RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/20/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
When Phillips retired she said nothing about coaching in the WNBA...I wonder what changed?

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/14/former-dallas-wings-guard-erin-phillips-announces-retirement-wnba

Quote:
Former Dallas Wings guard Erin Phillips announced her retirement from the WNBA in an article with AdelaideNow.com. Phillips was waived by the Wings last week and cleared waivers without being picked up by a new team.

In the article, Phillips says she plans to spend more time with her family in McKinney and possibly continue her Australian football career.

People are allowed to change their future plans. However, I don't think it was a coincidence that when Cambage was thinking about making a return to the league, Phillips was hired as the "Director of player and franchise development" ...Then just 5 months later in October....B.Pettis (asst coach) announces her retirement and Phillips takes her spot as the asst coach...What's so funny is that Pettis' retirement only lasted 1 season. She's now an asst coach for the Chicago Sky...I think Pettis was forced out to make room for Phillips.

Again, I’m speculating but a lot of the pieces line up:
-Wingd trade Riquana a 45 point score for a vet near retirement coming off a bum knee
-said vet lives in DFW metro
-vet is high energy, always a floor general in every sense
-is the first player/coach/owner or manager at the very first Wings season ticket holder function and her presence speaks more than Fred, the owner and Especially Bibb if he was there cuz I don’t even recall him being in the house

It is my suspicion that she came to Dallas to end up coaching. Everything about her says she was gonna be a coach. I also, thought when she was released there wasn’t an understanding that she was gonna be on the coaching staff. Did Liz help her situation? Maybe, but it all pieces line up that she was going to be on the staff.

Now, an article that comes up shortly after she was waived, was she gonna disclose that the plan was for her to join the staff the following year? Probably not.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/21/19 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phillips had no say so in getting traded to Dallas. LA was looking to open up a roster spot and dump salary to make room for C.Gray. The Sparks traded Phillips in March of 2016 for a player who ruptured her left Achilles tendon during the offseason ( R.Williams) and would not play for the entire 2016 season. LA then made the draft day trade for Gray.

I do believe Wings management thought that by acquiring Phillips, Cambage would be more willing to play in Dallas. So if the plan was for Phillips to be an asst coach in Dallas. It had more to do with Cambage returning to the league. .

tfan

PostPosted: 05/21/19 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

People are allowed to change their future plans. However, I don't think it was a coincidence that when Cambage was thinking about making a return to the league, Phillips was hired as the "Director of player and franchise development" ...Then just 5 months later in October....B.Pettis (asst coach) announces her retirement and Phillips takes her spot as the asst coach...What's so funny is that Pettis' retirement only lasted 1 season. She's now an asst coach for the Chicago Sky...I think Pettis was forced out to make room for Phillips.

Why would they need to promote Phillips from 4th coach to 2nd/3rd coach to get Cambage to come over? Seems like 4th coach would be good enough. Williams/Bibb could have decided Pettis wasn't a fit.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/19 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dS7Alchy41w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 05/21/19 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Why would they need to promote Phillips from 4th coach to 2nd/3rd coach to get Cambage to come over? Seems like 4th coach would be good enough. Williams/Bibb could have decided Pettis wasn't a fit.

Maybe to give Phillips a bigger role on the coaching staff. Player development and 4th asst coaches usually sit behind the head and lead asst coaches. That's just my guess.....Pettis however did do the same thing in 2011 when she announced her retirement from coaching ( Phoenix)...So it's hard to know what's going on in the mind of Pettis.

I still believe the Cambage situation had a lot to do with Dallas acquiring Phillips....Who in the hell trades for a bench player that's making max money when she's only going to play 10-15 mpg?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/19 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I still believe the Cambage situation had a lot to do with Dallas acquiring Phillips....Who in the hell trades for a bench player that's making max money when she's only going to play 10-15 mpg?

Leave Tayler Hill out of this!

zune69

PostPosted: 05/21/19 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how much value Johnson has around the league. But I definitely think the Wings should consider trading her. Dallas is 3 years away from being legit contenders. We should be giving our young talent as many minutes as possible to fast track their development. Stevens should be playing 28+ mpg. Dallas also needs to find some talent at the SF position.

Trades I would consider:

Johnson for Copper
Johnson for Gabby
Johnson for Vivians (would never happen but it's worth a try)

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/21/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Johnson for Copper
Johnson for Gabby

I think the Glory Johnson to Chicago ship has sailed. Wouldn’t be a fan of trading her for Gabby. Copper is a RFA next year so I guess that makes sense, maybe a three team. Very Happy

Quietstorm1124

PostPosted: 05/21/19 12:07 pm    ::: Liz Cambage Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/VinceSapienza/status/1130632257880748034/

PostPosted: 05/22/19 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson listed as suspended (temporary) on the transactions page.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/19 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

That means she counts toward the roster total.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/22/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I'm guessing she asked for some time off and this probably means she'll join the team by midseason?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/22/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I'm guessing she asked for some time off and this probably means she'll join the team by midseason?

Or it just means they wanted to leave the option open for her to return, and felt that carrying her number on the salary cap was worth it. They get to use the extra roster spot anyway, and it's not the most expensive group by any means.

PostPosted: 05/22/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings waive Gustafson and Burke

PostPosted: 05/22/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Poor Burke.....Gustaffson needs a few years overseas imo.

PostPosted: 05/22/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

On the court Burke makes things happen, an offensevi threat. Plays smart

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/22/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA09,

I was really hoping I would wake up tomorrow to find out we traded: Taylor Hill, Meagan and Kaela to Chicago for Diamond Deshields, that way we could keep both Brooke and Kennedy.

I can't believe they chose Kaela over Kennedy, especially after such a good camp showing. I'm so befuddled by hearing this news, I don't know how to process it all yet.

Please help me understand what just happened?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/22/19 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this was more of Burke outplaying Hill but not being able to cut hill and swallow that horrible contract. Burke should still be here tho2s sucks badly. She lead us in scoring with 31 points over 3 games and she gets waived Laughing

#Suck4Cox

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Really, based really on a game and a half of preseason action?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

McCarty/(Diggins-Smith)/(Jefferson)
Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Johnson/Thorton/Plaisance
Harrison/IMS

Either one of Diggins or Jefferson will play soon or maybe they kept Davis as a back up PG option over Burke?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so

Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Harrison/IMS

Either one of Diggins or Jefferson will play soon or maybe they kept Davis as a back up PG option over Burke?

Where's Ogunbowale?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
so

Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Harrison/IMS

Where's Ogunbowale?

crap sorry

Ogunbowale/McCarty/(Diggins)/(Jefferson)
Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Harrison/IMS

Dallas can carry 13 as Jefferson is temporarily suspended

Does Arike start at PG? I guess that makes the most sense but would Agler start a rookie out of position as his PG?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I'm picking Chicago to make the playoffs. Dallas making the playoffs as the 8th seed would not shock me.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/25/19 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mojo

PostPosted: 05/22/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
so

Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Harrison/IMS

Where's Ogunbowale?

crap sorry

Ogunbowale/McCarty/(Diggins)/(Jefferson)
Gray/Hill
Stevens/Davis
Harrison/IMS

Dallas can carry 13 as Jefferson is temporarily suspended

Does Arike start at PG? I guess that makes the most sense but would Agler start a rookie out of position as his PG?

Starting lineup
McCarty, pg
Gray
Davis
Thornton
Johnson

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/19 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Arike starts. Burke lost her job to McCarty based on need. Burke is probably the better player, but Dallas is desperate for a PG. I wonder if another team will pick-up Gustafson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 38 of 44

Jump to: