Mercury
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Storm
77%
 77%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 35

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/18 9:32 pm    ::: Mercury💯 @ Storm⛈ - 8/26/18 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Semifinals Game 1
Seattle, WA - 5:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watch

Game page:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20180826/PHOSEA/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://m.espn.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=401074457

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury and the Storm have met in the playoffs four times. Phoenix won three of those series.

Sandy Brondello is the only coach remaining in the playoffs who has won a WNBA championship.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard for me to bet against Phoenix with Minnesota and LA being eliminated.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

You were betting against them when they were playing the lowly Wings. Razz

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are going to have an old fashioned east versus west finals again. Cool

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
We are going to have an old fashioned east versus west finals again. Cool

So much for the new playoff format. Might as well just name these series the Eastern & Western Conference finals.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We deserve a Seattle-Washington finals.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

I think this is the best match-up possible at this point.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what the matchups are going to be. For the Mercury January on Bird again, Sandy would be insane to put DT on Loyd again Laughing (3x 30+ games already this season) so i expect Talbot on Loyd and DT on Clark. Lets see if zclark can get DT in foul trouble by posting her up a couple of times. Griner will be defending Stewie on the perimeter so cant help as much in the paint.
So Bonner on Howard and Griner on Stewie and the Storm will switch that around with Howard on Griner and double teaming with Stewie but this time that will be harder to do with Bonner spotting up for 3. That gives Griner way more room inside and its more difficult to double. Birdy on January, Loyd on Talbot and Clark stalking DT Very Happy

This will be a fun series. Die bitches vs DT is always great Cool

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/24/18 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I wonder what the matchups are going to be. For the Mercury January on Bird again, Sandy would be insane to put DT on Loyd again Laughing (3x 30+ games already this season) so i expect Talbot on Loyd and DT on Clark. Lets see if zclark can get DT in foul trouble by posting her up a couple of times. Griner will be defending Stewie on the perimeter so cant help as much in the paint.
So Bonner on Howard and Griner on Stewie and the Storm will switch that around with Howard on Griner and double teaming with Stewie but this time that will be harder to do with Bonner spotting up for 3. That gives Griner way more room inside and its more difficult to double. Birdy on January, Loyd on Talbot and Clark stalking DT Very Happy

I'm so excited about this series. Question: Does Sue know that her rebkell nickname is "Die Bitches?"

zune69

PostPosted: 08/24/18 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

You were betting against them when they were playing the lowly Wings. Razz

I thought Glory would be motivated playing against Griner.Stevens playing only 12 minutes was a disappointment. However,I did pick Phoenix to beat Connecticut on the road......At the start of the season I said Phoenix would be a legit threat to win the Championship...But after Sancho went down, Phoenix looked done.They were getting very little production from Little(pun intended)...Brondello made a late-season adjustment that paid off.The Mercury are now back on track.It's not as if I'm bandwagon jumping.I picked Phoenix to finish 2nd before the season started.

All 4 remaining teams have a shot at winning the Championship.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/24/18 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

They have to win it to be in it. Cool

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

She should put DT on Sue, Bri on Loyd, Talbot on Clark, Bonner on Stewie, and Brit on Howard.

Keep Brit down low (I hate it when we purposely pull Brit away from the basket)..and very one helps to double Stewie. I would also suggest having Bonner and Talbot switch off on Stewie. Talbot may actually be the better defensive option there. Especially when we need Bonner to score. But I’d try Bonner with her height first. #Stewie Is Just Going To Back Her Down.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm on #TeamABS for the duration.

Aladyyn wrote:

Wait... what have I done to deserve that?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

+1 , But PHX vs Washington could be just as competitive !

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

She should put DT on Sue, Bri on Loyd, Talbot on Clark, Bonner on Stewie, and Brit on Howard.

Keep Brit down low (I hate it when we purposely pull Brit away from the basket)..and very one helps to double Stewie. I would also suggest having Bonner and Talbot switch off on Stewie. Talbot may actually be the better defensive option there. Especially when we need Bonner to score. But I’d try Bonner with her height first. #Stewie Is Just Going To Back Her Down.

Yeah january on loyd might be better yeah. But when Bonner is defending Stewie and Griner on Howard then Howard will be on the perimeter spotting up. That might be the best shot for the mercury to give away because Stewie would eat bonner alive on the block

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
scrappy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh boy, the phoenix cheaters.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Yeah january on loyd might be better yeah. But when Bonner is defending Stewie and Griner on Howard then Howard will be on the perimeter spotting up. That might be the best shot for the mercury to give away because Stewie would eat bonner alive on the block

True.

Basically, Merc need to switch in order to keep BG in the post.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The matchup possibilities are fascinating ...

For Phoenix, how about Talbot on Bird? Bird isn't going to go around her (29 FTA all season, less than one a game), and Talbot is athletic. Then January goes to Loyd and DT to Clark, where they need her.

In addition, with Talbot on Bird, any pick-and-roll switch puts Talbot on a big, which is OK.

Bonner, I think, has to start out on Stewart, but if she gets in foul trouble, there's not much of a Plan B. If Griner guards Stewart, Stewart just camps beyond the three-point line and the whole Phoenix defensive scheme disappears.

So every minute Stewart is on the floor, Bonner is on the floor. If Loyd goes out, then January can rest.

For Seattle, Bird draws January, and I'm assuming she can stay in front of January well enough. Clark gets DT and Loyd relaxes on Talbot -- or put Loyd on January every once in a while let Bird battle Talbot (no threes, and screen out every time should do it).

Stewart has to guard Griner, I think, but Paris might be able to muscle her a little bit, so she might get some minutes.

I always have fun with this stuff, and then none of it happens, of course. That's why I coach in high school ...

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing a 5 game series is different than a 1 game. Any team can win a 1 game series but a 5? With talent pretty much equal, the bigger more physical team has the advantage. Pretty hard to physically play against bigger and stronger players on a continuing basis. The wear-down factor usually sets in.

However, the way to success for the lighter faster team is to make shots and run the shit out of the bigger heavier and in this case older opponents, i.e., just like boxing and UFC.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Playing a 5 game series is different than a 1 game. Any team can win a 1 game series but a 5? With talent pretty much equal, the bigger more physical team has the advantage. Pretty hard to physically play against bigger and stronger players on a continuing basis. The wear-down factor usually sets in.

The wear down factor favors a deeper team. That works against a team like Phoenix.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since moving Bonner to PF. The mercury are a different basketball team on both sides of the ball. With DB being highly active and spreading the half court offense, doubling Griner's going to be much more difficult. The defensive rotations will be longer. This will give Griner more time to make a decision(pass, shoot)...Matching up with Bonner in transition is another issue...Howard led the league in Fouls. I believe she’s more susceptible to getting in foul trouble guarding Bonner than if she was defending Sancho.

Seattle does have one obvious advantage in this series,and that’s J.Loyd...Taurasi,nor Talbot are capable of slowing JL down…...Loyd’s offensive production/consistency could be the difference.Don’t be surprised if January/Bonner are given the task of guarding Loyd.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Since moving Bonner to PF. The mercury are a different basketball team on both sides of the ball. With DB being highly active and spreading the half court offense, doubling Griner's going to be much more difficult. The defensive rotations will be longer. This will give Griner more time to make a decision(pass, shoot)...Matching up with Bonner in transition is another issue...Howard led the league in Fouls. I believe she’s more susceptible to getting in foul trouble guarding Bonner than if she was defending Sancho.

Seattle does have one obvious advantage in this series,and that’s J.Loyd...Taurasi,nor Talbot are capable of slowing JL down…...Loyd’s offensive production/consistency could be the difference.Don’t be surprised if January/Bonner are given the task of guarding Loyd.

There isn’t a good reason not to put January on Loyd.

Sue is still a fantastic passer, and you can’t leave her wide open, but she’s not a scorer. Easy to put DT on her. In fact, DT’s height may hurt Sue’s vision a bit. (And, DT doesn’t have to try and keep up with cutters.)

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking forward to this series, in a 1 game I would take PHX, in 3 the deeper team may take it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: