RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 06/17/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the team's Twitter account, Candace is back and presumably will be active for tomorrow's game against Washington. Just in time with a tough stretch against Washington, Seattle, and Phoenix this week.

Question is whether Fisher goes with a big lineup of Parker and both Ogwumikes, that many of us were expecting before the injuries, or keeps it more traditional and brings Chiney off the bench. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
zune69

PostPosted: 06/17/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks are about to go on a winning streak.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/17/19 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who’s been the weak link among starters lately?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/17/19 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I hope CP comes off the bench. The starters have been gelling since she's been out. There is no shame in the Sparks going to the Tim Duncan-late-in-his-career protocol, to preserve her legs for the post season.

jap

PostPosted: 06/18/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I hope CP comes off the bench. The starters have been gelling since she's been out. There is no shame in the Sparks going to the Tim Duncan-late-in-his-career protocol, to preserve her legs for the post season.

They are still establishing that all important chemistry and inserting CP3 into the starting lineup may upset things in the short term. Of course, the season is still young; so Fish may continue to experiment with his lineups as he searches for the best combinations for various scenarios. Candace refers to herself as "an honorary Ogwumike," and it will be very interesting to see her forge new chemistry with Chiney and the newcomers. Chiney & Co. has had to get used to Chelsea's no-look passes; now here comes CP3 with her special touch. Will we see one or both Ogwumike sisters leaking out early to field Parker's deep bombs upcourt for easy layups?

PostPosted: 06/22/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Shades wrote:

After a complete fail by Fisher in Candace's first game back, he followed that up with an even worse failure in her second game back. To not even learn anything from game 1 reveals a DEEP deficit in his coaching lack of skill.

Basically a team that had 3 players playing together beautifully (Nneka, Chiney and Chelsea) they were turned into complete incompetents. Team chemistry was 100% disrupted. Nobody (including Candace!) were ready for her return. It looked like they had never shared the floor in practice before her first game back. Alana seemed better able to sense how to be with players that weren't on the same page yet. It seemed that Fisher was 100% committed to Candace being the #1 focal point and pushed her to be that from the moment she stepped back on the floor.

Again, if you don't learn why you failed the first time, having the exact same thing happen a second time is what happens. This was a monumental failure of Fisher as Coach of this team. If he can't make the right adjustments, he needs to be history. Now.

~rAf
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 06/24/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a long hiatus, I had to pop in to get everyone's thoughts on the Sparks (I also forgot my password so there was that as well Laughing ).

Anyone else feel that it's time to consider firing Fisher? If Taurasi played yesterday, it likely would've been three blowouts in a row.

The defensive schemes are awful. I see players consistently going under screens on shooters, perimeter players unable to keep their man in front of them, and bigs hedging so long that they're unable to get back to their man (often stretch shooters). With the schemes he has them using, I don't understand why he doesn't just have them switch everything?

Offensive system -- whew! First, the spacing is often terrible to start, since he's decided to play TRP and Beard together (huh?). Also, a lot of the offense seems to be focused on perimeter play, which is strange since their best players are bigs (again, huh?).

ROTATIONS - HOT MESS.

I think it's pretty clear that Parker needs time to get in shape but it's strange seeing her look completely uncomfortable in the Sparks offense.

Someone fix it lol!
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think Fisher -- like most who coach males -- thought it would be easy to switch to the female side, and he would be the best coach around just because of his NBA experience.

But a) WNBA coaches are good; and b) coaching the women's game is different than the men's game in enough subtle ways that experience matters. Basketball is basketball, true, but I could spend a long time telling a male coach what he would have to adjust to be successful with women and girls.

PostPosted: 06/24/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who out there is available as a coach that would net better results for the Sparks right now?

And where is this “Fisher thought it was going to be easy” narrative coming from?

And I’m in no way endorsing Fisher..

PostPosted: 06/24/19 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Who out there is available as a coach that would net better results for the Sparks right now?

A bag of chips?

After CP's first game back, it would have been obvious to a stale bag of chips that making Candance the focal point of the offense was a REALLY bad idea. This is by a very long shot the absolute stupidest coaching I've seen in the WNBA.

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 06/24/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMH at people using Fisher as a scapegoat when Penny is the person who construted this roster. Stockpiling the Sparks with a bunch of PF/C while neglecting the wing positions. This is a poorly balanced basketball team. Penny Toler has done a terrible job of construction the roster around C.Parker. LA only won the championship a few years back because Agler was smart enough to move Lavender to the bench..

Last season,the sparks got off to a hot start without Parker. Sims was playing great. Candace makes her return and Sims becomes an afterthought. Sims ends up finishing the season on the bench. This season,the sparks get off to a good start without Parker, Gray was playing great. Candace makes her return and Gray struggles. Candace Parker is too ball dominant at this stage of her career. Let Gray run the show......And for all of the people who were down on Sims...you think LA could use her right now?

LA needs to inquire about the availability of Hayes, Sykes,Vivians,Copper etc......The Sparks need wings who can produce on offense....Enough with the big lineup bullshyt.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/24/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker, averaging her least shots/40 minutes and lowest USG% in a decade, is too ball dominant? Chelsea Gray, who is shooting more than she ever has at a career low FG% and 3P% and has taken as many or more shots than Parker in each of the three games Parker has played, needs to have the ball in her hands more?

PostPosted: 06/24/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
SMH at people using Fisher as a scapegoat when Penny is the person who construted this roster. Stockpiling the Sparks with a bunch of PF/C while neglecting the wing positions. This is a poorly balanced basketball team. Penny Toler has done a terrible job of construction the roster around C.Parker. LA only won the championship a few years back because Agler was smart enough to move Lavender to the bench..

Last season,the sparks got off to a hot start without Parker. Sims was playing great. Candace makes her return and Sims becomes an afterthought. Sims ends up finishing the season on the bench. This season,the sparks get off to a good start without Parker, Gray was playing great. Candace makes her return and Gray struggles. Candace Parker is too ball dominant at this stage of her career. Let Gray run the show......And for all of the people who were down on Sims...you think LA could use her right now?

LA needs to inquire about the availability of Hayes, Sykes,Vivians,Copper etc......The Sparks need wings who can produce on offense....Enough with the big lineup bullshyt.

Individually, the Sparks are a team to get excited about. As a team, they might be in the same category as the Aces. Laimbeer in interview indicated his team would have to learn how to play together. Some of the Sparks have won a championship together, some parts are missing, some added. New coach, new game plan. I am also looking for answers to this team playing better.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Would the Sparks be willing to trade Brown for any of those wing players that you have listed above?

PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Candace Parker, averaging her least shots/40 minutes and lowest USG% in a decade, is too ball dominant? Chelsea Gray, who is shooting more than she ever has at a career low FG% and 3P% and has taken as many or more shots than Parker in each of the three games Parker has played, needs to have the ball in her hands more?

Gray:

Last 3 gms: 7.3 ppg on 25% fg shooting (games with Candace)

3 prior gms: 20 ppg on 55% fg shooting

Gray was shooting 44% from 2 and 45% from 3 before Candace made her return, Damn good for a #1 option pg....Your focusing on Candace's usage rate while I'm focusing on who's facilitating the offense, two totally different things....I have no issue with Candace's usage rate. She should be the #1 offensive scoring option. My problem is the role of facilitator. Gray is an all-star caliber top 3 pg. She should have the ball in her hands at least 70% of the time.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with some of you all on Fisher. I also agree with some of you who said Penny Toler should take the blame for the Sparks underachieving. Toler was the one who hired Fisher. I just think that this roster is too talented to get beat the way that they have been. I do agree that it will take time for the team to come together however, Fisher should know as a coach and former player that when a team is on a winning streak, you do not adjust your starting lineup. Candace Parker should have been coming off the bench with the second unit plain and simple. It would have given them another ball handler and the other role players coming off the bench like Mabrey would be able to get better shots off. Especially since she has been out for weeks with injury and has not practiced or played with the team. Gray was playing great until he put Parker back in the starting lineup. The Sparks could actually win if Fisher and his assistants get the correct combinations together.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/24/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Would the Sparks be willing to trade Brown for any of those wing players that you have listed above?

They should....All 4 players are legit double digit scorers and would fill a great void. When you are in win now mode you don't worry about giving up a young player at an already loaded position.

Vivians (still out) would be a better fit going forward than Brown. Indiana has no real need for Brown now that they have McCowan...So it would have to be a 3-way trade trade...Dal/NY could use a young center.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/24/19 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is a career franchise player for the Sparks. Damn near equivalent to Taurasi with the Mercury, Bird with the Storm, and Catchings with the Fever. No way is she agreeing to come off the bench. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/24/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler certainly should get the blame for hiring Fisher to coach; however, I do think this roster is decent enough to compete well into the playoffs with the right system. To contend, a move to bring in a scoring wing would help, especially since Vadeeva will be back soon.

Defensively, LA has been awful all season. When you watch them play, it's not for lack of effort, it's all due to the scheme. They're giving up wide open 3's from every position on the court. Can't get out in transition like LA's always thrived in doing with Candace, if the other team is canning open jumpers everywhere.

It's pretty clear the issue is with Fisher at this point. Sure, LA played better when Candace & Beard were out, but it was on the offensive side and was largely due to heavy minutes for shooters. Now we see Weiss, Jones, and Mabrey all getting less minutes, which is leading to poor spacing.

Maybe Fisher will make some adjustments after watching film. He's certainly been playing around with rotations... which I guess is a start?
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

They should....All 4 players are legit double digit scorers and would fill a great void. When you are in win now mode you don't worry about giving up a young player at an already loaded position.

Vivians (still out) would be a better fit going forward than Brown. Indiana has no real need for Brown now that they have McCowan...So it would have to be a 3-way trade trade...Dal/NY could use a young center.

A three team trade would be unnecessary. Copper for Brown. Deal. Cool

PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Parker is a career franchise player for the Sparks. Damn near equivalent to Taurasi with the Mercury, Bird with the Storm, and Catchings with the Fever. No way is she agreeing to come off the bench. Laughing

If Candace - or any franchise player coming back from injury - won't do what the team needs, then they are a stuck up prig. Period.

It is 1,000% clear that starting Candace, playing her big minutes and running the offense through her right now is an EPIC FAIL. heck, if TV Candace didn't state the obvious, she would be fired on the spot.

I'm not convinced that this disaster movie is Candace's choice. I think Fisher was stuck on what the team looked like with a healthy Candace and pushed for it. Nobody, including Candace wants to look like a dumpster fire - but that's exactly what the Sparks have put on the floor for 3 games.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Gray:

Last 3 gms: 7.3 ppg on 25% fg shooting (games with Candace)

3 prior gms: 20 ppg on 55% fg shooting

Gray was shooting 44% from 2 and 45% from 3 before Candace made her return, Damn good for a #1 option pg....Your focusing on Candace's usage rate while I'm focusing on who's facilitating the offense, two totally different things....I have no issue with Candace's usage rate. She should be the #1 offensive scoring option. My problem is the role of facilitator. Gray is an all-star caliber top 3 pg. She should have the ball in her hands at least 70% of the time.

Chelsea Gray was a legit MVP candidate before the 3 game dumpster fire. And Chiney (subtract game 1) was fitting in nicely. The entire team has imploded. Just. Like. That. Worst coaching job ever.

~rAf
jap

PostPosted: 06/26/19 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

We will gladly take Diamond off your hands for Ms. Brown! Razz

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2aXbX-cUgtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YcRh11LVcm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/27/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL, couldn’t stop laughing at the one reporter that asked Parker a question and mentioned “48 minutes” on two occasions.

WNBA games are 40 minutes, sir.. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: