RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 01/19/19 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simplest solution would be to up the 50k stay at home bonus $. However, the keep the likes of Moore at home it might take 500k or more. Another way to do it would be to up the pay for a cored player substantially. This would probably eliminate the coring of players who aren't really superstars. Naturally, the rest of the players probably won't like giving huge pay increases to a dozen players will the rest get a small increase, if any.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/19/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Maya doesn’t follow this loser’s lead.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/19/19 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I hope Maya doesn’t follow this loser’s lead.

Why should it be about money? If Maya tears every ligament in her body, I'd still be fine paying her max and taking up cap space, and just tank the way you're supposed to—by a star player having a legit injury. If anything, Maya should want to go to a team committed to winning, as Reeve made it clear last off-season she doesn't value Maya or think she is anything special of a player, or she would've made putting/keeping talent around Maya her top priority instead of putting as much talent as possible around Breanna Stewart so the Storm players can all end up with more titles than Maya. That's why Maya should have any reason to demand out of Minnesota, so she can prove she can win titles by actually playing for a coach/team who actually thinks she's a player worth building around, instead letting her career go to waste.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn’t looking at it that deeply. I was simply talking about him sitting out the whole season. Obviously their financial situations are very different.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/19 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheryl Reeve for a day: Three Maya Moore trade ideas

https://highposthoops.com/2019/01/22/cheryl-reeve-day-maya-moore-trade-ideas-minnesota-lynx/

Here’s Megdal’s three Maya trade ideas. Go to the link for his analysis. I’m adding my own thoughts on them.

Quote:
Trade 1: Atlanta trades Tiffany Hayes, Brittney Sykes and the eleventh pick in the 2019 draft for Maya Moore

Too many guards and none are a PG! The Lynx already have Wright signed most likely with a guaranteed contract. So that’s 3 SG’s, with Augustus looking like she wants to come back. I guess Wright could be used as a backup PG and then AJones shipped out. Augustus could return to the SF position where she was before Maya joined the team (Wiggins at SG), but I never loved her as an SF. She’s not an aggressive rebounder like I like for the position. Reeve has shown a weakness for Bentley (as another possibility) before, but I’m not a huge fan. Too many high priced contracts in backup positions.

The 11th pick isn’t a big factor in a trade for Maya. Maya would probably want to go to ATL, but I consider them one of the weaker potential trading partners.

Robinson/AJones
Hayes/Sykes/Wright
Augustus/Zandalasini
Brunson/#6/#11
Fowles/Fagbenle

Maybe it could work. A little too much youth in the frontline.
Definitely looks like a shell of a Lynx team.
Since Laimbeer seemed to be pursuing Wright last year, maybe they can trade her for Coffey.

Quote:
Trade 2: New York trades Kia Nurse, Kiah Stokes, the second overall pick and a 2020 pick for Maya Moore

Nurse could be a one year wonder like Stokes.

Robinson/AJones
Augustus/Nurse/Wright
Zandalasini/#6
Brunson/Fagbenle/#2
Fowles/Stokes

Plus 2020 first round pick??

Okay, I misread this trade at first if you read this earlier. Not as terrible as I first thought. I think I’d still prefer Zahui over Stokes.

Quote:
Trade 3: Connecticut trades Chiney Ogwumike, Morgan Tuck, Lexie Brown and the ninth overall pick for Maya Moore

Seems like Megdal sniffed out my Chiney trade idea (for 6th pick) and diverted it towards a Maya trade idea. Ever thought of Banham instead of Brown? Megdal clearly isn’t familiar where players come from. Brown would only be marginally better than AJones, and then AJones would likely be shipped out so that’s like a non factor part of the trade. Tuck could play Maya’s position but definitely no Maya.

Robinson/Brown
Augustus/Wright/(AJones vs #9)
Tuck/Zandalasini
COgwumike/Brunson/#6
Fowles/Fagbenle

He clearly has an east coast bias, and is avoiding the best potential trade partner of all.

Last edited by Shades on 01/22/19 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
toad455

PostPosted: 01/22/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Liberty trade would leave them with just Charles, Moore, Zahui B, Rodgers and Boyd. 5 starters with the bench being nothing but scrubs unless Moore can get some FAs to sign. I also don't see her going to play in Westchester for a season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 01/22/19 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/22/19 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer my Atl and Conn trades

Atl
Hayes, Breland and #11

Conn
J. Thomas, A. Thomas and #9

NY doesn't have the pieces for Moore IMO

But based on nothing my new opinion is the Moore does not want to leave she just wants to take a year off. In 2020 she would be signing her contract under a new CBA. And similar to the year Taurasi took off this is a good time to rest and heal, explore other career paths, do a short lucrative over-seas deal in the fall (China half a season in Russia) and prepare for 2020 W and Olympics.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 01/22/19 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/22/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
Trade 1: Atlanta trades Tiffany Hayes, Brittney Sykes and the eleventh pick in the 2019 draft for Maya Moore

Too many guards and none are a PG! The Lynx already have Wright signed most likely with a guaranteed contract. So that’s 3 SG’s, with Augustus looking like she wants to come back. I guess Wright could be used as a backup PG and then AJones shipped out. Augustus could return to the SF position where she was before Maya joined the team (Wiggins at SG), but I never loved her as an SF. She’s not an aggressive rebounder like I like for the position. Reeve has shown a weakness for Bentley (as another possibility) before, but I’m not a huge fan. Too many high priced contracts in backup positions.

Quote:
Trade 3: Connecticut trades Chiney Ogwumike, Morgan Tuck, Lexie Brown and the ninth overall pick for Maya Moore

I like this one better than the Liberty one. Seems like Megdal sniffed out my Chiney trade idea (for 6th pick) and diverted towards a Maya trade idea. Ever thought of Banham instead of Brown? Megdal clearly isn’t familiar where players come from. Brown would only be marginally better than AJones, and then AJones would likely be shipped out so that’s like a non factor part of the trade. Tuck could play Maya’s position but definitely no Maya.

He clearly has an east coast bias, and is avoiding the best potential trade partner of all.

Considering you were complaining about a point guard with the first trade scenario, then complain about no focusing on geography when a point guard is included in a trade...

Also, I have lost track of the number of times you claim that Megdal and others sniffed out your ideas. I mean, you must have been the only person in the entire world who thought of including Chiney Ogwumike in a trade...

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/22/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

But based on nothing my new opinion is the Moore does not want to leave she just wants to take a year off. In 2020 she would be signing her contract under a new CBA. And similar to the year Taurasi took off this is a good time to rest and heal, explore other career paths, do a short lucrative over-seas deal in the fall (China half a season in Russia) and prepare for 2020 W and Olympics.

That is my understanding as well, with the caveat that I don't have any sources connected directly to Moore or this situation, and what I am hearing is second hand from people with slight better sources (and even those sources are removed from Moore and her camp who are very private people). But what I am led to understand is that no trade demand has been made and that Maya loves playing for the Lynx.

Now that could still mean that she has been privately expressing a desire to pull a Whalen and finish her career at home in Georgia (unlike Augustus and Brunson who have adopted Minny as at least a second home, Georgia remains very much Maya's), but it would take all these other "trade" offers off the table as it would not be her wanting to get away from someplace but rather to get TO someplace. But I have no information at all about any of that, that is just me riffing about a possibility of what could create a rumor. Also what could create a rumor is her simply discussing taking a year off and a bunch of over-reactions and assumptions led that to "omg she wants a trade because she was cored".

PostPosted: 01/22/19 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I prefer my Atl and Conn trades

Atl
Hayes, Breland and #11

Makes more sense than 2 SG’s.

The irony is that they’re both second round picks, and Breland was originally drafted by the Lynx but never played for them. So Maya would be traded for two originally second round picks and #11, which is only a couple of slots from a second round pick.

J-Spoon wrote:

Conn
J. Thomas, A. Thomas and #9

I don’t think he’d ever give up AThomas, not even for Maya. Tears would run down Miller’s face at the thought of it.

I don’t think AThomas & JThomas are together anymore, so they may actually want to play on different teams.

J-Spoon wrote:

NY doesn't have the pieces for Moore IMO

Megdal’s trade wasn’t as bad as I first thought, but I’m not seeing Maya being drawn to the Liberty. I figure either she wants to go home or go to a winner. ATL has the potential for both.

J-Spoon wrote:

She could sign a one year deal so it doesn’t conflict with the new CBA. I think too much is being made of not signing long contracts before the new CBA. Several players already have long contracts and they’re not going to let them get screwed over, even in the unlikelihood they get some kind of big raise.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/22/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus we all know what's really happening here. Maya sits out, Fowles comes back but has to have her wisdom teeth removed...

HEEEELLLLOOOO SABRINA!

PostPosted: 01/22/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Plus we all know what's really happening here. Maya sits out, Fowles comes back but has to have her wisdom teeth removed...

HEEEELLLLOOOO SABRINA!

Or Fowles needs surgery on her elbow. You realize she can declare early.
If she declares early, then the Lynx end up with about a 10% chance at Lauren Cox. Not worth it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/22/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:

HEEEELLLLOOOO SABRINA!

Or Fowles needs surgery on her elbow. You realize she can declare early.
If she declares early, then the Lynx end up with about a 10% chance at Lauren Cox. Not worth it.

Well then everyone comes back and plays and Fowles doesn't need her wisdom teeth removed. Duh.

Wink

PostPosted: 01/23/19 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sykes and a 1st in addition to Hayes who is probably better than Maya currently?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/23/19 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Sykes and a 1st in addition to Hayes who is probably better than Maya currently?

Im not a big Maya fan but i had to laugh a little when i read that. Hayes had her best wnba season while Maya had one of her worst seasons and Maya still had better numbers then Hayes..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/23/19 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Im not a big Maya fan but i had to laugh a little when i read that. Hayes had her best wnba season while Maya had one of her worst seasons and Maya still had better numbers then Hayes..

I dunno. But Maya will probably go back to being an MVP front-runner if she plays for a real WNBA team with a real coach (especially the COY on the DREAM TEAM). Reeve tricked people into thinking Howard was just a mediocre role player instead of a superstar, so she's trying to trick people into thinking Maya isn't an MVP-caliber superstar too, but it probably isn't working as well. 😂

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/23/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rumor I just heard from Georgia is that Maya is just tired, and is likely to sit out this season -- and conceivably even retire.

If she feels she has enough money, she can find another basketball job relatively easily. The year-round grind, which has been going on for her since she was 9 or 10, eventually wears away any enthusiasm for the game. And it's a hard job if playing doesn't excite you any more.

PostPosted: 01/23/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, another mysterious rumor or speculation most likely taken off Twitter.

If Maya is “tired”, it must be mentally. She’s had more rest than she’s ever had even without taking the WNBA season off.

If she takes the WNBA season off and then ends up playing a full season at UMMC, I’m calling BS. She might be doing the same thing they did with Taurasi, except keeping it down low. I’m watching you, Maya.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/23/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cue the music, As the basketball turns......

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 01/23/19 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Yes, one player has been on a clear decline why the other has been trending upwards.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was from a week ago. I think Reeve just being at this game could answer a big question about Maya. Maybe not.

I think Reeve chooses games where she can scout a couple of players if possible. In this game, Reeve would be scouting Sophie Cunningham and Caliya Robinson.

I don’t think Reeve is going to go out of the way to scout second rounders in person. I don’t believe Reeve thinks Cunningham will be available at #16, so that may indicate Reeve could be interested in Cunningham at #5.

Positionally, Cunningham is a lot like Zandalasini. Ideally she’s a SF. She’s tough enough to play some spot PF, and she’s versatile enough to be a big guard. For Reeve to be interested in Cunningham on the heels of the mysterious Maya announcement could be an indication that she already knows Maya won’t show up this season. It would surprise me if Reeve was interested in Cunningham with this high of a pick if Maya was showing up this season.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/25/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad Reeve was there because Sophie didn't have that great of a game. I want her to be available at 11. BTW - this is why I really shouldn't waste time scouting players - they never have a good game when when I'm watching. Against SC Sophie got 24, but really didn't do much until the game was over and then scored the last 14 points.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/25/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

This was from a week ago. I think Reeve just being at this game could answer a big question about Maya. Maybe not.

I think Reeve chooses games where she can scout a couple of players if possible. In this game, Reeve would be scouting Sophie Cunningham and Caliya Robinson.

I don’t think Reeve is going to go out of the way to scout second rounders in person. I don’t believe Reeve thinks Cunningham will be available at #16, so that may indicate Reeve could be interested in Cunningham at #5.

Positionally, Cunningham is a lot like Zandalasini. Ideally she’s a SF. She’s tough enough to play some spot PF, and she’s versatile enough to be a big guard. For Reeve to be interested in Cunningham on the heels of the mysterious Maya announcement could be an indication that she already knows Maya won’t show up this season. It would surprise me if Reeve was interested in Cunningham with this high of a pick if Maya was showing up this season.

She was there in Georgia to speak face to face with Maya. Pretty sure the game was secondary and a "since we are here, might as well" two birds; one stone, type thing. Wouldn't read much more into it than that.

PostPosted: 01/25/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on topic but going in a slightly different direction

Shades (or anyone)

pick who you would prefer don't get bogged down in your draft position (I guess t make it easier you can think they are both still available at 16).

Cuningham or Howard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 9 of 31

Jump to: