RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/21/18 11:42 pm    ::: Minnesota Lynx 2019 Reply Reply with quote

As I've said before, the biggest threats to MIN's championship chances are LA and age... Idea

Well, LA got them, and Whalen has now retired... Shocked

What next for the Lynx? Question

They likely can keep the championship window open, but they won't be one of the favorites anymore... who can they add? Confused

Thanks for all the great memories Lindsay! Mr. Green

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/21/18 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well they at least had a great (surprisingly) positive in Fagbenle.

they will also get a good guard at #5, which is needed because Seimone sometimes looks like Seimone and sometimes looks like she is near the end of her career. And we know Wright is near the end of hers. That leaves guard pretty thin.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/22/18 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well they at least had a great (surprisingly) positive in Fagbenle.

they will also get a good guard at #5, which is needed because Seimone sometimes looks like Seimone and sometimes looks like she is near the end of her career. And we know Wright is near the end of hers. That leaves guard pretty thin.

Dallas is #5 Minny might get left with Arike Neverpassestherockay Huh Shades? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/22/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if they keep Larkins as their veteran post off the bench? Arike seems a given to replace Augustus.

PG: Robinson/Wright
SG: Augustus/Ogunbowale/Jones
SF: Moore/Zandalasini
PF: Brunson/Larkins/#16 pick(Caliya Robinson?)
C: Fowles/Fagbenle

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/22/18 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Age and injury have caught up with the Lynx but any team with Fowles and Moore should be a contender. Now they will have some cap space and room for another starter (or 2) so they could pick up someone in FA, or trade their draft pick for a good player to fill the void. Lynx are not necessarily done yet. But they need to really manage the minutes of Brunson and Augustus next year so that they have something in the tank for the playoffs.

Does look like Jones is not their PG of the future. CZ also has not been nearly as impressive starting as she was coming off the bench - but it may be teams just figured her out.

Maybe the will go after Dantas - she never played as well in Atlanta as she did for the Lynx.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Ionescu should be counted out of the draft -- though I don't think she could be counted in either. But how would she fit with the Lynx?

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't think Ionescu should be counted out of the draft -- though I don't think she could be counted in either. But how would she fit with the Lynx?

Ionescu will be the #1 pick regardless if it's the 2019 or 2020 draft. Indiana would get their starting PG for many, many years. McCowan falls to Vegas, Chicago might pass on Brown and take a guard(Durr or even Samuelson) and Brown falls to New York.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I don't know if she'd the absolute nailed on #1 if she comes out (she would be if I were picking, based on what I've seen), but there's no way in hell she's there at #6. And basically all Minnesota have to trade at this point is their 1sts, Moore and Fowles. So she's not going to Minnesota unless she stays in school and next year is a disaster for the Lynx.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I don't know if she'd the absolute nailed on #1 if she comes out (she would be if I were picking, based on what I've seen), but there's no way in hell she's there at #6. And basically all Minnesota have to trade at this point is their 1sts, Moore and Fowles. So she's not going to Minnesota unless she stays in school and next year is a disaster for the Lynx.

Or if someone hires Michael Cooper and he trades away a lottery pick for a bench player

PostPosted: 08/22/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Agreed , Ionescu goes #1 if the right team gets the #1 pick . With the needs for Bigs in this draft , taking Her at #1 could force a team to do more rebuilding than before. She would be the best selection though as far as Pro-Ready goes.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a huge Sparks fan, but I will really miss Whalen. What a terrific competitor. She killed my team again and again. I hope she has a great coaching career.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/22/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am having a strange vision of Sloot in a Lynx uniform.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/22/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Did that same vision have Maya in a Wings Uni as well ? Wink

PostPosted: 08/22/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

NO. I want J-Spoon's vision to have Maya in Dream Uni. What psychedelics do you need J-Spoon?

LynxFan32

PostPosted: 08/22/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

if sloot and Charles end up in a lynx uniform next season....everyone will hate us as lynx fans and they will hate the lynx again

PostPosted: 08/22/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LynxFan32 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

if sloot and Charles end up in a lynx uniform next season....everyone will hate us as lynx fans and they will hate the lynx again

If that happens even SpaceJunkie will have to say something nice about Reeve.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

NO. I want J-Spoon's vision to have Maya in Dream Uni. What psychedelics do you need J-Spoon?

Ohhhhh in comes the plug ! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/22/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would be the motivation for Chicago to deal away the only star player that has been happy to stay with the team?

Reeve can no longer rely on gifts. She’s gotta get good at her job. Find the hidden gems that are out there, and hopefully draft a post player in the first round.

Now that Reeve has freed up additional capital by pushing Whalen out the door, it wouldn’t be surprising if she went after one of those beleaguered post players.

Wings fans aren’t happy with Glory Johnson? Really? They’d be happier with the #6 pick? Value-wise, I think that would intrigue Reeve, but the whole Griner ordeal left her looking forever kooky to me. Unless Reeve is getting desperate enough to drop her standards, Glory doesn’t seem to pass the no-knucklehead test.

Another player with high knucklehead potential, Bone, could be the odd man out in LVA, but according to Megdal, she’s making $112K. Can you imagine Reeve paying Bone $112K a year after not wanting to pay Howard the same? The ridicule would be immense. The only way Bone should end up with the Lynx is if Laimbeer cut her and the Lynx picks her up at a renegotiated price, say $80K. Even at that price, she may not pass the no-knucklehead requirement.

Hamby is a RFA that Laimbeer may let go, so maybe you could throw a low-ball offer at her. Even she is somewhat high on the knucklehead scale.

Dantas returning would be intriguing considering the success the Lynx had with her. Can she stay healthy? Lynx have three second rounders.

It’s hard finding good players at a fair price. This is why should hold onto players like Howard that you already have and should know what you got.
Man, ATL got Breland for free. How’d that happen?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/18 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what happens with Augustus? She was benched for the fourth quarter in the biggest game of the season for a relative unknown.

She's not the player she once was, and was below average on both sides of the ball according to the ratings (whatever those may be worth). She turns 35 in April and clearly isn't going to get better.

Rebekkah Brunson turns 37 in December and though she's still a solid defender, she's below-average offensively. On the right team, surrounded by youth and scorers, she might still be valuable -- but I don't see Minnesota as being that team.

For the sake of argument, let's say neither Brunson or Augustus start next year. With Whalen gone, the returning starters are

Maya Moore, who turns 30 next year and is coming off her worst season

Sylvia Fowles, who turns 33 in October

Possible replacements:

Danielle Robinson, turns 30 next May, an A/TO below 2.0, no perimeter threat, decent defender

Cecilia Zandalasini, turns 23 so should improve on her 8.0 PER (15.0 is average). Good three-point shooter, but how many teams in the league would she start for?

Temi Fagbenle, turns 26, had her best game against LA. Could be a nice post in the mold of Natasha Howard, LaToya Sanders. Or not.

Tanisha Wright, turns 35 in November. 39.6% from three, career best; 37.6% from two, career worst. Looked to be in good shape, high IQ, but again, how many teams would she start for?

Alexis Jones, 25 in May, way below average in offensive and defensive ratings. 6.2 PER (?!). 18/17 A/TO doesn't seem to indicate a PG.

It's a good draft, but No. 6 isn't likely to be an immediate impact player who can share the load with Augustus and Moore.

I will give a lot of credit to Cheryl Reeve if she sticks with this, because it sure looks like it's going to be a long rebuild.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever they draft at #6 could potentially start(Ogunbowale, Durr?). That's Augustus' replacement. Fagbenle would replace Brunson. Their main bench players would be Wright, Zandalasini and whatever FA Reeve targets.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/22/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe this shouldn't be a tough rebuild for next season. The core is Moore and Fowles; everyone else is replaceable. The Lynx need to get younger. They can't afford to have expensive backups like Wright, and I don't see her as a 30 minute a game starter. Augustus and Brunson are both fine but certainly not vital. Moore and Fowles by themselves should be enough to take a team to the playoffs, and sculpting a team around those two stars should allow the team to be far more prepared for the playoffs.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/22/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brunson and Augustus are both still viable WNBA players, they're just not stars any more. They probably bring both back if they want to come. I think they need two pieces: One genuinely meaningful free agent pickup (not a pushing-40 fill-in, or maybe-rotation backup, but an actual starting-calibre addition); and hit a home run with the #6 pick.

If they get both of those, with maybe Maya bouncing back up a bit after the drop-off this season, and the defense they still seem able to build with Reeve+Fowles+virtually anyone, then I think they can be very competitive again very quickly. But they really do need to refresh. Maya, Fowles, Reeve and filler has been shown this season to not be enough.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Me too! We should form a Psychic Friends Network!

PostPosted: 08/22/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Brunson and Augustus are both still viable WNBA players, they're just not stars any more. They probably bring both back if they want to come. I think they need two pieces: One genuinely meaningful free agent pickup (not a pushing-40 fill-in, or maybe-rotation backup, but an actual starting-calibre addition); and hit a home run with the #6 pick.

If they get both of those, with maybe Maya bouncing back up a bit after the drop-off this season, and the defense they still seem able to build with Reeve+Fowles+virtually anyone, then I think they can be very competitive again very quickly. But they really do need to refresh. Maya, Fowles, Reeve and filler has been shown this season to not be enough.

I didn't mean to suggest that Augustus and Brunson should be let go. If they could get something in a trade for one of them that would be fine, but the main point is that the Lynx can't hold on to both of them as well as Wright and Larkins. Both are still quality players and could have a role. But the league is getting quicker and the Lynx need to do so as well. As much as people loved Whalen I believe her play was the single biggest problem for the team in 2018.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/23/18 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s hard finding good players at a fair price. This is why should hold onto players like Howard that you already have and should know what you got.
Man, ATL got Breland for free. How’d that happen?

What if Reeve is so obsessed with her vet starters, she decided she didn't want to risk making them look "bad" by having any top-notch backups behind them? Reeve couldn't risk the Lynx making it to or winning the WNBA Finals if Brunson ever got injured (or if it didn't involved Brunson playing huge minutes), because Howard would just as easily be able to replace her in the lineup, so Reeve is probably thrilled the Lynx lost in the first round of the playoffs with Brunson out because it makes Brunson look better. Shocked That's why most Lynx fans are mad at me for being upset that the Lynx got rid of Howard and sucked this year: they'd rather go almost .500 and lose in the first round of the playoffs (and/or never win another title, while Seattle wins the next three titles) than have anybody other than (besides Maya & Fowles) Brunson, Augustus, or Whalen play any major role in the Lynx winning a title (even as a bench player, because I never said the Lynx ever had to get rid of any of their vet starters—it's who Reeve has on the bench I complain about).

I think Chicago used their core on Quigley, and Breland decided she'd rather play for THE DREAM TEAM than the Sky.
Otherwise top free agents rarely ever switch teams, so I don't know if I can count on the Lynx signing anybody who'll make any more of an impact than their big signing of Kizer this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: