RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Leaving Delle Donne off I find harder to see a thought process for.

She missed five games. That's a lot by MVP standards.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She missed four games.

Richyyy

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Well, she only actually missed four due to injury - there were only 33 games to play in for Washington due to the Vegas forfeit. But I guess it's true that that could've played into the thinking of voters. 4/33 is the equivalent of an NBA player missing 10 games in an 82-game season, though. I'd say that's within the bounds of reasonable these days (but also a potential tie-break if you're trying to decide between close options).

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Well, she only actually missed four due to injury - there were only 33 games to play in for Washington due to the Vegas forfeit. But I guess it's true that that could've played into the thinking of voters. 4/33 is the equivalent of an NBA player missing 10 games in an 82-game season, though. I'd say that's within the bounds of reasonable these days (but also a potential tie-break if you're trying to decide between close options).

fwiw Harden won the 2017-18 NBA MVP with 72 games played

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
But if not her, then should former All-Star Chiney Ogwumike be the 6WOY?

Good point......However,Ogwumike was returning from a career-threatening injury and was three years removed from being an All-Star.There were many questions about her health and future as a pro basketball player.Chiney being an All-Star was no guarantee.The last year Chiney played she only avg 12p/7r...It wasn't as if she was a All-Star MVP candidate when she last played.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the WNBA doesn't invent a Chiney Ogwumike award to give to her every year. I have never seen a player get more love and hype and press without really doing all that much. Yes, her injuries are unfortunate and I'm glad that she bounced back. But to have her in the MVP conversation this year is ridiculous.

I mean there's her teammate Alyssa Thomas...

zune69

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations Stewie...My vision became a reality

From 2016...

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Stewart with a casual 24 pt, 16 reb, 4 ast, 3 stl game.
The transition has been pretty rough on her.

18.7p/9.8r/3.2a/1.9b/1.4s/46%/33%/83%

Future MVP

Hopefully Dallas wins 20 games next season...I would like to see Cambage win the MVP.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
fwiw Harden won the 2017-18 NBA MVP with 72 games played

Yeah, but I think you're getting close to the boundary there where it becomes a topic of conversation before the voting. As long as the Games Played number still starts with a 7 you're probably okay.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
2nd place MVP votes for Maya Moore and Kayla McBride? The hell?

And Vandersloot got two Most Improved votes, for a season strikingly similar to what she did last year. Yeesh.

Stewart was the only player to appear on all 39 ballots. Cambage was on 37, left off by two voters. Delle Donne was on 38, left off by one voter.

I actually get leaving Cambage off entirely. I would guess that's two voters who feel that when your team finishes 15-19 (amazingly a worse record than when she didn't show up the year before), you don't get to count as hugely 'valuable'. Leaving Delle Donne off I find harder to see a thought process for.

Maya as 2nd in an MVP ballot is weird, in her worst-ever WNBA season on an 18-16 Lynx squad, but I guess you could feel that without her they'd have totally cratered into a lottery team and with the core aging around her she's become more valuable. McBride in 2nd is idiotic, on a 14-20 team where she clearly wasn't even the most valuable player on her own roster. That one's bizarre.

One of those voters had a personal agenda...that vote not being given was NOT about basketball. You know it as well

Btw Congrats Stewie on an awesome season for an awesome team. Hope all prevails against the mighty merc. Would suck if ______

PostPosted: 08/26/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Good point......However,Ogwumike was returning from a career-threatening injury and was three years removed from being an All-Star.There were many questions about her health and future as a pro basketball player.Chiney being an All-Star was no guarantee.The last year Chiney played she only avg 12p/7r...It wasn't as if she was a All-Star MVP candidate when she last played.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the WNBA doesn't invent a Chiney Ogwumike award to give to her every year. I have never seen a player get more love and hype and press without really doing all that much. Yes, her injuries are unfortunate and I'm glad that she bounced back. But to have her in the MVP conversation this year is ridiculous.

Unless I missed something, and I admit I don't read all the threads and watch all the games, but I haven't seen or read anything that says Chiney Ogwumike should be considered MVP this year. And if I read the votes correctly and there was no missing from the list she didn't receive any votes. Could you be more specific on how the WNBA or anyone related to the WNBA or on this board put her in the conversation for this years MVP award.

Edit: Never mind, I just read the Race to the MVP.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Unless I missed something, and I admit I don't read all the threads and watch all the games, but I haven't seen or read anything that says Chiney Ogwumike should be considered MVP this year. And if I read the votes correctly and there was no missing from the list she didn't receive any votes. Could you be more specific on how the WNBA or anyone related to the WNBA or on this board put her in the conversation for this years MVP award.

She showed up as #10 in the final MVP rankings posted in the “Race to MVP” thread. You can read the author’s explanation at the link provided in that thread.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/27/18 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney is on the list to give Connecticut some representation. They earned a top 4 seed so why not have one of their players in the top 10?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta’s Nicki Collen Named 2018 WNBA Coach Of The Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/atlantas-nicki-collen-named-2018-wnba-coach-of-the-year/

Quote:
2018 WNBA COACH OF THE YEAR RESULTS
Coach Team Votes

Nicki Collen Atlanta Dream 37

Dan Hughes Seattle Storm 1

Mike Thibault Washington Mystics 1

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chris Sienko Named 2018 WNBA Basketball Executive Of The Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/atlantas-chris-sienko-named-2018-wnba-basketball-executive-of-the-year/

Quote:
Executive, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Total

Chris Sienko, Atlanta 6 4 — 42

Alisha Valavanis, Seattle 5 3 3 37

Mike Thibault, Washington — 3 1 10

Greg Bibb, Dallas 1 — 1 6

Bill Laimbeer, Las Vegas — 1 3 6

Penny Toler, Los Angeles — 1 — 3

Dan Padover, New York — — 1 1

Jim Pittman, Phoenix — — 1 1

Cheryl Reeve, Minnesota — — 1 1

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I am outraged that Cheryl Reeve didn't win EOY as she clearly did her job, which was to turn the Seattle Storm into the top team in the WNBA, better than anybody else!

Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Nicki and Chris. 37-1-1 wasn't very close.

Very Happy

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Congratulations to Nicki and Chris. 37-1-1 wasn't very close.

Very Happy

They really should to do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place votes for all the WNBA Awards where they only have you vote for one person. Especially for years with a super-obvious Rookie of the Year, it would be fun to know who'd finish 2nd, without having a crazy voter give a stray vote to someone other than A'ja Wilson.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Atlanta’s Nicki Collen Named 2018 WNBA Coach Of The Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/atlantas-nicki-collen-named-2018-wnba-coach-of-the-year/

Quote:
2018 WNBA COACH OF THE YEAR RESULTS
Coach Team Votes

Nicki Collen Atlanta Dream 37

Dan Hughes Seattle Storm 1

Mike Thibault Washington Mystics 1

BOOYAH!

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

This should answer a question for Liberty fans. I’ve never heard of him.

Pittman should be insulted that his performance was seen at the the level of Reeve’s. Since it appears to be fellow GM’s voting for each other, Reeve probably got a vote from the SEA GM as a big thank you for the franchise-changing trade. Of course, Reeve also helped out PHX by being able to unload DRob and her expensive contract onto the Lynx so they could pick up a better PG in January, and they only dropped 4 places in the first round. PHX also scored Lyttle who was helpful while she was healthy.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.wnba.com/news/atlantas-chris-sienko-named-2018-wnba-basketball-executive-of-the-year/

Quote:
Executive, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Total

Chris Sienko, Atlanta 6 4 — 42

Alisha Valavanis, Seattle 5 3 3 37

Mike Thibault, Washington — 3 1 10

Greg Bibb, Dallas 1 — 1 6

Bill Laimbeer, Las Vegas — 1 3 6

Penny Toler, Los Angeles — 1 — 3

What did he even do?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Before being named the Dream’s general manager in November 2017, Sienko joined the franchise the previous month as an adviser to assist with hiring a new head coach. In that role, he was instrumental in the hiring of Nicki Collen. In her first head coaching position at any level, Collen guided Atlanta to the No. 2 seed in the 2018 WNBA Playoffs. Collen today was named the 2018 WNBA Coach of the Year.

Under his leadership, the additions began in February when the Dream re-signed five-time All-Star Angel McCoughtry to a multi-year contract and signed former All-Stars Jessica Breland and Renee Montgomery as unrestricted veteran free agents. McCoughtry averaged 16.5 points and a career-high 6.0 rebounds per game this season. Breland registered career bests in rebounds (7.9 rpg) and blocks (1.91 bpg). Montgomery (10.3 ppg) posted her highest scoring average in six years.

In July, Atlanta acquired guard Alex Bentley from the Connecticut Sun in exchange for guard Layshia Clarendon and a second-round pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft. Bentley played a key role coming off the bench for the Dream, which posted a 14-2 record after trading for the six-year veteran. Sienko also signed Hayes to a multi-year extension in August, further solidifying the Dream’s nucleus."

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
What did he even do?

Signed Breland and Montgomery. Convinced Angel to come back. Traded Clarendon for Bentley. Got a useful player in the 2nd round of the draft.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
What did he even do?

Signed Breland and Montgomery. Convinced Angel to come back. Traded Clarendon for Bentley. Got a useful player in the 2nd round of the draft.

I am actually very dumb and just got confused. Well deserved.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to both of them on very well earned awards. I think Collen really brought the Dream around defensively this year. Plus, I think the positive attitude she brought is great. It really looks like the team likes each other, likes playing with each other, likes being around each other. Just a few weeks ago, Angel posted that she went to work out with Collen.

Sienko did a great job picking the right free agent pieces in Breland and Montgomery. I was sad to see Clarendon go after a great couple of seasons but Bentley has been a great addition and another 3 point scoring threat which opens up the posts to score and the guards/wings to drive.

I hate that I can't be there tonight. Apparently my body decided to get a little sick before my beach trip. Better than during it I say!

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
What did he even do?

I am actually very dumb and just got confused. Well deserved.

You are not dumb, you didn't know so you asked. To me, that's very smart.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A better question might be why someone who got into a physical altercation with their coach got a 1st place vote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: