RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/05/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's a wake up call for the league to have another star player sit out. Moore sitting out helps the players side come the new CBA.

+1 let's just hope it doesn't start a trend
So far Skylar,Maya,Angel all out for 2019. #SeriousStarPower WNBA #Presidentless

PostPosted: 02/05/19 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Cheryl Reeve's radio interview today was an embarrassment. She was rude to the only damn sports talk show host who mixes in Lynx coverage during the summer as he would Timberwolves in the winter. Completely unwarranted reaction to him asking her to address the rumor if a schism between herself and Moore. Reeve could have simply said, no. And moved on. She wants women's sports to be covered like the men, so when they do, she throws a fit. Cant have it both ways. Let's see if she is capable of developing a young talent. She has been on easy street for years running these starters into the ground.

Reeve's always been kinda crotchety, for want of a better term, so I can't say I'm that surprised by that report.

But on the last note I definitely agree - it's going to be interesting to see what she can do with a very different roster. The thing is, at the very least they're going to have Robinson, Augustus, Christmas-Kelly and presumably Fowles on the roster - which is still a bunch of veterans to run into the ground. There might be some more youth on the roster but I still expect the Aglerian tendency towards favouring the old-guard to be very much in evidence.

PostPosted: 02/05/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Cheryl Reeve's radio interview today was an embarrassment. She was rude to the only damn sports talk show host who mixes in Lynx coverage during the summer as he would Timberwolves in the winter. Completely unwarranted reaction to him asking her to address the rumor if a schism between herself and Moore. Also went after a long time tv sports anchor broke the story last month. She said no other reporter in town would have done that. He is a reporter, Cheryl! . She wants women's sports to be covered like the men, so when they do, she throws a fit. Cant have it both ways. Let's see if she is capable of developing a young talent. She has been on easy street for years running these starters into the ground.

Is there a link?

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/06/19 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Cheryl Reeve's radio interview today was an embarrassment. She was rude to the only damn sports talk show host who mixes in Lynx coverage during the summer as he would Timberwolves in the winter. Completely unwarranted reaction to him asking her to address the rumor if a schism between herself and Moore. Also went after a long time tv sports anchor broke the story last month. She said no other reporter in town would have done that. He is a reporter, Cheryl! . She wants women's sports to be covered like the men, so when they do, she throws a fit. Cant have it both ways. Let's see if she is capable of developing a young talent. She has been on easy street for years running these starters into the ground.

So in other words, she was an embarrassment because she responded just like so many male coaches have when supposed "journalists" report on gossip without actually having any legitimately sourced information--gossip which today proved to be utterly unfounded and inaccurate--and called them out on their BS. Reeve wants media coverage of the WNBA. That doesn't mean she can't also ask for quality coverage by responsible journalists who at least make a showing of using the same journalistic ethics that their main news desks do. Calling a turd a turd is not an embarrassment.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v8V8tPLdwJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/19 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed the Maya footage while this guy talked about the situation.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xc8tT012zb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MNfan22

PostPosted: 02/06/19 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Oh please Laughing Yes Reeve was testy at some questions but she has a point that is missed by Dr Dan the windbag who truly enjoys listening to his own voice. (my goodness can he talk around a question looking for you to agree with his long winded point of view) Anyway I get her side of the "you can't have it both ways" argument.

It's not ok to largely ignor me but then feel its ok to be critical of me and not have me call you on it.
Don't think that on the regular you can be demeaning, condescending, largely dismissive of me/my sport/team, basically treat us as if we're irrelevant and then think it's ok for you to rip me, criticize me, run with rumors without ever coming to me or the subject for insight or facts and think that I'm going to be ok with you. So, yea a journalist/reporter/radio host cant have it both ways either. Put the same effort into your fact checking & sources for the women as you do with the men.

That "long time tv sports anchor" at 'CCO for the most part could give a rats behind (where did this saying come from?) about girls & women's sports and he doesn't hide it well. He's kind of an asshat and is as dismissive and condescending as they come when it comes to women's sports in this town.

So in a lot of ways I think Reeve was right in that I don't think the other tv sport people would have just tossed out a rumor like that at the tail end of a broadcast, and not at least tried to reach out to the Lynx or Maya, you know maybe put a little effort into fact checking on the situation? They ALL do a better job of covering the women's pro teams & Gopher women's sport then 'CCO so no surprise I guess …

PostPosted: 02/06/19 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Reeve comes in about the 66-minute mark here: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-dan-barreiro-show-26981004/

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/06/19 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Coach Reeve comes in about the 66-minute mark here: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-dan-barreiro-show-26981004/

Yeah, he's basically presenting her with a false dichotomy. That either she has to accept no media coverage or be willing to accept the way Mike Max did a hack job of journalism.

Kent Youngblood with the Star Tribune was able to shoot down the trade and rift rumors within a day of Max's report, so with just a little leg work Max should have been able to get the story correct without all the extra drama he created.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
That "long time tv sports anchor" at 'CCO for the most part could give a rats behind (where did this saying come from?) about girls & women's sports and he doesn't hide it well. He's kind of an asshat and is as dismissive and condescending as they come when it comes to women's sports in this town.

So in a lot of ways I think Reeve was right in that I don't think the other tv sport people would have just tossed out a rumor like that at the tail end of a broadcast, and not at least tried to reach out to the Lynx or Maya, you know maybe put a little effort into fact checking on the situation? They ALL do a better job of covering the women's pro teams & Gopher women's sport then 'CCO so no surprise I guess …

I despise Reeve more than anybody, but I agree I don't care for Mike Max either. I only watched WCCO for Mark Rosen until he just recently retired (I wonder how he would've handled it). But the lack of information given afterward only fueled that my wish that Maya should not want to play for Minnesota ever again after Reeve decided a year ago to make sure Breanna Stweart & Sue Bird end up with more titles than Maya (diminishing Maya's image) is coming true. Twisted Evil (It's probably a good idea to stay away from the Lynx until knowing for sure it's safe that the Curse has been broken).

TigerVol

PostPosted: 02/06/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
This sort of gobbledy-gook is why people don't take the W seriously. When was the last time an NBA star just took a year off for no particular reason?

When was the last time a NBA star had to play 12 months out of the year? NBA stars are given both the off season time and the financial resources to chase whatever other passions they have (you know, like strip clubs and Kardashians).

Male professional athletes often refer to the "slog" of the season and how it is mentally and physically draining. Well, what if that season never really ended and one just bled into the next?

I wish her the best and hope she is able to get whatever she needs out of her season away and comes back mentally, physically, and spiritually recharged.

That doesn't really apply here, since Moore took the winter off also.

Besides which, it usually isn't 12 months a year anymore. Most of the big stars are playing half seasons overseas these days.

And yeah, the financial resources is what I was getting at. The W needs to pay better so this won't happen. This is 100% about the CBA.

How is this 100% about the CBA?

She's not getting paid enough to put her body through the rigors of a WNBA season. Unlike previous sit-outs, she didn't play this winter so she's healthy and rested. She's sitting out purely because the W doesn't pay enough. It's not a coincidence that she's doing it immediately ahead of the CBA negotiations. The message she's sending is clear. Pay us like you value us or we won't value you.

To me the fact she is rested and is not just sitting out the WNBA season negates your position.

She is healthy and rested and is choosing not to play in 2019.

I'm no fan but unless you know her personally it seems presumptuous to say she is sitting out purely because the wnba doesn't pay enough when she has said otherwise.

You may not agree with or understand the reasons she has stated but they seem to ring true with who she has portrayed herself to be.

Using her family and faith as a misdirect for her "real" and reasons... Does not seem in character for this player.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The thing is, at the very least they're going to have Robinson, Augustus, Christmas-Kelly and presumably Fowles on the roster - which is still a bunch of veterans to run into the ground. There might be some more youth on the roster but I still expect the Aglerian tendency towards favouring the old-guard to be very much in evidence.

I guess we will know about Dantas pretty soon. That lineup looks a lot better than Indiana and NY, probably better than Dallas so Lynx may be fighting it out with the Sky for the final lottery spot. If Brunson comes back or Dantas isn't matched and steps up this could well be a playoff team. There always seems to be one team that unexpectedly falls due to injury, chemistry or whatever so I would guess the Lynx still make the playoffs.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/06/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That lineup looks a lot better than Indiana and NY, probably better than Dallas so Lynx may be fighting it out with the Sky for the final lottery spot. If Brunson comes back or Dantas isn't matched and steps up this could well be a playoff team. There always seems to be one team that unexpectedly falls due to injury, chemistry or whatever so I would guess the Lynx still make the playoffs.

Remember that the lottery spots are done on a 2 year average so the Lynx would have to suck pretty spectacularly this season to qualify.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To qualify for the lottery, all you have to do is miss the playoffs. To get good odds at #1, they’d have to be like IND-level bad, which they shouldn’t be.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/06/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Remember that the lottery spots are done on a 2 year average so the Lynx would have to suck pretty spectacularly this season to qualify.

The lottery odds, not the lottery spots, which go to the non-playoff teams. But if the Lynx go 9-25 or finish with the 2nd worst record in the league, like the Indiana Fever did in "Year 2", then I'm going to be even more amused than I already am.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why should we suspicious of loudly proclaimed religious motivations for someone's actions? Golly, one wonders. Surely nothing bad has ever come from it.

Of course a truly cynical person would find it convenient that this calling came the first time in her life she wasn't going have star teammates at every other position. Luckily, I am not that far gone.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The thing is, at the very least they're going to have Robinson, Augustus, Christmas-Kelly and presumably Fowles on the roster - which is still a bunch of veterans to run into the ground. There might be some more youth on the roster but I still expect the Aglerian tendency towards favouring the old-guard to be very much in evidence.

I guess we will know about Dantas pretty soon. That lineup looks a lot better than Indiana and NY, probably better than Dallas so Lynx may be fighting it out with the Sky for the final lottery spot. If Brunson comes back or Dantas isn't matched and steps up this could well be a playoff team. There always seems to be one team that unexpectedly falls due to injury, chemistry or whatever so I would guess the Lynx still make the playoffs.

Christmas was a very good get considering Reeve knew Maya wasn’t coming back. Whalen being gone is a net positive.... no more musical PG’s and it frees up her salary. Although Reeve really gambled on early signing a player who was in a cast for 2-3 months after her surgery and STILL isn’t cleared for full practice. Supposedly Fowles is fully healthy, unlike last season. Hopefully she can stay that way. Lynx are still a one-MVP team, unlike other “playoff” teams like CHI and ATL. Looking like Dantas is coming back and not costing anything extra. Things could be a lot worse for the Lynx and Reeve hasn’t even given up any draft picks yet. Now she’s just got to stop toying around with Brunson. Keep pursuing a pricey free agent post (Zahui) or a trade (Chiney, Meesseman) and assume Brunson isn’t coming back. They played musical PG last year. Let’s not be playing musical PF this year just because Brunson (or Reeve) doesn’t know that it’s time for her to retire.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/06/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Why should we suspicious of loudly proclaimed religious motivations for someone's actions? Golly, one wonders. Surely nothing bad has ever come from it.

Of course a truly cynical person would find it convenient that this calling came the first time in her life she wasn't going have star teammates at every other position. Luckily, I am not that far gone.

Conspiracy SpaceJunkie could see Maya being too nice to demand a trade for reasons I've said hundreds of times before, so she decides to sit out instead. But I guess we'll never know.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Conspiracy SpaceJunkie could see Maya being too nice to demand a trade for reasons I've said hundreds of times before, so she decides to sit out instead. But I guess we'll never know.

She signed a contract. It wouldn’t make sense to sign a one-year deal if she’s sitting out. She signed a multi year deal as confirmed by Youngblood. All your conspiracy theories belong to US.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 02/06/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I'm not sure what your position is.

Are you suspicious of what she will do with her time because she is super religious and some super religious people do things that aren't good?

Or are you questioning that family and religion are her motivations for not playing at all in 2019.

Those are two totally different things.

It feels like you don't like the reasons cited and wouldnt make the same choice yourself so you've decided Moore must be lying.

I don't see how you think this is sudden? From where I'm sitting she has always been super religious. She has always seemed a little awkward or a step apart from other folks in the league outside of the bball on the court (based on a limited set of interviews/videos from Olympics and such)

Separate from that she mentioned spending time with her family. There can be a lot of more specific reasons that has become a pressing priority for her.

This seems like who she has always portrayed herself to be.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And has never played without a surrounding cast of players that can make it easier Cool All good reasons right Wink

shontay33

PostPosted: 02/06/19 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
This sort of gobbledy-gook is why people don't take the W seriously. When was the last time an NBA star just took a year off for no particular reason?

When was the last time a NBA star had to play 12 months out of the year? NBA stars are given both the off season time and the financial resources to chase whatever other passions they have (you know, like strip clubs and Kardashians).

Male professional athletes often refer to the "slog" of the season and how it is mentally and physically draining. Well, what if that season never really ended and one just bled into the next?

I wish her the best and hope she is able to get whatever she needs out of her season away and comes back mentally, physically, and spiritually recharged.

Besides which, it usually isn't 12 months a year anymore. Most of the big stars are playing half seasons overseas these days.

And yeah, the financial resources is what I was getting at. The W needs to pay better so this won't happen. This is 100% about the CBA.

She's not getting paid enough to put her body through the rigors of a WNBA season. Unlike previous sit-outs, she didn't play this winter so she's healthy and rested. She's sitting out purely because the W doesn't pay enough. It's not a coincidence that she's doing it immediately ahead of the CBA negotiations. The message she's sending is clear. Pay us like you value us or we won't value you.

To me the fact she is rested and is not just sitting out the WNBA season negates your position.

I'm no fan but unless you know her personally it seems presumptuous to say she is sitting out purely because the wnba doesn't pay enough when she has said otherwise.

You may not agree with or understand the reasons she has stated but they seem to ring true with who she has portrayed herself to be.

Using her family and faith as a misdirect for her "real" and reasons... Does not seem in character for this player.

Tiger Vol, why are the reasons that she gave not adequate enough? I and many others think that they are. I think she is to be admired for wanting to spend time with her family and most of all pursue what has been on her heart to do for years helping and reaching other people. Not many people are willing to do that or put their jobs on hold to do that.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 02/06/19 12:08 pm    ::: Wish her the best Reply Reply with quote

I’ve never been a huge Maya fan. Don’t get me wrong, I admire her talent for sure, but she has never been my favorite player. Not even close. In some ways she has always reminded me of A-Rod, the baseball player. Tons of talent. Crazy good at the game. But, somehow, I wasn’t sorry when he left the Mariners. It was like he was too publicly smooth for my heart to get a grip on. Maya has been like that, for me.

So I am fine with her doing what she needs to do. I went to a Bible school for a year and my wife is an ex-missionary, lol. I understand wanting something meaningful in your life...something more than fame or money. I sincerely hope she finds what she is looking for.

The Lynx were always going to go through a really hard time as their greatest players retire one by one. Maya’s leaving just moved that forward a little.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think her stated reasons are a smokescreen, she's sitting out for CBA leverage.

I'm being optimistic, BTW. When WBB players get religious it usually turns out badly, and almost always in the same direction. See Candice Wiggins, Sophia Young, Sandora Irvin, goddamn Camille Lenoir, etc.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Tiger Vol, why are the reasons that she gave not adequate enough? I and many others think that they are. I think she is to be admired for wanting to spend time with her family and most of all pursue what has been on her heart to do for years helping and reaching other people. Not many people are willing to do that or put their jobs on hold to do that.

You need to ask pilight.

I agree - I take her reasons at face value. They seem completely in character for who she has always seemed to be.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 15 of 31

Jump to: