RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sen. John McCain Stopping Treatment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:20 am    ::: Sen. John McCain Stopping Treatment Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment. Our family is immensely grateful for the support and kindness of all his caregivers over the last year, and for the continuing outpouring of concern and affection from John’s many friends and associates, and the many thousands of people who are keeping him in their prayers. God bless and thank you all."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/08/24/sen-john-mccain-discontinuing-treatment-brain-cancer/1083724002/

Sad

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can remember voting for McCain for president in the Republican primary in 2000. It is the last time I voted for a Republican for a national office. He is a truly honorable man and a treasure to this country. While I was never the hawk that he was I never once doubted that he did everything he could in his lifetime to do what he believed was best for the nation, not a narrow self-interest.

I hope that without treatment he will be able to live the remainder of his life in less pain and with a clear head so he can appreciate how much he is truly admired by American people.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is yet one more act of bravery from a genuinely brave man.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's a true American hero, a vanishing breed. My prayers to him and his family.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-mccain-arizona-senator-vietnam-war-hero-dies/story?id=52287138

Quote:
John Sidney McCain III, a Vietnam War hero with more than 35 years of public service and who became one of the most distinctive figures in modern American politics as a maverick conservative who took delight in disruption, died Saturday at his home in Arizona.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't expect it to be this soon.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
sambista

PostPosted: 08/25/18 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

he was a decent human being, which speaks volumes in our new world.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such an amazing man. A true hero!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
taropatch

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He was a decent Republican which speaks volumes in Washington today.
Rest in peace.

From his favorite novel:

“The world is a very fine place and worth fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.” --- For Whom the Bell Tolls

pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Myth of John McCain

https://splinternews.com/the-myth-of-john-mccain-1828587230

Quote:
McCain’s political legacy should be largely that of someone who frequently and loudly toyed with doing the right thing and yet decided to do the other thing almost every single time, and who was a willing and active participant in the destruction of one country and helping the racist, authoritarian right rise in his own.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Myth of John McCain

Quote:
McCain’s political legacy should be largely that of someone who frequently and loudly toyed with doing the right thing and yet decided to do the other thing almost every single time, and who was a willing and active participant in the destruction of one country and helping the racist, authoritarian right rise in his own.

Ouch. Obviously written by someone with a ton of bias.

I doubt even McCain's biggest fans would claim his politics weren't ever flawed. But--and especially in light of today's political milieu--things such as his willingness to admit errors in judgment publically, or stating the value of a press that didn't necessarily flatter him....he was a different, BETTER politician than most, imo. The line between myth and reality is often a fuzzy one.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Myth of John McCain

Quote:

I doubt even McCain's biggest fans would claim his politics weren't ever flawed. But--and especially in light of today's political milieu--things such as his willingness to admit errors in judgment publically, or stating the value of a press that didn't necessarily flatter him....he was a different, BETTER politician than most, imo. The line between myth and reality is often a fuzzy one.

McCain cared about the structure of our political system. He cared about procedures.

That I appreciate. We deal with far too many hypocrites that only care about winning, and not protecting the protocol that keeps our freedoms. (Looking at you McConnell).

And he was a good person. He didn’t demonize easy targets.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Myth of John McCain

Quote:

i second that.

meanwhile . . .

the new york times wrote:
The visual of the flag raised high at the White House made the rounds on social media, drawing the ire of Trump administration critics and several veterans’ groups, until it was finally lowered again late Monday afternoon.

One veterans’ group, VoteVets, issued a statement of scathing criticism. “Donald Trump refuses to lower flag, for John McCain. As we said yesterday, Donald Trump is a pathetic, thin-skinned, self-centered, low-class, petty coward,” the group wrote in a Twitter post on Monday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/27/us/politics/flag-half-staff-mccain-trump.html

PostPosted: 08/28/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/30/18 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now for an actual photo of John McCain (instead of Newt Gingrich)...

pilight

PostPosted: 09/01/18 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://vietnamnews.vn/politics-laws/464563/us-senator-mccain-who-helps-lay-foundation-for-vn-us-relations-passes-away.html#7v62H651ElY0C547.97

Quote:
The prison was being run at the time by Colonel Trần Trọng Duyệt.

Speaking to Việt Nam News yesterday, he said: “I had a lot of time meeting him when he was kept in the prison.

“At that time I liked him personally for his toughness and strong stance. Later on, when he became a US Senator, he and Senator John Kerry greatly contributed to promote Việt Nam-US relations so I was very fond of him.”

"When I learnt about his death early this morning, I feel very sad. I would like to send condolences to his family. I think it’s the same feeling for all Vietnamese people as he has greatly contributed to the development of Việt Nam - US relations."

PostPosted: 09/01/18 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“We gather here to mourn the passing of American greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served," said his daughter Meghan McCain.

Think that she was addressing someone in particular? 😮 😉

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/01/john-mccain-funeral-obama-and-bush-deliver-eulogies/1162019002/

tfan

PostPosted: 09/01/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
“We gather here to mourn the passing of American greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served," said his daughter Meghan McCain.

Think that she was addressing someone in particular? 😮 😉

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/01/john-mccain-funeral-obama-and-bush-deliver-eulogies/1162019002/

She also said “America was always great”. But she has good reason to be upset about Trump as he famously tried to diminish her father - “He was a hero because he was captured. I like guys who weren’t captured.” While the Aretha Franklin funeral had anti-Trump statements by speakers which had nothing to do with the deceased, and were injecting politics into a non-political event. But those speakers had no strong relationship with Aretha Franklin, so they may have been invited to talk about , or assumed to talk about, subjects besides the deceased, including politics.

stever

PostPosted: 09/01/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WDTYQfJ6wVI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/01/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
While the Aretha Franklin funeral had anti-Trump statements by speakers which had nothing to do with the deceased, and were injecting politics into a non-political event.

Like this piece of shit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-aretha-franklin-funeral-eulogy-reaction-20180831-story.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: