problem?

I'm thinking trade the 11 for Copper, Coffey or try to work a deal maybe for Gabby Williams (which probably takes a bit more than the 11).

11 for Copper would be a good move

Montgomery/Bentley
Hayes/Sykes
Copper/(McCoughtry)
Breland/Billings
Williams/IMS

that is 10 spots

Copper could be a decent place holder for McCoughtry until she is up and running and then a bench of Bentley, Sykes and Copper on the perimeter is pretty strong athletically, scoring wise and defensively.

You still have Dietrick, Prince and Dantas as options.

And if you need some cheap waiver wire players you've got the usual suspects in the post R. Gray, Burdick, Bulgak, Lewis and on the perimeter Chong, Goodwyn, someone like Alston or Epps might take a step forward over seas, this might be a good fit for Cowling. You also have that Aussie guard from Baylor who was injured Wallace(?) in the pipeline.

If Angel comes back by August you could do a reverse of this season and get stronger as you make your way into the playoffs, even without Angel this is a top 6 team, with her who knows?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

You still have Dietrick, Prince and Dantas as options.

See that, Reeve? People have Dantas as a table scrap-level player. Pay attention!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/08/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone is different but for what it is worth...

Auburn receiver will hastings is back on the field tonight 5.5 months after tearing his acl.

PostPosted: 09/08/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well then keeping my fingers crossed for him Shocked

Randy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a new idea. Trade for K. Davis (if healthy) as long as we can get her cheap enough. Maybe pick 11 since a pick that low may not even make the team, and probably won't be a difference maker. Davis has her issues but I'm thinking this will be an opportunity for Angel to develop her mentoring skills. Smile

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/13/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today is Angel's surgery. She posted some pics on IG while waiting to go back.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/13/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck Angel.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1040321621238665216

Quote:
surgery was a success!

Grab your vial
Randy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to hear it went well! I hope someone brings her a pint of her apple pie ice cream.

Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 09/13/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more bit of news. Coach Collen wrote a letter to fans today. She said "the core of our team is under contract...." for next season. While not terribly surprising, it is good news. I figure the "core" is probably everyone except Dantas, Dietrick and Prince. Dantas would be a RFA, while the rights to the other two would belong to the Dream, assuming they want them back. The Dream may or may not want Dantas back but I perhaps they could do a sign and trade. So Dantas for K. Davis anyone?

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/13/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
One more bit of news. Coach Collen wrote a letter to fans today. She said "the core of our team is under contract...." for next season. While not terribly surprising, it is good news. I figure the "core" is probably everyone except Dantas, Dietrick and Prince. Dantas would be a RFA, while the rights to the other two would belong to the Dream, assuming they want them back. The Dream may or may not want Dantas back but I perhaps they could do a sign and trade. So Dantas for K. Davis anyone?

If Dantas is healthy I'd rather have her with the team.

PostPosted: 09/13/18 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You'd rather overpay for a third string PF than have a viable rotation player at SF?

PostPosted: 09/13/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
You'd rather overpay for a third string PF than have a viable rotation player at SF?

Dantas won't necessarily get overpaid - if no one particularly wants her, they might get her for another season for the qualifying offer - and at this point it's a perfectly defensible position that Davis just isn't any good. I'd like to see what she could do under a different coach playing the whole season as an actual wing (rather than the backup point guard that she clearly isn't), but her numbers through two seasons are pretty hideous.

In her early 20s Dantas looked like a genuine rotation big. If a coach can get hold of her and get her to do stuff besides endlessly jacking 3s, she could get back to that.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't question Dantas' potential, when healthy, but Atlanta doesn't really need one of those. At this stage of her career, she should not be ahead of Billings in the rotation, and I would even hesitate to put her ahead of McGee-Stafford, despite the fact that she is still currently better. That makes her the fifth big, which would arguably make her overpaid, even at the qualifying offer.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: