PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Sparks sign TRP.

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-sign-tierra-ruffin-pratt/

Feel like this is an indication that they're not planning on signing Williams.

I dont think LA can really afford Williams after re-signing Sims and hopefully Gray to a max contract. I like this signing. TRP will fill Carson's shoes nicely.

Agreed. This is a solid replacement for Carson. I think TRP is better defensively and Carson is better offensively, so somewhat of a toss-up as far as I'm concerned.

So she’d have similar characteristics to Beard? When Beard comes off the court, you can bring in the thrift store version.

Precisely. Always good to have multiple solid defenders on the perimeter.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little concerning that she is a 4th or 5th or 6th option for an israeli team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

overseas teams don't tend to value defense.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Gray signs & Williams goes elsewhere, without any trades the Sparks have:

PG: Gray/[Sims]
SG: Sims/Wiese
SF: Beard/Ruffin-Pratt/Samuelson
PF: Parker/Vadeeva
C: Ogwumike/Lavender
+#7 pick

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

overseas teams don't tend to value defense.

Hmmm I think WA may be pushing her defense angle I guess that s why they didn't want her.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Sparks sign TRP.

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-sign-tierra-ruffin-pratt/

Feel like this is an indication that they're not planning on signing Williams.

I dont think LA can really afford Williams after re-signing Sims and hopefully Gray to a max contract. I like this signing. TRP will fill Carson's shoes nicely.

Agreed. This is a solid replacement for Carson. I think TRP is better defensively and Carson is better offensively, so somewhat of a toss-up as far as I'm concerned.

So she’d have similar characteristics to Beard? When Beard comes off the court, you can bring in the thrift store version.
Or this might mean that she is actually a replacement for Beard. Perhaps Beard has told them she would give it a shot to see how it goes and might actually opt out this season. As I stated before Beards defense declined last season. Age always wins in the end. It's not like she is a spot up shooter that can extend her career once her physical skills diminish. Her game is her defense and for that she can not have a speed and quickness drop off.

Perhaps LA just resigned her as a courtesy to allow her time to make a final decision. Actually at times last season, Beard often looked like a Thrift Store version of herself.

PostPosted: 02/13/19 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Assuming Gray signs & Williams goes elsewhere, without any trades the Sparks have:

+#7 pick

Ogunbowale at #7 seems like a perfect fit, a younger, better R. Williams with that show-time flair.

I guess if the Cambage trade really doesn't happen (I still think it will but maybe not for a little bit) Anigwe at #7 could also make sense to bolster the post.

And then a back up PG at #19 Kea, Bell, Heidelman, Cazorla is Dillard a PG?

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

Ogunbowale at #7 seems like a perfect fit, a younger, better R. Williams with that show-time flair.

I guess if the Cambage trade really doesn't happen (I still think it will but maybe not for a little bit) Anigwe at #7 could also make sense to bolster the post.

Still like Cunningham for this team if they can’t get KLS. They both are more versatile than Wiese and Karlie Samuelson, and are at least 4 to 5 inches taller than Ogunbowale, and aren’t as ball dominant.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

Still like Cunningham for this team if they can’t get KLS. They both are more versatile than Wiese and Karlie Samuelson, and are at least 4 to 5 inches taller than Ogunbowale, and aren’t nearly as ball dominant.

I’m not a fan of Cunningham. But understand the logic. I think 7th is a bit high for her, but you never know. With the 7th pick, I’d rather LA select Samuelson, Ogunbowale, Anigwe or Collier.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

Still like Cunningham for this team if they can’t get KLS. They both are more versatile than Wiese and Karlie Samuelson, and are at least 4 to 5 inches taller than Ogunbowale, and aren’t nearly as ball dominant.

I’m not a fan of Cunningham. But understand the logic. I think 7th is a bit high for her, but you never know. With the 7th pick, I’d rather LA select Samuelson, Ogunbowale, Anigwe or Collier.

7th is high for her imo, but if they found a way to get Collier 7th and maybe find a trade to get Cunningham later, I think would be a good draft. Not sure how they’d pull it off though.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/15/19 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

I wouldn't touch Ogunbowale with a twelve foot pole. She is too much of a volume shooter and doesn't play much defense. Sure she hits a game winner every now and then but her volume shooting is not that consistent. There are plenty of create their own shot players like her in the WNBA who are more consistent.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale's numbers are pretty damn good for someone who gets dismissed as a 'volume shooter'. 45% from the field and 38% from three over four years is hardly your average chucker. People also kept dismissing Tiffany Hayes before her draft and looking purely at the numbers at the time, I was never sure why. Hayes, funnily enough, shot a distinctly similar 46%/36% for her college career...

PostPosted: 02/15/19 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale would be short for a SG in the league. It’s a big reason Plum converted to PG. She knew she had to make it into the league.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

I wouldn't touch Ogunbowale with a twelve foot pole. She is too much of a volume shooter and doesn't play much defense. Sure she hits a game winner every now and then but her volume shooting is not that consistent. There are plenty of create their own shot players like her in the WNBA who are more consistent.

You're not getting a better player than her at #7.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
toad455 wrote:

+#7 pick

You're not getting a better player than her at #7.

What exactly makes her so “good?”. She’s small for SG, and does not have the decision making needed at the moment to play PG. She’s abysmal defensively, and really is only good for shooting. And that is often erratic. How is she any better than say, Kelsey Mitchell?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TRUTH Total and Mitchell is actually quicker, played with lower caliber players and can play the point, loosely put I know.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Mitchell was a #2 pick so I don't see where this is going? Doesn't that comparison help her if anything?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really don't think the pick has anything to do with it. It is what a team wants and gets. Some GMs are smarter than others Wink

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

assist to TO ratio senior year

Mitchell 4.2/2.1
Ogunbowale 4.1/2.4

Mitchell might be quicker but Arike is stronger. I think Arike will have an easier time doing what she does at the next level on offense than Mitchell but both will be successful scorers in the W.

Ogunbowale has an "It" factor. If she is not at the same level as the other top COMBO/SG Loyd, McBride, Quigley, Sims, Mitchell, Plum, in a year or two I will be surprised but we will see. She is a late cut National team member kind of player. If she played on a college team where she was a one man band like Mitchell or Plum her scoring would be right up there with theirs. She is putting her numbers up on a consistent top 5, National championship winning kind of team.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You realize who she plays with right? She should have a much higher assist to turnover rate with who she plays with and less shots.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes but that is a decent assist to TO ratio for a player who plays sg and is considered by some to be a volume scorer. It is also the kind of ratio where that player could probably fake being a PG 10 minutes a night like say Cappie, Prince or other similar type players, making them more varsatile than they would normally be given credit for and that same kind of ratio doesn't equate with being selfish or low Basketball IQ (not saying anyone has said that but it is often the type of criticism lobbed at players like Ogunbowale).

And yes she plays on a better team than Mitchell but that is a two way street. She is able to do what she does and her team is successful, very successful. If she was putting up similar numbers on Uconn or Stanford people would have a very different opinion of her. And yes maybe Uconn or Stanford's coach would even make her play defense. My Point is scoring 20 ppg on a top team is a lot harder than scoring 20 ppg on a not top team because not only do you have to score those points you have to do it and win almost every game, you have to do it in the sweet 16 and beyond, etc

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with the fake part of playing PG Laughing Laughing It is not a lot harder on a good team when your coach lets you do it. I think Turner, Shepard and Young would like her to pass the ball.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They might

But it is hard to argue a negative. Would ND be better if Ogunbowale scored less and others scored more? we don't know. What we do know is they play pretty well with Arike playing the way she plays right now. And of course others make major contributions as well, but Arike's most important contribution is her scoring. The coach probably lets her play that way because it is a big part of why ND has been successful these past four years.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm, I guess those 3 losses and underachieving this season makes it so Wink Hey you can go full on with that, as long as you are not a Sparks fan Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

honestly I am just enjoying the argument

It all started because I said Arike would be a good pick for the Sparks at 7 I will stick with that

tbh our debate could be summed up as I like Ogunbowale (or Ogunbowale's game) you don't, neither opinion is wrong, and we're probably not going to convince the other to see it our way, but it is a good exercise to have to articulate our points of view and present evidence beyond the obvious 'Arike good!" "Arike Bad".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 12 of 32

Jump to: