Atlanta Dream 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/20/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Does seem like she is saying she won't be back on the Dream.

You’re overthinking things, Randy.

Or are you underthinking? Anyway, I admit, I can always take any set of random dots and connect them into a picture. Clay's picture connects the dots about as well.

In her comments, she’s telling people who are jumping to conclusions that they are overthinking things.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/20/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please post that - I'm not on Instragram.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was already wondering whether there was any subtle value to playing one game rather than zero when Taurasi briefly appeared before immediately going back to street clothes. This makes me wonder again (even though Taurasi now looks like she'll play some more). Maybe agents are thinking that the max figure could be tied to years in the league in the next CBA, in the same way that it rises based on experience in the NBA. Playing this season would make it Angel's 10th, which could easily be a threshold in that kind of system.

Not that I'm cynical, or anything Wink.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't even see a reason to be cynical about it: that's a perfectly reasonable reason to make sure that you play enough games to qualify, IMO. And you're right, in the NBA, a player with 10+ years experience is entitled to sign a contract that pays him a higher percentage of the team's salary cap than he's eligible to sign with less than 10 years experience. If the WNBA can manage to negotiate a similar arrangement, then what she's doing is 100 percent the smart play.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/20/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we are being cynical I can connect the dots that way too. Maybe this is just a ploy to sell more tickets for the last game.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/20/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If we are being cynical I can connect the dots that way too. Maybe this is just a ploy to sell more tickets for the last game.

Hey, if my dad didn't have season tickets, it would have worked on me... I don't know who would have to be on the Dream's roster to get me to pay to watch them, if McCoughtry wasn't on the team, but it ain't nobody they have right now. Cambage, maybe?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/20/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I was already wondering whether there was any subtle value to playing one game rather than zero when Taurasi briefly appeared before immediately going back to street clothes. This makes me wonder again (even though Taurasi now looks like she'll play some more). Maybe agents are thinking that the max figure could be tied to years in the league in the next CBA, in the same way that it rises based on experience in the NBA. Playing this season would make it Angel's 10th, which could easily be a threshold in that kind of system.

That was the original point I was making. However, if Angel is already on the roster and getting paid, doesn't the year already count whether or not she ever sets foot on the court? In other words, even if you're healthy, you can still be a DNP for every game based on "coach's decision." Actually playing shouldn't matter. Unless Angel's current status is some new semi-roster purgatory, which might explain all those "set active" entries we see on the Transactions page of WNBA.com.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

That was the original point I was making. However, if Angel is already on the roster and getting paid, doesn't the year already count whether or not she ever sets foot on the court? In other words, even if you're healthy, you can still be a DNP for every game based on "coach's decision." Actually playing shouldn't matter. Unless Angel's current status is some new semi-roster purgatory, which might explain all those "set active" entries we see on the Transactions page of WNBA.com.

Without trawling through the CBA (for something that might not even be there), I'm not certain what they require to count as a year of experience in the WNBA - and they could easily come up with a new definition if they were going to add a new element like tying it to the max. Better to actually make an appearance in a game to cover an extra base.

PostPosted: 08/20/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Ysn2ynM1o/

Quote:
proud to announce that I will be playing in the last game September 8th.
It’s an honor for all the atlanta dream fans to see me in that jersey one more time before the season ends. 🙏🏾🙏🏾 🏀. Can’t wait #godisgood #blessed #favor #

The opponent will be New York... no complaints from me!

pilight

PostPosted: 08/20/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's edited out "one more time"

It may just be a matter of Angel being not so goodly with the words

PostPosted: 08/20/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She's edited out "one more time"

It may just be a matter of Angel being not so goodly with the words

Highly possible. I haven't figured out yet if she is saying it will be an honor for the Dream fans to see her play again, or it will be an honor for her to play again for the Dream fans.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/20/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The other option is that it's this team's last game in Atlanta ...

This, sadly.

#SanFranciscoTreat
#TorontoTeam

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 08/20/19 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This, sadly.

#SanFranciscoTreat
#TorontoTeam

~lw3

Sad, but not surprised. Sad

toad455

PostPosted: 08/20/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
lethalweapon3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This, sadly.

#SanFranciscoTreat
#TorontoTeam

~lw3

Sad, but not surprised. Sad

Of course I hope the team stays in Atlanta. But the fact their attendance didn't go up upon their return to State Farm Arena is troubling.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/19 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream say McCoughtry's not cleared to play, or even close to being cleared: https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/angel-mccoughtry-wants-play-finale-but-dream-says-she-not-cleared/8Bru3lzWih4kjPnBFeKD3O/

PostPosted: 08/20/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The Dream say McCoughtry's not cleared to play, or even close to being cleared: https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/angel-mccoughtry-wants-play-finale-but-dream-says-she-not-cleared/8Bru3lzWih4kjPnBFeKD3O/

As the Dream turns

Shades

PostPosted: 08/21/19 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She said while her future with the Dream is unclear, her time in the league isn’t, saying she’ll play until she’s 50.

“After this season we’ll see,” she said.

And with the 2020 Olympics around the corner, the two-time Olympian hopes to join the women’s national team in Tokyo next year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/21/19 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This, sadly.

#SanFranciscoTreat
#TorontoTeam

~lw3

I’ve always thought that the southeastern US needs to have WNBA-team representation, given that NCAA WBB is probably the most popular in this region. If the Dream has to move, it really should be to some city in Tennessee, Kentucky, or the Carolinas (Charlotte again?).

Randy

PostPosted: 08/21/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The history of the Miami, Charlotte, Orlando and Atlanta franchises suggests otherwise. Ultimately, teams stay or go where there are owners with money.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/21/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ideal scenario would be Brock & Loeffler continuing to operate the team in another city where the team will draw well, but maybe that’s completely unrealistic in the world of sports franchise ownership, esp. since these two seem pretty entrenched in the city of Atlanta with their own careers.

Florida & Georgia haven’t done as well with supporting NCAA WBB like the other states I mentioned. Charlotte might do better now since South Carolina’s program rose up and now draws supremely well, & tbh I don’t remember if they folded for any reasons other than not drawing well/lack of owner commitment. Knoxville. Louisville. Columbia itself. Small markets, but if any of these cities has just one rich person that’s interested in owning a WNBA team, the fan bases and venues are pretty built in already. And plenty of players are from the southeast, so I honestly think players not wanting to be there like not wanting to be in Connecticut wouldn’t be a concern.

Just my thoughts.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The ideal scenario would be Brock & Loeffler continuing to operate the team in another city where the team will draw well, but maybe that’s completely unrealistic in the world of sports franchise ownership, esp. since these two seem pretty entrenched in the city of Atlanta with their own careers.

Florida & Georgia haven’t done as well with supporting NCAA WBB like the other states I mentioned. Charlotte might do better now since South Carolina’s program rose up and now draws supremely well, & tbh I don’t remember if they folded for any reasons other than not drawing well/lack of owner commitment. Knoxville. Louisville. Columbia itself. Small markets, but if any of these cities has just one rich person that’s interested in owning a WNBA team, the fan bases and venues are pretty built in already. And plenty of players are from the southeast, so I honestly think players not wanting to be there like not wanting to be in Connecticut wouldn’t be a concern.

Just my thoughts.

It's a complicated equation, as has been discussed before. It's hard to say what comes first, really, as even a motivated potential owner needs access to a suitable facility -- "suitable," in this case, meaning the right size and the right price and the right location.

From the owner's perspective, a healthy interest in girls' and women's basketball is important, over and above fans of a particular college. The league's history suggests that there's not a big overlap between college fans -- who are focused on their school and their players rather than the game itself -- and the WNBA.

That said, an area that takes girls' high school basketball reasonably seriously and has some college attendance success is a good start.

It's also important to have a strong lesbian community, because that community will supply a significant portion of the fan base.

From the league's perspective, a major factor is market size, both for TV ratings and national sponsorship possibilities, so a city that meets the other criteria might not be the perfect fit.

But even so, pretty much anyone who has $7 million or so to spare for the next three to five years can have a team -- but most people who have that kind of money want to see some kind of profitability light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: 08/22/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Nashville Dream has a nice ring to it.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/22/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

College Park Dream? If the Liberty and Mystics can play in a g-league arena why not the Dream? Visiting teams wouldn't even need to book a hotel - it's a 3 minute train ride from the airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Park_Skyhawks

toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

College Park is even smaller than the Mystics' arena(capacity is 3,500). Maybe they could move back to McCamish since they're drawing the same there this season?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/22/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
College Park is even smaller than the Mystics' arena(capacity is 3,500). Maybe they could move back to McCamish since they're drawing the same there this season?

As it is, they probably barely draw a legit 3,500, and maybe not even that depending on how embellished they make the numbers (I’m guessing a lot). If nothing else, College Park is probably a cheaper option and the arena would look more filled.

And they could still be called the “Atlanta” Dream Laughing On a serious note, I wonder if the branding of being from “Atlanta” negatively impacts the team. “Atlanta” teams aren’t known for being winners. And does the difference in racial topography between Atlanta and the rest of the state mean anything in all this? (Tho I think that’s a more nuanced discussion for a different day/topic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: