twcoffee

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Derek Fisher hired as coach of the Sparks

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Showtime.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite this being his first time coaching women, and his bad record with the Knicks, I actually like this pickup.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Despite this being his first time coaching women, and his bad record with the Knicks, I actually like this pickup.

Phrased another way, the Sparks just hired a coach with a career winning percentage of .294 and no history coaching in the WNBA or women's basketball at all.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting for sure... Someone made a great point that his previous coaching experience was fraught with a lot of injuries and wellll, it was the Knicks, so there's that....lol!

We shall see...Heck, it may be the greatest thing ever! lol!

GO SPARKS!

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lesson, as always, who you know is more important than what you know.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z0bwtCA4UUk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do i get the feeling Silk wont take the Fish serious? Hmmm this seems like a Magic move imo

PostPosted: 12/05/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/25461998/la-sparks-hire-derek-fisher-head-coach

PostPosted: 12/05/18 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

Phrased another way, the Sparks just hired a coach with a career winning percentage of .294 and no history coaching in the WNBA or women's basketball at all.

Similar to the Becky Hammon situation with the Spurs. He was a great and clutch leader in the NBA and he has the rings to prove it. So why not give him this chance

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/05/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

Similar to the Becky Hammon situation with the Spurs. He was a great and clutch leader in the NBA and he has the rings to prove it. So why not give him this chance

You mean the chance he had but failed at miserably?

Becky Hammon is an assistant. I would have no problem with Fisher being hired as an assistant for the Sparks.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/06/18 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My impression is that the Knicks roster under Fischer was terrible.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/06/18 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

It was and there was a lot of pressure to play the triangle offense with players who were not willing to play it or have the IQ to execute it.
Not really a fair chance IMO

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/06/18 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:

It was and there was a lot of pressure to play the triangle offense with players who were not willing to play it or have the IQ to execute it.

Anyone coaching the Knicks ever is not a fair chance.
I'm not claiming that Fisher is or isn't a good choice, but even Gregg Popovich could probably be made to look bad by that franchise.

PostPosted: 12/06/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Anyone coaching the Knicks ever is not a fair chance.
I'm not claiming that Fisher is or isn't a good choice, but even Gregg Popovich could probably be made to look bad by that franchise.

As a longtime Knicks' fan--and someone who detests Hideous Lord Jimmy (Dolan) and his BFF sexual harasser Isiah Thomas--I'd agree till very recently. So far it looks like the new regime made an excellent choice in hiring David Fizdale as coach and so far has supported him well.

Derek Fisher did a terrible job as Knicks' coach. Surely part of that was the ridiculous situation with Phil Jackson (who was far worse than Fisher) and Jackson's obsession with his beloved triangle offense. Nevertheless, Fisher was far from blameless in his work with the Knicks.

PostPosted: 12/06/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always liked Fizdale.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/06/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://herosports.com/wnba/derek-fisher-hire-los-angeles-sparks-ruru

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 12/06/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From article toad posted.

Quote:
Can you imagine a WNBA player landing an NBA head coaching position without ever being an assistant in the men's game?

Can you imagine an NBA player being names HC of an NBA club with no experience as an assistant or any coaching experience. Yet - the Knicks hired him. And true to form fired him 1.5 season later. He just must interview great.

Anyway, as a Dream fan I'm liking this hire though I suspect the Sparks might have been better off hiring Amber Stocks (my first recommendation).... Razz

toad455

PostPosted: 12/06/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think half the Sparks roster will be new for 2019. Returning: Gray, Sims, Parker, Ogwumike, Beard & Vadeeva.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/06/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Quote:
Curt Miller coached in the women's game for 25 years before becoming the head coach of the Connecticut Sun and was named the 2017 WNBA Coach of the Year.
Can you imagine a WNBA player landing an NBA head coaching position without ever being an assistant in the men's game?

Is there really an important difference between coaching men and coaching women? It's still coaching basketball, right?
How many years of coaching women did Paul Westhead have before coming to the Phoenix Mercury? where he had an amazing rapport with the players, and of course delivered a memorable championship.

I don't believe women can't coach men, and I don't believe men can't coach women. If you know the game of basketball, and you have the ability to get your players on the same page, then you can coach.

And again, as with my tongue-in-cheek Knicks post, I'm not saying Fisher is an ideal pick, nor am I saying that the process that led to his hiring was smart or fair. I'm just challenging what I think is a sexist assumption. Just as I think it is sexism that's causing Becky Hammon to serve an unnecessarily long apprenticeship in the men's game.

Last edited by Luuuc on 12/06/18 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/06/18 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Can you imagine an NBA player being names HC of an NBA club with no experience as an assistant or any coaching experience

Sure, it happens all the time.

PostPosted: 12/06/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
Can you imagine an NBA player being names HC of an NBA club with no experience as an assistant or any coaching experience

Sure, it happens all the time.

I know it has happened recently with Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson, both hired by the Warriors. In thinking about who any others might have been I came up with ... Derek Fisher, who was hired by the Knicks as head coach with no coaching experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 4 of 32

Jump to: