RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A better question might be why someone who got into a physical altercation with their coach got a 1st place vote.

For firing the coach? I think it was zune's vote.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did notice that Sienko was only included on 10/11 ballots. Hmmm, someone holds a grudge? haha

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I did notice that Sienko was only included on 10/11 ballots. Hmmm, someone holds a grudge? haha

Execs are not allowed to vote for themselves

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Execs are not allowed to vote for themselves

12 teams/12 execs/max 11 votes. He had 6 first, 4 second. Seattle's exec was on 11 ballots.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Before being named the Dream’s general manager in November 2017, Sienko joined the franchise the previous month as an adviser to assist with hiring a new head coach. In that role, he was instrumental in the hiring of Nicki Collen. In her first head coaching position at any level, Collen guided Atlanta to the No. 2 seed in the 2018 WNBA Playoffs. Collen today was named the 2018 WNBA Coach of the Year.

Under his leadership, the additions began in February when the Dream re-signed five-time All-Star Angel McCoughtry to a multi-year contract and signed former All-Stars Jessica Breland and Renee Montgomery as unrestricted veteran free agents. McCoughtry averaged 16.5 points and a career-high 6.0 rebounds per game this season. Breland registered career bests in rebounds (7.9 rpg) and blocks (1.91 bpg). Montgomery (10.3 ppg) posted her highest scoring average in six years.

In July, Atlanta acquired guard Alex Bentley from the Connecticut Sun in exchange for guard Layshia Clarendon and a second-round pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft. Bentley played a key role coming off the bench for the Dream, which posted a 14-2 record after trading for the six-year veteran. Sienko also signed Hayes to a multi-year extension in August, further solidifying the Dream’s nucleus."

Here’s where my cynical side kicks in. He was ATL’s adviser before becoming their GM? Did the hire of Collen facilitate the hiring of him as a GM? Like might as well hire Chris, since they’ve worked together before. It all seems very odd. Did Seinko know that Collen was this good or was it just the easiest hire that potentially helps him out.

Part 2. When Thibault went to the Mystics, he said being a GM shouldn’t be a problem for him since he made ALL the player personnel decisions in Connecticut. The Connecticut GM Seinko just made sure the numbers worked and signed the contracts. I have no problem giving Seinko credit if all these moves were exclusively his doing, but I’m more than a little skeptical of that and I don’t want to blindly give him credit. How many of these moves were what Collen wanted and were the result of Collen making the calls and putting in the work to make it happen. Because it really does seem like it was Collen who was able to connect with the players and make them want come to ATL.

When you have separate coaching and GM jobs, it’s a lot tougher to access credit or blame for the moves. When the same person does both jobs, they get ALL the credit or blame.

Reeve, how’s it feel getting all the credit for this year’s moves? As Vikings QB Kirk Cousins would say, “You like that!!”
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bsB7UQ8BlE0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/28/18 1:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think Nicki and Chris should get, like, tag team belts. Or at least spiky shoulder pads like The Road Warriors wore.

They helped each other earn their individual awards for this year, collaboratively (which is fine). Their next shot at a Coach+GM brace comes in a couple years, when it's time to tear down and rebuild. But coming in and NOT tearing down right away, instead building on what was here, is part of the reason they got the edge.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
I do think Nicki and Chris should get, like, tag team belts. Or at least spiky shoulder pads like The Road Warriors wore.

They helped each other earn their individual awards for this year, collaboratively (which is fine). Their next shot at a Coach+GM brace comes in a couple years, when it's time to tear down and rebuild. But coming in and NOT tearing down right away, instead building on what was here, is part of the reason they got the edge.

When you win there is plenty of credit to go around. When you lose there is plenty of blame to go around.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Reeve, how’s it feel getting all the credit for this year’s moves? As Vikings QB Kirk Cousins would say, “You like that, don’t you?!”

According most Lynx fans, the media, and Reeve herself, Reeve has never made any mistakes in her life, and there are excuses for anything, or misleading statements like Reeve had to get rid of Howard because she couldn't afford her with the salary cap which is like saying a person who decided he'd rather spend all his money on fake jewelry and paintings and has no money left over for food is starving because he can't afford food.
I've seen all the mistakes other teams have made (my initial fear was Reeve getting rid of Howard will be like the Twins getting rid of David Ortiz, or the Thunder getting rid of James Harden for little, instead of giving him the contract he wanted), so that's why I'm mad I didn't trust my gut that Reeve was winning titles for other teams and destroying the Lynx and put money on it before the season started. I'm never giving her the benefit of the doubt for anything again, until she proves otherwise.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
A better question might be why someone who got into a physical altercation with their coach got a 1st place vote.

For firing the coach? I think it was zune's vote.

we had so many physical altercations i had to think about which one you were referring too Embarassed smh

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it fair (or, faulty) to assume that if Breland was going to be announced as DPOY, it would've happened today as well?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Is it fair (or, faulty) to assume that if Breland was going to be announced as DPOY, it would've happened today as well?

+1 #Robbed for Big Syl im sure.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:

I think so.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we have a thread on which coaches will ousted yet?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/28/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I am not surprised by Nikki Collen winning COY, the margin of victory is perplexing. I have always viewed COY as the team that does the best relative to their expectation. Collen did a fine job, but going back to the preseason choices Atlanta was generally rated ahead of Seattle and roughly on par with Washington. The difference seems to be that Atlanta played poorly at the start of the season (not coaching) but did very well at the end (coaching). Dan Hughes did a fantastic job bringing the Storm together early and being the best team throughout. Mike Thibault did a wonderful job of incorporating a rookie (Atkins) and a second year, second round draft pick into the lineup and overcoming the absence of Meesseman to have the third best record. I actually think Rebkell got it right with Hughes nosing out Collen, but 37-1-1 makes almost no sense to me. The only reason I can come up with is ...

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
While I am not surprised by Nikki Collen winning COY, the margin of victory is perplexing. I have always viewed COY as the team that does the best relative to their expectation. Collen did a fine job, but going back to the preseason choices Atlanta was generally rated ahead of Seattle and roughly on par with Washington. The difference seems to be that Atlanta played poorly at the start of the season (not coaching) but did very well at the end (coaching). Dan Hughes did a fantastic job bringing the Storm together early and being the best team throughout. Mike Thibault did a wonderful job of incorporating a rookie (Atkins) and a second year, second round draft pick into the lineup and overcoming the absence of Meesseman to have the third best record. I actually think Rebkell got it right with Hughes nosing out Collen, but 37-1-1 makes almost no sense to me. The only reason I can come up with is ...

Well, don't keep us in suspense...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The only reason I can come up with is ...

I see two reasons: a) She got more press towards the end of the season, and the WNBA award voters are a thoroughly impressionable group.
b) Seattle had the MVP, which makes voters think "oh, well Collen got it done with much less", especially once McCoughtry got hurt.

I would've happily split it between Collen and Hughes, as I said a couple of weeks ago. Both would've been thoroughly deserved winners.

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA

Verified account

@WNBA
2m2 minutes ago
More
Congrats to @Alanabeard20 of the @LA_Sparks on winning her 2nd straight #WNBA Defensive Player of the Year award!

pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beard is DPOY again

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really thought the door was wide open for somebody else to win this year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Beard is DPOY again

haha JINX! Wink

I was really hoping and kind of expecting Breland to get it, but alas, you can't have it all. Hopefully she made the defensive team. I'm waiting to see a breakdown of votes. I wouldn't expect it to be unanimous or clear cut this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DPOY voting

16 Alana Beard
9 Sylvia Fowles
4 Tiffany Hayes
2 Jessica Breland
2 Brittney Griner
1 Alysha Clark
1 Natasha Howard
1 LaToya Sanders
1 Breanna Stewart
1 Brittney Sykes
1 Gabby Williams

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Alana <3

The grandmas killed it this year.

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA All-Defensive First Team:
Alana Beard
Brittney Griner
Jasmine Thomas
Natasha Howard
Jessica Breland

WNBA All-Defensive Second Team:
Sylvia Fowles
Tiffany Hayes
Rebekkah Brunson
Nneka Ogwumike
Ariel Atkins

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA All-Defensive First Team:
Alana Beard
Brittney Griner
Jasmine Thomas
Natasha Howard
Jessica Breland

WNBA All-Defensive Second Team:
Sylvia Fowles
Tiffany Hayes
Rebekkah Brunson
Nneka Ogwumike
Ariel Atkins

Well, that's interesting. Tiffany was 3rd in DPOY voting but only makes All-Defensive Second Team. Yes, I know voting is different between the award and the team, but still, interesting.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/30/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
DPOY voting

16 Alana Beard
9 Sylvia Fowles
4 Tiffany Hayes
2 Jessica Breland
2 Brittney Griner
1 Alysha Clark
1 Natasha Howard
1 LaToya Sanders
1 Breanna Stewart
1 Brittney Sykes
1 Gabby Williams

hahahahahahahahhahhahahahhahhahahhhahahhaha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: