RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks Shades, wasn't sure how to embed from that site and didn't have the time to mess around with it.

Much appreciated.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UmCc02Axsjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qMlTa2jw4A8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TH4YZq0VtCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 05/24/19 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/43xNDr-gads" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DIxhKZFZ5Y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1678
Location: East Grand Forks, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seimone is out- knee for tomorrow and KCK is questionable- also knee.

Collier possibly starting tomorrow night?



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8xON-HJWMNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia Fowles returns as leader of young Lynx team

Quote:
For the record: Cheryl Reeve, the Lynx coach and general manager, offered Sylvia Fowles an out.

It was during the offseason. Maya Moore was on an open-ended sabbatical, Lindsay Whalen was retired, Rebekkah Brunson was (and is) questionable to return.

Reeve was about to embark on a radical remake of a roster that had produced four WNBA titles since 2011, a rebuild that could take some time. And she felt she owed Fowles, a 33-year-old perennial All-Star about to enter her 12th season, the chance to keep winning.

If you want to be somewhere else, tell me, Reeve said. If you want to go to a place closer to winning, say so.

Absolutely not.


Quote:
“You’re talking about loyalty here,” Fowles said this week, sitting in the lobby of the apartment complex where many Lynx players stay.

Fowles held out for half of the 2015 season to force a trade here from Chicago. By the time the Lynx won their third title that fall she was finals MVP. In 2017 she was MVP, both of the regular season and the finals, when the Lynx won their fourth title in seven seasons.

“It’s all good when things are going good. You have your Whalens, Moores, Brunsons, and everything is going smooth,” Fowles said. “Well, maybe things could be harder now. But I felt it was wrong to leave. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I’d rather stay here, do it the right way, finish in a Lynx jersey, leave this team in a good place.”



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/66AoW_OU0Kw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kF8YhiotgwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zEMvBaiQeig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D_O5HTn_g98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 05/26/19 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19244



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just thinking ahead for Minnesota, but with Moore back next season and another first round pick, the Lynx will be scary good in 2020. Even if Augustus retires this season.

PG: Robinson/Brown
SG: Sims/Zandalasini/first round pick
SF: Moore/Collier
PF: Dantas/Shepard
C: Fowles/Fagbenle/Coates



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve signed Christmas through 2021 guaranteed, and somehow you made her disappear.

Talbot’s too good to just disappear.

Have to see what happens the rest of the season. I wouldn’t exactly consider most of that bench as locks.

Reeve obsessively loading up on the SF position makes me think she’s worried about Maya retiring or wanting a trade and she’s preparing for life without Maya. (Christmas guaranteed through 2021, drafting Collier, still owning rights to Zandalisini, bringing on Ting and Talbot)

I have to keep reminding people, the league has only played one game this season. You shouldn’t make determinations on next season or even the rest of this season based on one game. A player can be a hero one game and a zero the rest of the season, or vice-versa, or most likely somewhere in between.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19244



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't know Christmas was there through 2021. Makes you wonder if Zandalasini will be back in 2020. Very crowded at SG & SF. First-round pick would likely be a post then.

PG: Robinson/Brown
SG: Sims/Christmas-Kelly/Zandalasini
SF: Moore/Talbot/Collier
PF: Dantas/Shepard/first round pick
C: Fowles/Fagbenle/Coates

Two cuts out of these 14.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
. A player can be a hero one game and a zero the rest of the season, or vice-versa, or most likely somewhere in between.

That is very true, and should not be discounted.

Though a couple of points:

1) When Reeve signed Christmas, she probably didn't think she would be getting Collier in the draft. I mean....

2) Isn't Ting the likely cut when Zandalasini arrives?

3) Players can easily go off for one game then regress, but for a rookie to do it is a very promising sign. I would be surprised if she maintained that this entire season, but to come out of the gate like that...second best first game by a rookie ever (to Parker back in 2008) should at the least be a highly auspicious sign for her potential future and what she can develop into in this league.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Moore actually comes back, there is always the potential to trade Christmas-Kelly.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12774



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:
. A player can be a hero one game and a zero the rest of the season, or vice-versa, or most likely somewhere in between.

That is very true, and should not be discounted.

Though a couple of points:

1) When Reeve signed Christmas, she probably didn't think she would be getting Collier in the draft. I mean....

2) Isn't Ting the likely cut when Zandalasini arrives?

3) Players can easily go off for one game then regress, but for a rookie to do it is a very promising sign. I would be surprised if she maintained that this entire season, but to come out of the gate like that...second best first game by a rookie ever (to Parker back in 2008) should at the least be a highly auspicious sign for her potential future and what she can develop into in this league.


The good thing about Collier is that she can help a team even when not scoring. She’s the best rookie defender at her size to come around in quite some time, in my estimation. High basketball IQ. Active rebounder. She won’t score 20 regularly in all likelihood, though she is a candidate to do it from time to time. She may not even score 25+ for the rest of the season. But as an active player with a versatile set of abilities, she’s an asset even when scoring single digits, with considerable upside to improve the perimeter scoring aspect in the future.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.


Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/26/19 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51473



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yyly93QY06s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Collier highlights. You can also see contributions from other Lynx. Dantas provides a couple of assists in the form of post passes, the first one being especially sweet. She has some nice floor vision. Shepard is also shown providing a post pass. She ended up with 6 assists in the game.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12774



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shepard played extremely well considering it was her first game. More mobile than I expected and just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25055



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shepard played extremely well considering it was her first game. More mobile than I expected and just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.


agree. she looks so awkward at times you think she can't possibly be any good. But she does the little things and as you say seems to be in the right place or make the right pass at the right time. Still reminds me a bit of JMac.

of course you have to remember they were playing Chicago...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19244



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shepard's game reminds me so much of McCarville. Had Shepard been drafted by another team, I'm not sure she'd been having as much success(though it was only one game so far).



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYSports56



Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 449
Location: New Jersey, USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
The good thing about Collier is that she can help a team even when not scoring. She’s the best rookie defender at her size to come around in quite some time, in my estimation. High basketball IQ. Active rebounder. She won’t score 20 regularly in all likelihood, though she is a candidate to do it from time to time. She may not even score 25+ for the rest of the season. But as an active player with a versatile set of abilities, she’s an asset even when scoring single digits, with considerable upside to improve the perimeter scoring aspect in the future.


I agree: she most definitely will not continue to shoot 80% from the floor and 75% from behind the arc. Smile But even if she had missed half her shots last night, it still would have been an amazing debut, because all of those things you mentioned. Last night, Napheesa demonstrated that she is a complete and astoundingly mature basketball player.

There are two offensive plays she made that impressed me the most. The first was a play where she was given the ball with her back to the basket at the top of the paint. The Sky made an admittedly poor attempt to double team her, but she beat it with a step to the right and an explosive move to the basket. It was really the only spectacular thing she did all night; everything else was simply just good basketball.

The second play was in transition. She was the target of a long pass right in front of the basket, but was closely guarded. Collier slowed herself just enough to slow down her defender, and gave herself enough room to then separate and make the catch and shot. It was far more like watching a seasoned veteran than a rookie making her debut.

Exciting stuff, I love watching a player with great instincts and, regardless of where it goes from here, Collier has those instincts.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8437
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One game everyone one game. Shout outs to the rookie s though!!![/url]



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
One game everyone one game. Shout outs to the rookie s though!!!

Seeing that everyone here has literally prefaced their thoughts with the caveat that it was one game against a suspected lottery team, I think that is well understood....

The thing that has us all a little awestruck is that it was a rookie's first game ever at this level. If the one game was from a non-rookie or was mid-season or something, it wouldn't be quite as impressive (though a game like that is always worth noting).



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
NYSports56



Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 449
Location: New Jersey, USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
One game everyone one game. Shout outs to the rookie s though!!![/url]


No doubt; drawing conclusions from opening day is as foolhardy as it gets. I'm sure Collier's rookie season will have many bumps. But a rookie can't fake veteran-like instincts if she doesn't have them, and I thought Nepheesa showed them in abundance last night.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14707
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Sylvia Fowles returns as leader of young Lynx team

Quote:
For the record: Cheryl Reeve, the Lynx coach and general manager, offered Sylvia Fowles an out.

It was during the offseason. Maya Moore was on an open-ended sabbatical, Lindsay Whalen was retired, Rebekkah Brunson was (and is) questionable to return.

Reeve was about to embark on a radical remake of a roster that had produced four WNBA titles since 2011, a rebuild that could take some time. And she felt she owed Fowles, a 33-year-old perennial All-Star about to enter her 12th season, the chance to keep winning.

If you want to be somewhere else, tell me, Reeve said. If you want to go to a place closer to winning, say so.

Absolutely not.


Quote:
“You’re talking about loyalty here,” Fowles said this week, sitting in the lobby of the apartment complex where many Lynx players stay.

Fowles held out for half of the 2015 season to force a trade here from Chicago. By the time the Lynx won their third title that fall she was finals MVP. In 2017 she was MVP, both of the regular season and the finals, when the Lynx won their fourth title in seven seasons.

“It’s all good when things are going good. You have your Whalens, Moores, Brunsons, and everything is going smooth,” Fowles said. “Well, maybe things could be harder now. But I felt it was wrong to leave. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I’d rather stay here, do it the right way, finish in a Lynx jersey, leave this team in a good place.”


This almost got lost in all of the embedded video posts. After the shit she pulled with Chicago, the gall of quotes from Fowles is breathtaking.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

This almost got lost in all of the embedded video posts. After the shit she pulled with Chicago, the gall of quotes from Fowles is breathtaking.

Yeah, I kind of had to read that a couple of times myself.

But seeing that she also flat up refused Reeve's offer to move her to a contender even though she is still in her prime, and said she would rather play out her career in Minnesota and retire a Lynx helping them with their rebuild suggests that leaving Chicago might not have been all about "Championship Chasing" as much as wanting to play for a model franchise. I mean Collier mentioned it in the video that I linked to (and that Shades embedded above) but when she was drafted a bunch of her teammates told her they were jealous of her because Minnesota is known for having the best facilities in the league, an elite coaching staff, and one of the best fan bases out there.

One of the players I talked to once told me that it was pretty much a thing in the league for most players: if you get a chance to go to Minnesota, you go.

And compare that to the struggles Chicago has had with keeping players, and although I think it has gotten a bit better now, when Fowles left it was not known as a place that was all that great to play.

So it sounds weird for Fowles to say that...but it might also be "Loyalty deserves loyalty". Minnesota gives their players so much, that she feels it only right to give back. Chicago, at that time, not so much.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25055



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:


This almost got lost in all of the embedded video posts. After the shit she pulled with Chicago, the gall of quotes from Fowles is breathtaking.


I thought that too. But everyone keeps telling me to let bygones be bygones. What really gets me is the demands to go to one place only and then when the team giving up a superstar gets very little in return. Fowles was the absolute worst in that regard. Frankly I would have made her sit out rather than giving her away for nothing. If Minny wanted her, they should have given up something for her. The others...Tina C, EDD, Cambage - at least the giving team got something. Not much, but something. You're never going to get a superstar in return, but you should at least get some usable pieces.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7391
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Frankly I would have made her sit out rather than giving her away for nothing.

Honestly, if I'm running a team that is what I would do as well. I don't understand why a team would trade a player's rights to another team unless they get something that they actually feel good about.

I think the other trades got more in return because the teams were willing to do just that. So if the team wanted the player, they had to make with the offer. Since Minnesota basically told Chicago that they felt confident of their chances without Fowles (which may or may not have been a bluff) Chicago made, imo, a poor choice and just took the best of whatever scraps were offered.

But just as I am not going to blame the teams for doing what is in their best interest (in this case, Chicago should have told her to enjoy her summer off), I'm not going to blame an employee for not wanting to work for a shitty employer and doing everything in their power to be able to work for the employer of their dreams.

The more I have gotten to know of Fowles' personality, the more clear it is that her desire to join the Lynx was not about chasing rings (though it surely factored in, what competitor doesn't want to play on championship teams?), but about the Lynx Organization as a whole (and more specifically how it was the polar opposite of the shitshow that was the Sky Organization at that time). She was burned out by the lack of support out there and felt that her game had stopped progressing, and really wanted what Minnesota could offer.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin